• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
betterREDthandead

2006 FIFA World Cup

Rate this topic

Speaking of which... I'm glad Fat Bastard ( :rolleyes: ) had a great game to shut up all the incessant whining about his fitness. He's had quite a few chances in the first three games and cashed in on two of his many today. The way some of the announcers/analysts (Lalas, Balboa, Wynalda, etc...) carried on you'd think they were anything compared to what Ronalda has done, and still IS doing.

I want an '02 Finals rematch (is it possible?), though with the good guys prevailing this time. ;)

If youy mean a Brazil Germny final, then the answer is yes! ;) Although if they beat Sweden then I'm pretty sure the Argies are up next! :P:lol:

As a long-suffering American-born soccer apologist, this Cup's been a huge disappointment. The U.S. team showed no offensive threat, had key defensive breakdowns at inopportune times, and got no help from the officials (that penalty for Ghana was absolutely atrocious.) Hugely frustrating.

And Ghana's injury-faking throughout the second half is exactly why most Americans dismiss soccer. Shameful.

And Ghana's injury-faking throughout the second half is exactly why most Americans dismiss soccer. Shameful.

Absolutely. I think the current rule in place (as I understand it, if you're carted off on the stretcher you have to wait for the ref to wave you back in) is far too lenient. I think they should take it out of the refs' hands. If the trainer has to come out and see you, you're out for 15 minutes, because obviously you need a rest if you're hurt so badly. And the stretcher means you're out for the game - if you can't even walk off the field, clearly it's for your own health that you be kept out of the game.

Ja! Zwei - Nil!!

IPB Image

The ref may have enjoyed this one a bit too much.

IPB Image

For the most part he seemed to do alright, waving off fouls, telling players to calm down, letting a play move on without disrupting it and then stepping in (that hand-ball call on Frings while the Swedes were on the attack, he let play resume and carded him later). Those yellows on Lucic were a touch soft, the PK was pretty bad (luckily missed), and he missed that blatant late bodycheck on Ballack. Those aside, it was pretty good.

Swedes were out of it early. Klose made them pay setting up the youngster Podolski. They continued to pepper the Swedish goalie, Isaakson, when it was 11 on 11 and even more so 11 on 10. Dominant, offensively. Defense was a touch shaky.

Here's hoping they can continue the offensive trend on whoever advances from Argentina/Mexico, but they have to clean up the back end.

For the most part he seemed to do alright, waving off fouls, telling players to calm down, letting a play move on without disrupting it and then stepping in (that hand-ball call on Frings while the Swedes were on the attack, he let play resume and carded him later). Those yellows on Lucic were a touch soft, the PK was pretty bad (luckily missed), and he missed that blatant late bodycheck on Ballack. Those aside, it was pretty good.

Swedes were out of it early. Klose made them pay setting up the youngster Podolski. They continued to pepper the Swedish goalie, Isaakson, when it was 11 on 11 and even more so 11 on 10. Dominant, offensively. Defense was a touch shaky.

Here's hoping they can continue the offensive trend on whoever advances from Argentina/Mexico, but they have to clean up the back end.

Lucic should never have been sent off. That second yellow was a foul, clearly he grabbed ahold of the German player, but way short of a yellow. About half the time that sort of thing never gets called anyway.

Sweden only played well in one quarter of the field: their attacking end just inside midfield. That's where Germany will need to tighten up. Lehmann wasn't tested, and the Swedes were just atrocious in their defensive end. If not for Isaakson that game could have been 7-0.

Looking forward to this next match, Argentina vs. Mexico. Brazil and Mexico are the only teams I'm openly rooting against. Brazil has enough World Cups, thank you, they're like the New York Yankees of world soccer. And I still haven't forgiven the Mexicans for their "Osama" chant a while back.

That was a hell of a goal by Maxi Rodriguez for Argentina. Might have been the best of the tournament so far. Glad to see Argentina advance - the only problem now is that one of the best matchups going has to come as early as the quarterfinals. Germany-Argentina should be fun.

Predictions for the rest of the round of 16:

Italy over Australia

Switzerland over Ukraine

Ecuador over England

Netherlands over Portugal

Brazil over Ghana

France over Spain

My pick to win it all is the Netherlands, so i hope they at least win. For whatever reason ive adopted them as my temporary home land!

Doh, there goes my temporary home land! I have to say though, i was getting a kick out of seeing all those cards in that game...something about seeing these players flopping around and the ref throwing a card in a guy's face just makes me laugh every time.

I didn't see the POR vs NED game, but if the blow from Boulahrouz against Cristiano Ronaldo would have been penalized with a red instead of a yellow, we probably would've seen a completely different game. The whole atmosphere was poisoned after that kick, no wonder that it went up like that. Plus, there were numerous attacks which should have been punished with a sraight red, too. Unfortunately, nearly all of them were behind the back of the ref...

I didn't see the POR vs NED game, but if the blow from Boulahrouz against Cristiano Ronaldo would have been penalized with a red instead of a yellow, we probably would've seen a completely different game. The whole atmosphere was poisoned after that kick, no wonder that it went up like that. Plus, there were numerous attacks which should have been punished with a sraight red, too. Unfortunately, nearly all of them were behind the back of the ref...

Good call GW! However, I don't buy that "behind the ref's back" stuff though. There are 3 other officials at the game: the 2 linesman, and the 4th official who all call the game as well. That refereeing display was a joke, and whilst I thought it was funny at the time, looking back on it is embarrassing.....

Figo should have seen red as well. I know van Bommel went down like a sack of bricks, but you can't headbutt an opponent. Because Figo was booked at the time, it means that FIFA can't turn it to a red or ban him, which pisses me off coz he's allowed to play against England now!

Also, nice predicitions Lou: 0 for 3! Bet you're glad you didn't stick any momney on it, or did you?? :lol::P

Good call GW! However, I don't buy that "behind the ref's back" stuff though. There are 3 other officials at the game: the 2 linesman, and the 4th official who all call the game as well. That refereeing display was a joke, and whilst I thought it was funny at the time, looking back on it is embarrassing.....

Figo should have seen red as well. I know van Bommel went down like a sack of bricks, but you can't headbutt an opponent. Because Figo was booked at the time, it means that FIFA can't turn it to a red or ban him, which pisses me off coz he's allowed to play against England now!

Also, nice predicitions Lou: 0 for 3! Bet you're glad you didn't stick any momney on it, or did you?? :lol::P

lol hey i havent watched soccer in 8 years, cut me a break will ya? :lol: I'll get one right sooner or later...I guaransheed Brazil over Ghana :D

A bad dream for the socceroos. 10 seconds left (!) in extra time, Grosso with the ball on his foot in the area. Neill (I believe) slides past him and moves his shoulder towards his legs in the process. Grosso says "Thank you" and runs into that shoulder, falling down, causing a penalty.

How much luck could the Italians have in that situation? They were completely running on reserve, after the ejection against Materazzi (not right in my eyes, yellow would've been enough) crawling around their goal with barely no chance to get the grip off them. And then, one long ball, the Aussies can't get it cleared out properly, Grosso gets it near the left corner flag, there he goes...

I vote for a ITA vs SUI quarterfinal - if it happens, the chance is high that there will be another POR vs NED game since the two nations past clashes have been known for nice dirty fouls... ^^

I watch two guys run at each other for the ball and I just want to see them check each other once. That's all I ask, once. Just drop the shoulder and wail on him.

Looks like Ukraine took out Switzerland on PKs. Things are looking rather interesting

I've never seen a team shooting penalties like Switzerland. Oh my god.

Wait, I've had to rule a youth cup game a couple of years ago. The favorites (and away team) scored the tying goal in the very last second and went through on penalties after that. Boy, I was nearly lynched by the home crowd... :o

Anyways:

Projected SEMI final ties:

GER vs ITA (no comment needed)

ENG vs BRA (Brazilian luck > French luck)

Edited by German Red Wing

Projected SEMI final ties:

GER vs ITA (no comment needed)

ENG vs BRA (Brazilian luck > French luck)

My Final Four...I'd love to see England win it all just so we can witness hooliganism at its finest but they wont get past Brazil if they can win their next match

ARG v ITA

ENG v BRA

For the Cup

ARG v BRA

Champions

Brazil

Edited by gowingsgo

My Final Four...I'd love to see England win it all just so we can witness hooliganism at its finest but they wont get past Brazil if they can win their next match

ARG v ITA

ENG v BRA

For the Cup

ARG v BRA

Champions

Brazil

going to be hard to knock out Germany on their home soil. I look for Germany to make it at least to the final game, maybe even winning it at the end.

going to be hard to knock out Germany on their home soil. I look for Germany to make it at least to the final game, maybe even winning it at the end.

Home field advantage plays a big part into any sport, but Argentina is a scoring machine. Germany is going to have a hard time making it to the final four let alone the finals

Shouldn't you want them to lose then? I've heard it mentioned before that if Germany and England meet in the finals it could spark WWIII. Their "fan" bases have clashed a few times already.

Personally I want Germany v Brazil. '02 rematch.

Shouldn't you want them to lose then? I've heard it mentioned before that if Germany and England meet in the finals it could spark WWIII. Their "fan" bases have clashed a few times already.

Personally I want Germany v Brazil. '02 rematch.

I'd love to see England vs. Germany for all the marbles. The atmosphere and tension would be amazing. And yes, a few people might die. But that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. ;)