• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DickieDunn

Would you be ok with this roster?

Rate this topic

Would you be ok with no free agent signings?  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I actually think Zidlicky would be a good fit here. I'm sure an old, undersized, offensive-minded Euro wouldn't be popular, but he's still an effective player who fills one of our needs.

Yes. And I can totally see Holland signing someone in this mold to a one year Gonchar-type deal. Same goes for a forward.

Stop gaps that come off the books when the kids are ready.

Yes. And I can totally see Holland signing someone in this mold to a one year Gonchar-type deal. Same goes for a forward.

Stop gaps that come off the books when the kids are ready.

...like Cleary, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, etc? If the last 2 seasons have shown us anything at all, it's that the kids are ready. Or at least close enough that they can be brought up and play meaningful minutes.

I think if we can't obtain Vanek/Callahan/Moulson/Girardi AKA special players in UFA then we should just promote our youth. We might as well develop our prospects if we are bringing in middle level players. Otherwise get one/some of these special UFAs and try to make a cup run.

...like Cleary, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, etc? If the last 2 seasons have shown us anything at all, it's that the kids are ready. Or at least close enough that they can be brought up and play meaningful minutes.

I'm not talking about guys that should have retired two years ago.

I'm referring to guys like Dan Boyle, Kimmo Timonen, or (heaven forbid) Jagr.

Guys that can still play, willinging to sign a one year deal.

Plus this year's mess was due to cap space. The Wings will have plenty next year.

Also, I'm not saying that I want this, just that Kenny might do it.

Wings need to be very selective when it comes to free agents the next couple years

Agreed.

IF Kenny decides he still has an itch to sign some old farts, I really hope it's these two. Otherwise no more grandpas on the team.

DD you raise some good questions. Far more than you realize.

1. Do I think the roster you posted is going to be close to our roster on opening day? yes I do. 2-3 differences but very close.

2. Do I think the roster you provided makes more sense than this years roster? yes I do. Spending money of old broken down guys just to spend money is stupid.

3. Do I like the roster posted? no. In fact I think that is the lease talented roster I have seen by the RW's in about 30 years. It really isn't very good. Maybe 90 points.

4. Do I think we need to go young right now? yes I do. yes I fully understand that may break the streak.

I voted no for the following:

1) No Alfredsson. I find it hard to imagine the Wings would let him walk/he wouldn't want to come back for another season

2) Glendening should be in that lineup.

3) I'm starting to feel that there isn't a place for Andersson in this lineup. I'm struggling to fight through the fog of our bottom 6 players and wonder whether its worth shipping him elsewhere and letting the kids play.

4) Not enough grit either for my liking. Needs a tough guy/power forward in there that can score a little and get his nose dirty.

5) I'm overly concerned about Mule - you've seen how long guys have been out with post concussion syndrome, and how will it affect his game? Will he shy away from contact completely in fear of getting hurt again?

6) I said this to myself at the time, and I hope I'm wrong, but I still don't like the Weiss deal. Hernias are a ***** I know, and if that's brought him down this year then I'm willing to wait until we have a proper assessment of him. But my gut feeling was this guy was too small and hasn't shown enough to warrant that kind of contract.

Besides that I'm happy. :lol:

EDIT: regarding Andersson, I know he's relatively young, but I just haven't seen a reason to have him in the lineup when IMO there are players who would better plug the hole in the bottom 6…...

Edited by wings4thecup06

I'm not talking about guys that should have retired two years ago.

Guys that can still play, willinging to sign a one year deal.

Plus this year's mess was due to cap space. The Wings will have plenty next year.

Also, I'm not saying that I want this, just that Kenny might do it.

Agreed.

Understood. Unless the guy is someone who can really help the team, I would rather just go young and see what they can do to start the year. They can always make a deal in-season if they need help, and they will have plenty of cap space.

No simply because defense. We need a top 3 defenseman. The young forwards will improve.

If the young forward will improve, isn't there also a likelihood that the young defencemen will as well? Or are forwards the only position players that get better with age?

I actually think Zidlicky would be a good fit here. I'm sure an old, undersized, offensive-minded Euro wouldn't be popular, but he's still an effective player who fills one of our needs.

I was thinking about Zidlicky too. I agree with your thoughts about the unpopularity of the move. But he's a good puck mover and would definitely help on the powerplay. His contract isn't too bad either.

I'm still surprised at the lack of love Eaves gets around these boards and to a certain extent from management, considering they waived him. I want this guy to sign a deal similar to what Miller signed. Good on the pk, good skater, doesn't mind being a grinder, forechecks very well, responsible in his own zone, has the offensive skill set to pop in goals, good size, right-handed shot with adequate defensive awareness to play the point on the PP, and as we've seen lately he's one of our better guys in the shoutout.

I would like our bottom six to consist of a miller-helm-eaves line. They have been together in the past and I really thought they were great together.

Is the only knock on Eaves that he's not a prospect whom we have yet to lose our hard-on for based on unrealistic expectations certain fans place on our youth?

Edited by WhiteLightning91

I'm still surprised at the lack of love Eaves gets around these boards and to a certain extent from management, considering they waived him. I want this guy to sign a deal similar to what Miller signed. Good on the pk, good skater, doesn't mind being a grinder, forechecks very well, responsible in his own zone, has the offensive skill set to pop in goals, good size, right-handed shot with adequate defensive awareness to play the point on the PP, and as we've seen lately he's one of our better guys in the shoutout.

I would like our bottom six to consist of a miller-helm-eaves line. They have been together in the past and I really thought they were great together.

Is the only knock on Eaves that he's not a prospect whom we have yet to lose our hard-on for based on unrealistic expectations certain fans place on our youth?

I don't think anyone is anti-Eaves. I think he has just struggled to find his place on the team since missing a year to injury. As such, he just seems expendable comparatively. Especially with the accent of the young guys.

Personally, I think he's ideally suited for a third line semi-scoring role (which he wouldn't get on this team). He's got more to give than your average everyday grinder. As such, I really think it's a disservice to him to stay on this team. I see him going to a young team in the offseason and having a good bit more success than he's had here. He'd fit in well on Edmonton's team to be honest.

Edited by kipwinger

Though I'm ecstatic that Eaves scored the shootout goal last night, I'd suggest that 3 attempts is a pretty small sample size and not enough to suggest that he's one of the better shootout options.

I would agree that there's not too many decent shootout options.

The bottom line is Eaves is a ufa and the Wings have kids coming up. Sheahan for sure can play a 3rd line role next year, maybe even carry the top line's piano. I think he's a useful player, but doesn't bring enough to warrant being brought back next year.

The way I look at it, is we're not winning games. Plain and simple. Before anyone blames the injury bug, we've won some incredible games against top teams with key players injured so that isn't working for me anymore. The team is just inconsistent and too many holes need filled (not plugged).

My 2 cents.

The way I look at it, is we're not winning games. Plain and simple. Before anyone blames the injury bug, we've won some incredible games against top teams with key players injured so that isn't working for me anymore. The team is just inconsistent and too many holes need filled (not plugged).

My 2 cents.

The injuries and role in roles they're not accustomed to, and a lack of consistent lines, are why the team is so inconsistent.

Long term the best option is replacing the vets with the kids, and using the gained cap space for trades at a future date.

Short term the best option is gaining another top player in this years FA while we have the cap space and still have Pavs and z.

IMO, I think we should steer clear of overpaid FAs. Let the kids work next year, and come trade deadline trade the expendable kids for a top available player.

Basically, if we use FA this year we WILL lose a prospect to waivers. I'd rather bang the buck and trade him at a later date

Edited by number9