• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BlakChamber

Potential new arena location

Rate this topic

From today's Detroit News.

The owners of the Detroit Red Wings within weeks plan to tear down a vacant building in an area of downtown Detroit long rumored to be their preferred site for a new hockey arena.

Olympia Development, the real estate arm of Ilitch Holdings Inc., received a $104,500 state grant this morning to demolish the empty, dilapidated structure at 138 West Columbia.

The building is west of Park Street and several blocks west of the Woodward Avenue. Fox Theatre complex, where Ilitch Holdings Inc. is headquartered. Ilitch Holdings is controlled by Little Caesars co-founder Mike Ilitch, who also owns the Red Wings and the Detroit Tigers.

Full story.

From today's Detroit News.

Full story.

I took the liberty to look it up on Google Maps here is the link.

http://www.google.com/maps?q=138+W+Columbi...ap&ct=title

A new arena would be nice, but I like the location of the Joe. Right on the river, the new arena is just a ways down from Comerica, and Ford Field. Looks to be to cluttered. Hard decision.

I say we keep the Joe for a few more years :clap:

I made my first visit to the Joe last April and while I was in awe to finally be there, it wasn't the most visually pleasing arena I'd ever been in...the chairs weren't very comfortable...I think a new arena in the area near Ford Field and Comerica Park would be a great idea...now if we could get the Pistons to move downtown, we'd be all set!

Your link isn't linked.

Doh! It's fixed now.

Carry on.

They have to keep The Joe for a couple more years away since the lease isn't up until 2009 (I think) and it takes time to build a new arena.

Doh! It's fixed now.

Carry on.

They have to keep The Joe for a couple more years away since the lease isn't up until 2009 (I think) and it takes time to build a new arena.

lease? the wings own the joe don't they?

That would make a nice Comerica sandwich. Parking and traffic would be a concern, if there were 2 game on the same day. I'm sure I wouldn't mind if the Tigers were playing in October or the Wings were playing in June though.

Nope, I wouldn't, either. I love the idea of having a Detroit sports fan's mecca right there in that area. Everything's close, the bars/entertainment in that area is fantastic and will only get better. Besides, there's plenty of vacant lots across I-75 (condos, too, not sure how much conflict there would be there) if they want to build more concrete parking structures.

Nope, I wouldn't, either. I love the idea of having a Detroit sports fan's mecca right there in that area. Everything's close, the bars/entertainment in that area is fantastic and will only get better. Besides, there's plenty of vacant lots across I-75 (condos, too, not sure how much conflict there would be there) if they want to build more concrete parking structures.

All the rumors about a new arena I saw had the arena situated on the other side of Cass. Perhaps this is preparation for a parking structure that would service both Comerica and the new Arena?

2 questions

1. Would there be a new parking garage?

2. Any news on the attendance they would like to have in the new arena? I would like to see 30-35k, just so I have a better shot at tickets. But I think 50k would be possible in this town with the Wings fans if they stayed a contender. But I think I am dreaming.

2 questions

1. Would there be a new parking garage?

2. Any news on the attendance they would like to have in the new arena? I would like to see 30-35k, just so I have a better shot at tickets. But I think 50k would be possible in this town with the Wings fans if they stayed a contender. But I think I am dreaming.

1: Hard to say, considering a new arena hasn't even been announced yet.

2: See above.

I couldn't imagine a new arena being any bigger than 21-22 thousand people, tops. I believe Montreal has the largest arena in the league with over 21K.

While I am not one that typically supports new arenas, especially if taxpayer funded, the Joe has always sucked. There is one option for on- site parking, that takes eight hours to get out of and that drops out onto only a couple of roads. While there is ample space around the Joe for bars and restaurants, what is not occupied by river or cobo hall is an idiotic tangle of ramps and towers befitting a pinball game. Never has so many miles of pavement been laid down in such a useless configuration.

I rarely buy the argument that new arenas bring a windfall of business to the area, but in this case it seem reasonable. Barring that you arrived by bar bus or people mover, you have little choice after the game but to get in your car and drive home, if you do want a post game meal or drink, by the time you get out of the parking related traffic it's probably last call anyway. Putting a new arena near the others should give people driving in some more options when it comes to pre and post game activites.

I welcome the news that they might build a new arena, perhaps this time out of brick. The best news, by the time they get this place built, there won't be a business left in Detroit with enough money for naming rights! Go Olympia!

While I am not one that typically supports new arenas, especially if taxpayer funded, the Joe has always sucked. There is one option for on- site parking, that takes eight hours to get out of and that drops out onto only a couple of roads. While there is ample space around the Joe for bars and restaurants, what is not occupied by river or cobo hall is an idiotic tangle of ramps and towers befitting a pinball game. Never has so many miles of pavement been laid down in such a useless configuration.

I rarely buy the argument that new arenas bring a windfall of business to the area, but in this case it seem reasonable. Barring that you arrived by bar bus or people mover, you have little choice after the game but to get in your car and drive home, if you do want a post game meal or drink, by the time you get out of the parking related traffic it's probably last call anyway. Putting a new arena near the others should give people driving in some more options when it comes to pre and post game activites.

I welcome the news that they might build a new arena, perhaps this time out of brick. The best news, by the time they get this place built, there won't be a business left in Detroit with enough money for naming rights! Go Olympia!

Little Caeser's Colussuem >.>

Maybe Mr. Illitch is going to use my New Olympia Stadium plan (ha ha)! That building is right in the middle of the plot of land I described in my plan for a new Olympia Stadium. If you want to see the map, its at www.newolympia.blogspot.com. There is nothing particularly wrong with JLA building itself, but its like a stand alone fortress, cut off from the rest of town by the Lodge Fwy and Cobo Center. I think a new building is imminent.

As much as it pains me to say it...It might be time to build a new arena, not because the JOE is falling apart or anything (I don't think) but just to keep up with the times...the thing that scares me is that when they build a new arena they will probably name it somthing very commercial like, Pepsi Center, Nationwide Arena, American Airlines Center or Office Depot Center....that is somthing i'm not looking forward to :(

Edit: just looked it up for fun, here is the list of the 10 oldest arenas in the NHL,

PIT-Mellon Arena (1961)

NYR-Madison Square Garden (1968)

NYI-Nassau Veterans Coliseum (1972)

EDM-Rexall Place(1974)

DET-Joe Louis Arena (1979)

NJD-Continental Airlines Arena (1981)

CGY-Pengrowth Saddledome (1983)

DAL-America West Arena (1992)

ANA-Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim (1993)

SJS-HP Pavilion at San Jose (1993)

Edited by Elshupacabra

There was talk that the new arena would hold somewhere between 30-35 thousand, which would be awesome. The area around Comerica Park/Ford Field would be a great location. I really love going to JLA, even though it isn't anywhere near state-of-the-art, there are so many great memories in that building. Plus, whatever they name the new arena will sound nowhere as cool as saying "I'm going to the Joe."

Guest LivingtheDream

I took the liberty to look it up on Google Maps here is the link.

http://www.google.com/maps?q=138+W+Columbi...ap&ct=title

A new arena would be nice, but I like the location of the Joe. Right on the river, the new arena is just a ways down from Comerica, and Ford Field. Looks to be to cluttered. Hard decision.

Uh, maybe the river would be better served, for, gee, how about a place people can hang out!!! For crying out loud people, successful cities have a thriving public and ACCESSIBLE water front. The Ren Cen, Joe Louis and more have KILLED Detroit and downtown. Go to Chicago. See all the people. See all the commerce. See all the smiling faces, money, prosperity.

1: Hard to say, considering a new arena hasn't even been announced yet.

2: See above.

I couldn't imagine a new arena being any bigger than 21-22 thousand people, tops. I believe Montreal has the largest arena in the league with over 21K.

So what Montreal has the biggest, that doesn't matter. They sell out every night and they are a mediocre team. But the Wings are an elite team, even when they are on the road they sell out buildings that are half empty every other night. I think 40k is a reasonable number considering the selling power of the Wings. That would also allow for lower ticket prices (if Illitch gives the fans a break and decides not all of us are rich).

All I am saying is that more than 20,066 people want to go to a Wings game, and the max. attendance should show that. More seats = more $ for Illitch.