• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ontario Wingsfan

Brian Burke: Trade Diary

Rate this topic

That diary is really fascinating. Would be awesome to see what all the other GMs were thinking. Too bad that'll never happen. I can't imagine how many enemy GMs would be made if everything came out.

Up until the Bert deal, I think a lot of people here think Holland's trade blog would go something like this:

Feb 7:

Seem to remember something about a deadline. Taxes? No, I've got a while still. Maybe I'm thinking of Valentine's day. Hmmm...

Feb 13:

Trade deadline! Right. Thank god for Eklund's blog. Otherwise the whole deadline thing would've completely slipped my mind. So let's take a look and see what he's got listed as E4...

Feb 16:

Still avoiding phonecalls from Yzerman and Scotty Bowman. I don't want all their great ideas clouding my thought

process.

Feb 18:

Made a lot of great trades today on my Playstation. Got Crosby and Malkin for Williams and a conditional 4th round pick.

Feb 21:

After looking around a little, this could be a tough year for us. I just don't see a lot of the soft small Euro players that I'm looking for. Instead everyone seems to be offering these big tough wingers who can score.

Feb 23:

Gone fishin'

Feb 24:

Tried to trade Lilja for a bag of pucks to St. Louis, but they were only offering practice pucks. I stood my ground and said no way. Game pucks only. Hey, I drive a hard bargain.

Feb 25:

I had some good offers for Datsyuk, but I figure if he bombs again in the playoffs I'll either re-sign him for the league max or let him walk away and get nothing in return.

Feb 26:

I've been glued to the Tradetracker on TSN all day. The trade deadline is so exciting! I wonder why won't my phone stop ringing? I think my voicemail box is full.

Feb 27:

Wow. Guerin's gone. Tkachuk is gone. Smyth is gone. That all happened so fast! Is Bernie Federko is still playing?

LMAO!

Best. Post. Ever.

Brilliant I tell ya!

Feb 24th is the most hilarious one! "they were only offering pratice pucks" ahahaha

Edited by hockeycrazy3033

This is awesome for those of us who have supported Holland.

People on here have bashed Holland as a horrible GM for years while praising Burke as a genius...yet Holland gets two guys Burke wanted for perfectly reasonable deals in a year when prices were crazy.

Just awesome.

One problem here. Who's team is better built for the playoffs? Anaheim. Burke has Holland beat in the category that means the most.

Why is it that this one acquisition of Bertuzzi is supposed to mean all us Holland bashers were wrong?? I dont get it. Past mistakes arent all of a sudden eliminated. Its like for instance, lets say the Lions next year go 14-2. Does this mean the Millen bashers were wrong all along? Hell no. He just did things right this time! All the past criticism loses NONE of its validity! And no...im not comparing Holland to Millen, just using it as an example scenario. The fact that people seem to be the most excited theyve been in a long time over this trade just goes to show that Holland wasnt doing a good job before and the criticism was in fact, warranted.

One problem here. Who's team is better built for the playoffs? Anaheim. Burke has Holland beat in the category that means the most.

Why is it that this one acquisition of Bertuzzi is supposed to mean all us Holland bashers were wrong?? I dont get it. Past mistakes arent all of a sudden eliminated. Its like for instance, lets say the Lions next year go 14-2. Does this mean the Millen bashers were wrong all along? Hell no. He just did things right this time! All the past criticism loses NONE of its validity! And no...im not comparing Holland to Millen, just using it as an example scenario. The fact that people seem to be the most excited theyve been in a long time over this trade just goes to show that Holland wasnt doing a good job before and the criticism was in fact, warranted.

You're just mad because they didn't get Fedoruk. :P

You do make a case though. But at this point, I, and many others, really aren't thinking about that with Bert soon ready to play, and of course the playoffs coming up.

You're just mad because they didn't get Fedoruk. :P

Well....i aint gonna lie about it.. ;)

In all seriousness though i know that was just wishful thinking getting him, if there were talks that fell through or if Fridge went somewhere else then i'd actually be real pissed!

Im eager to see how Bert plays as well...but this may be a long wait!

The fact that people seem to be the most excited theyve been in a long time over this trade just goes to show that Holland wasnt doing a good job before and the criticism was in fact, warranted.

:huh: That's some pretty cyclical logic, no?

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Fantastic read. Always nice to get this kind of insight into front office dealings...

I would've *really* been interested if Holland did something like this, so we could find out what the "3rd trade" Holland was working on involved that either couldn't get done before the deadline or fell through. (If it wasn't the Nolan deal, that is.)

Yes Very very intresting. Just shows how little we know about the inner workings. HOLLAND WTF PW NT HIM!

To me alot of this is for show. He seems to be trying to save face with the owners and the fans by saying, I was not the reason we f***ed up so bad.

Which is false, it very much is his fault and he is a whiny jerk. He constantly blames others for his problems and doesn't take responsiblity.

I am so happy they got hosed this year, and I hope its a trend. I won't be happy until Burke is out of hockey.

"Saturday, Feb. 17

I talk to Florida assistant GM Randy Sexton about Todd Bertuzzi, and he tells me "the guy we like is Perry." I offer him profanity. If you are offended by profanity, it's difficult to make a trade in the NHL. If you are going to try to rob me, at least wear a mask. We talk to Philadelphia about Kyle Calder." It seems that diary was either created for public consumptiion or was edited afterwords for public consumption.

This was my favorite hockey read of the year. I loved seeing the inner workings of what the GMs have to do to jockey for position to trade later. It's a chess game that ZERO people on LGW understand fully, and seeing his insight was quite awesome.

I just hope it doesn't get him in some trouble - with the league and other GMs for sharing "secrets."

Oh wait, yes I do...

Between 97 and 2003 Anaheim bombed. Then again in 2004. Not being in contention makes you a seller rather than a buyer. Add a bunch of high draft picks to that. And you end up with a solid team eventually.

Basically, you have to tank a bit to rebuild. The fact that Detroit seems to have avoided this (putting them in a class consisting of them and New Jersey) is a testament to the entire Wings mangement staff including Holland.

Oh, also, like Holland, Burke inherited a pretty good core of players and assets when he took over the GM position in Anaheim less than 2 years ago. So he didn't really "build" the Ducks like you may think.

Edited by rick zombo