Photo
- - - - -

If we fail to reload with top UFAs we should?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

I used Capgeek's qualifying offer calculator so I guess they didn't follow the NHL rules correctly, but you're right on the value its 100% of last years salary not 105%.

You're using last years numbers on RFA compensation though and chances are Quincey will fall into the 2nd round pick category this year rather than the 1st and 3rd rd Picks.

Either way the odds of someone signing Quincey to an offersheet are very slim. There have only been 6 players signed to one since the salary cap came out and only 1 where the contract wasn't matched.
Quincey's options are likely to be accepting the Wings qualifying offer or take them to arbitration but its almost a certainty he'll be a Wing next year.

...and honestly, if Quincey were to accept the $3.125, then I guess it would be ok, but I honestly hope he is NOT a Red Wing this season...Maybe Holland would trade his rights and Kindl at the draft for something...I am hoping for Detroit three defensive signings being Suter/Schultz and then DeKeyser as #7...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#42 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

...and honestly, if Quincey were to accept the $3.125, then I guess it would be ok, but I honestly hope he is NOT a Red Wing this season...Maybe Holland would trade his rights and Kindl at the draft for something...I am hoping for Detroit three defensive signings being Suter/Schultz and then DeKeyser as #7...

Even if the Wings signed Suter, Schultz and DeKeyser I doub't they'd pass Quincey, Ericsson or even Smith on the depth chart, they'd likely get a year in Grand Rapids unless they had an unbelievable training camp.

A trade is possible but more likely we'd end up with

Suter-Kronwall
White-Ericsson
Smith-Quincey
Kindl - Since I doubt management would want talented rookies like Schultz or DeKeyser sitting in the press box in Detroit rather than playing big minutes in GR.

#43 ozone923

ozone923

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

I seriously doubt we will get/go after Schultz. Our history isn't really littered with signings like that. We went after Brunnstrom, but once the sweepstakes were on we ducked out early. Kids like that get hyped so much and then the risk becomes greater the further they get hyped. I would prefer to go after Suter (obs) and then Wideman as another right-handed shot. That way the D-corps would look like:

Kronwall - Suter
Ericsson - Wideman
Smith - White
Kindl

I don't see us paying over 7mil for Suter (that would go against the Red Wing Way) and that earns the respect of the league, which is partly why we are able to attract big names. That leaves room for 4mil for Wideman. Dropping Quincey is 'quinceyssential' (Ha, get it?) to this plan, so I agree with that notion.

#44 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

I seriously doubt we will get/go after Schultz. Our history isn't really littered with signings like that. We went after Brunnstrom, but once the sweepstakes were on we ducked out early. Kids like that get hyped so much and then the risk becomes greater the further they get hyped. I would prefer to go after Suter (obs) and then Wideman as another right-handed shot. That way the D-corps would look like:

Kronwall - Suter
Ericsson - Wideman
Smith - White
Kindl

I don't see us paying over 7mil for Suter (that would go against the Red Wing Way) and that earns the respect of the league, which is partly why we are able to attract big names. That leaves room for 4mil for Wideman. Dropping Quincey is 'quinceyssential' (Ha, get it?) to this plan, so I agree with that notion.

Yes, I would go for that roster too, but man do I really want to get these young studs signed in our organiztion...We always talk about the future and our youngsters and prospects...I just think this team is better off 10 years from now if they let Smith/Schultz/Dekeyser grow along with the leadership of Suter/Kronwall rather than just file holes every off season or two...

EDIT: You have to remember too, if the Cap goes back down around $63M or so, having players like Schultz/Dekeyser under contract wont cause any issues like there would be with Quincey and Wideman around $4M-$5M each...We will have our top 4 defenders in Suter/Kronner/White/Ericsson there should be no issues in having two youngsters round out the top 6 long with a #7...Smith is the real deal and it seems Schultz is a close to the real deal as anyone can be...in 10 years, when Kronner and Suter are approaching a careeer, these two will be running our D...I just hope it happens!

Edited by LeftWinger, 18 June 2012 - 05:28 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

#45 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

I know everyone is high on Parise and Suter, but lets assume we dont get them...the drop off is huge so wouldnt it be better to start the youth movemen? Next years UFA class is extremely loaded so I would prefer that even if our PO streak would come to an end ! Thoughts?

I think, we should go to the contract cap no matter what, but if we don't hit the salary cap I am okay. I just hope we add more players than we need and let them battle it out for who will be the team going forward. If the top UFA's arent here, then get more fresh blood.

Just never count on someone being UFA next year. Suter and Parise might still not hit the open market, so if they are there you should treat them as the only option if you want to make that sort of splash.

I often think it would be better not to get either of them if X player is available... but that isn't a wise decision as who knows what will be available.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#46 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

I think, we should go to the contract cap no matter what, but if we don't hit the salary cap I am okay. I just hope we add more players than we need and let them battle it out for who will be the team going forward. If the top UFA's arent here, then get more fresh blood.

Just never count on someone being UFA next year. Suter and Parise might still not hit the open market, so if they are there you should treat them as the only option if you want to make that sort of splash.

I often think it would be better not to get either of them if X player is available... but that isn't a wise decision as who knows what will be available.

This!

Whether Holland gets Suter/Parise or he doesn't, the needs are still there! The Cap space is still there! The are plenty of plan B players out there that might even help us out more...

www.thinkdunes.com

#47 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

Some thoughts....

IIRC dekeyser is going back for his senior year. So not someone we can sign this year. If the cap goes down-which it may, money will get tight real quick. But we will not know this untill well after Juy 1st. That will be interesting to watch, how many teams push right up to the 70 million mark, with an unknown future cap.

#48 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

In heaven, everything is fine.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

Because he made $3.125M last season, Holland only has to qualify him for the same $3.125M. Because he made over $1M. Holland must qualify him for that amount to keep him from becoming a UFA, I agree he could accept that offer, but we all know he is worth more on the open market, so if Holland qualified him he remains a RFA and Quincey could sign an offer sheet of from someone and Holland has 7 days to decide whether to match or recieve the compensation...

Also, it would not benefit either of them to go to arbitration...I would hope Quincey would just be a man and go somewhere else and not hold Ken Holland hostage. I am not disagreeing that he is worth more than $3.125M but since Holland is about to attempt to spend upwards of $16M on Parise/Suter, the two draft picks are more valuable. $4M to Quincey would just be wasting Cap space when he is at best a #4/#5 defender and not part of this reload. IF Quincey gets awarded too much money and it hinders our ability to properly reload, he will immediately become the next whipping boy, especially if he plays like the hot garbage he played like last season...for the money, I'd rather keep Kindl around for $800,000 than re-sign Quincey. I can think of a few Defenders who are a better value to this team than Quincey...who can be had for less...

I love how in the first paragraph you've convinced yourself that someone will sign him to an offer sheet that will cost them 2 or 3 draft pciks, and then in the second paragraph you describe him as a #4/#5 defender at best and that he finished the season by playing like "hot garbage". You're so adorable...

I will guarantee you cash money that we will receive no draft pick compensation for Quincey, and that the only way he does not play for Detroit next year is if either Holland does not submit a qualifying offer, or he walks away from the arbitration award.

#49 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

Some thoughts....

IIRC dekeyser is going back for his senior year. So not someone we can sign this year. If the cap goes down-which it may, money will get tight real quick. But we will not know this untill well after Juy 1st. That will be interesting to watch, how many teams push right up to the 70 million mark, with an unknown future cap.

Yes, Holland and Iltich persuaded him to go back to school, I am not sure the rules regarding this, I remember the Wings signed Abdelkader while he was at MSU, were they able to do so because they owned his rights? If not, then why couldn't they sign Danny while at WMU for his Senior year?

www.thinkdunes.com

#50 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

Yes, Holland and Iltich persuaded him to go back to school, I am not sure the rules regarding this, I remember the Wings signed Abdelkader while he was at MSU, were they able to do so because they owned his rights? If not, then why couldn't they sign Danny while at WMU for his Senior year?

If he signed a contract or even came to a pro camp he would be ineligible to play in the NCAA

#51 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:21 PM

MSU's season was over when Abby signed.

#52 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

MSU's season was over when Abby signed.

Oh....well, I still hope they sign him after his senior year...

www.thinkdunes.com

#53 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

On that we agree. We need good young RH D's, and he is one. Sign Schultz this year and maybe Widmen? That would give us 3 RH D this year. White is a UFA after this season, so down to 2 again. Dekeyser would be a nice pickup. he does need a season in GR.

#54 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

Sounds like Semin is a real possibility

From his twiiter account:

Alexander Semin‏@alexsemin
Remember Detroit press: if I'm Datsyuk's teammate in 1 week, plz use headline "Alex Seminem, aka Slim Sashady, signs with #RedWings." K? Thx

Edit: on second thought - this may be a fake account. I dunno, 15k followers.

Edited by Ozzie30, 25 June 2012 - 04:52 PM.

RIP #24

#55 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

i really think semin will be a redwing ... gotta believe parise will join that loser crosby now especially since its reported they hung out at the stanley cup game in l.a along with parise's family .... guess crosby banged them all

#56 YougotDatsyuked

YougotDatsyuked

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:51 PM

i really think semin will be a redwing ... gotta believe parise will join that loser crosby now especially since its reported they hung out at the stanley cup game in l.a along with parise's family .... guess crosby banged them all

LMFAO! I think Semin will play here if he is paired with Pasha.

#57 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:49 PM

Semin a Red Wing? No way, this guy is lazy and has attitude problems ANd will have a huge KHL offer.

I can't understand, how oeople are afraid of overpaying for Suter & Parise? You need to realize, guys like these two usually don't become UFA's.

So if we have to overpay for Suter, so be it we need him badly. Parise would be outstanding too, but Suter has to become our top prriority.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#58 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:10 PM

Any thoughts on Peter Mueller? RW player, 6'2" tall and born in Michigan. Colorado is letting him walk, so he'll be another possible UFA.

#59 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

Didn't Mueller have concussion problems? His stock has gone way down the past 2 years. He was always high on potential but never seemed to show it consistently.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#60 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

Posted Image
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!