• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingNutt

The "REAL" reason some Detroit fans dislike Fedorov

Rate this topic

Its cool you don't think Feds would help us now, True he hasn't done alot since he left Detroit, but has Detroit done much since he left either?? We have been getting embarassed in the playoffs year after year. I think Sergei's return would Help out not only himself but The Wings aswell. I'm telling you guys Sergei still has it.

:thumbup:

I agree with you. I just stay out of most of these conversations, because people have this warped sense of reality and believe what they want to, disreguarding facts. Just like the "Wings are like the USSR" comment discussed above, Harold has is right, but people will still hear what they want to hear. *****, *****, ***** it's never enough. The guy was a key in 3 cups, sure only part of a team of great players, but in 97-98 he was the best amoung them. No, thats not an arguement to bring him back, that's against all the idiots that still to this day boo him. Ungrateful, that's all it is. Cry me a river "But he only played here for over 10 years!!!!11111 :crybaby:" So he left, whatever the reason, that doesn't change what he did on the ice while he was here. As far as now days, he does still have it, his numbers while not great aren't bad either considering the team he plays for and Nash is having a crap year. I've watched my fair share of Columbus games, and the skill and speed are still there. Besides, he's a clutch playoff performer, isn't that what the Wings lack? I'd like to see him come back just to read all the people who boo's posts pissing and moaning about it, it'd make my day. :D

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I agree with you. I just stay out of most of these conversations, because people have this warped sense of reality and believe what they want to, disreguarding facts. Just like the "Wings are like the USSR" comment discussed above, Harold has is right, but people will still hear what they want to hear. *****, *****, ***** it's never enough. The guy was a key in 3 cups, sure only part of a team of great players, but in 97-98 he was the best amoung them. No, thats not an arguement to bring him back, that's against all the idiots that still to this day boo him. Ungrateful, that's all it is. Cry me a river "But he only played here for over 10 years!!!!11111 :crybaby:" So he left, whatever the reason, that doesn't change what he did on the ice while he was here. As far as now days, he does still have it, his numbers while not great aren't bad either considering the team he plays for and Nash is having a crap year. I've watched my fair share of Columbus games, and the skill and speed are still there. Besides, he's a clutch playoff performer, isn't that what the Wings lack? I'd like to see him come back just to read all the people who boo's posts pissing and moaning about it, it'd make my day. :D

You accusing people of believing what they want, disregarding the fact? I think all the Fedorov followers are guilty of that as well.

Let's not forget that Fedorov was here for the Anaheim debacle so it isn't like we went we've tanked simply because he wasn't here. He was here and was a part of that playoff year flop.

Does he still have it, sure he's still got alot of talent and he's a smart hockey player. How does he fit on the Wings? Did somebody say.......TERRIBLY!

This team needs players in the mold of Scott Hartnell or Raffi Torres. This team needs forwards that have alot of speed, some ability to finish and the most importantly, throw the body and punish opposing teams like they do to us in the playoffs. Furthermore this team needs a bonafide scoring threat on the Wing. Preferably somebody more Bill Guerin like as opposed to somebody more Teemu Selanne like. We need toughness and grit and hitting and driving to the net.

What we don't need is a guy nearing his 40's, who is another ******* centerman (cause like 7 on the team isn't enough) who has become more of a perimeter player the last few years and no longer possesses the breakaway speed nor the drive to take the puck hard to the net and beat people.

Would dumping Jason Williams for Fedorov make the team better, of course. But that's not likely to happen. What's likely to happen is that he'd be acquired for somebody on the roster we don't want to give up and even more probable that it'd cost us a nice draft pick as well. All of that and it doesn't address our need for a more physical presence.

And anybody who tries to tel me Fedorov is a physical presence has their head so far up their ass let me just stop them before they try. Iginla is a physical presence. So is Guerin, Torres, Hartnell, Doan. Fedorov is not like these players in that regard and that's what we need.

And let's also not forget that he'd instantly become the 2nd highest paid player on the team behind Lids. Or do we now think 6 million is a drop in the bucket?

I have no problem with anybody who likes Fedorov (I have nothing personal against him nor do I boo him) and I have no argument that he still has alot of skill and great hockey sense. My problem with bringing him back is that he doesn't address what we need. We don't need another soft, perimeter, playmaking, center. We just don't. We have so many other pressing needs that can be filled for far less cap space that make us a more well rounded playoff contender.

You accusing people of believing what they want, disregarding the fact? I think all the Fedorov followers are guilty of that as well.

Let's not forget that Fedorov was here for the Anaheim debacle so it isn't like we went we've tanked simply because he wasn't here. He was here and was a part of that playoff year flop.

Does he still have it, sure he's still got alot of talent and he's a smart hockey player. How does he fit on the Wings? Did somebody say.......TERRIBLY!

This team needs players in the mold of Scott Hartnell or Raffi Torres. This team needs forwards that have alot of speed, some ability to finish and the most importantly, throw the body and punish opposing teams like they do to us in the playoffs. Furthermore this team needs a bonafide scoring threat on the Wing. Preferably somebody more Bill Guerin like as opposed to somebody more Teemu Selanne like. We need toughness and grit and hitting and driving to the net.

What we don't need is a guy nearing his 40's, who is another ******* centerman (cause like 7 on the team isn't enough) who has become more of a perimeter player the last few years and no longer possesses the breakaway speed nor the drive to take the puck hard to the net and beat people.

Would dumping Jason Williams for Fedorov make the team better, of course. But that's not likely to happen. What's likely to happen is that he'd be acquired for somebody on the roster we don't want to give up and even more probable that it'd cost us a nice draft pick as well. All of that and it doesn't address our need for a more physical presence.

And anybody who tries to tel me Fedorov is a physical presence has their head so far up their ass let me just stop them before they try. Iginla is a physical presence. So is Guerin, Torres, Hartnell, Doan. Fedorov is not like these players in that regard and that's what we need.

And let's also not forget that he'd instantly become the 2nd highest paid player on the team behind Lids. Or do we now think 6 million is a drop in the bucket?

I have no problem with anybody who likes Fedorov (I have nothing personal against him nor do I boo him) and I have no argument that he still has alot of skill and great hockey sense. My problem with bringing him back is that he doesn't address what we need. We don't need another soft, perimeter, playmaking, center. We just don't. We have so many other pressing needs that can be filled for far less cap space that make us a more well rounded playoff contender.

Gord, we've (you and I) been thorugh all of this at length already. So I'm not going to go over everything we've already discussed before. I'd just like to know what I'm believeing what I want to believe about the situation? Lids was here in 02 as well, and sucked last year in the playoffs, what's your point? My original comment was addresed to those who like there scandal and gossip stories about the guy and why he left years ago. It's stupid, fact remains, he played here for over 10 years, that's a pretty fair run with one team, no?

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Gord, we've (you and I) been thorugh all of this at length already. So I'm not going to go over everything we've already discussed before. I'd just like to know what I'm believeing what I want to believe about the situation? Lids was here in 02 as well, and sucked last year in the playoffs, what's your point? My original comment was addresed to those who like there scandal and gossip stories about the guy and why he left years ago. It's stupid, fact remains, he played here for over 10 years, that's a pretty fair run with one team, no?

Yeah, there's alot of people out there who "think" they know what the deal was. The comment about the Wings and the USSR is widely mistaken and thanks to Harold for trying to point that out.

I too have my own opinions on the guy. My grief with Fedorov during his tenure mostly occurred during his early years when I felt like he was the best player in the world but he seemed to be lazy at times. I used to have a subscription to The Hockey News and that was a weekly publication and one issue always stuck with me. It had Feds on the cover and the title was 'The Enigma of Sergei Fedorov'. I know my opinion of him was not isolated, there were many, many people who felt that he just didn't give it his all every night and that always seemed to bug me a bit but not to the point where I didn't like or appreciate the guy. So that was my issue.

Also, the Carolina offer sheet bugged me. I know its up to all athletes to go out and get the best deal for themselves and I certainly don't begrudge them for doing so. However, when you are a Wings fan and a valued Wing signs his intent to play for another team, that's going to leave a sour taste in any fan's mouth. I'd had to think what would've happened to us had we not matched the offer but that doesn't change the fact that he signed the offer and intended to leave us back then for better money. Good for him but not exactly the best way to endear the fans to you.

As for the events leading up to him going to Anaheim, I don't really know what to think. I know there was a generous 50 mil, 5 year offer I believe and he didn't sign it immediately. Why, I don't know, sounds like a slam dunk offer to me. In then end Holland pulled it and IMO he pulled it because he realized he made a mistake with that lucrative an offer sheet. Oh well, water under the bridge.

Those who boo him I feel are being silly. The guy left and its over so move on already. It doesn't diminish what he did while he was here but unquestionably it does diminish his standing in the history of the Wings. There is no doubt that had he remained a Wing for his entire career he'd have been a lock for jersey retirement and would've gone down as one of the greats, probably 3rd behind Gordy and Steve. But that isn't to be. As it stands his days with the Wings are over. Although there is maybe the slightest chance he could have his number retired I think the majority of fans have voiced they aren't in favor of that and although I have no evidence to back up my belief I think the ownership and management aren't to keen to see his number lifted either.

He isn't a good fit for us right now and he's likely never going to be a Wing again and Fedorov chapter in the Wings' history book is over and not likely to be reopened ever via jersey retirement or what have you. But he was still an integral part of this franchise, one of its most prolific players and to boo him to this day I find, perhaps not classless but at least a little selfish.

on crack?? Mr. Negative has just showed up everyone. Its cool you don't think Feds would help us now, True he hasn't done alot since he left Detroit, but has Detroit done much since he left either?? We have been getting embarassed in the playoffs year after year. I think Sergei's return would Help out not only himself but The Wings aswell. I don't think him and Babcock would click very well but the rest of the team would I believe. The price is the main thing he would have to take a cut like Hasek, and maybe get a bonus if his numbers are good enough or something. Look at the team he is playing for??? The Blue Jackets that is another reason why his numbers are hurting. I'm telling you guys Sergei still has it.

We'll, as I recall. We won the Presidents Trophy. Plus we did this crap before we won it in 2002. In 2001, we lost to the Kings ( I still hate hearing Cartman scream lets go kings) although we shouldn't have (like the damn Oilers or Ducks). Then the next year they hoist the cup. All I am saying is, they just gotta keep on plugging and i'm sure that the next cup wont be too far away.

Yeah, there's alot of people out there who "think" they know what the deal was. The comment about the Wings and the USSR is widely mistaken and thanks to Harold for trying to point that out.

I too have my own opinions on the guy. My grief with Fedorov during his tenure mostly occurred during his early years when I felt like he was the best player in the world but he seemed to be lazy at times. I used to have a subscription to The Hockey News and that was a weekly publication and one issue always stuck with me. It had Feds on the cover and the title was 'The Enigma of Sergei Fedorov'. I know my opinion of him was not isolated, there were many, many people who felt that he just didn't give it his all every night and that always seemed to bug me a bit but not to the point where I didn't like or appreciate the guy. So that was my issue.

Also, the Carolina offer sheet bugged me. I know its up to all athletes to go out and get the best deal for themselves and I certainly don't begrudge them for doing so. However, when you are a Wings fan and a valued Wing signs his intent to play for another team, that's going to leave a sour taste in any fan's mouth. I'd had to think what would've happened to us had we not matched the offer but that doesn't change the fact that he signed the offer and intended to leave us back then for better money. Good for him but not exactly the best way to endear the fans to you.

As for the events leading up to him going to Anaheim, I don't really know what to think. I know there was a generous 50 mil, 5 year offer I believe and he didn't sign it immediately. Why, I don't know, sounds like a slam dunk offer to me. In then end Holland pulled it and IMO he pulled it because he realized he made a mistake with that lucrative an offer sheet. Oh well, water under the bridge.

Those who boo him I feel are being silly. The guy left and its over so move on already. It doesn't diminish what he did while he was here but unquestionably it does diminish his standing in the history of the Wings. There is no doubt that had he remained a Wing for his entire career he'd have been a lock for jersey retirement and would've gone down as one of the greats, probably 3rd behind Gordy and Steve. But that isn't to be. As it stands his days with the Wings are over. Although there is maybe the slightest chance he could have his number retired I think the majority of fans have voiced they aren't in favor of that and although I have no evidence to back up my belief I think the ownership and management aren't to keen to see his number lifted either.

He isn't a good fit for us right now and he's likely never going to be a Wing again and Fedorov chapter in the Wings' history book is over and not likely to be reopened ever via jersey retirement or what have you. But he was still an integral part of this franchise, one of its most prolific players and to boo him to this day I find, perhaps not classless but at least a little selfish.

Lazy, that's an opinion, and everyone is entilted to that. Everyone has off nights for one reason or another. Maybe he could've racked up a few more points sure, but the bottom line is when it REALLY counted, Sergei was front and center. I personally don't think the guy was "lazy" as much as maybe disgrunteld at times. Bryan Murry was not only a coach but a friend of Sergei, and I think he may have felt Murry got sold out, (speculation on my part) and clearly didn't get along with Bowman for verious reasons not always ice time for himself, but maybe some teammates he felt more deserving of some also (Koz). Again, speculation.

The offer sheet, eh, like you said I can't hate on the guy for trying to get his money. You weren't alone in thinking the guy was the best all around player at one point, and lets not forget some outside factors. (his dad) Besides what the guy went through just to be in the NHL, I mean he's stated in articles how he still to this day is looking over his shoulder for the mob (russian). But your right, fans don't always understand the business side of things. Kinda like when Stevie himself was almost sold up the river for Daigle. No ones safe and if you don't look out for yourself, who will?

My opinon on the 5 for 50 offer are that he wanted to get his divorce finalized, and hire new representation. Soon after this was realized by managment (that he didn't jump on the offer, one of a few mistakes he admits) the offer was quickly pulled and the years and money dropped. I speculate that this was somewhat of a slap in the face to him, in which he knew he wouldn't get the respect or admiration like that of a Stevie or a Lids. (IMO he was just as if not more important than those guys)

Those who boo him are stupid and "greedy". Which is funny, cause that's what they accuse him of. Greed. Hmmmm.... lets look, over 10 years, numerous personal acheivements, nearly 1000 pts., versitlity like no other on the roster, 3 CUPS, personal endevors such as his foundation and cheritalbe donations. Yet all is forgot and he is treated like Bertuzzi and Claude. Unbeliveable. Newsflash, Gordie wasn't a career Wing either. Give the guy a break. I don't think he ever ask for his number to be retiered or even expected it. He knew it was Steve's team, and Steve knew his team wouldn't have done s*** without Sergei. Hate it or love it.

We all have opinions, and I don't think Detroits seen the last of 91 in a Wings jersey, one way or another.

... Newsflash, Gordie wasn't a career Wing either ...

Gorgie played pro hockey for longer than the Wings franchise was around. He couldn't possibly been a Wing for his entire career. In fact, I think he invented hockey. :D

Gorgie played pro hockey for longer than the Wings franchise was around. He couldn't possibly been a Wing for his entire career. In fact, I think he invented hockey. :D

No he wasn't, besides he didn't retire a Wing either.

Gordie retired because of injury concerns. Later he found out he could get some surgery to help him out, and then he had the incredible opportunity to play with both of his sons. That's not a gift you pass on.

Not that I blame Fedorov for leaving either. When the news first broke, I was mad as hell. It took a couple of years for all the information to surface; with all of the facts in front of me, it's easy to understand his decision.

I'm sort of curious, BB91, do you think Fedorov should have his number retired?

Gordie retired because of injury concerns. Later he found out he could get some surgery to help him out, and then he had the incredible opportunity to play with both of his sons. That's not a gift you pass on.

Not that I blame Fedorov for leaving either. When the news first broke, I was mad as hell. It took a couple of years for all the information to surface; with all of the facts in front of me, it's easy to understand his decision.

I'm sort of curious, BB91, do you think Fedorov should have his number retired?

Should he? If #5 goes I think 91 should. Do I think it will, no. Other than those two, no one is even close to deserving. But hey, I'd settle for a little apprecation instead of boos, that be nice...

Guest GordieSid&Ted

No he wasn't, besides he didn't retire a Wing either.

The thing with Gordie though is that he served over 20 years in a Wings sweater. And when you go down in history as arguably the most complete player to ever lace up a pair of skates, well you get a pass as far as the not playing with one team aspect goes.

I know you aren't trying to compare Feds to Gordie, which is good because there's really no comparison. There will likely never be a player again that combines his size, skill, toughness and longevity in any sport.

The thing with Gordie though is that he served over 20 years in a Wings sweater. And when you go down in history as arguably the most complete player to ever lace up a pair of skates, well you get a pass as far as the not playing with one team aspect goes.

I know you aren't trying to compare Feds to Gordie, which is good because there's really no comparison. There will likely never be a player again that combines his size, skill, toughness and longevity in any sport.

No I'm not it just proves my point even better. Gordie did all those things (unrealistic to expect now days) and was more appreciated than Sergei, but still left and played for another team, no? yet is like the Wings freaking Grandpa. Look I know theres bias, but the difference in how some unfairly treated in comparison to others is ridculous. What 12 seasons, with the Wings, not good enough I guess.

True, it was absolutely the right mix.

But that team without Yzerman OR without Lidstrom OR Fedorov wouldn't have won the SC. (IMHO)

The rest of the players you mentioned was (and I hate this word in this sentence..) 'replaceable.

And I say that with the utmost respect !

Fedorov from 95-00 was one of the best players in the world.

[edit: spelling]

I disagree. Without McCarty, March 26th wouldn't have happened, that exorcised the Avalanche demon and made the Wings believe that they could believe anyone. His effort that game physically and scoring the game winning goal set the tone for the Wings the rest of the season. Shanahan gave us the high scoring power forward we definitely needed, and his one-timer on the power play that season was lethal. Murphy gave us a veteran defenceman who could handle the puck and play the power play. Vladdie was skilled and physical and antagonistic. He got everyone else off their game. Without any one of those guys, we don't win The Cup. You could throw in Kozzie with his clutch scoring in the playoffs too. Fedorov was irreplacable, don't get me wrong, but he was a piece. Not the focal point.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

No I'm not it just proves my point even better. Gordie did all those things (unrealistic to expect now days) and was more appreciated than Sergei, but still left and played for another team, no? yet is like the Wings freaking Grandpa. Look I know theres bias, but the difference in how some unfairly treated in comparison to others is ridculous. What 12 seasons, with the Wings, not good enough I guess.

Well, I think its sort of a big picture thing.

Is 12 years enough? They could be if your name is Cam Neely and you are beloved like he was and you go out only because of injuries.

Years of service aside, I think people put too much stock into that by the way, one must consider a number of factors for jersery retirement and they include achievements. Obviously, Feds has the achievements to warrant it.

Here's the rub though. You gotta be beloved. Alot of the guys retired back in the days probably don't have the numbers that Feds does, but they were beloved Wings. I mean what self respecting Wings fan over the age of 15 doesn't know who Gordie how is or who comprises the Production Line or who Delvecchio and Sawchuk were? Think about the Yzerman ceremony. The guy is absolutely beloved. I don't think i've ever seen a retirement of any athlete in any sport that seemed to have so great an emotional connection to the fans.

Feds, for all the accomplishments is not only NOT beloved, he's really dispised by many of fans, right or wrong it is a fact. What's the saying about absence makes the heart grow fonder. Well, unfortunately that ain't the case in hockey and its not the case with Fedorov as is evident whenever he comes to the Joe.

So toss out the accolades, the MVP award, the Cups, its all good but without being overwhelmingly appreciated and loved by the city and its people, you just aren't going to get the same revered treatment that someone like Gordie or Yzerman got. And frankly, that's the way it should be.

On a side note, somebody mentioned Draper's name for retirement. Whereas some think that's the stupidest thing they've ever heard IMO I think he'd have a far greater chance than Feds. Of course this would likely depend upon him retiring a Wing. In Drapes case I think that that would be an important qualifier. But imagine if he played another 3-4-5 years with the Wings. Draper is repsected by everyone and pretty much loved by everyone. He is no superstar but his service has nonetheless had its role and been just as important. Personally, I don't think its that far fetched for Drapes. At this point he isn't there but he's got that one thing going for him that Feds doesn't and that is that he is perceived well by the fans and they love him. It's important.

Feds is awesome. Probably one of the most misunderstood Red Wings ever. He's probably the player who's done the most of the team while getting the LEAST amount of credit.

I'd take him back any day if it were possible. And for those who think we don't need him, I'd like you to note when the last time we won a Cup was...

Those who boo him are stupid and "greedy".

The word "greedy" is so misused. Fans who boo Fedorov are just venting, nothing more. They're ticked he left. Who really cares besides Fedorov slappies? The booers paid for their ticket and it's their choice to boo. I don't boo, but I don't cheer the guy now either. Greed, however, has nothing to do with it.

We all have opinions, and I don't think Detroits seen the last of 91 in a Wings jersey, one way or another.

Never. Fedorov will not ever return to the Red Wings, not unless Mike Illitch sells the team. Same as Legacy wasn't going to be a career Wing after calling Bowman an ant.

Guest Crymson

I agree with you. I just stay out of most of these conversations, because people have this warped sense of reality and believe what they want to, disreguarding facts.

The last time I checked, such discussions as this did not rely on facts, but rather on opinion.

How can you 'prove' that an opinion is correct? Can you produce some physical theory that states Fedorov's return would be worth it for y dollars based on x point production and z team dynamic effect? I mean, seriously...

What the f***? Lidstrom sucked last year in the playoffs?

Okay, let's use your rationale. Detroit dropped three straight playoffs between '98 and '02, and in none of them did we pass the second round. We won in '02... because we added three freaking HoF players. Now, we lost again in '03 while Fedorov was still around. I must confess that I don't get your point. You're saying that he was a big part of our success back then, so we should pick him up again now that his per-year price is twice as much and his production half as much? I don't get it.

Then again, I'm sure that I'm just choosing to ignore some of the universe-underpinning 'facts,' no?

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Feds is awesome. Probably one of the most misunderstood Red Wings ever. He's probably the player who's done the most of the team while getting the LEAST amount of credit.

I'd take him back any day if it were possible. And for those who think we don't need him, I'd like you to note when the last time we won a Cup was...

Are you serious? That's your reasoning for bringing in a 6 million dollar, non-power forward, ageing centerman to which we already have way too many centers on the team? Wow, I guess you are one of those folks would sacrifice the entire organization just to have Feds back.

And I guess he's the reason we won the cup in 2002, huh? Couldn't have had anything to do with Hasek, Shanny, Steve, Robitaille, Hull, Chelios, Lidstrom, yawn......do I need to continue?

The wings need a power forward and physical winger not another playmaking center. What is so freaking hard to understand about that?

By your rather simplistic rationale about us not winning a cup since Fedorov left (brilliant analysis by the way) you could take Feds out of the equation and replace him with......Steve Duschense or Freddy Olausson or Jiri Slegr. You see we haven't won a cup since any of those guys left either. What a brilliant theory.

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

I'm still happy when Fedex left. His mega-priced-contract would have blown our team in this new salary cap system. I'm very happy that we have Lang, who is 50% cheaper and at the moment plays lot more better.

The word "greedy" is so misused. Fans who boo Fedorov are just venting, nothing more. They're ticked he left. Who really cares besides Fedorov slappies? The booers paid for their ticket and it's their choice to boo. I don't boo, but I don't cheer the guy now either. Greed, however, has nothing to do with it.

Never. Fedorov will not ever return to the Red Wings, not unless Mike Illitch sells the team. Same as Legacy wasn't going to be a career Wing after calling Bowman an ant.

Yeah it is, by fans who don't understand the concept of hockey being a business. Fans who boo are greedy and stupid, nothing more. Who cares when fans boo a Red Wing great? Actual fans who realize what he did for the team, and how long he actually played for them. Yep, the booers did pay for there ticket, and they look like Leaf and Canuck fans. Greed has everything to do with it. There the same fans who expect there players to walk on water, and there team to win the cup every year. Anything short is unacceptable. And that's stupid.

Thanks for clearing that up Holland, but I think Sergei might have a bit more pull then Manny. Great comparison by the way.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Yeah it is, by fans who don't understand the concept of hockey being a business. Fans who boo are greedy and stupid, nothing more. Who cares when fans boo a Red Wing great? Actual fans who realize what he did for the team, and how long he actually played for them. Yep, the booers did pay for there ticket, and they look like Leaf and Canuck fans. Greed has everything to do with it. There the same fans who expect there players to walk on water, and there team to win the cup every year. Anything short is unacceptable. And that's stupid.

Thanks for clearing that up Holland, but I think Sergei might have a bit more pull then Manny. Great comparison by the way.

BB91, i'm curious about something that some people who want Fedorov back keep using as a justification. They keep saying that a return to the WIngs would make him "try harder" or "motivate" him or any number of similar sayings. To me, it almost implies that he isn't trying hard or playing hard in Columbus or has no motivation to play. I find that personally sort of stupid and insulting to Fedorov as a professional. Truly, I think its something people say because its more wishful thinking as opposed to a well thought out, rational argument for bringing him back. I've seen him play alot this year and I think he's trying damn hard to win games in Columbus.

Of course none of it changes the fact that I think it'd be a redundant move to pick him up for the many reasons i've stated a million times. But this implication that he can't or won't play his best unless he's in a Wings sweater is sort of insulting to the guy IMO.

It's one thing to talk about a change of scenery like in Dany Heatley's case where he just needed to move on. Its another to think a guy having a down year could maybe pick up his scoring on a different team with better suited linemates. But to imply that Fedorov would try harder? That sounds just plain dumb to me. He is trying. I think these folks are also under the delusion that trying harder equals you go from being a playmaking center to a crease-crashing power forward, which is also a delusion.

What do you feel about some of those statements that seem to imply he isn't playing well or not trying hard?

The last time I checked, such discussions as this did not rely on facts, but rather on opinion.

How can you 'prove' that an opinion is correct? Can you produce some physical theory that states Fedorov's return would be worth it for y dollars based on x point production and z team dynamic effect? I mean, seriously...

What the f***? Lidstrom sucked last year in the playoffs?

Okay, let's use your rationale. Detroit dropped three straight playoffs between '98 and '02, and in none of them did we pass the second round. We won in '02... because we added three freaking HoF players. Now, we lost again in '03 while Fedorov was still around. I must confess that I don't get your point. You're saying that he was a big part of our success back then, so we should pick him up again now that his per-year price is twice as much and his production half as much? I don't get it.

Then again, I'm sure that I'm just choosing to ignore some of the universe-underpinning 'facts,' no?

Yeah, that's why I usually stay out of them. The "opinions" usually are un true gossip and stuff to try to tear the guy down. Much like the before mentioned USSR comment. It's silly, people choose to ignore the facts of his career here, and go with the gossip of "he sold US out" bologna. It's stupid.

I think you've skipped a few of my posts, I don't think I've said a whole lot about him coming back, most of it's been about how stupid it is to boo him. Yes Lids sucked in the playoffs last year.

No, reread the post before trying to jump all over me.

No,your just choosing to ignore most of the posts I've made, pick and choose one or two lines, warp them then talk s***.

BB91, i'm curious about something that some people who want Fedorov back keep using as a justification. They keep saying that a return to the WIngs would make him "try harder" or "motivate" him or any number of similar sayings. To me, it almost implies that he isn't trying hard or playing hard in Columbus or has no motivation to play. I find that personally sort of stupid and insulting to Fedorov as a professional. Truly, I think its something people say because its more wishful thinking as opposed to a well thought out, rational argument for bringing him back. I've seen him play alot this year and I think he's trying damn hard to win games in Columbus.

Of course none of it changes the fact that I think it'd be a redundant move to pick him up for the many reasons i've stated a million times. But this implication that he can't or won't play his best unless he's in a Wings sweater is sort of insulting to the guy IMO.

It's one thing to talk about a change of scenery like in Dany Heatley's case where he just needed to move on. Its another to think a guy having a down year could maybe pick up his scoring on a different team with better suited linemates. But to imply that Fedorov would try harder? That sounds just plain dumb to me. He is trying. I think these folks are also under the delusion that trying harder equals you go from being a playmaking center to a crease-crashing power forward, which is also a delusion.

What do you feel about some of those statements that seem to imply he isn't playing well or not trying hard?

The guy's a pro, he's trying. His production would certainly pick up on the Wings, but that would be from benifiting from better players and team, not from trying harder.