• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Systemfel

Systemfel

-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 02:28 PM

Hey, I'm sure all of you know Red Wings prospect Johan Ryno. He's a hulking (6-5) right winger with some sweet stickhandling.

After the 2005/2006 season, Ryno signed a two-year deal with Swedish top team Frölunda, a team famous for making young players succeed.

According to Frölunda's coaching staff, Ryno will play with feisty veteran (and team clown, just look here) Jonas Esbjörs and very experienced centerman and team captain Jonas Johnson. Ever since Finnish sniper Tomi Kallio arrived from North America in January, 2003, Johnson played with him and former minor-leaguer and team MVP Niklas Andersson on a feared top-unit. It'll be interesting to see what influence the captain will have on Ryno.

Now to my intent with this thread. I was thinking I could be using it to report on Ryno during the season. Since he plays for my SEL team, I obviously will see a lot of him.

A few pix of Ryno making his first on-ice practice:
Listening to the coach
Ryno in the middle
Ryno with huge d-man Tomi Pettinen

Pix courtesy of wildwestsupport.se...

Edited by Systemfel, 03 August 2006 - 02:32 PM.

#2 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:36 PM

Awesome! I'll look forward to the updates.

Posted Image

#3 Barnes52

Barnes52

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:57 PM

I'm really excited about this kid. Thanks for the updates

#4 Seth

Seth

Now thats Grit!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:59 PM

It'll be interesting to see how this year goes for him with his team and linemates.
Open Your Mind, and close your damn mouth.
"It's called the American Dream Because you've got to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Derek Boogaard has allowed to live. - Johnny B

#5 FunkyBlueFish203

FunkyBlueFish203

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:33 AM

He's supposed to earn a spot on any of the top 3 lines. Nice that he'll be playing on the same team as fellow Wings prospect, Anton Axelsson. From what I read from a Frolunda fan on another site, Ryno has terrific offensive tools and is good in his own end as well. He is willing to pay the price to score a goal but doesn't dish out hits himself. He's still filling into his frame so once that happens, he could develop his game into a more charge-the-net type and turn into a power forward. Right now he has all the tools to be a solid two-way player.

http://files.upl.sil...nke-13-1200.jpg <-- The giant shooting on Lundqvist is our boy. Likely from the same practice. This shot is from the Frolunda fan on another board.

Thanks for keeping us posted, Systemfel.

"He sits next to Steve in that locker room for a reason -- because we wanted him to internalize some of those things. Steve was able to will this organization to unbelievable years with the three Stanley Cups, and now it's up to someone else. Z has that kind of will and that work ethic and that passion to be the best. It's going to be his time." -- Coach Mike Babcock

DOPASAPA est. 2006, President

#6 Hatcher#2

Hatcher#2

Know Your Role

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:15 AM

Doea anyone know if the Wings are planning on bring him over to play in the rookie tournament this year? it would be interesting to see how he performs.
"Wanna go pretty boy" Carl Racki

#7 Seth

Seth

Now thats Grit!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE(Hatcher#2 @ August 10, 2006 - 09:15AM) View Post

Doea anyone know if the Wings are planning on bring him over to play in the rookie tournament this year? it would be interesting to see how he performs.

I really really doubt it. Kid is definetly still a kid. In 2 years probably, but unless hes completly outstanding in 2006 don't expect him over here till 08 or 09.
Open Your Mind, and close your damn mouth.
"It's called the American Dream Because you've got to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Derek Boogaard has allowed to live. - Johnny B

#8 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 02:10 AM

Whether they bring him over or not they still have to sign him next summer or he re-enters the draft.

Posted Image

#9 Systemfel

Systemfel

-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:13 PM

Well... Frölunda has now played two games of the Nordic Trophy pre-season tournament. In the opening game Ryno couldn't help seeing his team collapse against Kärpät in Oulu, Finland. Frölunda took an enormous beating and lost 9-0.

Today Ryno played on a line with '82 born Karl Fabricius (who almost signed with Philly in June) and '84 born Edmonton center prospect Fredrik Johansson. Don't know how well Johan played in that game, but he went pointless as his team lost 5-4. Too bad the coaching staff (including former NHLer Calle Johansson) didn't stick him with speedy 5-foot-5 Steve Kariya who he seemingly found some chemistry with during the first game... Those two looked hilarious skating together because of the size differnce. cool.gif

Edited by Systemfel, 11 August 2006 - 01:14 PM.

#10 Systemfel

Systemfel

-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:06 PM

Frölunda played their fourth game of the pre-season today, losing to Swedish champions Färjestad. Playing with vet Jonas Esbjörs and 16-year-old Dane Mikkel Bödker on the Red Unit, Ryno scored Frölunda's second goal in the game. That goal put Frölunda a goal behind heading into the third, but Färjestad scored TWO shorthanded goals and went on to win 5-3.

Also, a note: Ryno's playing with #61 on his back, since his favorite number (19) is retired by Frölunda. cool.gif

#11 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE(Systemfel @ August 17, 2006 - 04:06PM) View Post

Frölunda played their fourth game of the pre-season today, losing to Swedish champions Färjestad. Playing with vet Jonas Esbjörs and 16-year-old Dane Mikkel Bödker on the Red Unit, Ryno scored Frölunda's second goal in the game. That goal put Frölunda a goal behind heading into the third, but Färjestad scored TWO shorthanded goals and went on to win 5-3.

Also, a note: Ryno's playing with #61 on his back, since his favorite number (19) is retired by Frölunda. cool.gif

Ohhh upside down. Tricky and it'll work once he hits the Wings too. Thanks for the updates!

Posted Image

#12 Systemfel

Systemfel

-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:30 AM

Last night Frölunda beat Finish HIFK at home, 5-2 was the final score. On former Tampa center Martin Cibák's 1-0 goal, Ryno got an assist along with Jonas Esbjörs. This was a power-play goal. Ryno was at the halfboards, then passed it to Esbjörs in the corner. Esbjörs skated forward a bit and set up Cibák with a beautiful feed.

Ryno also got a game misconduct. This was during a Frölunda PP too. Ryno crashed the net after a point shot from Dallas prospect Jonas Fransson, and just barely touched HIFK goalie Janne Lundell. Then some idiot on HIFK just jumped Ryno from behind and cross-checked him in the neck. A brawl (with gloves on) started. The idiot who cross-checked Ryno got ejected for cross-checking. That was perfectly fine. But then, Ryno was thrown out of the game as well. For CHARGING. How can a player get ejected for just touching the opposing goalie? Stupid, gutless, Swedish refs...

Edited by Systemfel, 24 August 2006 - 07:31 AM.

#13 FunkyBlueFish203

FunkyBlueFish203

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:54 AM

Eerr, weird about Ryno being tossed out.

Thanks for the updates systemfel!

"He sits next to Steve in that locker room for a reason -- because we wanted him to internalize some of those things. Steve was able to will this organization to unbelievable years with the three Stanley Cups, and now it's up to someone else. Z has that kind of will and that work ethic and that passion to be the best. It's going to be his time." -- Coach Mike Babcock

DOPASAPA est. 2006, President

#14 Systemfel

Systemfel

-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:55 AM

Frölunda faced Finnish team Tappara on Friday night. Steve Kariya scored the 2-1 GW for Frölunda after 16 secs of OT. Ryno had another strong showing with four shots on goal. He was held off the scoresheet, though...

Some pix:
Ryno crashing the net along with Jonas Johnson
Ryno and the captain complaining a pretty suspect offside call
Ryno crashing the net again
Saluting the crowd at the end
Ryno on the backcheck
Piece of junk

Pics courtesy of Fredrik Holmblad.

Edited by Systemfel, 27 August 2006 - 10:02 AM.

#15 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:53 PM

OK, so speaking of Ryno, just how do you pronounce his name? RAI-noh? REE-no? I've wondered this for a while.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#16 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 12:34 AM

QUOTE(betterREDthandead @ August 31, 2006 - 04:53PM) View Post

OK, so speaking of Ryno, just how do you pronounce his name? RAI-noh? REE-no? I've wondered this for a while.

It may also be something closer to say Roo-noh. The Y can have a touch of 'u' in it over there. Like Lydman (Lidman) turned into Lewdman when he went to Buffalo. Though he is Finnish, but sometimes the names get crossed over like the Salo's.

Posted Image

#17 Systemfel

Systemfel

-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:03 AM

In English people probably should pronounce it "REE-noo". The Swedish Y sound is pretty hard for Enligsh spoken to say, I think. smile.gif

Edited by Systemfel, 01 September 2006 - 07:13 AM.

#18 J-Swift

J-Swift

Clutch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE(Systemfel @ September 1, 2006 - 03:03AM) View Post

In English people probably should pronounce it "REE-noo".

That's how the TSN play-by-play guys were pronouncing his name back in the World Juniors.

#19 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:37 PM

Well this is what I got as an answer over at HFBoards.

Well, here's my attempt at a transcription:

YOH-hun REW-noh

Notes:
* A Swedish j is always pronounced as the y in "yes".
* The first o should be long.
* The a should be short, like the u in "stun.
* The r should be rolling (with the exception of certain dialects).
* As Krm500 pointed out, the y is close to the German ü (or the French ue sound).
I transcribed it ew as in "few", but it's really the middle of that diphtong I'm getting at.
Try saing ee and as you say it, slowly form your mouth to say oo.
If you stop halfway you should find the Swedish y, or at least be very close to it.
If it doesn't work, I suggest you go with the ee sound and say "Reeno".
* I'm not entirely sure how the last o should be pronounced ("Ryno" isn't a exactly a common name), but when I say it, it sounds kind of like the o in a British "not".
Could be I prounounce it wrong and it should be more like the oo in "good".

Posted Image

#20 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:27 AM

Try saing ee and as you say it, slowly form your mouth to say oo.

That's pretty much exactly the directions I got from my French teacher in high school. Boy do you sound Frenchy when you start doing that. Monsieur Granger was always trying to have us get rid of our American accents when speaking French and that is a great way to start sounding European.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya