• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#121 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:41 PM

The NHL controls broadcast rights, not the teams.  I'm sure the Yotes and Preds owners don't want the Leafs and Wings making money they can't dip their paws into, or worse, stream the games free on the Wings site so no one makes any cash.

Nor would the Ilitch family want to assume the cost of staging broadcasts or other risks in forming their own Red Wings network I would think, even if splitting the risks with a rights partner.  There is definitely strength in numbers in this case.  Don't forget, we're just a decade removed from things being bleak enough that the league gave NBC broadcast rights for no money upfront, only getting a share of ad revenue after NBC covered its production/distribution costs.  I won't even get into details on how recent trends in cord cutting could spell trouble for future revenue for sports leagues.  Ultimately what I'm saying is that don't think the Wings, if they even had the ability to split off on their own in regards to broadcast rights, that it would be a slam dunk success.

Edited by ogreslayer, 13 October 2014 - 01:42 PM.

#122 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:44 PM

The NHL controls broadcast rights, not the teams.  I'm sure the Yotes and Preds owners don't want the Leafs and Wings making money they can't dip their paws into, or worse, stream the games free on the Wings site so no one makes any cash.

And the NHL has relatively reasonable prices. The AHL and WHL charge $300+ for a full season.

I would like to see the NHL negotiate the next TV contract to give them the ability to offer a no-blackout service to fans.

#123 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:57 PM

And the NHL has relatively reasonable prices. The AHL and WHL charge $300+ for a full season.

I would like to see the NHL negotiate the next TV contract to give them the ability to offer a no-blackout service to fans.

If the league is willing to take less money from NBC, Rogers, regional networks, etc. they could probably make that happen.  No network is going to pay full price though if they don't have exclusive rights.  

#124 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:13 PM

I'd be willing to pay a little more for the "premium" package that has no blackouts.

#125 Legendary D In 03

Legendary D In 03

San Diego Wings Fan!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:18 PM

Anybody know how to stream games that are broadcast on nhl network? I have gamecenter premium but nhl network is blacked out and att uverse doesn't carry nhl network.
A complex man drawn off of simplicity.

#126 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:50 AM

Personally I think it's ridiculous paying for a product advertised as "all games live" and then not being able to watch the game of choice thanks to blackouts.

b tw. the whole NHL videoportal site needs and overrhaul I can't find anything even small tasks like looking for interviews has become unuserfriendly. Seriously how hard is it to design a clean videoportal navigation without that small dropdown "menu#" ?

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !