• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2021 Off-Season (Too Soon?)

Rate this topic

40 minutes ago, Gniwder said:

Options for the LHD we need:

• Jake McCabe - 28 years old - 6'1" 205lbs - 0.218 scoring rate - BUF 3rd pair and PK
  • Slater Koekkoek - 27 years old - 6'2" 193lbs - 0.179 scoring rate - EDM 7th Dman - Drafted by Yzerman
  • Jamie Oleksiak - 28 years old - 6'7" 225lbs - 0.195 scoring rate - DAL 2nd pair and PK
  • Mike Reilly - 28 years old - 6'1" 200lbs - 0.308 scoring rate - BOS 1st pair and PP and PK
  • Ben Hutton - 28 years old - 6'2" 206lbs - 0.240 scoring rate - ANA 3rd pair and PK
  • Nikita Nesterov - 28 years old - 5'11" 191lbs - 0.218 scoring rate - CGY 3rd pair and PK - Drafted by Yzerman
  • Patrik Nemeth - 29 years old - 6'3" 228lbs - 0.158 scoring rate - COL 3rd pair and PK - Former Red Wing
  • Erik Gustafsson - 29 years old - 6'0" 197lbs - 0.524 scoring rate - PHI 7th Dman and PP
  • Jordan Oesterle - 29 years old - 6'0" 185lbs - 0.258 scoring rate - ARI 3rd pair and PP and PK - Michigan Native
  • Derek Forbort - 29 years old - 6'4" 220lbs - 0.196 scoring rate - WPG 2nd pair and PK
  • Jon Merrill - 29 years old - 6'3" 195lbs - 0.163 scoring rate - MTL 7th Dman - Former Red Wing and Michigan Native
  • Dimitry Kulikov - 31 years old - 6'1" 204lbs - 0.240 scoring rate - NJD 3rd pair and PK
  • Michael Del Zotto - 31 years old - 6'0" 195lbs - 0.351 scoring rate - CBJ 3rd pair
  • Brendan Smith - 32 years old - 6'2" 200lbs - 0.209 scoring rate - NYR 3rd pair - Former Red Wing
  • Ian Cole - 32 years old - 6'1" 225lbs - 0.245 scoring rate - MIN 3rd pair - Michigan Native
  • Thomas Hickey - 32 years old - 6'2" 186 - 0.258 scoring rate - NYI 3rd pair
  • Marc Staal - 34 years old - 6'4" 210lbs - 0.209 scoring rate - DET 2nd pair and PK - Former Red Wing
  • Niklas Hjalmarsson - 34 years old - 6'3" 200lbs - 0.209 scoring rate - ARI 7th Dman and PK
  • Alec Martinez - 34 years old - 6'1" 210lbs - 0.360 scoring rate - 2nd pair and PP and PK - Michigan Native

*Bold = positive
*Red = negative
*Blue = special note
*Not included = AHL Dmen and Dmen 35 or older

I think there are three tiers here:

Tier 1
Alec Martinez
Derek Forbort
Mike Reilly
Jamie Oleksiak

Tier 2
Jake McCabe
Marc Staal
Ben Hutton
Nikita Nesterov
Jordan Oesterle
Dimitry Kulikov
Michael Del Zotto
Brendan Smith
Ian Cole
Thomas Hickey

Tier 3
Slater Koekkoek
Patrik Nemeth
Erik Gustafsson
Jon Merrill
Niklas Hjalmarsson

I think the only top tier Dman we may be able to snag is Derek Forbort. Former #15 overall pick, but he kinda flies under the radar in the league. Solid defensive LH Dman. We could impress him with salary and play time. I doubt we have a realistic shot at the other 3. 

In tier 2 we have Staal, Oesterle, and Cole I could see us shaking a stick at because of connections to Michigan. Yzerman also knows Nesterov and Smith well. Was rumored Holland was interested in Hickey back in the day.

Probably avoid tier 3. But any of those could be solid pick ups for depth 7th dmen.

I like Martinez and Reilly as options to pair with Seider. I would settle for Oleksiak. Not really interested in anyone else on that list.

19 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I like Martinez and Reilly as options to pair with Seider. I would settle for Oleksiak. Not really interested in anyone else on that list.

Prepare to be disappointed. The tier 1s will be re-signed or gobbled up by contenders. We will be lucky to sign cole or oesterle honestly. Super weak D pool this year. Staal is definately getting re-signed.

Dekeyser - Hronek

Staal - Seider

Cholowski/Lindstrom - Stecher

Koekkoek

2 hours ago, Gniwder said:

Prepare to be disappointed. The tier 1s will be re-signed or gobbled up by contenders. We will be lucky to sign cole or oesterle honestly. Super weak D pool this year. Staal is definately getting re-signed.

Dekeyser - Hronek

Staal - Seider

Cholowski/Lindstrom - Stecher

Koekkoek

I wouldn't be surprise to see Martinez sign in Detroit at all. Michigan bro that's not chasing that elusive cup. . And Yzerdog can outspend anyone really. 

9 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I wouldn't be surprise to see Martinez sign in Detroit at all. Michigan bro that's not chasing that elusive cup. . And Yzerdog can outspend anyone really. 

Within reason. Yzerdawg is not gonna get in a bidding war over a 34 year old martinez.

The big prize is Reilly but Bruins will prolly keep him.

Oesterle and or Cole would be a good offseason D build for us. 

45 minutes ago, Gniwder said:

Within reason. Yzerdawg is not gonna get in a bidding war over a 34 year old martinez.

The big prize is Reilly but Bruins will prolly keep him.

Oesterle and or Cole would be a good offseason D build for us. 

We'll see. As this team improves, I expect upgrades over Stall, Merrill. and Stetcher. With all scooby doo respect to those guys. 

6 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

We'll see. As this team improves, I expect upgrades over Stall, Merrill. and Stetcher. With all scooby doo respect to those guys. 

Just tough with the age on Martinez. He had a great year this year but hes 34 now... Edler woulda been a great option for us. He was a 40 pt Dmen at 34 just like Martinez. But now he's 35 and he's dropped off to 15 pts... This is probably Martinez's last contract and payday and not a contract we will ever be able to move. I think I rather invest in a prime aged player like McCabe or Oesterle that we can sell in a few years if needed. Yzerman's done a good job of finding these sellable assets like this like Nemeth, Merrill, Ryan, Namestnikov so far. Helps the rebuild. Though we could go the complete opposite way... sign guys Hjalmarsson and Edler for cheap and hope we can squeeze one last good season out of them...

The prime guys like Reilly, Forbort, and Oleksiak I see us having a hard time competing for. 

4 hours ago, Gniwder said:

Just tough with the age on Martinez. He had a great year this year but hes 34 now... Edler woulda been a great option for us. He was a 40 pt Dmen at 34 just like Martinez. But now he's 35 and he's dropped off to 15 pts... This is probably Martinez's last contract and payday and not a contract we will ever be able to move. I think I rather invest in a prime aged player like McCabe or Oesterle that we can sell in a few years if needed. Yzerman's done a good job of finding these sellable assets like this like Nemeth, Merrill, Ryan, Namestnikov so far. Helps the rebuild. Though we could go the complete opposite way... sign guys Hjalmarsson and Edler for cheap and hope we can squeeze one last good season out of them...

The prime guys like Reilly, Forbort, and Oleksiak I see us having a hard time competing for. 

I been pushing to overpay edler for him to come here(he wont come here for cheap) and hope he can have a bounce back season and actually have trade value at the deadline. If he can return back to 40ish pts level and play solid and contribute he would fetch us a high return at the deadline 

its worth the gamble rather than getting a merril type and fetching a 5th .... if not edler overpay goligoski ,either one of those 2 x 1 year would be my target

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

6 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I been pushing to overpay edler for him to come here(he wont come here for cheap) and hope he can have a bounce back season and actually have trade value at the deadline. If he can return back to 40ish pts level and play solid and contribute he would fetch us a high return at the deadline 

its worth the gamble rather than getting a merril type and fetching a 5th .... if not edler overpay goligoski ,either one of those 2 x 1 year would be my target

Edler is a big gamble. He very much dropped off this season. A 3rd pair pk guy. Signing him or Goligoski is a prepare to be disappointed situation. Both on the wrong side of 35. Expecting him to get back to 40 pts at his age is a pipe dream. Deals for these kinda vets would need to be very cheap and small. 

Edited by Gniwder

6 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I dont think Edler gets you anymore in a trade than Merrill at this point.

On 5/21/2021 at 6:14 PM, Gniwder said:

Edler is a big gamble. He very much dropped off this season. A 3rd pair pk guy. Signing him or Goligoski is a prepare to be disappointed situation. Both on the wrong side of 35. Expecting him to get back to 40 pts at his age is a pipe dream. Deals for these kinda vets would need to be very cheap and small. 

He had a bad  season offensively but he always consistent in prior seasons and canucks had some injuries and they also added schmidt and hamonic on the back end so maybe that made his numbers drop? He’s playing 20+ mins a night so i think hes far from done and all we need is one good season to get a good return . Defensemen are always a big target at the trade deadline

very small deal yes but there’s a 0% chance edler signs here cheap , why wouldnt he go to a cup contender if hes gonna sign cheap

Goligoslki is stll putting up decent numbers and playing 20+ minutes a night, he’d have nice trade value at the deadline as well . Again as long as its a one year deal id be willing to pay a bit more so we’d have decent trade bait later on . They’d definitely be my targets 

On 5/21/2021 at 6:39 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I dont think Edler gets you anymore in a trade than Merrill at this point.

Ya i dont think edler is finished , prior to this season he put up 33,34,34 pts and he plays 20+ minutes a night

id much rather have him on a pairing with seider mentoring him than staal

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

My offseason at this point:

1. Buyout Frans Nielsen
2. Re-sign all RFA's (Brome and Djoos are already gone)
3. Re-sign: Glendening, Gagner, Staal, Bernier, Ryan, Hirose, McIlrath, Pickard, Biega
4. Sign UFA's: Eric Staal, Jordan Oesterle
5. Release: Helm, Filppula, Turgeon, Elson, Criscuolo, Hicketts, Boyle

Vrana - Larkin - Bertuzzi
Fabbri - Rasmussen - Zadina
Erne - Namestnikov - Ryan
Panik - Staal - Glendening
Svechnikov/Gagner

Staal - Seider
Dekeyser - Hronek
Oesterle - Stecher
Biega

Bernier
Greiss

Smith - Barber - Raymond
Hirose - Veleno - Berggren
Loggins - Pearson - Shine
Curry - Verbeek - MacLeod
Spezia

Cholowski - Lindstrom
McIsaac - McIlrath
Sebrango - Barton
Viro/Johansson

Pickard
Fulcher/Brattstrom/Larsson

*Wings contracts on the Griffs bolded

That's 43/50 contracts (Seattle expansion not included)

24 minutes ago, Gniwder said:

My offseason at this point:

1. Buyout Frans Nielsen
2. Re-sign all RFA's (Brome and Djoos are already gone)
3. Re-sign: Glendening, Gagner, Staal, Bernier, Ryan, Hirose, McIlrath, Pickard, Biega
4. Sign UFA's: Eric Staal, Jordan Oesterle
5. Release: Helm, Filppula, Turgeon, Elson, Criscuolo, Hicketts, Boyle

Erne - Namestnikov - Ryan
Panik - Staal - Glendening
Svechnikov/Gagner

Staal - Seider
Dekeyser - Hronek
Oesterle - Stecher
Biega

Bernier
Greiss

Smith - Barber - Raymond
Hirose - Veleno - Berggren
Loggins - Pearson - Shine
Curry - Verbeek - MacLeod
Spezia

Cholowski - Lindstrom
McIsaac - McIlrath
Sebrango - Barton
Viro/Johansson

Pickard
Fulcher/Brattstrom/Larsson

*Wings contracts on the Griffs bolded

That's 43/50 contracts (Seattle expansion not included)

Too many F in GR. Smith should be on the Wings roster over Gagner.

No way Cholowski isnt on the Wings roster.

Did you factor in waiver exemptions or lack thereof?

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Too many F in GR. Smith should be on the Wings roster over Gagner.

No way Cholowski isnt on the Wings roster.

Did you factor in waiver exemptions or lack thereof?

Cholo, Smith, Lindstrom... all waiver exempt right now. Not sure if that extends to next season. Smith is officially on the GR roster right now.

Remember that one of Cholo, Lindstrom, Svech are off to Seattle. Which clears another spot. Regardless injuries will tear through our butthole again and all three would likely be on the roster relatively quickly. Maybe don't re-sign Biega and Gagner? Or just assign them to GR or sign more GR depth players.

New contracts:

• Jakub Vrana: $4-5 million x 3 years
  • Luke Glendening: $1.7-2 million x 2 years
  • Adam Erne: $1.7-2 million x 2 years
  • Michael Rasmussen: $2 million x 2 years
  • Svechnikov: Qualifying offer
  • Marc Staal: $2-3 million x 1 year
  • Dennis Cholowski: $1.5-2 million x 2 years
  • Gustav Lindstrom: Qualifying offer
  • Filip Hronek: $3.5-4.5 million x 3 years
  • Jonathan Bernier: 3.6 million x 2 years
  • Tyler Bertuzzi: $4-5 million x 3 years
  • Chase Pearson: Qualifying offer
  • Givani Smith: $1-1.5 million x 2 years

On 5/25/2021 at 8:01 PM, Gniwder said:

Cholo, Smith, Lindstrom... all waiver exempt right now. Not sure if that extends to next season. Smith is officially on the GR roster right now.

Remember that one of Cholo, Lindstrom, Svech are off to Seattle. Which clears another spot. Regardless injuries will tear through our butthole again and all three would likely be on the roster relatively quickly. Maybe don't re-sign Biega and Gagner? Or just assign them to GR or sign more GR depth players.

Cholo, Smith and Lindstrom are no longer waiver exempt next season, Once their ELCs are gone and they sign their RFA contracts they're no longer exempt. So they've to be on the roster or waived. And there's zero chance of any of those guys clearing.

14 hours ago, Gniwder said:

New contracts:

• Jakub Vrana: $4-5 million x 3 years
  • Luke Glendening: $1.7-2 million x 2 years
  • Adam Erne: $1.7-2 million x 2 years
  • Michael Rasmussen: $2 million x 2 years
  • Svechnikov: Qualifying offer
  • Marc Staal: $2-3 million x 1 year
  • Dennis Cholowski: $1.5-2 million x 2 years
  • Gustav Lindstrom: Qualifying offer
  • Filip Hronek: $3.5-4.5 million x 3 years
  • Jonathan Bernier: 3.6 million x 2 years
  • Tyler Bertuzzi: $4-5 million x 3 years
  • Chase Pearson: Qualifying offer
  • Givani Smith: $1-1.5 million x 2 years

Vrana will get the Mantha deal, 4 x $5,700,000. The rest look about right.

40 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Cholo, Lindstrom, or Smith will not be in GR next season. One of them will go to Seattle though. I also think Veleno is done with GR.

What about Svech? Will Steve protect him over Smith? I do agree with the two D. I see Hronek, Stecher and one of those two as the protects. I read the Kahn!!! article on mLive about our RFA's, he has BOTH Cholowski and Lindstrom being protected. I am assuming since Hronek is a no-brainer, he feels Stecher will be left unprotected. I don't see that happening...unless Yzerman pulls out a trade with Seattle to keep all four.

anyhow, here is what I'd like to see:

re-sign all RFA's except the two leaving of course (Djoos and Brome)

re-sign Glenny, Staal, Ryan and Bernier (possibly Gagner) but all other UFA go bye-bye. Hirose may want to test the market given he doesn't seem like he is part of the re-build. He is a UFA G6, he and Hicketts and Turgeon all fall into this category. I think they may all test the market before re-signing to be in GR.

draft (highest odds are we drop to 7th) Luke Hughes (if there) and Cossa (with Washington pick)

Buyout Nielsen (and possibly DD)

Explore LHD options in UFA for upgrade to that side especially if DD is bought out and to protect that side if Cholowski can't make it.

18 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

What about Svech? Will Steve protect him over Smith? I do agree with the two D. I see Hronek, Stecher and one of those two as the protects. I read the Kahn!!! article on mLive about our RFA's, he has BOTH Cholowski and Lindstrom being protected. I am assuming since Hronek is a no-brainer, he feels Stecher will be left unprotected. I don't see that happening...unless Yzerman pulls out a trade with Seattle to keep all four.

re-sign Glenny, Staal, Ryan and Bernier (possibly Gagner) but all other UFA go bye-bye. Hirose may want to test the market given he doesn't seem like he is part of the re-build. He is a UFA G6, he and Hicketts and Turgeon all fall into this category. I think they may all test the market before re-signing to be in GR.

draft (highest odds are we drop to 7th) Luke Hughes (if there) and Cossa (with Washington pick)

Explore LHD options in UFA for upgrade to that side especially if DD is bought out and to protect that side if Cholowski can't make it.

Honestly, I let Stecher go, and I think this is probably who Seattle takes from us. He was a good addition, but he's a 27 year old undersized Dman who's probably never gonna score much more than 20 pts a season. This is a 3rd pairing filler on most teams. I'd much rather gamble on a young Cholowski and Lindstrom. Having Seider and Hronek in the lineup means we don't need Stecher anymore and Lindstrom can play a sheltered 3rd pairing role permanently. Biega and/or McIlrath can be backups for that role. Plus I guess Lindstrom has to pass through waivers next season. I really think Stech is the odd man out there.

Glendog is a Wings lifer and fanboy, he'll absolutely be back (Love you glendog).

Staal more than anything seemed excited to package himself with his brother Eric in free agency during the media availability. I'd be absolutely okay with taking both on in short contracts. The Staal bros would be THE vets in our lockerroom at that point to guide the kids. I like this. However, if Yzerman has no plans for Eric we might have to see Marc go.

I don't see Bobby Ryan being back. I think he did enough in his short stint here to show other teams he still has some skill and usefullness and put himself back on the league radar. I think he'll sign a deal with a team more ready to contend. Mission accomplished for him.

I'm a bit worried about Bernier. He's really come into his own with us and there will be some teams (like Holland's Oilers) who will really be after a goalie like him. The goalie market isn't exactly thrilling this year and Bernier could get himself a good contract on a better team.

Gagner is a warm body on a great cap hit. If he wants a similar caphit keep him. Otherwise just clear the roster spot for a kid.

Namestnikov - E. Staal - Erne
Smith - Glendening - Panik
Svechnikov/Veleno

M. Staal - Seider
Dekeyser - Hronek
Oesterle - Lindstrom
Cholowski

Greiss
Bernier

33 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Svech will be exposed I think, and he won't be taken. I just don't see any value there with him. He doesn't score enough to be a useful scorer, and he doesn't offer anything else. Time for people to realize he is a bust and won't be a part of the team's future. At best I think he gets qualified and waived for GR. Won't be shocked if Yzerman just lets him walk along with Brome and Djoos. 

Dekeyser will get to finish out his contract. 

I think Yzerman protects Hronek, Cholo and Stecher. Though I'd protect Hronek, Cholo and Lindstrom without hesitation. Let Seattle take Stecher. I'd rather keep Cholo, Lindstrom, and Smith.

I'd like to see disney.com, Bernie, and Staal re-signed. Then either go after brother Eric or keep Gagner. 

I'm gonna predict that Raymond makes the roster. If he can be good enough to produce in the preseason, I think he earns a shot after the offense starved season we just had. 

8 hours ago, diehardredwingsfan58 said:

Cholo, Smith and Lindstrom are no longer waiver exempt next season, Once their ELCs are gone and they sign their RFA contracts they're no longer exempt. So they've to be on the roster or waived. And there's zero chance of any of those guys clearing.

Vrana will get the Mantha deal, 4 x $5,700,000. The rest look about right.

IDK, everyone said the same thing about Svechnikov, and he cleared twice I think last season... and one of the times I think he had 5 pts in 10 games.

I think Lindstrom would clear. IDK about Smith and Cholo. Toss up. Smith might be the most dangerous one to waiver.

1 minute ago, Gniwder said:

Staal more than anything seemed excited to package himself with his brother Eric in free agency during the media availability. I'd be absolutely okay with taking both on in short contracts. The Staal bros would be THE vets in our lockerroom at that point to guide the kids. I like this. However, if Yzerman has no plans for Eric we might have to see Marc go

I'm a bit worried about Bernier. He's really come into his own with us and there will be some teams (like Holland's Oilers) who will really be after a goalie like him. The goalie market isn't exactly thrilling this year and Bernier could get himself a good contract on a better team.

Also do not forget the grin Staal made when he was asked about playing with Seider. It was clear right there Yzerman had that discussion with him about what he saw as a role for him next season. For that reason alone I say make an offer to Eric instead of Gagner, as we don't need both. 

I'm not worried about Bernie at all. That dude straight up wants to be here. He didn't give the usual polite run of the mill answers players give when asked if they might stay. Dude straight up gave reasoning of why he wants to stick around. His family loves it there, and the whole thing where he has regrets leaving Toronto and not seeing their rebuild through and not wanting to make that mistake again. Dude seems loyal. 

Just now, marcaractac said:

Also do not forget the grin Staal made when he was asked about playing with Seider. It was clear right there Yzerman had that discussion with him about what he saw as a role for him next season. For that reason alone I say make an offer to Eric instead of Gagner, as we don't need both. 

I'm not worried about Bernie at all. That dude straight up wants to be here. He didn't give the usual polite run of the mill answers players give when asked if they might stay. Dude straight up gave reasoning of why he wants to stick around. His family loves it there, and the whole thing where he has regrets leaving Toronto and not seeing their rebuild through and not wanting to make that mistake again. Dude seems loyal. 

Taking a look at the goalie market - it's not as bad as I thought off the cuff.

• Ullmark
  • Bernier
  • Dreidger
  • Grubauer
  • Mrazek
  • Andersen
  • Rask
  • Reimer
  • Rittich
  • Brossoit
  • Raanta

So Bern prolly stays put. But even if he didn't we might have some options.

Red Wings

Vrana - Larkin - Zadina
Bertuzzi - Veleno - Fabbri
Namestnikov - Rasmussen - Gagner
Smith - Glendening - Erne
Panik - Nielsen

Oleksiak - Seider
Cholowski - Hronek
DeKeyser - Stecher
Lindstrom

Bernier
Greiss