• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#61 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,709 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

It's a facebook vote. Should Bettman be relieved of his duties?
Currently 585 votes yes and 10 votes no

Thank you for the information.

No wonder Bettman needs a lockout. He has to use all his time managing 10 facebook accounts.

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#62 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

Thank you for the information.

No wonder Bettman needs a lockout. He has to use all his time managing 10 facebook accounts.

Over 98%
The fans (where all the money comes from) have been screaming for him to be fired for almost 2 decades now and the owners just don't care.
Boycott the NHL until he is gone. Unfortunately that's all we can do

#63 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

The NHL is boycotting the NHL until you're gone.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#64 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,709 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

The NHL is boycotting the NHL until you're gone.

In Soviet Russia, NHL boycotts you.

(Sorry, in light of Z's recent comments, it had to be done.)

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#65 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Personally, after reading the Dan Boyle article saying that all the owners aren't on the same page and that it only takes 8 owners to carry a motion, i'm waiting for the owner of a team to come out and say enough is enough and they gotta get hockey going again. How many of you guys actually think that Ilich wants a lockout?

I love how the NHL's first statement said that the owners voted unanimously 30 to 0 in favor of a lockout. Wonder now how much truth there is to that or if only 8-10 voted in favor. Seems kinda sketchy to think that the Leafs, Rangers, Wings, Bruins, Jets, Canucks, Kings, Habs, and other profitable teams and defending champs would in any way, shape or form want a work stoppage. I call bulls***.

Boyle should have kept his mouth shut. Even if he was privy to some inside information (Which he probably isnt) does he honestly beleive there arent players out there who just want to play and arent in favor of asking for the moon? I am willing to bet my life savings (Granted it isnt much) that there is a MUCH higher percentage of players who just want to play then there are owners who do. This is why the players will cave first and revenue will probably end up being split some where close to 50 -50. Like every other sports league.

The best thing the owners have done is not say anything. Every single time a player opens his mouth in the press it ends up sounding selfish, immature and just plain stupid.

Edited by UP2HERE, 10 October 2012 - 02:53 PM.

#66 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

Boyle should have kept his mouth shut. Even if he was privy to some inside information (Which he probably isnt) does he honestly beleive there arent players out there who just want to play and arent in favor of asking for the moon? I am willing to bet my life savings (Granted it isnt much) that there is a MUCH higher percentage of players who just want to play then there are owners who do. This is why the players will cave first and revenue will probably end up being split some where close to 50 -50. Like every other sports league.

The best thing the owners have done is not say anything. Every single time a player opens his mouth in the press it ends up sounding selfish, immature and just plain stupid.

Ever heard of the right of free speech?

Why do so many pro owner people care about others leagues? I doubt you can receive a concussion in baseball or basketball and footballs revenue is based around a big TV contract, something the NHL doesn't have yet. Once things are getting personal for players, there is more than just money to a story.

All the owners are doing here, is removing some of the troubled franchises if this thing will go over multiple years the midget can look at some empty expansion buildings soon.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#67 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

Free speech? Really? There's a big difference between being free to say something and being smart enough not to.

esteef

Edited by esteef, 10 October 2012 - 05:17 PM.

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#68 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

Free speech? Really? There's a big difference between being free to say something and being smart enough not to.

esteef

There is also a big difference between having a rule against free speech or choosing to say nothing. Especially the Jeremy poor owner Jacobs should keep his mouth shut..

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#69 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Every other sports league?

Look at baseball's salary situation. And the NBA may have a close to 50% split but they also have a luxury tax system the NHL doesn't. And a lot more revenue sharing among franchises. As does the NFL.

It's not really fair to just take the percentage while ignoring all the other differences between the leagues.

Just by sheer number, I'm sure you're right about there being more players wanting to play than the 29 owners. And like I mentioned in another thread, Bettman only needs 7 to keep from being overruled so it doesn't even matter if the majority of owners wanted to end the lockout.

#70 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

Oh man, it has nothing to do with right of speech. It has everything to do with making sense of what you saying.
He would make more sense demanding whales to stop committing suicides on public beaches.

#71 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

I love how they pay tribute to the NHL commissioner in this. Harry Buttman is the league commissioner who is short of size and long on annoying personality, played in the movie by a dwarf.

#72 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

Why do so many pro owner people care about others leagues? I doubt you can receive a concussion in baseball or basketball and footballs revenue is based around a big TV contract, something the NHL doesn't have yet. Once things are getting personal for players, there is more than just money to a story.

All the owners are doing here, is removing some of the troubled franchises if this thing will go over multiple years the midget can look at some empty expansion buildings soon.

Who said I was pro owner? If you look back at previous post it clearly says I'm fed -up with both sides. Also I hate the concussion/injury argument. Barring a catestrophic event whats stopping an injured player from getting a real job like the rest of us? Sure they have a high risk but theyre all well paid to play for a living.

This has nothing to do with free speech. The players can say anything they want (And some of them have) but its always something that ends up making them look bad.

There's an old saying : "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Edited by UP2HERE, 11 October 2012 - 07:38 AM.

#73 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:24 AM

He's become quite quotable in the last little while; doing a little campaigning for the position of Captain?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#74 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

Every other sports league?

Look at baseball's salary situation. And the NBA may have a close to 50% split but they also have a luxury tax system the NHL doesn't. And a lot more revenue sharing among franchises. As does the NFL.

It's not really fair to just take the percentage while ignoring all the other differences between the leagues.

Just by sheer number, I'm sure you're right about there being more players wanting to play than the 29 owners. And like I mentioned in another thread, Bettman only needs 7 to keep from being overruled so it doesn't even matter if the majority of owners wanted to end the lockout.

Youre right its very difficult to compare and I'm not saying its fair for the players to get 50% but Im betting thats where they end up. We will likely have have 2 or three months of no hockey followed by the players caving and the split ending up close to 50/50.

#75 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,412 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

He's become quite quotable in the last little while; doing a little campaigning for the position of Captain?

Personally, I don't like this from him. With the situation we are in, the players need to be unified, you don't want individual players making comments. Hard to control, but from an NHLPA perspective, I'm sure they don't like seeing comments from the players.

#76 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

Hold on Hold on...let me back the ol GMC up here. So let me get this straight. It is ok for players or player reps to say what they want because it's freedom of speech and they are just trying to force the owners and big bad bettman to give into their demands but the owners or anyone representing them need to keep their mouth shut. Do I have the gist of it?
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#77 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

Personally, I don't like this from him. With the situation we are in, the players need to be unified, you don't want individual players making comments. Hard to control, but from an NHLPA perspective, I'm sure they don't like seeing comments from the players.

Fehr could give him a $250G fine or cattle prod him

#78 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

Hold on Hold on...let me back the ol GMC up here. So let me get this straight. It is ok for players or player reps to say what they want because it's freedom of speech and they are just trying to force the owners and big bad bettman to give into their demands but the owners or anyone representing them need to keep their mouth shut. Do I have the gist of it?

What I'm saying is that its in both sides best interest to say nothing because every time they do say something it ends up making their side look bad.

They should both shut-up, get together and figure something out.

#79 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:07 AM

What I'm saying is that its in both sides best interest to say nothing because every time they do say something it ends up making their side look bad.

They should both shut-up, get together and figure something out.

I think billy is referring more to people here bashing Jimmy D for speaking out but applauding (to some degree) Zetts.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#80 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

Devallano was trying to portray Bettman and the owners as good and right for locking out the players (and fans) and he is wrong.
Players portray Bettman and the owners as being bad and wrong for locking out the players (and fans) and they are right