Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1600 replies to this topic

#321 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:26 AM

From an outside view I'm really looking forward to the game Russia - USA. It will be far the best one of in the RR I think Americas speed is too much to handle for the Russian defense, but Russias top 6 is scary good.

Finland will be Canadas first test tomorrow so far I've been impressed by Weber, Doughty, Carter and I really thought Duchene played a great game against the Austrians. Their captain Vanek should learn a thing or two from Kopitar yeah it's not easy to be the guy on a weak team, the best player needs to be your best player.

Crosbys line still isn't working surprise surprise ...Kunitz on the big ice doesn't work I would try MSL on Crosbys wing.

Sweden is now in a really tough spot, the defense wasn't good to begin with and now their top 6 has to find a way to replace Z.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#322 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:32 AM

I thought Slovakia looked surprisingly bad as well, but if I understand the format of this tournament I think both teams will end up playing in the qualification round and I wouldn't be willing to bet on either.

Only 4 teams don't play in the qualification round and Sweden has already locked up one of those spots, the Winner of todays game between Russia and the US will take another and Sunday's game between Canada and Finland will decide another with the 4th being decided by goal differential.

#323 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:06 AM

Let's go Russia!  Hoping for a win for the home team against the US today.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#324 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:13 AM

Let's go Russia!  Hoping for a win for the home team against the US today.

That's going to go over well here.

I actually hope the US wins, I want Datsyuk done as soon as possible so we don't lose him too.

#325 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:29 AM

Well done Slovenia,another good game at the Olympics.Feel sorry for Slovakia,but we'll have Tatar and Jurčo back earlier than expected.

#326 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:32 AM

Well done Slovenia,another good game at the Olympics.Feel sorry for Slovakia,but we'll have Tatar and Jurčo back earlier than expected.

On the bright side though, someone pointed out that they have 2 goals in 2 games scored by Tatar and Jurco.

I'd be quite ok with Datsyuk taking a gold medal back to the Wings dressing room with him and have him go back there feeling good and loose, ready for a playoff run that begins without Z.

Edit:  As I sit here in my Datsyuk shirt ready to cheer him on!  ;)

Edited by Z Winged Dangler, 15 February 2014 - 07:34 AM.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#327 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:34 AM

A little surprise,Bobrovsky on goal for Russia

#328 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:41 AM

Haha  Ryan Callahan is awesome.  I'd really like the USA team if it weren't for my complete hate for Kesler and Orpik.

#329 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:49 AM

USA!!!  USA!! USA!!!!

#330 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:50 AM

My adrenaline is pumping. Also, wtf Wheeler?

#331 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:55 AM

My adrenaline is pumping. Also, wtf Wheeler?

That was a pretty weak trip.  Kovalchuk went down pretty easy there.

That last play really makes you wonder if refs wear a cup in those ref pants.

#332 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:55 AM

Pasha's skating much better this game.Hope he'll stay healthy

#333 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:57 AM

I agree completely! Very good sign

#334 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:58 AM

Kovalchuk is trying to reach his number in blind pass giveaways today.

#335 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:03 AM

Watching this game makes me like the changes they made to the Womens tournament even more.

They put the top 4 teams in one pool and the bottom 4 in the other with all 4 of the top pool moving on to the next round with 2 getting byes and the other 2 facing the top 2 of the weaker pool.

I'd love to see a round robin with any combination of Russia, USA, Canada, Finland, and Sweden with less lopsided games vs the weaker teams in the tournament.

This game is what Olympic hockey is all about.

#336 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:03 AM

From an outside view I'm really looking forward to the game Russia - USA. It will be far the best one of in the RR I think Americas speed is too much to handle for the Russian defense, but Russias top 6 is scary good.

Finland will be Canadas first test tomorrow so far I've been impressed by Weber, Doughty, Carter and I really thought Duchene played a great game against the Austrians. Their captain Vanek should learn a thing or two from Kopitar yeah it's not easy to be the guy on a weak team, the best player needs to be your best player.

Crosbys line still isn't working surprise surprise ...Kunitz on the big ice doesn't work I would try MSL on Crosbys wing.

Sweden is now in a really tough spot, the defense wasn't good to begin with and now their top 6 has to find a way to replace Z.

One may notice though that their bottom 6 is scary below average for the olympic stage.  This game may be decided by depth, which is a battle that the Americans would win as they have 4 solid lines.  Nichuskin (spelling?) and Kulemin are not gonna cut it.

#337 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:06 AM

Let's make this PP work boys!

#338 HockeytownRules19

HockeytownRules19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:08 AM

Solid Period from the US... Pasha does look a ton better than game 1 which is great news

#339 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:10 AM

#340 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:10 AM

Definately.  1st game he seemed more like a 3rd defenceman, and he started this game like one too, but after a couple of shifts he looked like normal Pavel.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk