• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frankgrimes

TSN new website a mess ?

Rate this topic

I don't get it TSN has had such an informative and well organized site. Yeah, you want a more modern look but why not keep the great structure instead of throwing the whole concept over board and thencreate something where nobody knows, how to find stuff ?! i.e. Podcasts, Season Preview...

Also please stop that stupid "load more" button and add SITE numbers seriously how difficult is that ? Even I could code that.

Now the site looks "modern" but more like a mobile unorganized site...disappointed. If somebody knows where to find the podcasts etc. please link them :(

I think it's quite clean and sharp... The old one was quite cluttered.

As for the podcasts, they can always be found on Itunes.

Also you can click the Radio tab... then choose a station...then choose Audio....Then choose....

Edited by Son of a Wing

It appears to be responsive design. If you shrink the window of your browser, notice how it conforms to the size? This is so they don't have to have multiple sites for different devices (ie. tablets, cells phones). Personally, I don't like the look of it.

I don't think it's too bad. It's not as crowded as the old version. Also the articles are in the now-standard single column with a side navigation bar. One thing I like about their side bar is that it doesn't follow you as you scroll through the articles. That feature is so damn annoying. Anyways, I was OK with the previous site, but I like the cleaner look of the new version.

(Sorry, I've been developing web apps/sites for 18 years lol)

It's actually growing a bit on me as I'm getting more used to it. But instead of all the Twitter stuff they should have kept the right video column.

Yeah I don't like the one fits all look also. I fully agree about the scroll bar it's equally as annoying as that stupid load more button.

The funny thing is the new SN site now looks a bit like the old tsn one lol

As a web dev I can appreciate the work that went into it. I'm not totally familiar with the old site, I recall the look but not so much the UI/UX design. The new site is light, responsive and not too bad of a design. While I tend to enjoy minimalistic designs, it does seem kinda too light in some ways.

They could have handles their URLs better though and redirected the pages instead of 404ing them which would have allowed you to find the pages via Google or bookmarks.

As a web dev I can appreciate the work that went into it. I'm not totally familiar with the old site, I recall the look but not so much the UI/UX design. The new site is light, responsive and not too bad of a design. While I tend to enjoy minimalistic designs, it does seem kinda too light in some ways.

They could have handles their URLs better though and redirected the pages instead of 404ing them which would have allowed you to find the pages via Google or bookmarks.

I like the design just not the structure because of all the scrolling. Also note a huge fan of the nhl like box score style.

Wow the site speed on my tablet is really fast so maybe they've had mobile experience in mind when designing it.

Must have been a lot of work to tree design their style sheet

Edited by frankgrimes

Responsive is pretty easy, just a lot of work depending on how complex the design is. It's basically defining different styles for different resolutions. If width is < 1400px, then you just put all of your styles in that conditional. Then you target every resolution that your content demands.

And optimizing sites for mobile is a big thing now because a lot of traffic is coming from mobile devices, whereas in the past they were unusable at full resolution on a mobile; especially a mobile connection.

Edited by rrasco

Responsive is pretty easy, just a lot of work depending on how complex the design is. It's basically defining different styles for different resolutions. If width is < 1400px, then you just put all of your styles in that conditional. Then you target every resolution that your content demands.

And optimizing sites for mobile is a big thing now because a lot of traffic is coming from mobile devices, whereas in the past they were unusable at full resolution on a mobile; especially a mobile connection.

Nice explanation thank you

I strongly dislike the new design. It's like they went faddy without any regard as to how to best present their content. In other words, faddy for the sake of being faddy.

EDIT: It probably looks great on mobile. This review is from somebody on a desktop, which is definitely the minority these days.

Edited by themcityblues

They definitely went faddy. Looks like all the other sports sites I see.

However, I thought the old site was awwwwwwwful. So crowded and cluttered. Maybe you guys were used to it, but as someone who's worked in the past with websites I always thought that TSN was one of the worst major sites. Not content, just the site itself. Not trying to say any of your opinions are wrong, just surprised by your reactions.

They definitely went faddy. Looks like all the other sports sites I see.

However, I thought the old site was awwwwwwwful. So crowded and cluttered. Maybe you guys were used to it, but as someone who's worked in the past with websites I always thought that TSN was one of the worst major sites. Not content, just the site itself. Not trying to say any of your opinions are wrong, just surprised by your reactions.

Oh, for sure. I hated the old site. It was way outdated with the weird columns and grey background.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I liked the columns. All they needed to do is making the site wider for desktops, full HD mobile devices and move the news column to the right. Maybe a news filter could have helped also. Have the right column split into two rows one for the videos and the other for more news problem solved

Reminds a bit of gamespot they've had a fast, responsive Web site but got rid of it just to look modern, and now it's only a huge mess. I just don't think that content and design should stand in the way of each other.

New website sucks. I liked on the old style of having only the newer/important articles having pics and listing all others in an easy to see and clickable format. Now I have to scroll and scroll to see more. I'm never a fan of videos automatically playing on any website. The borderless style I'm not a fan of.

I just might stop using TSN's website

The new website is terrible, designed for mobile users and could care less about viewing it on a computer. I have a 17" screen and only 2 articles show up at a time, and nothing else. If I wanted to endlessly and mindlessly scroll I would join Facebook. But since I want my hockey news in a nice concise, easy to spot and see 10-15 different links and stories at once, I have stopped using them.

Yahoo did the same thing, their site is a terrible mess I can't use.

Edited by LAWings

The new website is terrible, designed for mobile users and could care less about viewing it on a computer. I have a 17" screen and only 2 articles show up, and nothing else. If I wanted to endlessly and mindlessly scroll I would join Facebook. But since I want my hockey news in a nice concise, easy to spot and see 10-15 different links and stories at once, I have stopped using them.

Yahoo did the same thing, their site is a terrible mess I can't use.

So true, I guess I need to find a new site. SN has a better design but lacks in terms of features and personalities behind TSN so not an option. Going to stick with prohockeytalk for now, going to try to use the old TSN site via google cache as long as that works :(

Am I the only one who keeps getting "404 not found" half the time when searching for players stats??

I get that if I go in through Google because I think its taking you to the old URL. If you go through the main page......NHL > Players etc. it should be good.

Its really annoying though, I wont use the site anymore.