• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Scott R Lucidi

Jeff Blashill History

Rate this topic

56 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

That's the difference though. A player like Glendening can produce (minimal offense) wherever he is in the lineup. It's just the style of game he plays. A player like Perlini needs to play with skilled players. He's a lost cause in a checking role. Switching Glendening and Perlini would benefit both players and the team.

You said "probably in place of one of the "i" brothers you spotted on the wing"... To me, that would be Bertuzz"i", Fabbr"i", and Perlin"i". Why would anyone think you were talking about H"i"rose? What about Zad"i"na? Athanas"i"ou? Are they "i" brothers too?

I wouldn't be surprised if neither are on this team next year either, but I do think Perlini deserves a look with like-skilled players. I also think if given the opportunity, he would impress enough to earn a contract beyond this season. He probably won't get it though, so whatever...

What exactly is it that I'm "wrong" about? Glendening is a 4th line player, playing above his skill set. That, I'm right about. Perlini has some untapped potential, and could be a solid middle six winger. That's more of an opinion, but one I'll stand by until proven otherwise.

Sorry. In my head it's Hirosi 

You're wrong about Glendenning. He's a third liner on 2/3rds of the team's in this league. Despite what you may say, it's not blasphemy to suggest there's a role for him on most teams beyond 4th liner. 

You're wrong about AA. He's not a centre and may very well be on the way out of town. Hopefully there's a GM out there that over-values him the way most Wings fans do. Might get a nice return. 

Perlini is a big kid who can skate. No reason why he can't be a serviceable bottom sixer. Unless of course he's a) hockey dumb or b) hockey lazy. Either way, just because he's "skilled" doesn't mean he deserves a spot in the top 6. See: Galchenyuk, Alex.

39 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Abby is not a fair comparison. There are no Datsyuks or Zbergs on this team.

Zetterberg and Datsyuk had 66 and 65 points respectively that season. Larkin and Mantha could easily reach those totals this season... on a MUCH worse team...

42 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Cleary was once in the same situation. He had to learn to be a middle 6/bottom 6 guy. Then he found his place. Perlini may have to be groomed to take on the same role.

I'm not saying Perlini couldn't adapt to such a role, but why ask a skilled player to do that on a historically bad team?

Cleary came to a stacked Red Wings team in 2005. Perlini came to a league worst Red Wings team in 2019. Completely different situations. One was forced to play behind Hall of Famers. The other is forced to play behind borderline NHLers, because the coach is a knob...

50 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

I dunno man, if a player can't manage anything in sheltered fourth line minutes, I'm not convinced they deserve to take someone else's spot. 

Sure it would be great for disney.com to be in the bottom 6 where he belongs. But he will get those minutes until someone takes them.

I bet Mantha or Bert would chip in on the fourth line.

Of course they would. They're our two best wingers. No one is suggesting Perlini is a top line winger or a line driver. He's a middle six winger that needs to play with skilled players to get the most out of him. He'll never drive a line, but he could be a very solid complement to a line.

Fabbri was playing sheltered 4th line minutes in St. Louis this season. He had 1 goal, 0 assists in 9 games. He was then traded (given) to Detroit and awarded top six minutes and all of a sudden he puts up 6 goals, 6 assists in 14 games. I believe Perlini is being underutilized in Detroit, the same way Fabbri was in St. Louis. He didn't just forget how to score. He's just never played with two players as bad as Ehn and Erne in his young NHL career...

56 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

You're wrong about Glendenning. He's a third liner on 2/3rds of the team's in this league. Despite what you may say, it's not blasphemy to suggest there's a role for him on most teams beyond 4th liner. 

Says you. Glendening would be a 4th liner on at least 2/3rds of the other team's in the league, and he will eventually be again here.

58 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

You're wrong about AA. He's not a centre and may very well be on the way out of town. Hopefully there's a GM out there that over-values him the way most Wings fans do. Might get a nice return. 

Athanasiou likely isn't a center here long term, but the state of this team right now, he certainly could be, and a better one than our current bottom six centers (Nielsen and Ehn)... I've advocated trading him for the past two years, so I'm not one of the Wings fans that overvalues him, but you undervalue him all the time. 

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Perlini is a big kid who can skate. No reason why he can't be a serviceable bottom sixer. Unless of course he's a) hockey dumb or b) hockey lazy. Either way, just because he's "skilled" doesn't mean he deserves a spot in the top 6. See: Galchenyuk, Alex.

He probably "could" be a serviceable bottom six winger. But like I mentioned above, why do it when he's a top six (or at worst top nine) skilled player on this team? And there are other bottom six players that are better suited for a bottom six role?... Galchenyuk is lazy and he sucks. Also, he too would (should) be a middle six winger on this (historically bad) team...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Of course they would. They're our two best wingers. No one is suggesting Perlini is a top line winger or a line driver. He's a middle six winger that needs to play with skilled players to get the most out of him. He'll never drive a line, but he could be a very solid complement to a line.

It's not like Perlini was put on the fourth line the moment he came to Detroit. He did start in the middle six, and accomplished nothing. 

The team has only one legit top 6 center. Not many wingers on this roster get to play with him. So if a winger is only good playing with skilled players, Perlini is currently s*** out of luck on this roster. Especially once Mantha returns.

In the end, it's the NHL. If you want ice time, you have to make s*** happen and earn it. That's what separates NHLers from AHLers.

22 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

It's not like Perlini was put on the fourth line the moment he came to Detroit. He did start in the middle six, and accomplished nothing. 

The team has only one legit top 6 center. Not many wingers on this roster get to play with him. So if a winger is only good playing with skilled players, Perlini is currently s*** out of luck on this roster. Especially once Mantha returns.

In the end, it's the NHL. If you want ice time, you have to make s*** happen and earn it. That's what separates NHLers from AHLers.

I do believe some players "need to play with other skilled players to be successful" but I'm not giving anyone a pass for that. If you're like that you're basically a flawed player who can onlly find success if its profiting off the back of another better player. Hudler syndrome. Those types of forwards should be purged from the system. They are the type of players that are very limited in their usefullness and will get a big contract when they dont deserve i and end up being more of a burden than an positive.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

24 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Perlini was put on the 3rd line with s***ty 4th line calibre players the moment he came to Detroit, and has since been demoted to the 4th line with AHL calibre players...

The best player Perlini has played with at 5on5 this season is Taro Hirose. He's currently in the AHL. Other than that, he's played every game with some combination of Nielsen (1 point in 27 games), Erne (0 points in 23 games), Ehn (0 points in 22 games), Abdelkader (3 points in 16 games)... That's horse s***.

I'm not saying Perlini needs to play with elite players to produce. Just competent players. As bad as this team is, we do have some competent players outside of Larkin, Mantha, and Bertuzzi... Put him on a line with Filppula and Fabbri / Athanasiou for a few games to see what he can do. It worked for Fabbri, why is it so hard to believe it could work for Perlini? If it doesn't work out, what have we lost? Nothing.

15 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I do believe some players "need to play with other skilled players to be successful" but I'm not giving anyone a pass for that. If you're like that you're basically a flawed player who can onlly find success if its profiting off the back of another better player. Hudler syndrome. Those types of forwards should be purged from the system. They are the type of players that are very limited in their usefullness and will get a big contract when they dont deserve it.

I don't buy this. I'll bet the majority of middle six NHLers would do jack s*** with the ass players Perlini has been saddled with this season. It's very rare for players to be able to succeed despite their linemates. Most need at least some sort of help offensively. Perlini hasn't gotten any...

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't buy this. I'll bet the majority of middle six NHLers would do jack s*** with the ass players Perlini has been saddled with this season. It's very rare for players to be able to succeed despite their linemates. Most need at least some sort of help offensively. Perlini hasn't gotten any...

Gimme dem rare players. That's who I want. Seiders, Hroneks, Larkins, and Bertuzzis. Everyone else can diddly doodly sucky my balls.

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Gimme dem rare players. That's who I want. Seiders, Hroneks, Larkins, and Bertuzzis. Everyone else can diddly doodly sucky my balls.

Serious question... How many points do you think Bertuzzi would have in 10 games on a line with Ehn and Erne?

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Serious question... How many points do you think Bertuzzi would have in 10 games on a line with Ehn and Erne?

It's a good question. Bertuzzi would make that line better and I agree Tuzzi also benefits from playing with Larkin and Mantha. But unlike Perlini Bertuzzi would force you to move him up the lineup pretty quickly.

4 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

It's a good question. Bertuzzi would make that line better and I agree Tuzzi also benefits from playing with Larkin and Mantha. But unlike Perlini Bertuzzi would force you to move him up the lineup pretty quickly.

Maybe, but that's just different play styles. Perlini is never going to be a junk yard dog like Bertuzzi. That doesn't mean he shouldn't get an opportunity up the lineup. I'm not saying he should be gifted top line minutes for the rest of the season, regardless of how he plays. I'm saying give him an opportunity with skilled players, and see what happens.

Worst case scenario, we find out we traded for a dud and move on in the offseason. Best case scenario, we find out we have a player and we trade him at the deadline (for a future 3rd pairing defenseman), or extend him in the offseason. We're not finding out s*** playing him every game with borderline NHLers...

34 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Maybe, but that's just different play styles. Perlini is never going to be a junk yard dog like Bertuzzi. That doesn't mean he shouldn't get an opportunity up the lineup. I'm not saying he should be gifted top line minutes for the rest of the season, regardless of how he plays. I'm saying give him an opportunity with skilled players, and see what happens.

Worst case scenario, we find out we traded for a dud and move on in the offseason. Best case scenario, we find out we have a player and we trade him at the deadline (for a future 3rd pairing defenseman), or extend him in the offseason. We're not finding out s*** playing him every game with borderline NHLers...

I dunno I would expect to see streaks of excellence from a great player on a lesser line. I dont even see glimpses or flashes. 

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I dunno I would expect to see streaks of excellence from a great player on a lesser line. I dont even see glimpses or flashes. 

Again, I'm not saying Perlini is a "great" player. I just think he could be a solid middle six winger. And I have seen flashes of what he can do. More so in the first half dozen games. Not much lately.

11 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Again, I'm not saying Perlini is a "great" player. I just think he could be a solid middle six winger. And I have seen flashes of what he can do. More so in the first half dozen games. Not much lately.

So maybe he can be a middle six passenger who scores 30 pts with the right line mates? That type of player doesn't appeal to me much. I just don't care about him really. He doesn't bring anything positive to the team.

2 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Zadina is not scoring. But he's making himself as useful as he can. Good player now with great upside.

Perlini is totally useless at everything it seems. So, I think, bad player. 

Glendenning. VERY good player .

@krsmith17 It's like he's attempting to troll us both at the same time.

Ballsy. We can tag team him together if ur in.

7 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

So maybe he can be a middle six passenger who scores 30 pts with the right line mates? That type of player doesn't appeal to me much. I just don't care about him really. He doesn't bring anything positive to the team.

Nah, I'm saying we don't know what we have in Perlini because he hasn't been given an opportunity. He could be a 30 point, middle six winger, which is still valuable, or if everything goes right, he could be a 40-50 point, middle six winger, which is very valuable. That's probably unlikely at this point, but he did score at a 30 point pace as a 20 year old, 33 point pace as a 21 year old, and a 25 point pace as a 22 year old. He's currently on a 4 point pace as a 23 year old. He didn't just forget how to play hockey...

Again, very few middle six wingers can drive a line with other middle six forwards, let alone AHL quality forwards. If Svechnikov can get going, I see him as a similar player to Perlini. He could be a good complimentary piece to a middle six scoring line. Every team needs these types of players.

Everyone loves Fabbri and now see him as a building block for the future. However, if he were put in the same situation as Perlini, I highly doubt he'd have many points at this point either. And if Perlini were put in the same situation as Fabbri, I'd bet he would have quite a few more points. I think Fabbri may be a little better of an overall player, but neither would be capable of producing with the likes of Nielsen, Ehn, Erne, Abdelkader, etc...

10 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I do believe some players "need to play with other skilled players to be successful" but I'm not giving anyone a pass for that. If you're like that you're basically a flawed player who can onlly find success if its profiting off the back of another better player. Hudler syndrome. Those types of forwards should be purged from the system. They are the type of players that are very limited in their usefullness and will get a big contract when they dont deserve i and end up being more of a burden than an positive.

This. If you want to move up in the lineup? Outplay guys. If he can't beat out a guy like Helm now, he'll likely get his chance at the deadline when Helm is no longer around. 

In the end, our bottom 6 is basically and offensive wasteland, and there is nobody in the top 6 who deserves to lose their spot to Perlini. 

14 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

This. If you want to move up in the lineup? Outplay guys. If he can't beat out a guy like Helm now, he'll likely get his chance at the deadline when Helm is no longer around. 

In the end, our bottom 6 is basically and offensive wasteland, and there is nobody in the top 6 who deserves to lose their spot to Perlini. 

I couldn't disagree more. There are always situations where a player gets buried down the lineup, when he probably should be playing a more prominent role. Again, I'll point to Fabbri. He was buried on the Blues 4th line doing f*** all. Gets traded, and given an opportunity with skilled players, and he breaks out. It's not a coincidence. The same could easily happen with Perlini, and there doesn't need to be a trade for us to find out. Give him an opportunity in the top six, and see what happens. What's the harm?

If Zadina were put on a line with Ehn and Erne, fans would be piiiiissed (yourself included). It's bad enough he was on a line with Nielsen and Helm, but they're at least a small upgrade over the other two plugs. If Zadina were put on a line with Ehn and Erne, he'd have trouble digging himself out as well. And yes, I'm aware he set up Ehn for his first goal of the season last night. Zadina is a MUCH better player than Perlini, but it still doesn't make sense to bury either one of them.

35 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I couldn't disagree more. There are always situations where a player gets buried down the lineup, when he probably should be playing a more prominent role. Again, I'll point to Fabbri. He was buried on the Blues 4th line doing f*** all. Gets traded, and given an opportunity with skilled players, and he breaks out. It's not a coincidence. The same could easily happen with Perlini, and there doesn't need to be a trade for us to find out. Give him an opportunity in the top six, and see what happens. What's the harm?

If Zadina were put on a line with Ehn and Erne, fans would be piiiiissed (yourself included). It's bad enough he was on a line with Nielsen and Helm, but they're at least a small upgrade over the other two plugs. If Zadina were put on a line with Ehn and Erne, he'd have trouble digging himself out as well. And yes, I'm aware he set up Ehn for his first goal of the season last night. Zadina is a MUCH better player than Perlini, but it still doesn't make sense to bury either one of them.

Zadina played with Nielsen, and he still showed drive. He forechecked well. He played well without the puck. He put up a couple points. He generated scoring chances and earned a promotion to the second line. Perlini playing with the same players didn't do much of anything.

Whether you agree with it or not, this team is doing all it can to retain a culture of hard work plus results equals more ice time. Obviously that is not gonna work out for every single player, but that's the way she goes. 

All he has to do for the time being is beat out Adam ******* Erne for a third line spot and go from there. 

As for Fabbri with the Blues, he was coming off of major injuries. No doubt that also contributed to his slow start with them. I've read plenty from Blues fans at the time of the trade that he was starting to get his legs back and show flashes of his former self again. More evidence that you can show something, even on the fourth line. Problem in St. Louis was their depth. Even if he played well, he had a mountain to climb in terms of beating out other guys for ice time. 

Edited by marcaractac

Whether  perlini plays top 6 next 5 games or not he wont be here much longer with zadina,rasmussen,veleno,lafraniere/byfield,svechnikov,berggren,mastrosimone etc... all coming for top minutes next 2 years , if he cant crack it now he’a got zero chance next year 

we won the fabbri trade and we lost this trade imo , i know some people will say who gives a f*** about regula hes a 3rd pairing dman but the fact is we have no idea if tuomisto,johansson etc.. will make it or not  

anyways it is what it is at this point fabbri looks good and perlini and even erne at this point dont look too good although erne can maybe be a bottom guy if we somehow can get rid of abdelkader/helm/nielsen

15 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Zadina played with Nielsen, and he still showed drive. He forechecked well. He played well without the puck. He put up a couple points. He generated scoring chances and earned a promotion to the second line. Perlini playing with the same players didn't do much of anything.

Whether you agree with it or not, this team is doing all it can to retain a culture of hard work plus results equals more ice time. Obviously that is not gonna work out for every single player, but that's the way she goes. 

All he has to do for the time being is beat out Adam ******* Erne for a third line spot and go from there. 

As for Fabbri with the Blues, he was coming off of major injuries. No doubt that also contributed to his slow start with them. I've read plenty from Blues fans at the time of the trade that he was starting to get his legs back and show flashes of his former self again. More evidence that you can show something, even on the fourth line. Problem in St. Louis was their depth. Even if he played well, he had a mountain to climb in terms of beating out other guys for ice time. 

Perlini has shown flashes with the puck, but his line rarely ever has the puck. He does forecheck hard for the most part. But that's about all he can do on a line that is literally the worst in the entire league. I brought up Zadina because fans would be pissed if he were given the same treatment as Perlini, not because I think the players are at all comparable. Like I said, Zadina is a MUCH better player than Perlini.

That's the thing though. He already has outplayed Adam f***ing Erne (among other players), but hasn't been rewarded for it.

I'm sure the injury *also* effected his play, but he *also* needed the minutes and linemates to start producing.

10 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

In the end, I just feel like if Perlini put the work in, he could find himself moving up the lineup. I just haven't seen that drive from him. And f*** giving it away if they don't work for it. 

That's my whole point though... Fabbri didn't "work" for s***. He was given top six minutes and quality linemates the moment he put on the Red Wings jersey. Why wasn't Perlini afforded the same opportunity? If he were put in that sort of situation, I don't doubt for a second that he would have produced as well. The skill is there.

7 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Whether  perlini plays top 6 next 5 games or not he wont be here much longer with zadina,rasmussen,veleno,lafraniere/byfield,svechnikov,berggren,mastrosimone etc... all coming for top minutes next 2 years , if he cant crack it now he’a got zero chance next year 

we won the fabbri trade and we lost this trade imo , i know some people will say who gives a f*** about regula hes a 3rd pairing dman but the fact is we have no idea if tuomisto,johansson etc.. will make it or not  

anyways it is what it is at this point fabbri looks good and perlini and even erne at this point dont look too good although erne can maybe be a bottom guy if we somehow can get rid of abdelkader/helm/Nielsen

I agree that Perlini likely doesn't have a future in Detroit. I'm not advocating giving him an opportunity because I think he's this unreal player. I'm advocating giving him an opportunity so we can find out what we have in him. Right now, we have no idea.

Give him some quality line mates for a dozen games, up his trade value, and maybe we can trade him at the deadline for a team looking for scoring depth. Playing him every game with the worst players on the team isn't doing anyone (player or team) any favors.