• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

With it looking like there will be a 48 game season, 50 games still possible but unlikely at this point, is it possible for guys like Stamkos, Ovechkin, Malkin, etc to hit the 50 in 50 mark? A lot of the big scorers the league has have been playing overseas for a while and should be in mid season form.

#2 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

ErrrMERRRGERD SINDEY CRURSSBY!!!!!!!!!!!
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#3 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,411 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

The correct answer is "No." To go one step further, not only will no one score 50, no one will score 40 either.

Edit: to put it into perspective, the most prolific goal scoring season in the past 15 years or so was when Ovechkin scored 65 goals in 2007-08.  That would amount to 38 goals over a 48 game season and that assumes the player would play all 48 games.  Also, overall scoring has come down quite a bit since then as well.

Edited by toby91_ca, 08 January 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#4 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Of course not.  Only a few guys (sometimes one or none) can do it in a full season.  

I also read that goal scoring was down during the shortened '95 season.  I mean per game averages.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#5 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Of course not.  Only a few guys (sometimes one or none) can do it in a full season.  

I also read that goal scoring was down during the shortened '95 season.  I mean per game averages.  

That was when the trap/clutch & grab hockey was born.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#6 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Someone will probably score 50 points

#7 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

That was when the trap/clutch & grab hockey was born.

Part of Bettman's parity scheme. Restrict talent and skill with obstruction and bigger goalie equipment(which remains much bigger than before he became commissioner) and obstruction to give weaker teams a better chance of winning.
The media and fans kept complaining that hockey is less entertaining. Where have all the goals gone. Bettman would make it look like he was addressing the problem by claiming that the league will crack down on obstruction every subsequent year which they would give up oin early in the season claimimng it is impossible to police. All the while holding hockey hostage until he finally got the Cap to help with parity.

Player stats should come with an asterisk denoting seasons played while Bettman was commissioner (some players have lost 150 games due to lockouts) and had to play their careers while skill and talent was being artificially restricted.

#8 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,411 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Part of Bettman's parity scheme. Restrict talent and skill with obstruction and bigger goalie equipment(which remains much bigger than before he became commissioner) and obstruction to give weaker teams a better chance of winning.
The media and fans kept complaining that hockey is less entertaining. Where have all the goals gone. Bettman would make it look like he was addressing the problem by claiming that the league will crack down on obstruction every subsequent year which they would give up oin early in the season claimimng it is impossible to police. All the while holding hockey hostage until he finally got the Cap to help with parity.

Player stats should come with an asterisk denoting seasons played while Bettman was commissioner (some players have lost 150 games due to lockouts) and had to play their careers while skill and talent was being artificially restricted.

I'm not sure how you can link Bettman to the trap....that came from coaching.  I suppose you can blame him for not being proactive enough in trying to implement rules to remove it from the game....but that's a stretch.

#9 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

I'm not sure how you can link Bettman to the trap....that came from coaching.  I suppose you can blame him for not being proactive enough in trying to implement rules to remove it from the game....but that's a stretch.

He purposely allowed all that obstruction and the goalie equipment to get bigger and bigger to restrict talent and skill.

We weren't talking about the trap before you put your 2 cents in but about clutching, grabbing and obstruction.

Edited by Johnz96, 08 January 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#10 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

No.

this isnt Be A Pro in NHL 13  ;) ;)

#11 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

50 goals in 48 games? seriously?

#12 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

oh my god really? wow.......*shakes head*  I'll leave that alone.

On to the topic at hand.. I don't see anyone scoring that much in this few games. I think a big reason will be every player will be going all out most of the nights with a shorter season so I don't see someone scoring/getting points that easy.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 08 January 2013 - 01:02 PM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#13 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

He purposely allowed all that obstruction and the goalie equipment to get bigger and bigger to restrict talent and skill.

We weren't talking about the trap before you put your 2 cents in but about clutching, grabbing and obstruction.

He also oversaw the reduction in the size of the equipment and the supposed calling of more obstruction. I guess global warming and 9/11 are Bettmans fault also. Ridiculous.

#14 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Toronto might.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#15 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

He also oversaw the reduction in the size of the equipment and the supposed calling of more obstruction. I guess global warming and 9/11 are Bettmans fault also. Ridiculous.

He oversaw the reduction in size of goalie pads (still bigger the before he became commissioner) to ap[pear like he was addressing the problem, but it wasn't just the pads, it was the chest protector, shoulder pads, sweaters gloves all designed to block out more of the net, even the helmets are bigger now designed to block of more of the net and flared at the sides to deflect the puck away from the net. And they finally stuck to a crackdown on obstruction only after he finally got his cap.

Bettman had nothing to do with global warming and 9/11.

Your comment is ridickulous

Edited by Johnz96, 08 January 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#16 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

how can you be so sure?

#17 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Toronto might.

:lol: Classic!

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#18 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,351 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

No one will get 50 goals, 50 points however, is probably going to happen for a few guys. I have an idea, since bettman is so good at locking players out, maybe we should send him into net as a goalie. Maybe he will lock the puck out too :)
I'm a Red Wing for the next three years and I'm going to make sure every team we play knows that.'' -- Jordin Tootoo

#19 nosyt612

nosyt612

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

I think the push will be to see if Stamkos can get to 40, which would be very impressive.  I bet the winner ends up with 34ish tho.

#20 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

He oversaw the reduction in size of goalie pads (still bigger the before he became commissioner) to ap[pear like he was addressing the problem, but it wasn't just the pads, it was the chest protector, shoulder pads, sweaters gloves all designed to block out more of the net, even the helmets are bigger now designed to block of more of the net and flared at the sides to deflect the puck away from the net. And they finally stuck to a crackdown on obstruction after he finally got his cap.

Your comment is ridickulous

I dont know how many times I can say this but I will again. I dont like Bettman, he reminds me of a weasel and I dont trust him. However I'm not blind or short-sighted enough to see that you cant blame him for everything. The Cap? You dont think the Owners (Who emply him and pay his salary) wanted the cap? Open you eyes man. If we didnt have Bettman we would have someone almost exactly like him.

Edited by up2here, 08 January 2013 - 01:55 PM.