• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

1-13-2

Rate this topic

The Wings D don't have another gear, so when the opposing team is starting to push we have nothing to push back with. I also think that the biggest culprit, aside from poor goal-tending late in games, has been the propensity to over commit on defense as well as offense. The Wings play a relatively structured game for two periods and then, as witnessed the last several games, start getting anxious and run completely out of position. Bad defense has become an epidemic even guys that are usually pretty solid are making boneheaded mistakes.

According to nhl.com the Wings have a 66.6% win rate when leading after two. Somehow the Islanders are below us (the only team) with 45%, which is truly astonishing.

That is the most telling stat for the season. Your not supposed to win many games you trail going into the third. Your expected to win a lot more than they are when leading going into it though. So many lost points.

By the end of next week (March 23) we will see if the Wings are still in the hunt for a playoff spot. If we are not in within 5 to 6 points of the 8th spot, I really think the remaining 3 weeks should look like preseason games. There is no reason to have guys like Datsyuk, Franzen, Howie, Alfie, Helm, Legwand and such out there for games that do not mean anything. This would however be a great time to get guys that we need to see for next year which will then help decide what positions we need to target in the off season.

1-13-2 is very UnWings like, but the NHL is changing ALOT and parity is the new word in the NHL these days. 1-13-2 is really not shocking when you see teams locking down in the third period when they have the lead. The major reason the Wings do not have a decent hold on a playoff spot is because they could not hold onto leads in third period. There was a stretch I believe in November and December where we lost 5 straight games in shootouts and had the leads in those games. Dallas was the only Western Conference team we could "afford" to give points too, otherwise teams we are fighting against were handed 2 critical points.

The next 6 games will be huge for the Wings (12 possible points) I would say the Wings need 9 points of the 12 to still stay in the race. 2 Huge points against Toronto and Pittsburgh up for grabs mid week may just decide the playoff fate of the Wings.

Good God I hope that I am wrong and we pull of a miracle, but I just don't see it.

The Wings D don't have another gear, so when the opposing team is starting to push we have nothing to push back with. I also think that the biggest culprit, aside from poor goal-tending late in games, has been the propensity to over commit on defense as well as offense. The Wings play a relatively structured game for two periods and then, as witnessed the last several games, start getting anxious and run completely out of position. Bad defense has become an epidemic even guys that are usually pretty solid are making boneheaded mistakes.

One thing I really don't get is Babs' belief that we need to win games 2-1. Maybe that works for Team Canada (aka The Greatest Hockey Team Ever Assembled), but not for us. Not with our blue line and goaltending.

There are of course many ways to say we are not very good. Right after the trade deadline, one of the trade sites had up everyones point totals from Dec 1 though the deadline. We had 33, which was 15th out of 16 in the EC.

thing I really don't get is Babs' belief that we need to win games 2-1. Maybe that works for Team Canada (aka The Greatest Hockey Team Ever Assembled), but not for us. Not with our blue line and goaltending.

Exactly, we score a couple early and go into a defensive mode, but with the team defense being what it is its only a matter of time before the opposing team scores. Just a crappy strategy. Edited by wings87