• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jaolla

Rumor: Steve Thomas signs with Wings

Rate this topic

Who? Chelios, Shanahan, Thomas?

Well, although Shanny and Chelios are not the same players as they used to be, they at least contribute.

Steve Thomas had 22 points in 44 games last season and is a solid forechecker, but honestly, how many 40-year olds does this team need? I would, however, not be upset if Stumpy was merely a tryout in training camp. You can kinda' forget about a two-way contract, though, veterans like him do not get demoted to the AHL, they retire before that happens.

That would suggest that Thomas si not coming back...and the fact that anyone would think so is silly.

I'm not sure if it would be that silly of us to think, or very disrespectful on Kenny Hollands part to lead Stumpy to believe he has a chance to make the team.

I just confirmed that Stumpy did receive the invite.

Why would Holland invite him?

Guest youssp9

I"ll be kinda happy if Steve Thomas signs with the wings. He would obviously take the league minimum and I dont care if he is 42 years old, it will be only for 1 year. And he is a RW and we need RWs.

If Stumpy said this morning on the FAN that he had a contract offer from another team, not a training camp invite.

Maybe he does, but it's not Detroit.

My guess is he was puting pressure on Toronto to invite him to camp. It worked!!

What's up with all the negativity around Stumpy. He's a good player. I think it's pretty obvious management wasn't going to go for a youth movement this year. Having a guy who could score around 15 goals for about minimum salary is better than putting in some kid who isn't ready and can't contribute.

I agree. When stumpy isn't injured he's pretty damn decent. For his age he still has lots of grit/meaness in him..he'll even drop the gloves if need be. He'd be good for our 4th line. I'd welcome him back.

Guest Rory_Gilmore

riight because the Wings don't have any shot what so ever at the cup this year? no one knows who or what is going to happen in this new nhl.

Oh you.

user posted image

lol.

As long as he signs for the league mininum, Im fine with it. He can make a good depth player and brings leadership (like we need more anyway).

Interesting.....

If this were any other 42-year old, maybe excluding Igor Larionov, I'd have a fit. I hope Thomas isn't a first option right now but I'd take him over a whole lot of other seasoned performers and playoff veterans.

Just use him in a limited role on a 3rd or 4th line.

I always liked Thomas, but I just can't see a place for him now, even at the league minimum.

If he's invited to camp, great, see what he has left. then go into the season, see what the "new" NHL is all about and if we still have a need and he's a known quantity than give it a shot.

But before camp even starts, concerning him, all bets are off. Take a wait and see approach before offering a contract.

I like this signing. If it is true that is. Here are the facts. Stumpy is a solid two way player and has been his whole career. He has loads of experience and plays the wing which we need in a bad kind of way. And he is willing to play for minimum wage which we also need badly. A good choice all around as long as he can stay healthy. And for all of you who say we'd rather have Grigorenko or some other young player I'd say this. Who do you think is going to replace Stumpy if he gets injured? Not Grigorenko for certain but definately some one from the Griff's where we have some very solid prospects in the making, where their salaries dont count against our cap. A better find for a 4th line wing at 450,000 would be hard to find. Expecially come playoff time where experience really matters.