• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

Detroit Pistons Season Thread

Rate this topic

You many be right Aussie that Darko is going to be a great player...I agree with you too, but the thing is that Darko no matter how good he is will never get a chance to prove himself in Detroit. He can't get good minutes with Sheed/Ben/Dice in the line up.

As for the posts' above about the starters playing to much....I have to agree with that. I wonder if this is the reason for many of Flips first round playoff exits? It makes sense, if you play your starters to much in the regular season, they are bound to hit the wall in the playoffs. I'm kind of worried, by the time we meet the Heat that they will be to deep and out work us

As for the posts' above about the starters playing to much....I have to agree with that.

they're not playing any more minutes than they did last year...it's practically the same. but if you want to be nitpicky... in fact, hamilton is playing less...billups is playing less...ben is playing less. only tay and sheed are playing more minutes than last year...and only barely.

trading darko makes too much sense...we need to free up cap room for ben. so get rid of darko and arroyo...the two most expendable players that would actually give us some cap relief. and then we'll get another 1st round pick back...with which we can get another player with the potential to be a star. you lose NOTHING. you get to keep ben...and you get to replace one lottery pick (darko) with hopefully another lottery pick next year or the year after. and who cares about arroyo or cato.

think of the alternative...we'd have to keep darko and arroyo...and potentially lose ben. is that what you want?

Well these rumours are really beginning to gather momentum. This is how I understand the deal; please correct me if I'm wrong.

We're giving up Arroyo and Milicic, and in return we get Cato and a first round draft pick, probably somewhere around 5-8. We will then most likely dump Cato and his contract which is about $8-8.5 million. Detroit will then spend this money on a back up point guard. Hunter doesn't cut it as Billups' reserve, and I think Dumars already has eyes on Arroyo's replacement.

Correct?

Well these rumours are really beginning to gather momentum. This is how I understand the deal; please correct me if I'm wrong.

We're giving up Arroyo and Milicic, and in return we get Cato and a first round draft pick, probably somewhere around 5-8. We will then most likely dump Cato and his contract which is about $8-8.5 million. Detroit will then spend this money on a back up point guard. Hunter doesn't cut it as Billups' reserve, and I think Dumars already has eyes on Arroyo's replacement.

Correct?

I actually doubt we'll swing another deal for a backup pg. I think we'll stick with Lindsey Hunter.

The idea is to free up cap space for two reasons...keep Ben Wallace (whose contract expires after this season) and keep Chaucey Billups (whose contract expires after next season but we'll probably give him an extension this off season).

It'd be almost impossible to keep both Ben and Chaucney without freeing up a lot of money. The only we can do that and not miss anyone is getting rid of guys like Milicic and Arroyo.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2331049

The pick we get from them...Orlando wants to keep it if it's a top 7 pick, in which case we get their 1st rounder in the NEXT draft. If it's not a top 7 pick, Orlando would give the pick to us this draft. However...Dumars doesn't want protection all they down top #7...he wants to move the protection up further to give us a better chance of getting a good pick THIS season.

Ah okay thanks for clearing that up. I said Dumars may trade for another PG is because across almost all the Pistons forums, everyone is stressing about Hunter's inability to be the back-up. I know he's only just returning from injury, but even when he's fully fit people doubt whether he can get it done. They say he grinds the offence down to a halt, and he can barely shoot. Judging by these reactions, Dumars may want another PG who can run the offence, and score.

Do you think we'll hold onto Cato or dump him?

You many be right Aussie that Darko is going to be a great player...I agree with you too, but the thing is that Darko no matter how good he is will never get a chance to prove himself in Detroit. He can't get good minutes with Sheed/Ben/Dice in the line up.

As for the posts' above about the starters playing to much....I have to agree with that. I wonder if this is the reason for many of Flips first round playoff exits? It makes sense, if you play your starters to much in the regular season, they are bound to hit the wall in the playoffs. I'm kind of worried, by the time we meet the Heat that they will be to deep and out work us

The starters have played less minutes this year than they have last year. And last year they made it to game 7 and should have won...

Ah okay thanks for clearing that up. I said Dumars may trade for another PG is because across almost all the Pistons forums, everyone is stressing about Hunter's inability to be the back-up. I know he's only just returning from injury, but even when he's fully fit people doubt whether he can get it done. They say he grinds the offence down to a halt, and he can barely shoot. Judging by these reactions, Dumars may want another PG who can run the offence, and score.

Do you think we'll hold onto Cato or dump him?

The only reason Dumars will go out and get another point guard for the rotation is if Chauncey or Hunter gets hurt. They don't have any need to spend the money, unless they drag somebody in from the D-League on a 10-day contract.

We'll need to hope Orlando improves marginally. Even if Dumars gets his way and gets the pick protected only to the fifth or so, Orlando is still fifth worst in the league.

Huh. The only thing that kept this deal from happening two days ago was the hassle over how protected the first rounder would be. Now it gets bumped back to 07 no matter what? That's kind of a bummer. I know the trade makes sense from every angle, especially the make-sure-Chauncey-and-Ben-are-Pistons-for-life angle (fairly important) but I sure hate having to wait til the 07 draft to see results.

Now, let's watch Darko blossom into a 20-10 All-Star machine and lift the Magic to a playoff berth next year unsure.gif god I hope not.

Now, let's watch Darko blossom into a 20-10 All-Star machine and lift the Magic to a playoff berth next year unsure.gif god I hope not.

Yeh I couldn't agree more, I hope more than anything that Darko becomes another player who doesn't live up to their potential, and ends up floating from team to team in his career. If he explodes in Orlando it will make it unbearable to think what could have been. I know Darko never showed an attitude good enough to warrant time, but seriously we used the number 2 pick in perhaps the greatest draft ever on a player who contributed 152 points in two and a half seasons? Such a tremendous disappointment.

From the Daily Dime

• An international NBA All-Star team (Yao, Tim Duncan, Dirk, Nash, Manu, Kirilenko, Pau, Tony Parker) would beat our American NBA stars.

• But the Pistons would beat the international NBA stars.

well...the pistons are supposedly going after tyronn lue, speedy claxton, and brevin knight. i'd really like breven knight. but i don't see how we'd get any of these guys.

lue and claxton are in their last years of their contract...but so is cato...so the trade would be pointless for the other team. from the pistons standpoing, none of them are worth a 1st round pick. maybe...MAYBE one of those teams will take one of our filth players.

otherwise...we're looking at lindsey hunter and alex acker to get minutes. hunter may get 10 a game...and acker may get a few.

Everyone is making a big deal about the pg area. I think they will be fine with Hunter and Acker personally. Sure Hunter may be a "offensive liability" but we don't need him to score, we have 3 other people that can in the starting 5. We just need someone that can come in and put in solid time and run the offense. Hunter and Acker will be able to do just that.

Everyone is making a big deal about the pg area. I think they will be fine with Hunter and Acker personally. Sure Hunter may be a "offensive liability" but we don't need him to score, we have 3 other people that can in the starting 5. We just need someone that can come in and put in solid time and run the offense. Hunter and Acker will be able to do just that.

I have no problems with us not getting another pg...

Hunter is fine. I know nothing about Acker, but his time will be very very limited...all he has to do is avoid messing up horribly.

I read one sentence that really put the entire trade into perspective. “Our future is signing big Ben and Chauncey, as long as these five are together they are going to be in contention every year�. Such an accurate statement, because when you think about it, these 5 players are all brilliant, the chemistry between them is amazing. Imagine keeping the core intact each year for as long as we have the chance to, it’s quite amazing. They will make us contenders every year, and we’ll always be a threat. Trading Darko wasn’t throwing away the future, trading him was maintaining the future. It’s all about perspective.

I read one sentence that really put the entire trade into perspective. “Our future is signing big Ben and Chauncey, as long as these five are together they are going to be in contention every year�. Such an accurate statement, because when you think about it, these 5 players are all brilliant, the chemistry between them is amazing. Imagine keeping the core intact each year for as long as we have the chance to, it’s quite amazing. They will make us contenders every year, and we’ll always be a threat. Trading Darko wasn’t throwing away the future, trading him was maintaining the future. It’s all about perspective.

exactly!

i still don't think we'll pick up a quality pg, i just don't think we have the chips to deal for a quality pg...i mean, we do...but we're not parting with any of the good chips. we might get a scrub pg...or we'll stick with hunter and acker.

however...if we got brevin knight for nothing, i'd be ecstatic! he'd be a very high quality guy for a backup pg! good defender...good playmaker...usually plays pretty mistake free, safe game. he aint' gonna score much...but that's ok. claxton...not as good on defense. tyronn lue...better than claxton but i'd rather have knight...knight is a little smaller but more dependable than lue.

even if we get know one...i think we'll still be in ok shape. hunter is fine as a 10 minute per game backup...and i'm interested to see what acker can do in a few minutes per game.

People talkin' about Mike James heading over here from Toronto...

Doubt it, would be nice though

guys on the radio were saying if they wanted a guy like mike james, they should have just traded for mike james and a pick instead of freaking cato and a pick. i mean...james is pretty much in the last of his contract too (player option)...

Yea, his contract is up after this year. James and Hunter were a key part to the success of the Finals two years ago. It would have been real nice to see him in a Pistons uni again, especially the way he is playing now. Talk of him being the most improved player this year.

Can someone please explain to me why we signed Dale Davis? When we first signed him I thought he was expected to assist this Pistons team through a variety of ways. Firstly, he was expected to provide some excellent defense. We all know his strength is defending, so why aren’t we exploiting this? Secondly, he was trusted upon to give the starters some extremely valuable rest. But considering he’s played just over 50 minutes for the entire season, I’m not exactly sure he’s given the starters too much relief. It was only last season for the Pacers when he was their centre, and he was averaging 7points and 9 rebounds per game in about 29 minutes. Now it’s not as though he aged 10 years during the off season, he’s still able to contribute when given the time. He wasn’t signed to provide offence, but valuable defense and rest. However due to the treatment he’s received, he’s been a poor man’s Elden Campbell. Surely we should start seeing a little more of this useful veteran?

Davis got some time in the other week against the Heat. Anyone else notice the Pistons look like they are getting bored out there and it shows by the time the 4th comes along? Usually they'll put teams away midway through the 4th. The last few games they have managed only 15 points in the 4th...