• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

Leafs acquire Jonathan Bernier from the LA Kings for Matt Frattin, Ben Scrivens and TOR 2nd round pick in either the 2014 or 2015 NHL Draft

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426131

One team out of the Luongo picture.

...but what about Reimer??!!

Goalie controversy to be central focus of this year's Leafs woes?

Edited by e_prime, 23 June 2013 - 12:07 PM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#2 RedWingCraig

RedWingCraig

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

Kings didn't get enough

#3 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

Leafs acquire Jonathan Bernier from the LA Kings for Matt Frattin, Ben Scrivens and TOR 2nd round pick in either the 2014 or 2015 NHL Draft
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426131

One team out of the Luongo picture.

...but what about Reimer??!!

Goalie controversy to be central focus of this year's Leafs woes?

Wow. Bad trade for both teams. What does Reimer have to do to be considered the #1 guy?! What's the point of trading for Bernier when you have a #1 guy? Kings got robbed too. Bernier should have went NJ, Calgary, or somewhere where he'd be THE (after Marty retires for NJ) guy. Watch Toronto ruin both of their goaltenders.

Edited by achildr1, 23 June 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#4 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

Good trade. Frattin is a bit of a wild card but has good potential. Always liked his scoring ability.

Him plus a 2nd is very fair. Never really liked Scrivens.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#5 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

I thought for sure the Wild were gonna get Bernier.

Really surprised that the Leafs landed Bernier.

Some goaltending controversy maybe in Toronto indeed.

#6 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

I thought for sure the Wild were gonna get Bernier.

Really surprised that the Leafs landed Bernier.

Some goaltending controversy maybe in Toronto indeed.

I doubt the Wild could justify giving up much in terms of picks/prospects after what they gave up for Pominville. 

Reimer is obviously a bit more established but by no means proven. They'll be a good combo and generate some great competition at that position.

One of them is bound to elevate their game to upper-tier status in the next few years.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#7 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

I doubt the Wild could justify giving up much in terms of picks/prospects after what they gave up for Pominville. 

Reimer is obviously a bit more established but by no means proven. They'll be a good combo and generate some great competition at that position.

One of them is bound to elevate their game to upper-tier status in the next few years.

I'm sure that's what the Leaf's organization and fans are thinking.

Good we'll be seeing both of them a lot very soon.

#8 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

Leafs are my pick to win next year. Wings the year after.

#9 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

Wow. Little early for that I think. With Phaneuf and Kessel leading the way?! Even if Kadri lights it up and Bernier is good, I highly doubt they are even close.

#10 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

Wow. Little early for that I think. With Phaneuf and Kessel leading the way?! Even if Kadri lights it up and Bernier is good, I highly doubt they are even close.

I got a hundo on them at 45 to 1. Just like Chicago/Rangers/Detroit and almost Montreal now, its been to long. The league seems to give the little nudges (refs) to the teams that havent won in a while. You can blow them off and say they dont matter, but a penalty shot vs a 2 minute penalty can cause a game that possibly would have been tied at the end of regulation to turn into a one goal loss. 6 power plays vs. 2 power plays can completely take away one team's 5 on 5 advantage. Officiating is HUGE in a Stanley Cup run. I think Bettman will see to it that Toronto gets what they need (if anything) next year.

#11 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

Where does Frattin fit in with Los Angeles? Will he take Penner's spot if he bails?

Also, are the Leafs moving Frattin anticipating bringing Clarkson in?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#12 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

Where does Frattin fit in with Los Angeles? Will he take Penner's spot if he bails?

Also, are the Leafs moving Frattin anticipating bringing Clarkson in?

I'm sure Leafs management and their fans would love that. They always can bring back MaCarthur if they don't land Clarkson. Assuming he's still around...

Vince Lombardi

#13 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

Interesting move by the Leafs...Looks like another controversy brewing in Toronto.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#14 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

I saw the Leafs play the Sens when they were in town this year and Reimer looked like a good little goalie. I remember when the Leafs always seemed to have rock star goalie's that they piggy backed on and we used to pick them up after they had been shell shocked and fried... Poor Reimer and poor Bernier they'll have to compete for a spot on the Toronto Titanic

#15 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

Honestly, I'm not sure about this move for the Leafs. Scrivens is spare parts, but I think Frattin's got a lot of offensive potential. The bigger issue is obviously the goalie controversy it creates. It's gotta be pretty deflating for Reimer to see someone brought in like that.

#16 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

I live in Toronto and watch quite a bit of the Leafs. They are no where near contending seriously for the cup for awhile.

02_notcomplicated_Kronwalled55_zpsc7d665

#17 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

I got a hundo on them at 45 to 1. Just like Chicago/Rangers/Detroit and almost Montreal now, its been to long. The league seems to give the little nudges (refs) to the teams that havent won in a while. You can blow them off and say they dont matter, but a penalty shot vs a 2 minute penalty can cause a game that possibly would have been tied at the end of regulation to turn into a one goal loss. 6 power plays vs. 2 power plays can completely take away one team's 5 on 5 advantage. Officiating is HUGE in a Stanley Cup run. I think Bettman will see to it that Toronto gets what they need (if anything) next year.

Chicago and Boston final... Right, two teams that haven't won in a while...
I'm a Red Wing for the next three years and I'm going to make sure every team we play knows that.'' -- Jordin Tootoo

#18 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

Interesting trade. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#19 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:25 PM

i pick the wings next year. dekeyser, helm and tatar will get us over the hump

bad trade for both teams. kings should have got more, leafs dont need bernier

#20 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:31 AM

To me it doesn't make sense. I thought reimer was doing great for the leafs.