• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Legionnaire11

LGW Fit Club

Rate this topic

Just had another instance of really being able to experience my weight loss, like pants fitting that didn't fit before.

A few years ago, before he had returned to the Wings, I snagged an Ozzie jersey on eBay. Unfortunately, I didn't practice the whole "reading is fundamental" thing and the jersey I won happened to be a size medium. But it was only about $30, so it wasn't a big deal - it was still an Ozzie jersey (only one I had up to that point was an Isles Ozzie jersey). Tried it on when I got it and it was extremely snug. Not comfortable at all. So back to the closet it went...until today. Just for s***s and giggles, I figured I'd try it on.

Fits beautifully now. :D

eddy_ozzie-jersey.jpg

Awesome stuff Edi :)

I was about 155-160 in high school, and I'm 5'10"-ish. Then I got a job sitting on my butt (as opposed to playing Volleyball/Soccer) and met my husband who is a total glutton (he's not fat or anything :P but he's of the opinion "If you want something - have it") and I went up to 165-170. Got pregnant with my daughter (OUCH x_x) and the day before I had her I was at 225. I'm floating around 208 last I weighed myself (my scale is packed away until I buy my house, so who knows right now. Probably close..). I still really wanna drop that extra weight though. I don't *look* fat or overweight or anything, but I've had a bad knee from soccer and that is where I feel the extra weight the most.

So the past 2 weeks I've been talking to a friend who's trying to slim down, and we both decided the best overall body workout was swimming. It works a lot of muscle groups, cardio, and with my knee - it's super low impact. I got real concerned and bummed because I couldn't get back into running like when I played soccer, jumping up with intramural volleyball, or weight machining at the gym because the impact is just brutal sometimes. So swimming has become a GREAT alternative. It's even better because I get discounted membership at the gym because it's a city gym and I work for the city government.

I went today, for the first time since we talked about it and it felt awesome. I definitely felt the intensity, and it didn't feel like a chore like some weight machines/etc can feel like.

Now I'm going to go back and continue reading this to see where else I can improve :P I cut out soda about 2 months ago (caved 2 weeks ago after I had a bowling tournament and hadn't eaten for 24 hours; so I grabbed a root beer there. It lacks the caffeine, so that's at least better than like.. Mountain Dew or Pepsi :)) but I still feel there's gotta be more areas I can hit in the nutritional department.

I applaud you Edi! Nice work!

On the same note, I just added 10 pairs of pants back into my work clothing rotation and 4 pairs are awaiting re-entry. In just another 3lbs they will fit. I can't wait :)

I moved the extra tiny clothing to the other closet so I can look at one stack of clothes first! :)

Wow what a great feeling :)

Just had another instance of really being able to experience my weight loss, like pants fitting that didn't fit before.

A few years ago, before he had returned to the Wings, I snagged an Ozzie jersey on eBay. Unfortunately, I didn't practice the whole "reading is fundamental" thing and the jersey I won happened to be a size medium. But it was only about $30, so it wasn't a big deal - it was still an Ozzie jersey (only one I had up to that point was an Isles Ozzie jersey). Tried it on when I got it and it was extremely snug. Not comfortable at all. So back to the closet it went...until today. Just for s***s and giggles, I figured I'd try it on.

Fits beautifully now. :D

eddy_ozzie-jersey.jpg

Lookin' slim. ;)

I applaud you Edi! Nice work!

On the same note, I just added 10 pairs of pants back into my work clothing rotation and 4 pairs are awaiting re-entry. In just another 3lbs they will fit. I can't wait :)

I moved the extra tiny clothing to the other closet so I can look at one stack of clothes first! :)

Wow what a great feeling :)

Excellent.

Today was probably my best workout in forever. I lifted weights very hard early this morning for about 45 minutes, then worked on cardio/EFX machine for a half hour late this afternoon and just about killed 430 calories in just a half-hour of work. That's about as fast/intense I can go with some consistency.

I'll be running in a 5-mile race in all likelihood on Thanksgiving that I've done plenty before. Running 5 miles isn't all that difficult for me, but I want to try to do it in about an 8 1/2 minute pace. I want to get close to 40 minutes running as best I can, but realistically I want to try to get done in 42 - 43 minutes.

I'm still trying to get the guts to possibly run a half-marathon in February.

Went to Kohl's today to check out their current sale and hopefully find some jeans that fit me. Found out that I've dropped not one, but two pants sizes. Also found out that a medium button up shirt fits pretty nicely now (as opposed to my previous L/XL). Guess that's what happens when one's gut begins to disappear. :P

Had to start clearing out my closet of shirts, etc. that I'm practically swimming in now. Kinda sucks to have to get rid of all that stuff (giving it to the 'rents, they love hand-me-downs :P), but it just doesn't fit anymore.

Went to Kohl's today to check out their current sale and hopefully find some jeans that fit me. Found out that I've dropped not one, but two pants sizes. Also found out that a medium button up shirt fits pretty nicely now (as opposed to my previous L/XL). Guess that's what happens when one's gut begins to disappear. :P

Had to start clearing out my closet of shirts, etc. that I'm practically swimming in now. Kinda sucks to have to get rid of all that stuff (giving it to the 'rents, they love hand-me-downs :P), but it just doesn't fit anymore.

Congrats!! That's awesome - buying new clothes and getting rid of the oversized stuff is one of the funnest things about losing weight. Even for guys I guess. ;)

Congrats!! That's awesome - buying new clothes and getting rid of the oversized stuff is one of the funnest things about losing weight. Even for guys I guess. ;)

I need someone to come help me throw things out and give away stuff. I've lost enough that I am "finding" lots of nice things I can wear again... but scared to get rid of the 'fat' clothes. That's not good, I need to do it and lose the security blanket/closet. I am not planning to go back, and didn't mean to this time around. Incorrectly prescribed medication made me gain 25 pounds. A change in meds + hiring a trainer and working out 6x a week have reversed that process. Yay!

It occurs to me that the items I need to purge are really not 'fat' clothes. I used to wear 10's and 12's, and now I wear 6's and 8's again... but I realize wearing a size 12 doesn't mean the wearer is fat. I am not happy at that size, but that's just me. I know plenty of ladies who can wear the clothes I have un-grown, and they look fabulous!!

I used to shop with a friend who struggles to maintain 100 pounds, and wears a petite size 0 or 2. We would pick up the same item, as we have similar tastes... and she would frown and say, "I love this, but the only one I can find is HUGE!" She would be holding a size 8. :lol: I would point out that I could wear it... therefore... I am huge? She never meant anything by it, for sure. But I realized then that what is big to one person is perfect for another.

I try to base my happiness about my body on what looks good on me and how I feel best. But it is hard to ignore all the media which tells us all, we are not good enough because we don't look a certain way or wear a certain size. Periodically, I see articles where someone says that trend of perfectionism re: body image is reversing, but it's still pretty ingrained in North America, I'd say.

I like the show "What Not to Wear," for a lot of reasons, but mainly because the hosts say, 'dress the body you own, not the one you plan to have or are wishing for." :thumbup:

Those of us who are trying, daily, to maintain or attain certain goals regarding our health and fitness are ahead of the curve, so to speak. I wish everyone did this, but certainly not everyone does or physically is able to do what I do. I thank the maker everyday, that I am physically capable of working out and have just enough means to be able to afford to apply a couple of bucks to build and maintain my health.

We've been pulling tires, and throwing them and doing all sort of outdoor stuff at my gym, sort of fitness boot camp. I love it! I am such a tom-boy, my trainer loves it that I don't care if I get filthy playing outside. :hehe: We are blessed to have such wonderful weather, we can still go outside, even if it does get dark too soon.

Hope you all are having a great weekend!! xo, looo

I need someone to come help me throw things out and give away stuff. I've lost enough that I am "finding" lots of nice things I can wear again... but scared to get rid of the 'fat' clothes. That's not good, I need to do it and lose the security blanket/closet. I am not planning to go back, and didn't mean to this time around. Incorrectly prescribed medication made me gain 25 pounds. A change in meds + hiring a trainer and working out 6x a week have reversed that process. Yay!

It occurs to me that the items I need to purge are really not 'fat' clothes. I used to wear 10's and 12's, and now I wear 6's and 8's again... but I realize wearing a size 12 doesn't mean the wearer is fat. I am not happy at that size, but that's just me. I know plenty of ladies who can wear the clothes I have un-grown, and they look fabulous!!

I used to shop with a friend who struggles to maintain 100 pounds, and wears a petite size 0 or 2. We would pick up the same item, as we have similar tastes... and she would frown and say, "I love this, but the only one I can find is HUGE!" She would be holding a size 8. :lol: I would point out that I could wear it... therefore... I am huge? She never meant anything by it, for sure. But I realized then that what is big to one person is perfect for another.

I try to base my happiness about my body on what looks good on me and how I feel best. But it is hard to ignore all the media which tells us all, we are not good enough because we don't look a certain way or wear a certain size. Periodically, I see articles where someone says that trend of perfectionism re: body image is reversing, but it's still pretty ingrained in North America, I'd say.

I like the show "What Not to Wear," for a lot of reasons, but mainly because the hosts say, 'dress the body you own, not the one you plan to have or are wishing for." :thumbup:

Those of us who are trying, daily, to maintain or attain certain goals regarding our health and fitness are ahead of the curve, so to speak. I wish everyone did this, but certainly not everyone does or physically is able to do what I do. I thank the maker everyday, that I am physically capable of working out and have just enough means to be able to afford to apply a couple of bucks to build and maintain my health.

We've been pulling tires, and throwing them and doing all sort of outdoor stuff at my gym, sort of fitness boot camp. I love it! I am such a tom-boy, my trainer loves it that I don't care if I get filthy playing outside. :hehe: We are blessed to have such wonderful weather, we can still go outside, even if it does get dark too soon.

Hope you all are having a great weekend!! xo, looo

You have done great. I for one think it's an important step to get rid of your old clothes. Then you have no excuse to ever be able to go back up to that size. And you deserve it after all of your hard work. Make it a good thing - especially if you donate your clothes. There's someone out there that can use them and you will never wear them again. Celebrate your success!!

*shameless bragging post* :P

Today I accomplished a new personal best. I killed 450 calories flat in 30 minutes of cardio work. To say I was gassed out and the end of the exercise is an understatement.

And, all of that work is gone now thanks to a pizza I ate for dinner and beer I am currently drinking. :D

So I think I can officially say I'm down 20 pounds from when I started. Took me a little longer than I wanted, but here I am, about 172 pounds. I don't think I've been down that far for, maybe, five or six years? I know this, once I get below 170 that's definitely about a seven-year milestone. I haven't had to buy any new clothes but on the plus side, my gut no longer feels like it's been released from prison when I undo my belt at the end of the day.

About 15 more pounds to go, I think.

So I think I can officially say I'm down 20 pounds from when I started. Took me a little longer than I wanted, but here I am, about 172 pounds. I don't think I've been down that far for, maybe, five or six years? I know this, once I get below 170 that's definitely about a seven-year milestone. I haven't had to buy any new clothes but on the plus side, my gut no longer feels like it's been released from prison when I undo my belt at the end of the day.

About 15 more pounds to go, I think.

Yay - congrats!! That's awesome - especially because you were struggling which makes it even harder to want to stick with it when you feel like you aren't getting results.

Oh, I officially suck at eating right. But, I'm running a 25K (couple miles more than a 1/2 marathon) in May and training starts the first week of December. I'm just going to train for that and if I lose a few pounds in the process - super. If not, oh well.

Yay - congrats!! That's awesome - especially because you were struggling which makes it even harder to want to stick with it when you feel like you aren't getting results.

It's weird. I stay at the same weight for weeks. Then between Monday and Friday, I'll drop like four or five pounds and then stay at that new weight for six more weeks. I've been hovering at 172 or so for about three weeks now. Before that I was around 177 for like a month and a half.

It's weird. I stay at the same weight for weeks. Then between Monday and Friday, I'll drop like four or five pounds and then stay at that new weight for six more weeks. I've been hovering at 172 or so for about three weeks now. Before that I was around 177 for like a month and a half.

you are doing great, red. It sounds like you are losing gradually and that's good. Watch out for the mashed 'taters this week, ok? ;)

I am "stuck" after losing 25 pounds, but now find that I have to watch out for what I think is a sort of over-confidence on my part. I know I can't eat whatever I want, but I find myself making little excuses, like ... well, a couple of bites of cake won't hurt me. Yes, it will. People keep saying how skinny I am. I'm not, really. Just relative to where I was, I am thinner. Or maybe my image of myself is just so screwed up, I don't see the progress others do?

I still train hard, and my trainer is very good at thinking up new things so I don't get bored. Last night, we were outside running sprints and intervals. I h-a-t-e running. Hate it. He knows it. But, it was good for me to try something I don't like, and was actually OK at.

Anyway, I need to get back on track - no pun intended - and not use this holiday (four days) away from my gym as an excuse. I know I will pay for it and be mad at myself.

Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving, everyone!! xoxo, loooo

I am "stuck" after losing 25 pounds, but now find that I have to watch out for what I think is a sort of over-confidence on my part. I know I can't eat whatever I want, but I find myself making little excuses, like ... well, a couple of bites of cake won't hurt me. Yes, it will. People keep saying how skinny I am. I'm not, really. Just relative to where I was, I am thinner. Or maybe my image of myself is just so screwed up, I don't see the progress others do?

In the same boat as you, loo. I don't quite see myself as "skinny" yet; relative to 50 lbs ago, yes, but I've still got toning work to do and I know that. Or my self-image is messed up a bit too (which wouldn't surprise me, self-image and self-esteem issues haunting me for the past decade plus :P).

In the same boat as you, loo. I don't quite see myself as "skinny" yet; relative to 50 lbs ago, yes, but I've still got toning work to do and I know that. Or my self-image is messed up a bit too (which wouldn't surprise me, self-image and self-esteem issues haunting me for the past decade plus :P).

I think you look like a smokin' stud, Edi... you look great! I do understand, though. I ahve struggled with weight and body image issues my entire life -- since I was 12 and realized I weighed more than a lot of the boyz I thought were cute. I am a "normal" weight now, and wear clothing sizes smaller than most, if you believe the stats which say the average American woman is a size 12 and weighs 150 pounds. Jeans in size 6 or 8 are actually quite acceptable to most women I know. Oddly, I still don't feel smaller, even though my old fat clothes fall off of me now.

Isn't that weird what our minds do to us? When I watch myself in the mirror, doing lat pull-downs, all I see is flabby arms, not the muscles and tone that I didn't have previously. I am extremely critical of myself, and I bet you are the same. I have a great trainer who brags on my progress and continues to challenge me. I can't really afford him, with things the way they are right now... but I am not sure I can do without him, either. I guess I will continue on course and throw money at this, but I really need to re-double the commitment to diet.

This is a bad time of year for that sort of thing, I know. :lol:

OK LGW Fitties! It's the holidays!!! Enjoy it but don't be overly indulgent!! Everything in moderation and the next few weeks will be a breeze. I think the biggest thing I've discovered over the past several months is the actual value of the calories. I've been in the mind set that if I can't burn it I am not going to eat it.

I added a second dance class in on Monday mornings (which brings my total hours of dance per week to 6?), and this coming Thursday before all the festivities take place I'm going to hit the gym.

I've made huge lifestyle changes since I was given permission to start exercising again. I finally feel GOOD again. I hated being inactive and being forced to stay off my foot. Nothing's going to stop me now! Keep up the exercise and don't do the same exercises -your body gets too used to it - Variety is the spice of life!!!! :)

I will say snacking all day in minor caloric content has really changed the hunger and how much I eat in any given meal. I do spurlge once in a while but I make sure it's controlled. I always think about what I've consumed during the day and how much longer I have to go. I've also started eating before my early evening dance classes.

Keep up the good work everyone - Edi...you seriously look great - PLEASE SMILE IN ALL YOUR NEXT PICTURES...it will make you feel better. I smile when I look in the mirror now especially knowing the road it took to get here and how much I've suffered without exercise, eating healthy etc.

Loo - you look KILLER -- when you showed your picture (finally) I was like are you kidding me - you look FANTASTIC!! BRTD - you need to get a picture up here too or at least send me one :)

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone, you've worked SO HARD and you deserve to enjoy!!!

Next time you pass a mirror - SMILE at yourself!!!! And do this every time...even if you have to force yourself at first.

Keep up the good work everyone - Edi...you seriously look great - PLEASE SMILE IN ALL YOUR NEXT PICTURES...it will make you feel better. I smile when I look in the mirror now especially knowing the road it took to get here and how much I've suffered without exercise, eating healthy etc.

Wait until I get the braces off. :lol:

But thank you nonetheless!

Funny thing today..., I just got (jokingly) yelled at by a (skinny, in my opinion) student on campus that I had in a couple Japanese classes, to the tune of, "Dude, stop losing weight! You're making ME feel fat! I mean, you weren't even that heavy before, but...but...damn!"

:lol:

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone, you've worked SO HARD and you deserve to enjoy!!!

Next time you pass a mirror - SMILE at yourself!!!! And do this every time...even if you have to force yourself at first.

We are "Fitties" not Fatties!! Love it!!

Edi, your smile is great, with or without the heavy metal. I love the student comment, too... see, everyone is noticing you wasting away!

ViB, you're the best, as are all the LGW Fitties. Great advice, to keep smiling. It makes everyone wonder what you're up to. :)

Happy Turkey Day, all!! xoxoox

Edited by puckloo39

Nothing really out of the ordinary my end in terms of weight. I wouldn't mind losing a few but I'm still in a very healthy weight range. I just need to get the punk who bought the baked cookies in at work today, I ate at least 10 of them, they were damned good. I'm not a big guy but I ALWAYS have a large appetite. :P

In terms of fit/exercise, I'm doing a 5-mile run on Thursday and am hoping to do it in under 42 minutes, but that's probably a little too unrealistic.

Well, under 42 minutes was definitely not realistic. I ran a 5-mile run today in 43:30, around 8:42 a mile. Not too bad, I was getting destroyed by everybody who were serious runners and ran cross country and stuff at the beginning of the race, but I still had a lot of gas left in the tank towards the end and started picking my pace up passing people who were starting to tire.

I just want to get my hands on one of my cousins who ran the race who is only 13 I think. He ran it in 38 minutes, the punk. :P

Nevertheless, I want to run faster and want to try to run in more events like this. I might do a 10K race (6.3 miles) in mid-December, and a half-marathon (13.1 miles) in the beginning of February. I know I am in plenty of shape to run over 6 miles without any problems. 13 miles in one setting, I'm not so sure.

I just hope I still have the want to do stuff like this after just today and to train for these things just about every day, it'd definitely help me in the mental aspect just as much as the physical right now as I'm having a hard time coping with a lot of personal issues lately.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Finally hit my secondary goal today - 175 lbs.

My primary goal was being able to get myself down below 200 lbs. before X-Mas and I hit that at the end of September.

Still wouldn't mind losing a bit more, but right now my main concern is to tone away what remains of my gut. I've worked my way up to 60 jackknife exercises every (weekday) morning, but I wouldn't mind any other tummy-toning suggestions that anyone else here may have. I'm not expecting an overnight miracle, obviously - certainly didn't happen with my weight loss - but I'd like something that specifically targets that problem area.

My primary goal was being able to get myself down below 200 lbs. before X-Mas and I hit that at the end of September.

Still wouldn't mind losing a bit more, but right now my main concern is to tone away what remains of my gut. I've worked my way up to 60 jackknife exercises every (weekday) morning, but I wouldn't mind any other tummy-toning suggestions that anyone else here may have. I'm not expecting an overnight miracle, obviously - certainly didn't happen with my weight loss - but I'd like something that specifically targets that problem area.

Congrats again Edi - you're doing awesome!

I've definitely gained - not sure how much, I'm afraid to weigh myself - maybe 10 pounds since May?

But, my training started yesterday for my 25 K (15.1 miles) so hopefully if I stick to that schedule and maybe watch what I eat a little more I'll go back down or at least maintain. Weight loss is not my ultimate goal though - I just want to work on my time for the race!

Well, under 42 minutes was definitely not realistic. I ran a 5-mile run today in 43:30, around 8:42 a mile. Not too bad, I was getting destroyed by everybody who were serious runners and ran cross country and stuff at the beginning of the race, but I still had a lot of gas left in the tank towards the end and started picking my pace up passing people who were starting to tire.

I just want to get my hands on one of my cousins who ran the race who is only 13 I think. He ran it in 38 minutes, the punk. :P

Nevertheless, I want to run faster and want to try to run in more events like this. I might do a 10K race (6.3 miles) in mid-December, and a half-marathon (13.1 miles) in the beginning of February. I know I am in plenty of shape to run over 6 miles without any problems. 13 miles in one setting, I'm not so sure.

I just hope I still have the want to do stuff like this after just today and to train for these things just about every day, it'd definitely help me in the mental aspect just as much as the physical right now as I'm having a hard time coping with a lot of personal issues lately.

That's a great time!

If you are going to do a 10K or half-marathon, you should definitely look at some training schedules. Your particular race may have one or you could google search for one. If you are doing a half-marathon in February you should begin training immediately - most marathon/half-marathon training begin 4 or 5 months before the race.

I've got several Edi - get yourself an exercise ball

http://www.exerciseballworkouts.net/

This website has some amazing picture by picture illustrations for you to compare to. My personal trainer basically put me on this thing ALL the time. UGH. I normally love it for situps/half crunches because you seriously have to use your stomach muscles to get up and down. Make sure you always leave your head dropped back and your chin to the ceiling - ALWAYS...

There's even video here for these - http://www.exerciseballworkouts.net/core-a...ll-workout.html

There's a couple of plank exercises too...they are so freaking difficult - we do them in dance.

Here's the plank -

Side Plank -

Side Plank -

OK and if you're really insane like my dance teacher - all these gets put together with a few others and we have to do them consecutively - it's like 10 minutes straight where we start with the plank - hold for 16 counts, then lift one foot off the floor, then switch, then we side plank and drop our hips for 16 counts, then pulse our hips (dropping the hips to the floor using your core to pull yourself back up again) for 16 counts, then switching sides, then back to the right, twisting with our left elbow to the floor and up again, then holding it for 16 counts, then switching to the other side, then holding the plank (also this isn't on a bent elbow with your elbow and forearm on the floor - it's with the support of ONLY your hand on the floor, then back to plank - holding it for 16 then twisting your hips side to side (touching the floor with your right hipbone/side, then the left hipbone side. Then holding it for another 32 counts. I think I'm leaving something out - but you get the slight idea that it's HARD... :)