• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

What's Killing Our Offense?

Rate this topic

Our offense has always started with our blue line. That hasn't really been happening ever since we lost Rafalski and Lidstrom. Right now it's barely happening at all, and I believe that has everything to do with our crappy output. Who on our blue line is really capable of running the offense, consistently making that excellent first pass, moving the puck like a true pro? We have Kronwall and...Smith? Kindl? Ericsson has been good for us, and so has DeKeyser - but they're defensive defensemen, as is Lashoff. (Not sure what Quincey is. And yes, I mean that in a mean way.) A guy like Subban (i.e. a gifted offensive defenseman) would do wonders for our offense, IMHO.

Not that I wouldn't love a scoring winger. But I think the bigggest problem with our offense is our defense, mostly the "offensive" side of it.

Let's hope that Sproul and Ouellet don't get Nyquistatar'd in the minors and make the team asap. Ouellet looked awesome in his 1st game and Sproul should run our PP asap as well. If Smith doesn't get his s*** together asap, then i'l like to see the following next year:

Kronwall-DeKeyser

Sproul-Ouellet

Kindl-Ericsson

Smith/Almqvist

Could we cut a deal with the oilers? Can't really part with a D man though. Can't see it happening

Sure we can, Quincey.

We trade Quincey, Samuelsson, Eaves and Tootoo for their 4th round pick (who cares what we get). We call up Nyquist to his rightful place, bring up Almqvist and let Sproul and Ouellet finish the year in GR ready to take the 2nd pairing next year and we bring up Glendening whenever needed as we are currently doing. More offense needed? Bring up Jurco for a game here and there.

When we have "insert league here" Defenseman of the Year all through our system, we surely can trade away Dmen.

If I had a time machine, I'd save Konstantinov. Theres our dozen Cups. Vladdy was a clean, hard hitter with 10x the skill of that meathead.

I had that thought as well as taking dats z and lids in there with them.

But UNLIKE just taking pronger in the time machine, that's unrealistic.

HA.

And as much as I agree, pronger took crappy teams to Stanley cup finals.

He was pretty dirty, but one pronger is greater grit than all the grit weve had on our team in over a decade.

Forwards skated differently around him, they were timid on the puck.

Edit: I would stop them from getting in that limo just to keep them safe, even if they weren't going to play hockey again.

Now imagine that playing next to Lidstrom who would swipe the puck from anyone who came near him on a rush.

I've had wet dreams about less.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

Our offense has always started with our blue line. That hasn't really been happening ever since we lost Rafalski and Lidstrom. Right now it's barely happening at all, and I believe that has everything to do with our crappy output. Who on our blue line is really capable of running the offense, consistently making that excellent first pass, moving the puck like a true pro? We have Kronwall and...Smith? Kindl? Ericsson has been good for us, and so has DeKeyser - but they're defensive defensemen, as is Lashoff. (Not sure what Quincey is. And yes, I mean that in a mean way.) A guy like Subban (i.e. a gifted offensive defenseman) would do wonders for our offense, IMHO.

Not that I wouldn't love a scoring winger. But I think the biggest problem with our offense is our defense, mostly the "offensive" side of it.

I would still disagree, the problem in my opinion is there is absolutely no one on the team that is a goal scorer. Without someone willing to take the pass from the D or the playmaking forwards all the PP QB in the world won't make much difference.

Yes, this. This, this, this.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are, right now, about as good as they're going to be from here on out. Alfredsson is here and he's awesome and ludicrously motivated. Howard is in fine form.

Ericsson is good enough that he can play top-pairing minutes or drop down to the second pairing and be really, really good - so, point being, it's not like adding a high-end defenseman would give us only two really good defensemen (which, I admit, probably wouldn't be worth it). It'd give us three studs plus DeKeyser, and that's a potentially Cup-winning top four, unlike what we have now (yeah, we're gonna win it all with Smith-Quincey getting pretty big minutes. Excuse me while I barf.)

Or, if we wanna go for a scoring forward - go for it, Ken! We need all the scoring help we can get! Do it!

This team is nowhere good enough to be a legitimate Cup contender. I'm starting to feel bad for Alfie. Do you see us beating the Pens in a best-of-seven? Boston? I think even the Leafs would thump us, and, ick, that's a new and extremely unpleasant notion. Or, let's say we come out of the East. Do we beat the 'hawks or Sharks or even the Avs? OK, maybe the Avs. But it'd probably be close, and Mule would have to be the real Mule, which we can't really count on.

"Well, two things, Robert."

Go ahead.

"First, we took the Blackhawks to seven games last season."

I think we got a bit...well, I don't want to say lucky. I'll put it this way: I don't see us doing that again. We were just obscenely incredible for that three-game stretch, and the 'hawks were not themselves during that time. They got their crap together, Brendan Smith existed, and we ended that series on an incredibly terrible, madly disappointing, searingly sour note.

"OK, fair enough. But, the second thing is, we're in the middle of a big transition phase; we should be satisfied with just making the playoffs."

Booooooo!!!

We're the Red Wings. It's Cup or bust every season, no excuses. And Daniel Alfredsson, who some believe is God Himself, chose the Wings over the Bruins for His final push. So, win the Cup or go to Hell. (No pressure.)

/weekly rant

Rant more often than weekly.

And ask yourself questions in the 3rd person on the daily.

That made me smile.

I find this sort of minutiae both fascinating and riveting...at the same time.

Since the start of the Modern Conference Era (1993-94) in the League, it's the fewest goals scored total (33) in the first fourteen games by the Club, three fewer than 1996-97.

And, it's the tenth fewest goals scored total all-time, tied with the 1959-60 team.

So...it begs to ask the question: How, at this current juncture of the season, can a team with such an inept ability to put the "biscuit in the basket" still have both such impressive record and standing in their newly-minted Conference home?

weirdorwhatshatner.jpg

Maybe this man has the answer.