• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

2014 draft thoughts.

Rate this topic

Pumpkin. You brought up jarnkrok. Some thoughts. 1. he is always the smallest guy on the ice, regardless of what they list him at. 2. he is already 22-turns 23 this year. 3. He is being outproduced by that offensive dynmo Emmerton, and Cory has played 20 fewer games than jarnkrok has.

Yes he has some more time-2 more years. But to date I don't see anything that screams star or even above average NHL player.

Sa,e with frk and Tvardon. yes both have talent and produced to Junior. But that is not pro hockey were neither has made much impact yet. Again, first year for Frk and he has 2 more years to make or break it.

Point is, at some point potential has to turn into production.

One last thing. Little Tuzzi is done for the year. Same injury as last year-concussion/neck injury. Cleaned out his locker and is in Detroit for medical evals. This could be a long term/career ending thing. It is serious.

Buppy we are thin. very thin. I have already moved up most of the guys ready. tatar, nyquist, Callahan, Pulk, Jurco, Andersson-forgot him earlier, and Sheahan. That is just about everyone off of the Griffins. mantha, AA, Nastisauk need at least a year more of seasoning. Then they will be up. The rest of the guys we own the rights to are either: 1. not producing, or 2. several years away. Many are still playing college hockey, junior hockey, or yet to be drafted. Couple over in Europe. 3. This doesn't allow for any guys to fail. Which of course several will. Not everyone makes it. Some get hurt. That is why more depth is needed. Be it via draft, trades or UFA. We need more F's. Stars would be great, but just depth would be a major help right now.

Pumpkin. You brought up jarnkrok. Some thoughts. 1. he is always the smallest guy on the ice, regardless of what they list him at. 2. he is already 22-turns 23 this year. 3. He is being outproduced by that offensive dynmo Emmerton, and Cory has played 20 fewer games than jarnkrok has.

Yes he has some more time-2 more years. But to date I don't see anything that screams star or even above average NHL player.

Sa,e with frk and Tvardon. yes both have talent and produced to Junior. But that is not pro hockey were neither has made much impact yet. Again, first year for Frk and he has 2 more years to make or break it.

Point is, at some point potential has to turn into production.

One last thing. Little Tuzzi is done for the year. Same injury as last year-concussion/neck injury. Cleaned out his locker and is in Detroit for medical evals. This could be a long term/career ending thing. It is serious.

Jarnkrok has 13 points in his last 13 games and is finally starting to adjust to the NA rink. Since it's his first year here let's cut him some slack.

There's a reason he's been touted as our top prospect for the last couple years.

Also Tvrdon amd Frk are in their first pro years. For someone who is so consumed by fantasy and future you sure don't seem to have much patience.

Any source on Bertuzzi "career ending injury". Thats quite the statement.

Jarnkrok has 13 points in his last 13 games and is finally starting to adjust to the NA rink. Since it's his first year here let's cut him some slack.

There's a reason he's been touted as our top prospect for the last couple years.

Also Tvrdon amd Frk are in their first pro years. For someone who is so consumed by fantasy and future you sure don't seem to have much patience.

Any source on Bertuzzi "career ending injury". Thats quite the statement.

Every injury is "potentially career ending" in his book. Just gloss over.

The DG stands for Draft Guy... Fantasizing about potential draftees, little regard for who we already have

Absolutely nothing there about a "career ending injury".

We all know he's injured. With his style of game it's no surprise. Get healthy and take another step forward next season.

Nope, sorry, his career is over. Just like Zetterbergs and Franzens.

Buppy we are thin. very thin. I have already moved up most of the guys ready. tatar, nyquist, Callahan, Pulk, Jurco, Andersson-forgot him earlier, and Sheahan. That is just about everyone off of the Griffins. mantha, AA, Nastisauk need at least a year more of seasoning. Then they will be up. The rest of the guys we own the rights to are either: 1. not producing, or 2. several years away. Many are still playing college hockey, junior hockey, or yet to be drafted. Couple over in Europe. 3. This doesn't allow for any guys to fail. Which of course several will. Not everyone makes it. Some get hurt. That is why more depth is needed. Be it via draft, trades or UFA. We need more F's. Stars would be great, but just depth would be a major help right now.

So if I decide to ignore half our defensive prospects, does that make us thin there? Or are you the only one who's allowed to decide which prospects count?

Jarnkrok played conservative and didn't want to take risks on offense until he got comfortable with the smaller ice area. With his scoring lately I'd say things are starting coming together for him. Blashill praises the way he plays. The two-way game is there, he just needs a little more strength and a little more experience.

Also, KH should trade for Elias Lindholm so he can play with his cousin in the future ^_^

SOW, follow closely. I wrote: "this could be a long term/career ending injury". That means MAYBE. Fact is it is already long term. When a guy misses 30 games in one season-2012/13 gets healthy, then comes back and misses 39 games the next season 2013/14 with a repeat of the same injury, that is now long term. Worst part is, no one is 100% sure what it is yet. Anytime you have injuries to the CNS, those are serious injuries. many players in many sports have had their careers ended by those things. Now is anything final? No. Until the medical professionals find out what it is, no one is even sure how to treat/correct the problem. There is a story online from "ourwindsor.ca" from January about this.

As for other questions, no I don't decide who is a prospect, the players do. As for cutting out half of the D, I haven't even included half of the Dmen that the RW's control. Nicastro, Nedomlel, Wheaton, McNulty, Marshall, and Fournier. History says one of them should become something. But until they step up and show it, we don't know. The F's I have mentioned have stepped up and have shown they can play at high levels in their respective leagues.

Edited by Richdg

SOW, follow closely. I wrote: "this could be a long term/career ending injury". That means MAYBE. Fact is it is already long term. When a guy misses 30 games in one season-2012/13 gets healthy, then comes back and misses 39 games the next season 2013/14 with a repeat of the same injury, that is now long term. Worst part is, no one is 100% sure what it is yet. Anytime you have injuries to the CNS, those are serious injuries. many players in many sports have had their careers ended by those things. Now is anything final? No. Until the medical professionals find out what it is, no one is even sure how to treat/correct the problem. There is a story online from "ourwindsor.ca" from January about this.

As for other questions, no I don't decide who is a prospect, the players do. As for cutting out half of the D, I haven't even included half of the Dmen that the RW's control. Nicastro, Nedomlel, Wheaton, McNulty, Marshall, and Fournier. History says one of them should become something. But until they step up and show it, we don't know. The F's I have mentioned have stepped up and have shown they can play at high levels in their respective leagues.

If you haven't noticed by now your constant undermining of, well just about every person/player/prospect in the system/organization is getting old.

Just look at how people respond to just about all of your posts. You've got a negative spin for everything and everyone. But just wait...that NEXT draft will be our saviour right?

If it bothers you then don't reply. You may call it negative, I call it honest. The goal is to win the SC. We are not a SC caliber team right now and will not be for a couple more years. We have issues that need to be fixed. Pretending that we don't is why dynasty's die. We need a major infusion of young talent. It will come, but it takes time. You rarely get more than 1 or 2 quality NHL players per draft.

Guest DeGraa55

Btw nyquist was regarded as top prospect not jarnkrok I thought? And for me little tuzzi isn't an nhler because of the fact he was projected as the like 200th prospect it'll take a lot for me to consider him a prospect. People don't really consider almquist a big name prospect he will be a third pairing nhler if lucky. Same with tuzzi 4th line nhler at best. That's not a prospect I'll ever look forward to seeing.

Now guys like jarnkrok oullete sproul mraz Paterson mantha Sheahan etc etc I'm excited about. Not all will be stars but some will be I'm sure.

I'm also looking forward to going to jarnkrok play. I saw him last year and yes was unimpressive. But it does take time to adjust. The part is if I remember right jarnkrok is a righty something we need. I also would down the road if they all pan out love a line of mantha jarnkrok nyquist. And before mantha is up maybe Tatar.

Btw nyquist was regarded as top prospect not jarnkrok I thought? And for me little tuzzi isn't an nhler because of the fact he was projected as the like 200th prospect it'll take a lot for me to consider him a prospect. People don't really consider almquist a big name prospect he will be a third pairing nhler if lucky. Same with tuzzi 4th line nhler at best. That's not a prospect I'll ever look forward to seeing.

Now guys like jarnkrok oullete sproul mraz Paterson mantha Sheahan etc etc I'm excited about. Not all will be stars but some will be I'm sure.

I'm also looking forward to going to jarnkrok play. I saw him last year and yes was unimpressive. But it does take time to adjust. The part is if I remember right jarnkrok is a righty something we need. I also would down the road if they all pan out love a line of mantha jarnkrok nyquist. And before mantha is up maybe Tatar.

It's not like the Wings drafted Bertuzzi thinking he was gonna be a top liner one day. They expect him to play third/fourth line. I don't really care what he was ranked by CSS either. The Wings have their own ranking based on a better scouting staff. You look at guys like Tuzzi, Mantha, Athanasiou, Nastasiuk, and they aren't ranked that high in their respective rounds, then they get drafted by the wings and they explode. They see things in certain players that other teams don't. I'm guessing they projected Bertuzzi to be an exceptional gritty bottom 6 player.

It's not like the Wings drafted Bertuzzi thinking he was gonna be a top liner one day. They expect him to play third/fourth line. I don't really care what he was ranked by CSS either. The Wings have their own ranking based on a better scouting staff. You look at guys like Tuzzi, Mantha, Athanasiou, Nastasiuk, and they aren't ranked that high in their respective rounds, then they get drafted by the wings and they explode. They see things in certain players that other teams don't. I'm guessing they projected Bertuzzi to be an exceptional gritty bottom 6 player.

Exactly. Anyone recall our 6th round pick from this past draft? Mark McNulty? Has scored 24 points in his past 25 games. Oh and he's a defenceman. Oh and he's 6'6". Oh and he has over 100 pims.

He is third in the WHL for goals by a defenceman at 17 behind first round picks Morrissey and Pulock.

Point is guys surpass ratings and expectations.

Guest DeGraa55

Tuzzi was only drafter because of Todd. It has nothing to do with his rankings as a player. The other illitch team(tigers) has a history of doing that with many families.

Edited by DeGraa55

Exactly. Anyone recall our 6th round pick from this past draft? Mark McNulty? Has scored 24 points in his past 25 games. Oh and he's a defenceman. Oh and he's 6'6". Oh and he has over 100 pims.

He is third in the WHL for goals by a defenceman at 17 behind first round picks Morrissey and Pulock.

Point is guys surpass ratings and expectations.

Exactly why we should not take a defenseman in the 1st. This draft is shallow on Dman so any at our pick would be a reach, let alone an Ericsson clone. There are good prospects in later rounds to fill that role.

Mantha was ranked 15-20 in the 1st round last year by everyone. Nastisauk was considered a 2/3 round pick but was rising fast. There are no secrets in this. I don't remember were AA was ranked. Fact is Little Tuzzi was outside the top 200 by everyone and we passed on tons of guys that could be stars in the NHL some day to take him. That makes it a bad pick. hayden was there, Fasching, many others. But that is done.

Now it is time for the 2014 draft. Some will agree and some disagree with me, which is fine, these are just my opinions. But as I have mentioned when looking at our system and team needs over the enxt couple of years, we still need more F's. Yes if a super drops, or we end up picking 1st, that changes things. I still believe we end up between 14-20 in the draft. There are several good RHed F's that will be there and very much fit positions of major need.

Mantha was ranked 15-20 in the 1st round last year by everyone. Nastisauk was considered a 2/3 round pick but was rising fast. There are no secrets in this. I don't remember were AA was ranked. Fact is Little Tuzzi was outside the top 200 by everyone and we passed on tons of guys that could be stars in the NHL some day to take him. That makes it a bad pick. hayden was there, Fasching, many others. But that is done.

Now it is time for the 2014 draft. Some will agree and some disagree with me, which is fine, these are just my opinions. But as I have mentioned when looking at our system and team needs over the enxt couple of years, we still need more F's. Yes if a super drops, or we end up picking 1st, that changes things. I still believe we end up between 14-20 in the draft. There are several good RHed F's that will be there and very much fit positions of major need.

Let's wait a little longer than 9 months to call it a bad pick. Was everyone the was picked before Datsyuk a bad pick? Give it a few years to see how it pans out. Could be a great pick. Who knows.

Again... Don't care where CSS ranked him. Wings have their own rankings with better scouts. That's how we draft so well. Tyler went from 0.5 pts per game his draft year to 1.2 ppg this year. Obviously they saw potential that the CSS didn't see.

Tuzzi was only drafter because of Todd. It has nothing to do with his rankings as a player. The other illitch team(tigers) has a history of doing that with many families.

I have no doubt that played a role. Was that the only reason? Heck no. The wings are running a business not a charity. Tyler is an Avery type guy. Having big Bert in house to keep a tight leash on him and teach him some class is a big advantage. Plus mini Bert has shown he can score at high level now too.

Guest DeGraa55

Juniors is a high level? To me high level is the nhl so no he hasn't proven anything.

Juniors is a high level? To me high level is the nhl so no he hasn't proven anything.

Not at all what I was suggesting. Going from a .5 ppg player to 1.2 ppg player is a big increase. Shows he can score. Just ignore the rest of my points thou