• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeyCrazy3033

Blues just got screwed...big time

Rate this topic

Anyone see the clips of the Blues/Sens game tonight?!

Absolutely insane.

*I don't even know who the players were because I saw the clip and was in shock* but I believe it was a 3 on two and BEAUTIFUL passing by the Blues and SOMEHOWWW Gerber makes this brilliant stop. Except it wasn't a save and indeed a goal. The whole time the refs *Mcgoo* especially thought it was a save so they just continued the play. Finally the whistle blows way after the play and they go upstairs tor realize it is indeed a goal, but can't count it because the play was over and nothing was done about it. THEN the Blues score and fat ass CLAIMS that he blew the whistle before it went it... I watched the replay and the whistle went off about two seconds after the Blues scored. Minutes later...the Sens score shorthanded.

Yeah they pretty much got screwed. It's BS. I'm not a fan of the Blues but fair is fair and that was absolute crap!! Mick is such a jackass.

I feel kinda bad. His son attends the University Of Windsor and is a regular cstomer in my store. I had a long chat with him about being the son of a referee. and got kind of a behind the scenes insight. Kind of put things in perspective for me.

Finally the whistle blows way after the play and they go upstairs tor realize it is indeed a goal, but can't count it because the play was over and nothing was done about it.

That's not true. For whatever reason the goal wasn't counted, i can guarantee it wasn't because the play was over. I've seen it happen plenty of times when someone scores and minutes later there's a stoppage of play and they realize they scored and they count the goal.

So I don't know the circumstances but it's not because the "play was over"

THEN the Blues score and fat ass CLAIMS that he blew the whistle before it went it... I watched the replay and the whistle went off about two seconds after the Blues scored.

I suppose it's an odd rule but I've seen it happen from time to time, once a referee decides the play is over, it's over regardless of how long it takes him to put the whistle in his mouth and blow it. I've seen both Wings goals and opponents goals disallowed because of it.

That's not true. For whatever reason the goal wasn't counted, i can guarantee it wasn't because the play was over. I've seen it happen plenty of times when someone scores and minutes later there's a stoppage of play and they realize they scored and they count the goal.

I suppose it's an odd rule but I've seen it happen from time to time, once a referee decides the play is over, it's over regardless of how long it takes him to put the whistle in his mouth and blow it. I've seen both Wings goals and opponents goals disallowed because of it.

thats the good old "intent to blow the whistle" rule.

You're right. I pretty much said it wrong. I believe it wasn't a goal because the whole time they thought Gerber saved it and finally Andy Murray got the refs attention after the play *when no one even thought for a second that it was a goal* and wanted the refs to review it. It was then that they decided to and it was already too late.

Well either you are wrong or ESPN's quotation of the rule is wrong.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=270320019

Brad Boyes put the puck in at 3:14 of the final period and moments before play was stopped when Senators goalie Martin Gerber took possession of the puck. Replays showed that the puck went about a foot past the goal line before Gerber pulled it back with his stick and smothered it. The goal light wasn't turned on and the officials didn't look at replays until after play resumed.

According to Rule 78.6, once a game has restarted following a stoppage of play -- in this case when Gerber held onto the puck -- a replay can't award or disallow a goal.

Guest Crymson

If Bettman fires McGoo, he'll be destroying the mythical status of the NHL management by admitting that it is not perfect and infallible in its entirety. See the French military and the Dreyfuss Affair for an analogous situation.

Well, the NHL management is infallible in Bettman's eyes, anyway--the guy seems to be oblivious to the fact that all the fans hate him.

What, exactly, happened to us in the latest game against Phoenix? Didn't we score a goal that wasn't counted or reviewed until after the play had ended? How was that different from what happened tonight?

Paging Brett Hull...paging Mr. Brett Hull.

No s***. That guy needs to have an executive veto over anything Bettman does.

What, exactly, happened to us in the latest game against Phoenix? Didn't we score a goal that wasn't counted or reviewed until after the play had ended? How was that different from what happened tonight?

This is how I understand the situations to be different:

Wings in Phoenix: Hank jams the crease, no one can tell that he's scored, play continues until a whistle. After the first whistle, before another puck drop, play is reviewed, good goal.

Blues-Sens: Gerber appears to make a save, the whistle is blown no replay is initiated. The puck is dropped again and play is resumed. Later, it's discovered that it was a goal, but the puck's already been dropped, there's already been a whistle (made after the "save") where no replay was initiated.

According to Rule 78.6, once a game has restarted following a stoppage of play -- in this case when Gerber held onto the puck -- a replay can't award or disallow a goal.
So why did they award Hank that goal last month (hat trick game) when they reviewed it a couple of minutes later??? Why wouldn't they review the play at the stoppage of play in the case of the Blues? Edited by Gizmo

So why did they award Hank that goal last month (hat trick game) when they reviewed it a couple of minutes later??? Why wouldn't they review the play at the stoppage of play in the case of the Blues?

See what HoH said above.

That's what I get for skimming threads... but to my second question, why didn't they review it at the stoppage like they did in Phx?

Because play had already continued after the next stoppage and the play wasn't reviewed during that stoppage. In the Wings' case, the review was initiated right after the first whistle, which wasn't the case here.

Because play had already continued after the next stoppage and the play wasn't reviewed during that stoppage.
I understand that... My question was why didn't they bother to check the video when the play stopped? Was everyone on the ice (well, the officials and the Blues, anyway) clueless to the possibility that it might have gone in? Edited by Gizmo

I understand that... My question was why didn't they bother to check the video when the play stopped? Was everyone on the ice (well, the officials and the Blues, anyway) clueless to the possibility that it might have gone in?

I'm not sure but probably yes. Someone should have approached the refs about the review.