Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

WCQF Game 6 GDT : Ducks 3 at Red Wings 4 (OT) - (Series Tied 3-3)

• Please log in to reply
843 replies to this topic

#841 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

Went to the game last night. It was absolutely nuts in there. I think it exceeded Game 6 of the Sharks series in 2011 as the loudest game I have been to live. The atmosphere is always electric for playoffs, but this was just pure noise nonstop the entire night. 

* The big three were the best players in the most important game of the season. Pav was a magician like usual, Jimmy stopped everything his own defense didn't gift wrap for the Ducks and Z's leadership was unbelievable.

* Kronwall and Ericsson were very good defensively. Unforunately, they really stand out because the other two pairings are brutal in their own zone, but I thought both were strong again against some of the better forwards in the league.

* Justin Abdelkader's presence is obvious. Never thought I would say that, but the Red Wings need him. He hits everything in sight, forechecks hard and has dramatically improved his ability to be effective in front of the net. I still think he lacks offensive upside to be a consistent first line player, but I give him credit for doing the dirty work with Z and Pavel. That line doesn't click without him playing his role. 

* I don't want to harp on negatives after such a huge victory, but is anyone going to miss Val Filppula if he walks? I thought he played his best in Game 5, but even then he still isn't producing anything offensively in this series. I expect the young guys to make mistakes as part of the learning process. Filppula's miscue behind the net can't happen though as a veteran player. His agent better hope GM's only remember last season.

* I would be fine if the Red Wings used a buyout on Kyle Quincey the second the season ends. Or now works too.

* This game really shouldn't have ever made it to OT (much like Game 2). The Red Wings handed the Ducks all three of their goals. It will be a positive going forward that this infusion of youth is gaining valuable playoff experience, but they certainly don't make it easy on our nerves.

* That being said, I love this team's determination. They aren't nearly as skilled as we are used to seeing, but they never quit. It would have been easy to fold blowing third period leads twice in this series. They came back out and won both times early in OT. They are very fun to watch and in a way, this entire season has been more enjoyable than I ever expected. If this is a transition year, this organization is in great shape. 

Wings in 7!

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#842 winger30

winger30

Rookie

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

Wings had two 3rd period collapses in this series but saved them with OT magic. Let's hope they now have those 3rd period cramps out of their system but keep the magic.

Yes I do believe they stated in post game they took their midol so the cramping should be gone

Edited by winger30, 11 May 2013 - 03:56 PM.

Balanced is probably what I am, although that's just a polite way to say that you don't do anything very well.
Steve Yzerman

VK/SM believe!

#843 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

anybody think maybe we should put filppula in the 4th line tomorrow??? he hasnt been doing anything and it might get him going playing against the ducks bottom players and might help us if the 4th line chips in tomorrow???

zetterberg datsyuk abdelkader

bertuzzi franzen cleary

brunner andersson nyquist

filppula emmerton eaves

sound good??

#844 freshy

freshy

Freshy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

Quincy coughed up the puck and it resulted in goal. Puck hit the post and bounced off of Smith... Another goal resulted due to Quincy being tripped and a penalty was not called.

It is not Smith's fault that the team does not a veteran core where he can be paired with a vet d-man.

Be critical where it is due, but do not lose sight of reality. This D is very young and the team in general is still learning how to play together as it has been patched together the entire season due to all the injuries.

The goal that bounced off Smith was mostly bad luck & I don't fault him much on it(other than his trying to swat it with his stick rather than taking one hand and swatting it away.)

The goal I was talking about was when Etam burned him after he lost his helmet and he was playing like he was out of his mind. Smith & Quincey were on for all three goals.

I don't hate Smith, but he isn't showing much positives IMO. Where is this highly touted offensive flair? He NEVER seems to be able to get a shot through to the net. Where is his toughness & hitting? All you heard about before he joined the big squad was how he was as close to a sure thing top four defenseman the Wings had. Kindl has made great strides & has a cannon he is starting to use from the point. Dekeyser came in playing like a flat out stud until he was injured. Neither of them had great vet d-men to pair with either. Smith has been disappointing especially of late. Being paired with Quincy ain't helping, but it isn't just that.

You gotta be the QB to win the MVP baby! You can't be the punter.