• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#61 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

That's a pretty good  roster and more looking like the one I would have chosen, just:

Jones, Galchenuk are too young, the olympics are too much pressure for such young players. I remember the time when I was 19, being the last at a party was enough pressure and now imagine 19 olds representing their country in Russia for the olympics unreal.

I also would have left off Byuglien guy is just too much of a risky pick and take Jack Johnson instead, just a very good shutdown defenseman. 13/14 Forward would have been Statsny + Wheeler. I fully agree with your assessment of Ryan the only two better guys are Parise and obviously Kaner, Kessel and the other wingers are at best equally as good.

as for the goaltending: I think this is probably the biggest strength of team USA, so it doesn't really matter who they are picking as the third one, because if a team has to go with their 3 string goalie something already went really wrong. This is a guy who will not see the ice. It's a nice honor for Howard sure but he should be prepared to watch the games from the press box in Sochi. I honestly don't know if it would have helped Bishop, the guy needs experience so playing in the NHL was the better choice for him.

Edited by frankgrimes, 02 January 2014 - 10:07 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#62 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

Carlson, Faulk, Orpik, Martin and Fowler????????????

LOL

Can't be kidding me 

Minus the forwards ranks minus Bobby Ryan and maybe Okoposo

I'm ok with the list.

The D on the other hand pfffftttttt

#63 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

Carlson, Faulk, Orpik, Martin and Fowler????????????

LOL

Can't be kidding me 

Minus the forwards ranks minus Bobby Ryan and maybe Okoposo

I'm ok with the list.

The D on the other hand pfffftttttt

Carlson, Faulk and Fowler are all very well rounded, top two defencemen.

Each one of them lead their respective teams in total ice time among D.  Heavy penalty kill minutes as well.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#64 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

Carlson, Faulk and Fowler are all very well rounded, top two defencemen.

Each one of them lead their respective teams in total ice time among D.  Heavy penalty kill minutes as well.

Ok sure but nowhere near the upside of either Byfuglien or Yandle FYI

Poile has to be high 

No other way around it

Only reason Carlson, Faulk and Fowler were picked imo was because they are the youngest and best all around d-men in Poile's eyes. Maybeeeeee

As I'm USA all the way I'm a bit disappointed in the roster. 

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 02 January 2014 - 10:44 PM.

#65 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:14 PM

Ok sure but nowhere near the upside of either Byfuglien or Yandle FYI

Poile has to be high 

No other way around it

Only reason Carlson, Faulk and Fowler were picked imo was because they are the youngest and best all around d-men in Poile's eyes. Maybeeeeee

As I'm USA all the way I'm a bit disappointed in the roster. 

I definitely disagree.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#66 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:38 PM

Orpik and Martin over Yandle and Johnson? That's pretty weak in my opinion. 

#67 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:37 AM

I definitely disagree.

Cool because I totally disagree especially with someone from Canada fyi....

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 03 January 2014 - 01:12 AM.

#68 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:43 AM

Our D is awful tbh.

And this roster might be medal worthy we shall see I say no but I hope I'm wrong. 

Go figure with Poile as GM that speaks mad volume...

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 03 January 2014 - 12:51 AM.

#69 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:19 AM

Oh yeah totally forgot Bylsma is our head coach.

No favoritism towards Orpik or Martin on that

Quality pickings 

#70 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:35 AM

Finally, am I the only one who doesn't understand why Paul Martin was considered a lock on defense from the get-go?  Is he really that good?

No, he is not that good, and I'm baffled that he's even on the roster.

#71 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

No, he is not that good, and I'm baffled that he's even on the roster.

I understand Orpik being a lock, he's pretty big, skates well, and is physical.  Against what is sure to be a gigantic Canadian team we're going to need guys like that.  But I just don't get Martin.  I haven't watched a lot of him (admittedly) but he's never really jumped out as someone that demanded a spot on this roster the way some others have.  I know he kills penalties and "can" be on the PP, but was versatility enough?  Does he shoot right?  I'm lost. 

All in all, I think this defense is underrated though.  There are some young guys on here that probably most people haven't seen much of and that makes them nervous.  Justin Faulk is a good young offensive d-man.  He's an awesome skater, has good size.  John Carlson is, in my opinion, one of the more underrated d-man in the league as well.  Big, tough, rugged, aggressive, and a good skater.  Makes me think of Suter without the experience and pedigree.  Obviously you know what you're getting with Suter and Orpik.  McDonough will really wow a lot of people who haven't seen him before.  The only ones I question are Martin, Fowler, and Shattenkirk, but none of the other options were obviously better so it's shades of grey for me.

One thing I noticed about all these guys though is that none are flashy or prone to hot dogging.  No Mike Green's on this defense.  They all play safe, smart, and all of them can skate.  Skating is going to save us against the Canadian squad.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#72 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

Thinking further..  I would've picked

Brown-Kesler-Kane
Parise-Pavelski-Kessel
Ryan-Backes-Oshie/Callahan
JVR/Callahan-Galchenyuk/Stastny-Wheeler

Suter-Faulk
McDonagh-Fowler
Yandle-Jones/Carlson
Byfuglien

Quick/Miller
Howard

*I'd give Galchenyuk a legit chance to beat out Stastny.  I hate Stastny.  He sucked in '10.  But, international ice, he might be better.  So he's on my roster.  But I give Galchenyuk a real chance to beat him out.  There's a real chance that kid could explode and be a big time difference maker.  If he doesn't, big deal, he's a scratch.  ??

*Callahan's going to be in the lineup.  So, it's basically a battle between Oshie and JVR.  Shall the best man (or best matchup?) win.

*Defense.  Out: Orpik, Martin, Shattenkirk.  In: Yandle, Byfuglien, Jones.  I love that Jones kid.  I think there's a legit chance he could, like Galchenyuk, explode and be a big time difference maker (if he doesn't, also like Galchenyuk, big deal ~ he's a scratch).  Drew Doughty, anyone?  I also want Yandle on the team.  Goals are going to be at a premium and he's not that bad at all in his own zone.  Ridiculous that Martin's on the team ahead of him.  And I also want Byfuglien on this team.  He's my extra skater (13th forward).  I'll send him out there to run someone.  To man the point on the PP (with Yandle on the other - - gaawww).  Put him in front of the net on occasion.  He's a real-deal leader.  No team is ever scared with Buff on it.  

Edited by blueadams, 03 January 2014 - 01:45 PM.

#73 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:31 PM

If they know the D is going to be a weakness and want puck moving guys to get it up to the forwards effectively, why not Yandle exactly?

It was interesting to see how hard Lombardi was lobbying for Yandle.  Lombardi is a good GM and his team plays against the Coyotes an awful lot. 

"If you ask our coaches," Lombardi says, "Yandle scares us more than Shattenkirk."

And I don't think he's wrong about this either:

"If this kid was playing in New York, would we be embarrassed not to take him?" Lombardi asks rhetorically, a query he will repeat several times during the meeting.

Yandle is the highest scoring American defenseman over the last 4 years.  If he played for the Rangers they'd probably hype him like he was Brian Leetch  (I'm in no way claiming he actually is).

#74 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

From TSN:

The day after Bobby Ryan reacted to negative comments made by Brian Burke in an article that was written about the process of choosing the U.S. Olympic team, the team's general manager David Poile offered a public apology to the Ottawa Senators forward, who was left off the team.

"I'm trying right now to apologize to Bobby Ryan," said Poile during a conference call on Friday. "If it was said about me, I would be upset. Denigrating any player is not what anyone signed up for."

Hug it out, boys.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#75 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

From TSN:

Hug it out, boys.

damage control but none the less good for Poile to do it.

kftx.jpg

#76 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

No surprise with the back-peddling/apologies by both camps.

Injuries may lead to Team USA needing Ryan to be on the team... and well, Ryan wants to be on the team... so hugging it out is in order.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#77 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

I wonder if Poile and the gang are starting to reconsider their decision to giver Burnside "unprecedented access" to their decision making process?  Not because they would have done things differently, but because it's becoming a bigger headache than it ever needed to be.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#78 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

I wonder if Poile and the gang are starting to reconsider their decision to giver Burnside "unprecedented access" to their decision making process?  Not because they would have done things differently, but because it's becoming a bigger headache than it ever needed to be.

I'm sure they're regretting it big time.  From the get-go, Burnside was probably drooling at the prospects of uncovering and printing some controversial info. from these meetings while Poile and Co. were too busy patting themselves on the back for giving the nation a glimpse inside the selection process for the team to realize the possible consequences.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#79 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

I'm sure they're regretting it big time.  From the get-go, Burnside was probably drooling at the prospects of uncovering and printing some controversial info. from these meetings while Poile and Co. were too busy patting themselves on the back for giving the nation a glimpse inside the selection process for the team to realize the possible consequences.

Dean Lombardi and Shero managed to do their job without insulting other players, so Burke only has himself to blame for this.

kftx.jpg

#80 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

Where the fark is Bobby Ryan on this roster? 

FAIL