• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rice

Interesting notes from Spector

Rate this topic

Bruce Garrioch (Ottawa Sun):

- Edmonton Oilers forward Ryan Smyth has already rejected a $4 million per season offer from the club and is seeking more. Garrioch suggests "the Rangers, Kings, Wings and Coyotes are all expected to make a pitch" should Smyth hit the UFA market in July.

Very good.

Jon Matheson (Edmonton Journal):

Jim Matheson reports Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland has grown frustrated with Pavel Datsyuk's agent in recent contract negotiations. Datsyuk is a UFA next summer, is earning $3.9 million this season and while he's been a playoff dud may be seeking $5 million per season in his next contract. Matheson suggests the Wings should trade Datsyuk "for a shooter on the wing" or a centre like Keith Tkachuk to sign this summer. Matheson also reporters there may be some friction with "free agent to be Robert Lang" who could walk as their number two center but feels the club can live without Datsyuk.

Interesting about Lang. I wonder what will happen.

Edited by ARice89

Ryan Smyth is good but how much more than $4M does he want?

I like Tkachunky. He can play. His overpriced contract aside, the guy can score.

Robert Lang, I think is extremely frustrated right now. He's scoring but he's playing on the wing, something he does not like. He's also not too effective there. He prefers to center a line, and he has mentioned he would like to play with Hudler. He's on the second PP unit, which he is also not too fond of. He does come through in the playoffs, though so it will be interesting to see how that issue pans out.

Guest wingsfan28__

just let lang center the 3rd line if he doesnt like the wing , i dont get the problem , whats wrong with babcock

trade datsyuk , sign smyth or doan in the off season and add chris drury to center the 2nd line

How ironic would it be if Datsyuk sucks during the regular season but somehow becomes some playoff god this year?

(of course we need to make the playoffs for that to happen)

Tkatchuk??? Are you serious??? Hell No!!! There are others out there much younger. Tkatchuk has just always seemed to me to be one of the most overrated players in the NHL, along with Doug Weight.

wingsfan28__ Posted Yesterday, 05:34 PM

trade datsyuk , sign smyth or doan in the off season and add chris drury to center the 2nd line

It's funny how easy you make these three major moves sound. Just a pinch of salt, a tsp of sugar and stir...

Detroit # 1 Fan Posted Yesterday, 11:03 PM

Seriously i'd rather tkachuk & smyth over datsyuk

Tkachuk AND Smyth over Datsyuk?

Give me smyth or Give me death

Gonna miss you...

luvmnger Posted Today, 12:55 AM

come on......slovaks unite......

Bondra / Lang / Hudler

Sammy / Zett / Fillipula

Williams / Dats / Homer

Malts / Draper / Cleary

thats how it works in my book.

Oh yeah...I keep forgetting we have Peter Bondra.

Yeah, I say get Smyth. Even better if it was before end of season. Trade Datsyuk for him, and that allows Lang to center the second line. I think Lang is slow, but he is making things happen and is actually putting up points in the post season.

Yeah, I say get Smyth. Even better if it was before end of season. Trade Datsyuk for him, and that allows Lang to center the second line. I think Lang is slow, but he is making things happen and is actually putting up points in the post season.

Datsyuk for Smyth would be an AWESOME deal for Detroit...cant say the same for Edmonton.

The people on the Edmonton board seem to think that we wouldn't want Smyth cause he is like Holmstrom. They claim to want a good stay at home D-man. Or at least the fans on the board over there do. Who knows about KLowe.

The people on the Edmonton board seem to think that we wouldn't want Smyth cause he is like Holmstrom. They claim to want a good stay at home D-man. Or at least the fans on the board over there do. Who knows about KLowe.

Smyth would be the best case sernario for the Wings getting rid of Pavel. But Lowe is one of the best GM's and he would want more. I have to give credit to Lowe, he is in one of the worst markets and still puts out a quality team. Does Holland have the stones to make a big trade? He has never pulled the trigger on a block buster, he has always made small deals or sign free agents.

Does Holland have the stones to make a big trade? He has never pulled the trigger on a block buster, he has always made small deals or sign free agents.

Really? Hasek wasn't a blockbuster? Chelios? Lang? Schneider? Ulf Samuelsson? Wendel Clark? I wouldn't call those "small deals".

Really? Hasek wasn't a blockbuster? Chelios? Lang? Schneider? Ulf Samuelsson? Wendel Clark? I wouldn't call those "small deals".

I do not know what you consider a blockbuster trade, but one of the simple definition is quality for quality and not one of those qualifies. Were they good moves? Hell yes, but the Wings didn't give up anyone of importance in any of those deals. Now Avery might be considered an important piece of L.A. now, but he was barely on the Wings at the time of the trade. If I am not mistaken wasn't Hasek a free agent signing? So everyone of these deals were good, but safe in the fact they didn't give up anyone of quality. The is the reason I asked the question, does Holland have the stones?

Smyth would be the best case sernario for the Wings getting rid of Pavel. But Lowe is one of the best GM's and he would want more. I have to give credit to Lowe, he is in one of the worst markets and still puts out a quality team. Does Holland have the stones to make a big trade? He has never pulled the trigger on a block buster, he has always made small deals or sign free agents.

I agree with the Smyth for Dats trade and think it would help us out more. But i see why Edmonton would rather have a dman in the mix instead. People over there are tearing Smith a new one and saying he should hand over the captaincy. I havn't seen many Edmonton games but i always thought Smith was a great D-man and underated. Anyways we would probably have to do a Dats and Dman for Smyth and Torres would be my trade.

Your right too. Edmonton always had to dish off there best players cause they couldn't afford them and they still manage to field a fun team to watch and have had some success. The playoff battles between Edmonton and Dallas were always fun to watch.

They are currently complaining about some of the contracts handed out in the off season like Pisani's.

Anyways Holland doesn't have the balls IMO. So why discuss it other than boredom.

What I think he means is player-for-player kinda trades, not picks and prospects. Besides throw ins like Avery and Eriksson, he doesn't make too many of those moves.

Of course, I'm not complaining about it.

Eriksson was not a throw in...he was, at the time, a top prospect who was only a year removed from being a top four defenseman on a Cup winning team.

Eriksson was not a throw in...he was, at the time, a top prospect who was only a year removed from being a top four defenseman on a Cup winning team.

Eva like your passion, but are you Eriksson's agent? The reason I ask this, I don't think his own family would have been that optimistic.

Eva like your passion, but are you Eriksson's agent? The reason I ask this, I don't think his own family would have been that optimistic.

Considering a lot of analysts projected him as the next Nick Lidstrom, I don't think calling him a top flight prospect is overly optimistic.

I do not know what you consider a blockbuster trade, but one of the simple definition is quality for quality and not one of those qualifies. Were they good moves? Hell yes, but the Wings didn't give up anyone of importance in any of those deals. Now Avery might be considered an important piece of L.A. now, but he was barely on the Wings at the time of the trade. If I am not mistaken wasn't Hasek a free agent signing? So everyone of these deals were good, but safe in the fact they didn't give up anyone of quality. The is the reason I asked the question, does Holland have the stones?

Hasek was not a free agent signing, he was acquired for Slava Kozlov. The other deals I wouldn't call blockbusters, but that certainly was. You acquire the league's top goalie for one of your key wingers, that's a blockbuster. But neither were those other deals small-fry deals. Trades shouldn't be judged as small trades just because we gave up nobody. We needed a puck-moving offensive defenseman at the time of the Schneider deal, Holland went out and made the trade to get us one. Just because he didn't give up a major piece of the team, that makes it a small deal? That makes it a good deal.

hell yes too Smyth!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If they don't want Dats fine..Give em Hudler and a 1st if they want, if not then table Dats and a pick (although thats overpayment in my book but...whatever). Then turn and deal Dats for a prospect and pick. Either way this next season...Doan and Smyth f*ck ya!

Edited by Seth