• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evilmrt

2013 Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

i heard carolina is willing to give up the #5 pick for a top 4 dman i would give up smith or quincey(if they wanted him and could extend him only) and more to get that pick if nichushkin is available . id love to see him next to datsyuk next year

and since ference is not gonna be resigned maybe we can go after him as a 5-6dman depending the price

Canes would be insane to trade the #5 pick for Smith or Quincey. They could simply take a defenseman with that pick.

Guest Crymson

i heard carolina is willing to give up the #5 pick for a top 4 dman

You're going to need to cite your source, because that seems fantastically unlikely. It is probable that Darnell Nurse will still be available at #5, and he is an excellent defensive prospect. There is no reason for the 'Canes to trade that possibility away in return for a second-pairing defenseman.

dont remember where i read it but found these

Carolina will entertain offers for its 5th-overall pick in hopes of landing a top-4 D-man, GM Jim Rutherford told @theteam1260 Tuesday.

— Dylan Howlett (@DylanHowlett) June 6, 2013

1. Further to the Carolina tweet. There are financial restrictions the Hurricanes face. Need a top 4 D, but can't pay Letang-like dollars.

2. Interested to see if Carolina trades the 5th pick. Need a top 4 D. Could be part of a package. Told Rutherford is getting lots of calls.

So my question is, would any of you trade Brendan Smith plus whatever for that 5th overall pick so long as we kept our 18th as well?

No question about it. Darnell Nurse projects to be similar to Smith, and we'd still get another prospect at 18.

Guest Crymson

dont remember where i read it but found these

Carolina will entertain offers for its 5th-overall pick in hopes of landing a top-4 D-man, GM Jim Rutherford told @
Tuesday.

— Dylan Howlett (@DylanHowlett)

1. Further to the Carolina tweet. There are financial restrictions the Hurricanes face. Need a top 4 D, but can't pay Letang-like dollars.

2. Interested to see if Carolina trades the 5th pick. Need a top 4 D. Could be part of a package. Told Rutherford is getting lots of calls.

As with Dreger's comment about Pittsburgh possibly trading Malkin, those are 100% speculative. They do not reference any insider information.

Um, if you have financial issues then isn't having a young prospect from draft a little more desirable than trading pick for some established guy's bloated contract?

Guest Crymson

well i also remember you saying that about filppula's salary demands months ago and we all know it turned out to be correct

Not quite. Filppula's salary demands were spoken of by MLive and several other sources. I was simply unaware of this and thus wrongly believed it to be rumor. Dreger's musings on the subject of the Hurricanes are inherently speculative.

"If the right deal comes along" does not equate to "in exchange for a 2nd-pairing defenseman." Almost any team would be willing to move down in the draft for the right package; that is elementary.

obviously if the right deal comes along ... thats the same for any sports trade , just because they said theyd be willing to trade the 5th overall pick for a top 4dman doesnt mean they'll just do any trade

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Guest Crymson

obviously if the right deal comes along ... thats the same for any sports trade , just because they said theyd be willing to trade the 5th overall pick for a top 4dman doesnt mean they'll just do any trade

... except they never said they'd trade the 5th overall for a second-pairing defenseman. That follows, because it would be immensely dumb of them to do so.

So my question is, would any of you trade Brendan Smith plus whatever for that 5th overall pick so long as we kept our 18th as well?

Surely it would be Smith PLUS our first? 5th overall for Smith is a ridiculous trade.