• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

What I expect out of 97.1 when i turn it on, say after a 2-0 win like last night is ripping howard, and hating on the wings because they didnt score 5 or more goals, have 3 fights, and the crowd didn't climb the glass and start fighting blackhawks. I feel like they say s*** just to get people on the phone lines. When it comes to Hockey, they are clueless, and what I'm also finding out is so are the people that call in. 

This. 

#42 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

I knew straight from the title you were referring to Valenti. He is a professional troll. Any team (or sport for that matter) he does not personally support he craps all over it and then personally insults anyone who dares to have a differing opinion. I absolutely refuse to listen to Valenti when he brings up Michigan football or basketball. I know he is going spout off some complete nonsense that has no place in reality, while giving his favorite teams/players (Michigan State and Boston) a pass.

I actually don't hate Valenti's overall "act", and I'm a Michigan grad!  I follow him on Twitter, and I've seen him harder on MSU that the vast majority of the State fans, and I've seen him praise Michigan where appropriate.  It doesn't even bother me that media personnel have inherent biases, so long as they own up to that.  Along those lines, I suppose if he makes it regularly clear that hockey isn't his thing, then so be it. 

I just reject the premise that this isn't a big sports story right now.  While the Tigers have been good, the only other Detroit championship in a "major sport" since 1990 was the '04 Pistons, and that team is just a disaster right now (and also not playing).  What the Red Wings are doing right now is a huge HOCKEY story in both U.S. and Canadian national media outlets, so I think V & F are delusional if they think there isn't a critical mass of Detroiters that are consumed by it also.

#43 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

I actually don't hate Valenti's overall "act", and I'm a Michigan grad!  I follow him on Twitter, and I've seen him harder on MSU that the vast majority of the State fans, and I've seen him praise Michigan where appropriate.  It doesn't even bother me that media personnel have inherent biases, so long as they own up to that.  Along those lines, I suppose if he makes it regularly clear that hockey isn't his thing, then so be it. 

I just reject the premise that this isn't a big sports story right now.  While the Tigers have been good, the only other Detroit championship in a "major sport" since 1990 was the '04 Pistons, and that team is just a disaster right now (and also not playing).  What the Red Wings are doing right now is a huge HOCKEY story in both U.S. and Canadian national media outlets, so I think V & F are delusional if they think there isn't a critical mass of Detroiters that are consumed by it also.

Critical mass of Detroiters does not necessarily equal their listening audience though. 

And lets be honest now.  Valenti is not a troll or an idiot.  The guy knows his stuff and he can be an ******* but he is pretty fair.  He gives credit when credit is due and he blasts when it's due. 

#44 Serratoni

Serratoni

Rookie

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

Where is Art Regner when you need him, he would talk hockey all the time, even had his own show that just talked wings, ice time I do believe. Years ago though back when sports radio had a soul and wasn't as coperatate and nationally driven even from a local perspective.

Egads, there has to be some middle ground. Regner was a total Wings slappy. The guy was a male puck bunny.

#45 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

97.1 is pure garbage when it comes to hockey talk. I quit calling in and listening daily because they blatantly would rather talk about anything else than the red wings. They legitimize this by doing the dial tone thing, but they create almost a hostile environment for any real knowledgeable fan. Why would I want to talk to some trolls that don't even know or like hockey to begin with?

The only good talk there is immediately after a big win, that's it.
[ Image violated Forum Guidelines. Please use images sixed 400x100 pixels or smaller. ]

Just playin Chris, you know I love you!

lilja is an icelandic pony
lilja is an average high girl with blond hair and very sexy
lilja is about the sweetest kitten we have raised here
lilja is the comatose victim of a questionable accident

#46 wingfanatic4alltime

wingfanatic4alltime

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

As someone who listens to this station on a regular basis the new yorker and Foster are the only ones i dont listen too for the simple fact that in my opinion they know absolutly nothing about hockey.  The new yorker even admits that.  So why should i call or text hosts who know absolutly nothing about hockey.  The people I trust on that station is Karsch and Anderson, and Caputo.  Dan Leach and Riger are good too. 

IN KENNY WE TRUST!!