• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Axe

Abdelkader Hypothetical

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

Given 1st line minutes and 1st line PP time with Pavel and Z, what is Abby capable of?

I say 25/30 for 55 pts, which I would be happy with.

Guest The Axe

20g 15a.

Even with 1st line minutes all year I don't see him doing much more than that.

What production is acceptable?

Guest Crymson

If Abdelkader works on his hands and his shot, he'll be able to score 20 goals. That hat trick in Anaheim proved that he's got the tools to make it happen. I personally believe that he just lacks confidence.

Guest The Axe

If Abdelkader works on his hands and his shot, he'll be able to score 20 goals. That hat trick in Anaheim proved that he's got the tools to make it happen. I personally believe that he just lacks confidence.

Im kind of with you on this. I'd like to see him develop into a guy who scores 15-20 even strength goals and 5-10 PP goals in front of the net.

Given 1st line minutes and 1st line PP time with Pavel and Z, what is Abby capable of?

I say 25/30 for 55 pts, which I would be happy with.

i think he's capable of around these numbers and I'd love to see him reach them..

will it happen this year? ever? we'll see.. i think so, at least eventually.

go sparty! :P

Edited by amato

Guest The Axe

I did look it up. He's got 28 regular season goals and five playoff goals.

And his goal totals have gone up in all 4 years.

Im gonna trust Pav's and Bab's judgement on this guy. I wouldnt be surprised if Abdelkader puts up a 50 pt season next year.

In 2010-2011 Tomas Holmstrom scored 18 goals and had 19 assists, at the age of 35. I don't expect Abdelkader will ever have an offensive season that productive, first line or no. This isn't to say that he can't help up there, or that he's bad or anything else. But I don't believe that he's offensively capable of anything like that. If we recall, of his 10 goals this season, three came in one game, two others were scored in one game when Datsyuk banked goals in off Abby's body, and his first goal of the season was banked in off him as well.

Kudos to him for going to the net, but it's not like his "career year" was some sort of coming out party. He played 23 games before he scored his first goal, and then finished strong with a little help from his friends. He was barely an offensive threat for the majority of the games this season and might just as easily have ended with four or five goals as opposed to ten. He's on the ice to clear space for Datsyuk to be better offensively, not the other way around. He'll finish next season with ten or less goals and twenty or less assists, after being replaced by Bertuzzi or Sammy on the top line. Ugh.

Prime Cleary was getting 20 and 20 for a couple years in a row. Cleary has better hands, worse knees, knew his way around Holmer's office real well. I can see Abdelkrasher getting similar numbers, maybe more assists.

A lot of people hope that Abby will become a Dustin Brown type - but I just dont see it happening. He just doesn't have offensive instincts. I would love to see him slot in on the 3rd/4th line and be a defensively responsible player that just shuts down opposing 3/4 lines and plays the body HARD finishing every check. We need to wear on our opponents a little more than we have been lately. If you throw abby on the 1st line the opposition will leave him open and just work on Z and Dats as Abby poses little offensive threat - Alfie/Franzen at least pose that threat that they can snip from most areas of the ice and require attention - they will let abby shoot all day if it means Z/Dats don't.

Guest The Axe

In 2010-2011 Tomas Holmstrom scored 18 goals and had 19 assists, at the age of 35. I don't expect Abdelkader will ever have an offensive season that productive, first line or no. This isn't to say that he can't help up there, or that he's bad or anything else. But I don't believe that he's offensively capable of anything like that. If we recall, of his 10 goals this season, three came in one game, two others were scored in one game when Datsyuk banked goals in off Abby's body, and his first goal of the season was banked in off him as well.

Kudos to him for going to the net, but it's not like his "career year" was some sort of coming out party. He played 23 games before he scored his first goal, and then finished strong with a little help from his friends. He was barely an offensive threat for the majority of the games this season and might just as easily have ended with four or five goals as opposed to ten. He's on the ice to clear space for Datsyuk to be better offensively, not the other way around. He'll finish next season with ten or less goals and twenty or less assists, after being replaced by Bertuzzi or Sammy on the top line. Ugh.

I disagree with you.

Abby has a strong "ramp up" history, meaning he's worked his way up the ladder through experience and increased production, everywhere he has played. Juniors, College, AHL. If the past predicates the future, we should see Abby start to put up dlgood numbers soon. Im not saying he's going to be an all star. Im saying he will put up 50-60 pts if he plays with Z and Dats on the top line and PP.

i don't see abby playing on the PP though.. at least not yet.

pav, z, alfie, mule, bert, weiss, nyq, tatar are all guys i see on the PP before abby.

hell, even sammy would be on there before abby, not that i'd want him to be at all..

Guest The Axe

I just don't see it

Fair enough.

Look at his career stats on Wikipedia.

Then remember he's just 26.

I disagree with you.

Abby has a strong "ramp up" history, meaning he's worked his way up the ladder through experience and increased production, everywhere he has played. Juniors, College, AHL. If the past predicates the future, we should see Abby start to put up dlgood numbers soon. Im not saying he's going to be an all star. Im saying he will put up 50-60 pts if he plays with Z and Dats on the top line and PP.

In the 2008 and 2009 seasons, with Datsyuk and Zetterberg in their primes and having their best career offensive seasons, Holmstrom never had 50 pts. Contrary to what some believe, neither Datsyuk nor Zetterberg are the same players they were then. Those guys will be good this year, but they aren't going to squeeze blood from a stone. I'd love it if you're right, but Abby has not shown the ability to produce even as consistently as Miller at the NHL level, and D and Z aren't at an age where they can still make anyone around them look that good. Hell Franzen has consistently played on Datsyuk's wing for a couple years now and only gets 50-60 pts. And whether you like him or not, Franzen is about 2,000,000 times the offensive player that Abby is.

Playing with Datsyuk or Zetterberg is no longer a way to get more out of less. At their age we should be acquiring complimentary pieces to help keep their numbers up, not the other way around. I would have loved a shooting winger for Datsyuk, and to see Zetterberg on Weiss' wing. In my opinion that would be a better dynamic than once again asking those two to play their game and half of everybody else's as well.

Edited by kipwinger