Sergei Fedorov91

Detroit Lions

Rate this topic

I love the Red Wings

I love the Tigers

I like the Pistons

AND

I always hated the Lions.

Out of all the Detroit sports teams, I cared for the Lions the least. I don't know why. I could never identify with that team. I couldn't root for them when Mel Farr, Billy Sims or Barry Sanders was in the back field.

I am became a Philadelphia Eagles fan a long time ago. I was so thrilled when Philly pummeled the Lions 58-7 in that wild card game back in 1995. Watching Wayne Fontes with a stone look on his face was priceless.

I think if the Ford family released control of that franchise, the Lions might have a real owner who gives a damn.

I read on the ESPN.com web site that they Red Wings fans were chanting "Matt Millen sucks!" during the final period of the NJ-Detroit game. Did that really happen?

Man, it's so bad for the Lions that fans have to vent against Ford, Millen and Joey Harrington at Red Wings games.

I bet guys like Yzerman, Shanny, Drapes et al are glad they don't wear football pads and Honolulu Blue uniforms.

I've always thought that being a Lions fan would cause more pain that it's worth. It actually turned me off to the NFL and it took me living in Denver to really appreciate it.

The Lions are loosing fans all the time. Apparently it can be quite profitable...

EX LIONS FAN

I feel very very sorry for you. sad.gif Luckily I have always liked other NFL franchises (ie Broncos) so I don't really care that the Lions perpetually suck.

While the Lions have perfected the craft at totally sucking over the franchise history, the Broncos have perfected the craft of giving their fans high hopes and then sucking when it really counts. But, these last few playoff exits have just been a case of their bad luck. No one wants to draw Peyton Manning and the Colts in the first round, and the Broncos did it in successive years. That being said, this year might be their year. I smell an AFC West title and a first round bye for the Donkeys, if No Mistake Jake continues his play (last week at KC nonwithstanding). Sorry this is a little off topic, but that half a sentence was all I could really manage to say about the Lions. Personally, I hope they tank every game the rest of the season, clean house, and land a quality quarterback in the draft. Leinart, Vince Young, Brady Quinn (doubtful he will leave Charlie Weis though), or Drew Stanton. I can only think of about two other guys that I'd be pumped to get, Charlie Whitehurst or Omar Jacobs, but I doubt they'll enter the draft early.

While the Lions have perfected the craft at totally sucking over the franchise history, the Broncos have perfected the craft of giving their fans high hopes and then sucking when it really counts.  But, these last few playoff exits have just been a case of their bad luck.  No one wants to draw Peyton Manning and the Colts in the first round, and the Broncos did it in successive years.  That being said, this year might be their year.  I smell an AFC West title and a first round bye for the Donkeys, if No Mistake Jake continues his play (last week at KC nonwithstanding).  Sorry this is a little off topic, but that half a sentence was all I could really manage to say about the Lions.  Personally, I hope they tank every game the rest of the season, clean house, and land a quality quarterback in the draft.  Leinart, Vince Young, Brady Quinn (doubtful he will leave Charlie Weis though), or Drew Stanton.  I can only think of about two other guys that I'd be pumped to get, Charlie Whitehurst or Omar Jacobs, but I doubt they'll enter the draft early.

I see no reason why drafting a franchise quarterback in the first round is all that helpful. The Patriots didn't do it...Tom Brady is a sixth round pick and he had to fight off What's-His-Face Bishop first. Of the likely playoff teams this year, very few drafted their QB in the first round...Carson Palmer, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, that's about it. Drafting your so-called franchise QB in the first round is no more likely to work out than drafting your so-called franchise QB in the fourth round. The Lions need offensive linemen BAD and should take seven of them.

EDIT: Charlie Whitehurst is a senior but he is the MOST overrated QB I have ever seen. If the Lions draft Whitehurst I will be furious. And I will be equally furious if they take Drew Stanton, another overrated hometown putz. Highly touted Michigan State players have done nothing but suck (hey, they're Spartans, what did we think would happen?). Charles Rogers needs to go. Mateen Cleaves was worthless. If the Lions take Stanton as a franchise QB, they are finished.

Edited by betterREDthandead

I see no reason why drafting a franchise quarterback in the first round is all that helpful. The Patriots didn't do it...Tom Brady is a sixth round pick and he had to fight off What's-His-Face Bishop first. Of the likely playoff teams this year, very few drafted their QB in the first round...Carson Palmer, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, that's about it. Drafting your so-called franchise QB in the first round is no more likely to work out than drafting your so-called franchise QB in the fourth round. The Lions need offensive linemen BAD and should take seven of them.

EDIT: Charlie Whitehurst is a senior but he is the MOST overrated QB I have ever seen. If the Lions draft Whitehurst I will be furious. And I will be equally furious if they take Drew Stanton, another overrated hometown putz. Highly touted Michigan State players have done nothing but suck (hey, they're Spartans, what did we think would happen?). Charles Rogers needs to go. Mateen Cleaves was worthless. If the Lions take Stanton as a franchise QB, they are finished.

Points taken and understood. But don't tell me you'd take still take an offensive lineman if they had a shot at a guy like Leinart.

I see no reason why drafting a franchise quarterback in the first round is all that helpful.  The Patriots didn't do it...Tom Brady is a sixth round pick and he had to fight off What's-His-Face Bishop first.  Of the likely playoff teams this year, very few drafted their QB in the first round...Carson Palmer, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, that's about it.  Drafting your so-called franchise QB in the first round is no more likely to work out than drafting your so-called franchise QB in the fourth round.  The Lions need offensive linemen BAD and should take seven of them.

EDIT: Charlie Whitehurst is a senior but he is the MOST overrated QB I have ever seen.  If the Lions draft Whitehurst I will be furious.  And I will be equally furious if they take Drew Stanton, another overrated hometown putz.  Highly touted Michigan State players have done nothing but suck (hey, they're Spartans, what did we think would happen?).  Charles Rogers needs to go.  Mateen Cleaves was worthless.  If the Lions take Stanton as a franchise QB, they are finished.

Points taken and understood. But don't tell me you'd take still take an offensive lineman if they had a shot at a guy like Leinart.

Depends on the lineman. D'Brickashaw Ferguson or Eric Winston, sure. At some point, you have to draft for need instead of drafting for flash and show. I don't even think Leinart is all that astoundingly good....I think he's more Jason White than Peyton Manning. Overrated because of the talent around him. Part of it is, I'm sick and tired of anointing the franchise's savior QB and watching him flounder and suck (Andre Ware, Charlie Batch, Joey Harrington) while other teams just seem to get lucky over and over and over and over with late-round picks. I want to see Dan Orlovsky for the rest of the season.

There are some good QB's out there that don't need to be taken in the first round. Look at what Brett Basanez has done at Northwestern with no NFL talent around him. Jay Cutler at Vanderbilt is another one. Hell, call me a homer but Marques Hagans at UVA. I'd prefer to trade for a QB, though, someone who's got a few NFL games under their belt. Like Matt Schaub.

excellent point.

Putting all that $$ and time into your first pick. Has to be the riskiest move in football. Then to be the QB and have all that pressure to succeed, quickly. Even if the team around you sucks. Look at David Carr, IMO, he is a decent QB, but because he has no one around him everyone is calling for his head.

I also think Joey will do decent once he's out of Detroit.

6th Round pick for the Lions........QB.......Southern Miss.........Dustin Almond

not really but that'd be cool for me.

Edited by RedLionWings

Although the refs have it out for us--there was no excuse for that safety to not be a safety--the Lions still had all the chances in the world to win. The ball was hovering around Green Bay's five yard line through most of the first quarter and the Lions could only manage one TD out of it. They decided to go for it on fourth down, with their HORRIBLE goal-line offense, instead of just kicking a damn field goal. You look at what kind of game they're in, where offense has been hard to come by and a score of any kind might win it in regulation, and instead they go for it and naturally can't come close.

Bah humbug.

Someone should go to Millen's house and whisper in his ear while he sleeps:

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

THE O-LINE SUCKS.

I love primetime games, always nice to embarass yourself on national TV.

ROFL!

Yeah, that's something the Lions have perfected, especially this year.

It astonishes me how creative they can be. So often, they find the most innovative ways to lose, especially in the big nationally televised games.

(P.S. Mariucci was quite a scapegoat. His firing doesn't help the team a bit, nor does it save Millen any face. I think the Lions are gonna have a very difficult time getting decent players OR a decent coach to take on this little project, particularly under Millen's poor leadership.)

Saw another "Fire Millen" sign at the Wings game today... I'm so glad they're playing at home next week. I want to hear them chant it, scream it from the rafters: FIRE MILLEN! I want the Detroit fanbase to FORCE Ford, that god awful sack of s**t, I want them to FORCE that a**hole's hand, FORCE him to fire Millen. I don't care about the team anymore, not this year, cheering isn't going to help them one damn bit; we've gotta get this guy out of our system, like the goddamn FLU, and the best way to do it is to chant, non-stop, ALL DAY LONG, signs and T-shirts and everything.