• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2021 Off-Season (Too Soon?)

Rate this topic

8 minutes ago, Gniwder said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/seven-contenders-land-blue-jackets-seth-jones-trade/

Mike Johnston suggests Red Wings one of the 7 teams in on Seth Jones. Suggests Larkin for Jones.

I would do Larkin for Jones straight up in a heart beat. If we need to add throw in picks we have plenty.

Except this team is closer to filling holes on D than it is filling holes down the middle. Trading Larkin for Jones makes no sense. 

14 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Except this team is closer to filling holes on D than it is filling holes down the middle. Trading Larkin for Jones makes no sense. 

What?

We have Rasmussen, Pearson, and Veleno coming up this year for a position with 4 spots

We have literally no one coming up on D this year besides Seider for a position with 6 spots, and our left side is basically vacant and devoid of any talent.

My only complaint about Jones is he isn't left handed

5 minutes ago, Gniwder said:

What?

We have Rasmussen, Pearson, and Veleno coming up this year for a position with 4 spots

We have literally no one coming up on D this year besides Seider for a position with 6 spots, and our left side is basically vacant and devoid of any talent.

My only complaint about Jones is he isn't left handed

Sure. Let's roll with Rasmussen, Veleno, or Pearson as our #1 C

Why would we trade from our biggest area of weakness (center), to add to our biggest area of strength (right-defense)?

Moritz is our future 1RD. Hronek is a more than capable 2RD. Stecher (or Lindstrom) is a more than capable 3RD. No need for Jones, who is two years older, the same age as Mantha, who was just traded away for Vrana, who is two year's younger because he better fit the rebuild...

Trading Larkin would leave a ginormous hole down the middle. Not to mention, Yzerman isn't trading his newly named captain.

Dylan Larkin IS a (top 25) 1C that could still be a very good (top 15) 1C. Michael Rasmussen isn't and never will be a 1C. Joe Veleno isn't and never will be a 1C. Chase Pearson? LOL

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

Why would we trade from our biggest area of weakness (center), to add to our biggest area of strength (right-defense)?

Moritz is our future 1RD. Hronek is a more than capable 2RD. Stecher (or Lindstrom) is a more than capable 3RD. No need for Jones, who is two years older, the same age as Mantha, who was just traded away for Vrana, who is two year's younger because he better fit the rebuild...

Trading Larkin would leave a ginormous hole down the middle. Not to mention, Yzerman isn't trading his newly named captain.

Dylan Larkin IS a (top 25) 1C that could still be a very good (top 15) 1C. Michael Rasmussen isn't and never will be a 1C. Joe Veleno isn't and never will be a 1C. Chase Pearson? LOL

Welcome to the board.

IclP6Wg.png

Yeah Larkin is a real top C. Up there with the big names like Eller, Wennberg, and Kempe.

Rasmussen and Veleno are going to make him expendable real quick, and Pearson is probably our most underrated prospect. Real good two way center.

11 minutes ago, Gniwder said:

Welcome to the board.

IclP6Wg.png

Yeah Larkin is a real top C. Up there with the big names like Eller, Wennberg, and Kempe.

Rasmussen and Veleno are going to make him expendable real quick, and Pearson is probably our most underrated prospect. Real good two way center.

Based on last season, no he was not a 1C. Based on previous season's, yes he was a 1C. I suppose you think he peaked at the age of 22?

On a good team Larkin is a 65-75 points, two-way 1C.

I'll bet anything that none of Rasmussen, Veleno or Pearson dethrone Larkin as the 1C. The only way Larkin gets demoted before he ages out, is if we luck out and get a Wright or Bedard over the next couple drafts, and even then, Larkin would remain our 1C for the next 5 years.

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Based on last season, no he was not a 1C. Based on previous season's, yes he was a 1C. I suppose you think he peaked at the age of 22?

On a good team Larkin is a 65-75 points, two-way 1C.

I'll bet anything that none of Rasmussen, Veleno or Pearson dethrone Larkin as the 1C. The only way Larkin gets demoted before he ages out, is if we luck out and get a Wright or Bedard over the next couple drafts, and even then, Larkin would remain our 1C for the next 5 years.

Larkin has been a 45-55 pt center over the last two seasons. His linemates score and he doesn't it.

Keep telling yourself he's a 1C despite the glaring evidence. We watched you do it with B. Smith, and I'm inclined to allow you to do it again.

Edited by Gniwder

C 6/4
Rasmussen
Namestnikov
Fabbri
Glendening
Pearson
Veleno

D 5/6 (one going to Seattle)
Seider
Hronek
Lindstrom
Stecher
Cholowski
Dekeyser

Help I don't know how to allocate roster positions or what this means

Just now, krsmith17 said:

Larkin's point pace the past 4 seasons...

2017-18 - 63
2018-19 - 79
2019-20 - 61
2020-21 - 43

Last season was very obviously a down year and an outlier. He will bounce back strong this season. Mark it.

2019-20: Krsmith: "This season was very obviously a down year and an outlier. He will bounce back strong this season. Mark it."
2020-21: Krsmith: "This season was very obviously a down year and an outlier. He will bounce back strong this season. Mark it."

Pretty consistent and rapid decline for him. Your "down year" excuse doesn't work when it's happening in back to back seasons.

1 minute ago, Gniwder said:

2019-20: Krsmith: "This season was very obviously a down year and an outlier. He will bounce back strong this season. Mark it."
2020-21: Krsmith: "This season was very obviously a down year and an outlier. He will bounce back strong this season. Mark it."

Pretty consistent and rapid decline for him. Your "down year" excuse doesn't work when it's happening in back to back seasons.

Well considering I see him as a 65-75 point, two-way center at his peak (which he hasn't reached yet), I don't think I'd really consider 61 points at the age of 23 much of a "down year"...

I'm sure you're right though, "rapid decline". He will most likely finish with a 20-25 point pace this season, after he gets demoted to 3rd line being passed by Rasmussen (1C) and Pearson (2C)... 

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Well considering I see him as a 65-75 point, two-way center at his peak (which he hasn't reached yet), I don't think I'd really consider 61 points at the age of 23 much of a "down year"...

I'm sure you're right though, "rapid decline". He will most likely finish with a 20-25 point pace this season, after he gets demoted to 3rd line being passed by Rasmussen (1C) and Pearson (2C)... 

He's 25 and has 6 full seasons in the NHL. You're witnessing his peak.

"Brendan Smith is only 27, he hasn't peaked yet, I see him as pucking moving top pairing Dman."

We've heard it all before

2 minutes ago, Gniwder said:

He's 25 and has 6 full seasons in the NHL. You're witnessing his peak.

"Brendan Smith is only 27, he hasn't peaked yet, I see him as pucking moving top pairing Dman."

We've heard it all before

Every. Single. Time. Without fail. number9 / CRL / Grinder gets backed into a corner and out comes the Brendan Smith BS...

Comparing Brendan Smith to the Red Wings best player and captain is cute though.

Yzerman is going to rip the C off Larkin and give it to Seider though, and Blashill is going to demote Larkin in favor of Pearson though. Can't wait...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Every. Single. Time. Without fail. number9 / CRL / Grinder gets backed into a corner and out comes the Brendan Smith BS...

Comparing Brendan Smith to the Red Wings best player and captain is cute though.

Yzerman is going to rip the C off Larkin and give it to Seider though, and Blashill is going to demote Larkin in favor of Pearson though. Can't wait...

It's sorta hard not to when you're recycling the same old excuses you used for Smith all over again on Larkin. No one's buying your crap this go around... not that anyone really bought it with Smith though either lmao.

Seider is going to make folks forget Larkin even exists. He'll be the best player on the team by far and the clear leader in the lockerroom. It's painfully obvious. Yet you can't seem to see it when it's an inch from your face. No worries. All in good time my friend.

22 hours ago, Gniwder said:

Mikko Lehtonen.

27 year old, 6'0" 200lb LHD. Top KHL Dman for two years in a row prior to this covid season. Lured to the NHL this year by the Leafs, then traded to CBJ. Leafs no longer needed him once Dermott emerged and Lehtonen wanted to play somewhere. Keefe also complained he wasn't assertive enough away from the puck.

Fast and a gifted puck mover.

The type of stealth pickup that could be really great and inexpensive for our left side and powerplay. After this first year of adjustment to NA ice I can see him doing much better in a more normal year next year. 6 pts in 26 games so far. Was PPG in the KHL.

Asked around the CBJ boards about Lehtonen. Seems well liked and they want Jarmo to bring him back next year. Decent defender, strong moving the puck. Good third pairing guy with potential to become a 2nd pairing PP QB very soon.

I'd like to lure this guy up to Detroit if we can.

Zach Hyman turned down $5 mil from the Leafs. Always liked him and would be happy to scoop him up. $5 mil is steep though...

2 hours ago, Gniwder said:

It's sorta hard not to when you're recycling the same old excuses you used for Smith all over again on Larkin. No one's buying your crap this go around... not that anyone really bought it with Smith though either lmao.

Seider is going to make folks forget Larkin even exists. He'll be the best player on the team by far and the clear leader in the lockerroom. It's painfully obvious. Yet you can't seem to see it when it's an inch from your face. No worries. All in good time my friend.

You and like two other people agree that Larkin sucks. Everyone else thinks Larkin is a low end 1C, or at worst a high end 2C. But yeah, don't "buy my crap"...

Why would folks forget about their number one center and captain just because we add a number one defenseman? That makes no sense. Did folks forget about Yzerman when we added Lidstrom back in '91?

What exactly can't I see that's an inch from my face? Enlighten me...

6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

You and like two other people agree that Larkin sucks. Everyone else thinks Larkin is a low end 1C, or at worst a high end 2C. But yeah, don't "buy my crap"...

Well Larkin isn't a completely useless player like Smith was lol. So you're on slightly better ground here. I'm sure there's plenty of folks still holding on to hope that Larkin will somehow magically become a 1C caliber playmaking center 7 seasons into the league. But it's not gonna happen. We've seen plenty of him and he's had plenty of time to develop his game. That's simply not the player he is. He's a Philip Danault style 2C. And on the contrary, I think most folks have come to realize that already.

15 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Why would folks forget about their number one center and captain just because we add a number one defenseman? That makes no sense. Did folks forget about Yzerman when we added Lidstrom back in '91?

Well Yzerman was actually a legitimate 1C and deserving captain lol

Larkin is going to sink into the proverbial shadows both in the lockerroom and with fans as soon as Seider's charisma and play takes over this team.

17 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

What exactly can't I see that's an inch from my face? Enlighten me...

The age of Dylan is over. Mo is your captain now in all but name.

If Yzerman was going to trade Larkin, he would not have named him Captain. Zetterberg's contract wasn't over until this summer. There was no need to name a Captain unless Yzerman was sure he named the right guy. If he wasn't sure, he would've just kept A's like before until Z's contract officially expired this summer.

27 minutes ago, Gniwder said:

Well Larkin isn't a completely useless player like Smith was lol. So you're on slightly better ground here. I'm sure there's plenty of folks still holding on to hope that Larkin will somehow magically become a 1C caliber playmaking center 7 seasons into the league. But it's not gonna happen. We've seen plenty of him and he's had plenty of time to develop his game. That's simply not the player he is. He's a Philip Danault style 2C. And on the contrary, I think most folks have come to realize that already.

Larkin is going to sink into the proverbial shadows both in the lockerroom and with fans as soon as Seider's charisma and play takes over this team.

I hate to say this, but Yzerman stopped being a #1 Center when Fedorov took over during the 1993-94 season. Still, there was no change in leadership.

Trade Bertuzzi, a 1st and Svechnikov for Jones. As long as it's a sign and trade locking Jones up for the next 9 (1 left, then 8 more) years. Can't risk Jones bolting after next season.

7 hours ago, Gniwder said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/seven-contenders-land-blue-jackets-seth-jones-trade/

Mike Johnston suggests Red Wings one of the 7 teams in on Seth Jones. Suggests Larkin for Jones.

I would do Larkin for Jones straight up in a heart beat. If we need to add throw in picks we have plenty.

Value wise, I think it's a no-brainer if its a 1 for 1 trade, as Jones would be the better player. But Jones is another RHD and we already have that slot filled on all 3 D pairs.

5 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

If Yzerman was going to trade Larkin, he would not have named him Captain. Zetterberg's contract wasn't over until this summer. There was no need to name a Captain unless Yzerman was sure he named the right guy. If he wasn't sure, he would've just kept A's like before until Z's contract officially expired this summer.

I hate to say this, but Yzerman stopped being a #1 Center when Fedorov took over during the 1993-94 season. Still, there was no change in leadership.

Okay but Yzerman had already been captain for 7-8 seasons at that point, and would have been THE 1C on any other team in the league that didn't have Fedorov or Lemieux or something.

Plus Yzerman and Feds had pretty much identical ice time for their entire time together. Saying Yzerman isn't a 1C because Feds was also there is like saying Zberg wasn't cause Dats was there or vice versa.

2 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Value wise, I think it's a no-brainer if its a 1 for 1 trade, as Jones would be the better player. But Jones is another RHD and we already have that slot filled on all 3 D pairs.

And then you flip Hronek for a center.

Seider/Jones > Seider/Hronek

5 hours ago, Gniwder said:

Welcome to the board.

IclP6Wg.png

This was his first season as a full time center that he didn't finish in the top 30 among centers, I believe. I don't think its fair to remove him from 1C status based on just 1 year.

8 minutes ago, Gniwder said:

Okay but Yzerman had already been captain for 7-8 seasons at that point, and would have been THE 1C on any other team in the league that didn't have Fedorov or Lemieux or something.

Plus Yzerman and Feds had pretty much identical ice time for their entire time together. Saying Yzerman isn't a 1C because Feds was also there is like saying Zberg wasn't cause Dats was there or vice versa.

And then you flip Hronek for a center.

Seider/Jones > Seider/Hronek

The center you would get back would be less than Larkin. You're improving a position of strength while depleting a position of weakness.

54 minutes ago, Gniwder said:

You know who else "hopes" (sees) this in Larkin? Yzerman. Larkin will remain THIS team's 1C for the foreseeable future.