• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

WMU's season.....

Rate this topic

The quality of NCAA players is great cause they have more time to mature before joining the NHL cause they generally want to finish school before making the jump and we don't have everyone wanting to push them straight from Jr to NHL. There are few exceptions of guys who are ready to make that jump. Sproul and Ouellet may be 2, but they'll still do their time in GR. Dekeyser on the other hand would take the Schultz jump right to the big club cause he's matured enough to do so, and I truly hope he is a Wing as soon as the season is done.

You do realize that Schukltz played half the season in the AHL right? Dekeyser will need some time to adjust to the pro game. Everyone does. But by Jan 1 2014 he should be good to go.

You do realize Justin Schultz would not have played in the AHL if not for the lockout right?

Could be. But he is better for it. That is also the selling point for putting guys in the AHL. Either way, don't care. Just want dekeyser in a winged wheel asap!

Sustr btw has just made it official:

No surprise, but Andrej Sustr, 6-foot-8 Univ of Nebraska-Omaha junior dman (UFA), has officially decided to leave school/field NHL offers.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frequentflyers/Flyers-courting-6-foot-8-defenseman.html

Philly has already begun to court him...

Monday night’s opponent, Tampa Bay, might have the inside track for Sustr's rights. He participated in their prospect camp last summer, along with the Penguins. Many teams are interested, but a decision from Sustr’s camp does not appear to be imminent. It is believed Sustr would like to weigh all of his options. Vancouver, Detroit, Los Angeles and Ottawa are also among the reportedly interested parties, aside from the Flyers, Lightning and Penguins.

Nice to see that Detroit is showing interest in him....but I think he has a better shot at ice time from most of the other teams... It would be nice to land both he and Dekeyser for D depth! White will walk, Cola gets bought out or waived and maybe Kindl is packaged...dunno...even with Kindl around they could still land both those UFA's...

The Flyers were also pursuing Western Michigan defenseman Danny DeKeyser last spring, who decided to stay in school. It's hard to imagine the Flyers would have suddenly stopped being interested in DeKeyser one year later. More than 20 teams were linked to DeKeyser last season, with Detroit believed to be a front-runner. DeKeyser will be on the market once Western Michigan's season is over. The Broncos were swept out of the CCHA playoffs last weekend, so they'll await word this week whether they've qualified for the NCAA tournament.

This is nice too! (from the same article)

Edited by LeftWinger

ok Kenny, just stop all this madness!

Trade Flip for a 1st, Nyquist for a 2nd, Kindl for a 3rd...sign Dekeyser and Sustr....Q is out for the season basically, White is yucky, Cola out, HUskins the backup...forget trying to get a superstar at the deadline...go hard after one or two come UFA day....use your two 1sts to draft Rychel and Santini. Use your two 2nds to draft Fasching and Haag (he will drop) and then you have two 3rd's as well! Retool and Rebuild in the same season!

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - Dekeyser

Lashoff - Sustr

Huskins

Good thing about these guys is, nobody can outbid anyone else. There is a rookie cap at $1M plus bonuses with a maximum cap hit. So every team that is interested has to offer them the same amount of money. It just all depends where these guys choose to play....

:lol: I am having a conversation with myself!

Edited by LeftWinger

ok Kenny, just stop all this madness!

Trade Flip for a 1st, Nyquist for a 2nd, Kindl for a 3rd...sign Dekeyser and Sustr....Q is out for the season basically, White is yucky, Cola out, HUskins the backup...forget trying to get a superstar at the deadline...go hard after one or two come UFA day....use your two 1sts to draft Rychel and Santini. Use your two 2nds to draft Fasching and Haag (he will drop) and then you have two 3rd's as well! Retool and Rebuild in the same season!

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - Dekeyser

Lashoff - Sustr

Huskins

Agree with everything but Kindl. He's really impressed this season and I for 1 would like him to stick around even if over Lashoff. Huskins is a rental for what was a horribly injured blue line. And yes, White is yucky.

Agree with everything but Kindl. He's really impressed this season and I for 1 would like him to stick around even if over Lashoff. Huskins is a rental for what was a horribly injured blue line. And yes, White is yucky.

That is fine too. But since Sustr and Dekeyser will be looking for a job where they get NHL minutes, I was trying to make it so they could here... I know you don't want to keep Kindl and make him the #7 guy...and it would not be fair to Laser is Kenny signed these two guys and then sent him back to GR...I know its a business. Hell sign both, keep everyone here and let them rotate and compete for the job!

Kronner - Big E

Smitty - Danny D

Sustr Christian - Laser

Kindl/Husky/Coca Cola/White

Could always pull a Commodore on White and Husky and trade them for Future's just so they can get a chance to play....somewhere....White may get you a late, LATE round draft pick...

That is fine too. But since Sustr and Dekeyser will be looking for a job where they get NHL minutes, I was trying to make it so they could here... I know you don't want to keep Kindl and make him the #7 guy...and it would not be fair to Laser is Kenny signed these two guys and then sent him back to GR...I know its a business. Hell sign both, keep everyone here and let them rotate and compete for the job!

Kronner - Big E

Smitty - Danny D

Sustr Christian - Laser

Kindl/Husky/Coca Cola/White

Could always pull a Commodore on White and Husky and trade them for Future's just so they can get a chance to play....somewhere....White may get you a late, LATE round draft pick...

It's looking more & more like Colaiacovo won't be back this season, Q out until at least the playoffs, & White's clearly in Babs' doghouse, so I could see DeKeyser and/or Sustr getting time with the big club right away if they signed. Say something like:

Kronner-Lashoff

Smith-E

DeKeyser-Kindl/Sustr/Huskins

Trade White back to Carolina for a pick, Cola can provide depth if he ever makes it back, & have Q ready to go by the first round and if they need some spot help in the meantime, see what Almquist could bring for a couple of games. On an unrelated note, anyone think Kenny brings Jarnkrok over to GR now that he's been bumped from the playoffs?

It's looking more & more like Colaiacovo won't be back this season, Q out until at least the playoffs, & White's clearly in Babs' doghouse, so I could see DeKeyser and/or Sustr getting time with the big club right away if they signed. Say something like:

Kronner-Lashoff

Smith-E

DeKeyser-Kindl/Sustr/Huskins

Trade White back to Carolina for a pick, Cola can provide depth if he ever makes it back, & have Q ready to go by the first round and if they need some spot help in the meantime, see what Almquist could bring for a couple of games. On an unrelated note, anyone think Kenny brings Jarnkrok over to GR now that he's been bumped from the playoffs?

Na, I don't see either or those happening really. Both are still real young. Both need to bulk up more yet. Both haven't played any NA game at all, besides Almqvist's half season. Just can't see the Wings doin it.

i dont know crap about college hockey but i think only four teams make the tourney. ohio state, notre dame, michigan, miami oh.

That's the lineup for the the CCHA semi-finals at the Joe this weekend. The NCAA tourney which starts on 3/29 is a 16 team tourney.

Edit: Western Michigan should end up making the tourney. Sitting at #12 in the rankings that just came out on Monday.

Edited by ogreslayer

OK, cool!

In a different thread, someone had mentioned that Sustr had received about 20-25 offers...I wonder if Holland called. I know he can only get so much money, it all comes down to if he gets icetime or not. The same would be for Danny...crossing my fingers for at least Danny if not both! I have a feeling that Dekeyser is Hollands first choice, so he probably isn't even going to make a decision until he sees if Danny is available after the selections....Hope he doesn't miss out on Sustr and then WMU gets selected and he doesn't get Danny now either. Of course he could still pick Danny up after the tourney...damn I want both of these guys here!

That's the lineup for the the CCHA semi-finals at the Joe this weekend. The NCAA tourney which starts on 3/29 is a 16 team tourney.

Edit: Western Michigan should end up making the tourney. Sitting at #12 in the rankings that just came out on Monday.

oo thanks, yeah they should make the tourney. they are 3rd in the conference

If Western is poised to make the tourney, Holland better be on that phone to Sustr Christian right now! We cannot miss out on this beast! He will fill in nicely in Q's absence. Sign Danny D later...

Kronner - Big E

Smitty - Laser

Kindl - Night Ranger

Husky/White

If Western is poised to make the tourney, Holland better be on that phone to Sustr Christian right now! We cannot miss out on this beast! He will fill in nicely in Q's absence. Sign Danny D later...

Kronner - Big E

Smitty - Laser

Kindl - Night Ranger

Husky/White

We don't have the ties to Sustr like we do DeKeyser. Sustr has attended the NYR camp 3 years ago (IIRC) and for the past 2 he's attended PITTS and TB's camps. Josh Archibald has connections with Andrej Sustr, which is one of Pittsburghs prospects. So I could easily see TB or Pittsburgh getting Sustr with little to no problem. Every team has most likely been calling Sustr since he announced he was starting to take NHL offers and not do his senior year. Danny DeKeyser we have connections to. He's been at the camps the past 2-3(i'm almost positive it has been 3) seasons and Jim Nill's family is close with DeKeyser's. I would say we are in the front runner group for DeKeyser, if not THE front runner, but when it comes to Sustr... it's a pipe dream. I just hope we get ONE of them, please :(

EDIT:

Also, I would like DeKeyser more than Sustr right now. Obviously, both would be outstanding but DeKeyser is more NHL ready than Sustr. Sustr is an absolute beast at 6'8 230, and has the higher ceiling, but development wise, he's behind DeKeyser. Although, many say that Sustr has the potential to be the next Chara. Right now, we would be more prone to needing someone that would fit within the system now, not within 1-2+ years. We have enough defensemen within the system that I think our d core will be looking good in those upcoming years.

Edited by evilzyme

We don't have the ties to Sustr like we do DeKeyser. Sustr has attended the NYR camp 3 years ago (IIRC) and for the past 2 he's attended PITTS and TB's camps. Josh Archibald has connections with Andrej Sustr, which is one of Pittsburghs prospects. So I could easily see TB or Pittsburgh getting Sustr with little to no problem. Every team has most likely been calling Sustr since he announced he was starting to take NHL offers and not do his senior year. Danny DeKeyser we have connections to. He's been at the camps the past 2-3(i'm almost positive it has been 3) seasons and Jim Nill's family is close with DeKeyser's. I would say we are in the front runner group for DeKeyser, if not THE front runner, but when it comes to Sustr... it's a pipe dream. I just hope we get ONE of them, please :(

EDIT:

Also, I would like DeKeyser more than Sustr right now. Obviously, both would be outstanding but DeKeyser is more NHL ready than Sustr. Sustr is an absolute beast at 6'8 230, and has the higher ceiling, but development wise, he's behind DeKeyser. Although, many say that Sustr has the potential to be the next Chara. Right now, we would be more prone to needing someone that would fit within the system now, not within 1-2+ years. We have enough defensemen within the system that I think our d core will be looking good in those upcoming years.

Totally agree, I like Dekeyser here first and foremost and if we only got him that would be great too! I just remember reading that Detroit was one of the teams that was really interested in Sustr...no biggie. I will take Danny D, and the good news is that Detroit is supposedly the front runner for him. With Q's injury it opens the ice time up for him...then next season he can compete for a spot once White and Husky are gone and hopefully Colaiacovo to buyout or waived to GR...

On a side note, I am willing to bet that Holland has already called Danny Diesel telling him the situation in Detroit (which I am sure he already knew about) and probably told him that if WMU doesn't make the tourney, he is in. I sure hope he did!

Who knows, maybe he doesn't want to jump right in. Have the Wings ever signed an NCAA player this time of year, and played them in Detroit or GR before?

Who knows, maybe he doesn't want to jump right in. Have the Wings ever signed an NCAA player this time of year, and played them in Detroit or GR before?

Abby. It was only two games, right at the end of the year when we already had the President's Trophy locked up, but I think he stayed on as black ace for the Cup run.