• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BlakChamber

2006 Hot Stove League

Rate this topic

I like Sheff, but isn't he kind of a risk health wise?

No. He hurt his wrist last season, which isn't the kind of thing that really lingers. He'll be full health by spring training.

I'm with Lou....I'd have preferred to see Sanchez used to get somebody else. Same goes for Whelan. Sheff's risky. Not because of his health, but because of his age. He'll be 38 in a week or so, and we're stuck with him for three seasons. Here's hoping the Tigers aren't thinking first base with this guy. DH all the way. I don't think Dombrowski's done wheeling and dealing though. But for now, lineups anyone?

Granderson - CF

Rodriguez - C

Ordonez - RF

Sheffield - DH

Guillen - SS

Polanco - 2B

Monroe - LF

Casey (???) - 1B

Inge - 3B

I know the easy thing to do would be to slide Sheffield in at first base, but he doesn't like it as a full-time spot, and let's face it, he's not a first baseman. And I don't think Leyland would force him to. So my lineup-making is kind of moot without knowing how that'll shake out. MARK TEIXEIRA! Even with Sanchez gone I still think it can happen. Shelton, Monroe/Thames, and a pitcher would do it, especially if Carlos Lee leaves Texas. And I don't even think it has to be Bonderman. Jurrjens and Maroth or Roberton? (even though I'd hate to see Maroth leave).

I didn't want the Tigers to go get a DH. Mostly because I'd much rather see Maggs get DH'ed to save his knee.

Exactly. Now we have 2 potential DH's locked up long term for massive dollars. I just dont like it. As betterRED said theres no way in hell we can have Sheffield at 1B. I know Illitch has shown willingness to spend with the Wings and all...but there has to be a limit on how high he'd go.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2656847

Leyland won't be using Sheffield as a 1B, he'll be a DH mostly. Excellent. According to the article the trade was agreed to on Tuesday and the extension reached Thursday. That has to be some kind of recent record for keeping news secret.

So the GM meetings are next week.....can we look forward to another swap? Hope so. I don't mind not using Maggs as the primary DH. For one thing, Sheffield can spot him in right, so neither of them gets too creaky-kneed. For another, Maggs made it through this whole season with no problems, and he still does well with the glove. I think the only downside, besides the length of the contract, is that Sheffield's a righty. Oh, and he'll need a new number. He wears #11, and that's Sparky's number.

By the way, you know what's really neat? I love how when a player gets traded or signs with a new team, ESPN puts him in his new cap right away, with the miracle of Photoshop. So as soon as the transaction gets reported, even before there's a press conference, there's a picture of the new pickup in his new hat.

with the mlb meetings getting underway this week, look for the tigers to make a move or two. A friend of mine were discussing the options the tigers had in signing a free agent this offseason. While happy with Shef, I want them to do more.

How would you guys feel about Barry Bonds playing for the Tigers? I have mixed feelings regarding this. He can still get you 25 hrs, 80 rbis in a season and is a decent left handed bat. He has ties with Jim Leyland from his days in Pittsburgh. However, the whole steroids allegations is a huge risk that I dont think the Tigers want to be surrounded with. I look at this like the Philadelphia Eagles when they signed TO to get them "over the hump". It ended up being a disaster. Curious to know what you think.

Exactly. Now we have 2 potential DH's locked up long term for massive dollars. I just dont like it. As betterRED said theres no way in hell we can have Sheffield at 1B. I know Illitch has shown willingness to spend with the Wings and all...but there has to be a limit on how high he'd go.

From what I understand, Mags does not want to DH.

with the mlb meetings getting underway this week, look for the tigers to make a move or two. A friend of mine were discussing the options the tigers had in signing a free agent this offseason. While happy with Shef, I want them to do more.

How would you guys feel about Barry Bonds playing for the Tigers? I have mixed feelings regarding this. He can still get you 25 hrs, 80 rbis in a season and is a decent left handed bat. He has ties with Jim Leyland from his days in Pittsburgh. However, the whole steroids allegations is a huge risk that I dont think the Tigers want to be surrounded with. I look at this like the Philadelphia Eagles when they signed TO to get them "over the hump". It ended up being a disaster. Curious to know what you think.

Bonds? HELL F**KING NO. And not just because he's a lying 'roid-addled cancer. But other than bat lefty, what can he do that Craig Monroe can't?

I expect the Tigers will make another trade at the meetings this week. I don't see any reason to sign any of the free agents on the market.

Bonds? HELL F**KING NO. And not just because he's a lying 'roid-addled cancer. But other than bat lefty, what can he do that Craig Monroe can't?

I expect the Tigers will make another trade at the meetings this week. I don't see any reason to sign any of the free agents on the market.

its a two part move. Sign Bonds and then trade Monroe and Bonderman for Teixeria.

Sure I would love for Monroe and Bonderman to stay but they may not.

its a two part move. Sign Bonds and then trade Monroe and Bonderman for Teixeria.

Sure I would love for Monroe and Bonderman to stay but they may not.

Yeah, but the point is, Bonds would cost about $15M a year, and Monroe costs nowhere near that. Same for Thames. And Bonds is an atrocious fielder. Simply atrocious. There's no place for Bonds on this team.

Yeah, but the point is, Bonds would cost about $15M a year, and Monroe costs nowhere near that. Same for Thames. And Bonds is an atrocious fielder. Simply atrocious. There's no place for Bonds on this team.

Well said. Plus, the Tigers are actually a team. In the sense that it's a group of guys who all seem to like each other and get along. Bond's isn't exactly known as a team player.

I've read on several sites that Jamie Walker is looking to get a 3 year, 9-12 million dollar deal. There's a shortage of lefthanded relievers on the market this year.

I like Walker, and I don't fault him for going for a big payday, but I don't think he's worth that price.

Here's how I see the lineup and batting order right now:

1) Granderson, CF

2) Polanco, 2b

3) Guillen, SS

4) Sheffield, DH

5) Rodriguez, C

6) Ordonez, RF

7) Casey, 1b

8) Monroe, LF

9) Inge, 3b

Backups:

IF: Shelton, Infante, Santiago, Perez

OF: Thames, Clevlen, Gomez

C: Wilson

Rotation:

Bonderman, Rogers, Robertson, Verlander, Maroth

Bullpen:

Miner, Ledezma, Zumaya, Grilli, Rodney, Colon, Jones

Miller likely spends most of next year at Toledo starting.

My buddy told me that he was listening to Peter Gammons, and he said the Tigers are in the Manny Ramerez sweepstakes? Any truth to this or no??

My buddy told me that he was listening to Peter Gammons, and he said the Tigers are in the Manny Ramerez sweepstakes? Any truth to this or no??

If it comes from Gammons, there's probably a measure of truth to it. It's plausible, at least. We can replace Manny for them and improve their LF defense besides, by offering up Monroe.

Manny Ramirez would cost us Bonderman among others for sure, i say no. If he hadnt gotten damn Sheffield id probably be for it...but Manny, Sheffield, and Magglio? Nope dont like it.

Me too and I remind my girlfriend, the Cub fan, of that thing constantly.

It's funny, when we first started going out the Cubs were in the playoffs and she would always rip on me...of course I could always get her with "1908"....but have the tables ever turned.

Me too and I remind my girlfriend, the Cub fan, of that thing constantly.

It's funny, when we first started going out the Cubs were in the playoffs and she would always rip on me...of course I could always get her with "1908"....but have the tables ever turned.

If she was a really savvy Cub fan you'd say "1908" and she'd just go "and who did we beat?"

It's a shame though: I like the Cubs, and they looked pretty promising in '03. Since then it's been hard-luck injuries and very poor management.

Yeah...her dad's the Cubs fan and passed it on to her. She does say that sometimes, but I think she knows that it doesnt really matter when it happened about a hundred years ago.

I guess I just dont think you can brag about things you werent alive for. Although I'll use it when I'm cornered and it's to my advantage.

Edited by Hockeytown Red Wings