• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheWestWing

THIS is who we need...

Rate this topic

I was (the only) fan of Gonchar a few years back when he was available - at the time he seemed like the best fit - a skilled, unobtrusive D-man. Well, it apeears those days are over - this is who we need now Souray

I doubt MON is gonna deal him while they still think they have a chance. He's having his best year ever - played in every game! All his stats are decent with maybe the exception of +/- but c'mon - it is MON. Kenneth needs to go to Pavel and say 'look, take a lil less and we'll get this big 6'4'' lug to throw out there.' With Krommie under-achiving (or all of us over-estimating), Chelli on his last leg (still), Schneids Is Lackadaisical And His Play is Suspect (â„¢ PENDING) all but history, Pylon all but vaporized, the only D-man I see other than the C over the long term is Lebda. So let's get Souray - had least when he shoots from the point he'll probaly hit the net more often than #23 - I mean, he couldn't be any worse!

Anaheim has a little hole now that O'Brien is gone, also theres the obvious need for a Dman in SJ. If he goes anywhere, i'd assume it would be one of those 2. Much more likely SJ though, as Anaheim really just needs a 5th/6th guy. But if the Ducks did get him that would be sick..

D is not the Wings weakness right now. Do you look at the shot totals in the box scores every night? Pretty good indication of the way our D has played.

Most other teams would give anything to have our depth at that position.

Guest Crymson

I was (the only) fan of Gonchar a few years back when he was available - at the time he seemed like the best fit - a skilled, unobtrusive D-man. Well, it apeears those days are over - this is who we need now Souray

I doubt MON is gonna deal him while they still think they have a chance. He's having his best year ever - played in every game! All his stats are decent with maybe the exception of +/- but c'mon - it is MON. Kenneth needs to go to Pavel and say 'look, take a lil less and we'll get this big 6'4'' lug to throw out there.' With Krommie under-achiving (or all of us over-estimating), Chelli on his last leg (still), Schneids Is Lackadaisical And His Play is Suspect (â„¢ PENDING) all but history, Pylon all but vaporized, the only D-man I see other than the C over the long term is Lebda. So let's get Souray - had least when he shoots from the point he'll probaly hit the net more often than #23 - I mean, he couldn't be any worse!

Sigh.

I hate that this needs to come out so often:

IPB Image

We've been over this SOOOO many times. You say that Souray "couldn't be any worse" than Schneider? I don't think that you have spent enough time watching Souray play defense. His ineptitude in his own defensive zone is legendary and universally agreed-upon. He may be a bit better than Schneider on offense, but he's leagues worse on defense--and that's saying a lot. Worse, he'll command a price much higher than Schneider will. If you want to pay a lot of money for "at least...." then... well, I dunno what to say.

EDIT: FYI: for reference, Souray's offensive totals this year mirror Schneider's from last year.

Edited by Crymson

We've been over this SOOOO many times. You say that Souray "couldn't be any worse" than Schneider? I don't think that you have spent enough time watching Souray play defense. His ineptitude in his own defensive zone is legendary and universally agreed-upon. He may be a bit better than Schneider on offense, but he's leagues worse on defense--and that's saying a lot. Worse, he'll command a price much higher than Schneider will. If you want to pay a lot of money for "at least...." then... well, I dunno what to say.

EDIT: FYI: for reference, Souray's offensive totals this year mirror Schneider's from last year.

Uh huh. And you've watched Schneids correct? Dunno what it is with him, but he hasn't been the same since he's come back. 'But look at his assist totals'. Plueeeeeze - Anna Nichole could get an assist on that PP with Hank and Pavel and Thomas. TG they installed netting above the nets cuz his shots of late from the point woulda taken out a few in rows 15-20. He couldn't hit the net if it was empty!

Souray is having his career year and he's 31 YO - healthy as a horse and decent numbers. 'His ineptitude in his own defensive zone is legendary and universally agreed-upon' - yeah and so is Lang's offensive skills (except when he shows up in the playoffs) - your 'universe' is just a tad smaller than mine I guess. His D skills are not gonna make anyone forget Nick, but they'll make you forget about Schneids turnovers in about a week.

EDIT: FYI for reference, they both have about 1 GvA a game but Souray has almost 4 times as many TkA. They both have about the same number of hits but Souray has almost twice as many BkS - so in my mind its a D upgrade.

Edited by TheWestWing

Sigh.

I hate that this needs to come out so often:

IPB Image

He may not be the next Bobby Orr,but at least he sticks up for his teammates.(when Koivu was hit hard,he jumped the guy and was thrown out).

Guest Tunbo Batman

Souray has a nice shot but is very braindead and a defense liability. we dont need him. we need A SCORER TO SPARK ANOTHER LINE.

Guest Crymson

Uh huh. And you've watched Schneids correct? Dunno what it is with him, but he hasn't been the same since he's come back. 'But look at his assist totals'. Plueeeeeze - Anna Nichole could get an assist on that PP with Hank and Pavel and Thomas. TG they installed netting above the nets cuz his shots of late from the point woulda taken out a few in rows 15-20. He couldn't hit the net if it was empty!

Souray is having his career year and he's 31 YO - healthy as a horse and decent numbers. 'His ineptitude in his own defensive zone is legendary and universally agreed-upon' - yeah and so is Lang's offensive skills (except when he shows up in the playoffs) - your 'universe' is just a tad smaller than mine I guess. His D skills are not gonna make anyone forget Nick, but they'll make you forget about Schneids turnovers in about a week.

EDIT: FYI for reference, they both have about 1 GvA a game but Souray has almost 4 times as many TkA. They both have about the same number of hits but Souray has almost twice as many BkS - so in my mind its a D upgrade.

Schneider does not play as well since returning from injury, yes. This is the case with many players. It takes time to get up to speed.

Lang's offensive skills are generally good. They are bad now and everyone feels angry at him because he's now useless. I don't get your point on this. Yes, Souray's defensive skills will make me forget about Schneider's turnovers pretty quickly, because I'll be so pissed about Souray's defensive errors that I'll evangelize Schneider.

Honestly, why do we need do this? We need scorers up front. As someone else has pointed out, Souray is effectively a forward who only plays the point. He's got a hard shot, and not much else. Plus, he'll command a premium price next season--do you truly want to pay that?

He may not be the next Bobby Orr,but at least he sticks up for his teammates.(when Koivu was hit hard,he jumped the guy and was thrown out).

It's all about balance. He's a guy who could nail us a few more PPGs a season and would occasionally jump someone for finishing their check, but he also takes more minor penalties than all but ten other NHLers, all the while getting turned inside out by speedy/shifty forwards and having the defensive zone awareness of a ninety year old man mid-seizure.

Balance.

Guest Crymson

He MAY be braindead, but he does make a good pylon!!!! :)

All too classic for Souray, I'm afraid. He's an utter moron on defense.

Guest Crymson

He always tries the open ice hip-check. I can't believe the amount of times he's gotten beat on that same type of play.

Yeah, he's an odd one.

In any event, I don't understand why the thread-starter feels we NEED this guy. It doesn't seem like he really fits on the team's current wish-list. Other more important slots must be filled.