• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Legionnaire11

LGW Fit Club

Rate this topic

I've been working out at Curves 3 days a week since September. I can't tell any big difference in the scale, but I'm dropping inches. And since they tell me that muscle weighs more than fat, and I am definetely building muscle, that explains the scale not moving very much. That's ok. I don't care too much about what I weigh. Just don't wanna look like it! :D

eat A cookie? As in one? :o Inconceivable.

Sorry about your job situation, DK. :( I will hope for you to find something worthy of your time and talents, very soon.

Oh no no no.......thank you for the thought, but (I'm not sure what you know about building a house), but when the tapers come in, we gotta get ALL the tools out and ALL the lumber out, so see? That's usually the deal.

Gotta be outta work for awhile.

I'll be back for the finish work.

Just boring in the meantime.

Oh no no no.......thank you for the thought, but (I'm not sure what you know about building a house), but when the tapers come in, we gotta get ALL the tools out and ALL the lumber out, so see? That's usually the deal.

Gotta be outta work for awhile.

I'll be back for the finish work.

Just boring in the meantime.

Oh, good... I would go eat a (bag of) cookie/s, then, and celebrate. Glad you're OK! :thumbup:

I know nothing about building houses - except I wish you were here to help me replace the windows on my little old house. Oy... so confusing. You don't want to be here, though. 102 degrees again today and tomorrow. I am afraid to look at the rest of the week's forecast. <_<

The processed foods are gonna have to stay, though. By the time I get home from working out, it's usually at least quarter to six and I don't want to spend a lot of time in the evening cooking.

Ok, now I'm just going to pick on you. :P

I certainly don't work out every day or cook dinner every day, but here's a quote that motivates me:

"Someone busier than you is working out right now"

Same could apply to cooking - Someone busier than you is cooking a healthy dinner right now.

I don't know, for whatever reason I have always been turned off by frozen meals (aside from frozen pizza). I feel better when I'm eating cleaner, but do what works for you and good luck.

I've been working out at Curves 3 days a week since September. I can't tell any big difference in the scale, but I'm dropping inches. And since they tell me that muscle weighs more than fat, and I am definetely building muscle, that explains the scale not moving very much. That's ok. I don't care too much about what I weigh. Just don't wanna look like it! :D

Great job! Inches totally matter more than fat!

And, it's actually a myth that muscle weighs more than fat. A pound is a pound, whether that pound is made of muscle or fat it still weighs a pound. You can't gain muscle easily either - at least not anything that would add a significant amount of weight.

But I agree, weight can be frustrating and not reflect your effort - inches are a much better measure of how you're doing!

Just weighed myself today and I've finally knocked myself down to 220 - before this, I was constantly hovering between 225 and 235 for at least the past couple of years, usually at the higher end of things (with 245 being my worst). A combination of Wii Fit and Daily Plate are working some magic for me!

Just weighed myself today and I've finally knocked myself down to 220 - before this, I was constantly hovering between 225 and 235 for at least the past couple of years, usually at the higher end of things (with 245 being my worst). A combination of Wii Fit and Daily Plate are working some magic for me!

Yay!! Congrats!

And, it's actually a myth that muscle weighs more than fat. A pound is a pound, whether that pound is made of muscle or fat it still weighs a pound. You can't gain muscle easily either - at least not anything that would add a significant amount of weight.

Well.....it's not really a myth. A pound of feathers is the same as a pound of bricks, yes, but you wouldn't say "feathers weigh the same as bricks." Muscle is still heavier.

However, because it's heavier and denser than fat, it takes A LOT more work to add a pound of muscle than to burn off a pound of fat.

where is everybody? :) Just got home from the gym (aerobic workout day) and seem to have stabilized somewhat on the weightloss. Initially lost 6 pounds on new medication, but lost only one so far this week. That's OK with me, though. It didn't take me a few days to gain this extra adipose -- I don't expect to lose it in a few.

Although, that would be nice. :D

6 pounds is good.

I've actually been able to pull off double-duty workouts on somewhat of a consistent basis these past two weeks usually lifting weights early in the morning and doing cardio work/jogging late in the afternoons, but I'm going to start flip-flopping that around since it is pretty much in the peak hot period down here and the temperature won't really go down all that much until late September probably.

I have really been focusing hard though on lifting weights on my upper body since I've pretty much always been a shrimp in life. Gotta impress the ladies (and some men I guess, assuming they prefer that route :P). I typically do yard work once a week for a few hours that I consider that a workout in itself since it is usually so warm down here.

All in all along with my normal eating habits I pretty much am maintaining my weight which is what I want to do.

If there is something that I will always take pride in and hopefully never do at all in the near future while I'm still young, is not have fun or make it sound like a chore to maintain my health or weight bu taking any special supplements or pills or following formal/special diets with rules on what you can eat or not eat or weight building/control products. Just my own decisions what to eat or drink and exercising when I want and not taking anything that might do more harm than good. Thankfully it has done me good so far I think.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

where is everybody? :) Just got home from the gym (aerobic workout day) and seem to have stabilized somewhat on the weightloss. Initially lost 6 pounds on new medication, but lost only one so far this week. That's OK with me, though. It didn't take me a few days to gain this extra adipose -- I don't expect to lose it in a few.

Although, that would be nice. :D

6 pounds is awesome!!

I worked out this morning. I have only ran twice in the past 2 weeks (since we got the pup). I'm trying to get back into a routine.

I did make some delicious turkey meatballs last night, turkey burgers on Tuesday (that my hubby loved - even though he made fun of me for using turkey and not beef) and I think I'm going to do turkey chili tonight. Ground turkey is buy one get one free this week if you couldn't tell.

6 pounds is awesome!!

I worked out this morning. I have only ran twice in the past 2 weeks (since we got the pup). I'm trying to get back into a routine.

I did make some delicious turkey meatballs last night, turkey burgers on Tuesday (that my hubby loved - even though he made fun of me for using turkey and not beef) and I think I'm going to do turkey chili tonight. Ground turkey is buy one get one free this week if you couldn't tell.

thanks!! :) I am much encouraged, with the new meds and all. My trainer thinks I am much more capable than I probably really am, but he knows to give me a challenge. I am a bit competitive, even if it is only with myself. :blush: I have gone from lifting 10 pound dumbells, 2 sets of 10, to 20 pounders 3 sets of 15 in three weeks. I can tell my balance and coordination is much better in less than a month.

I am stoked. Like Jack, I don't want my gym routine to be a chore, nor do I want to get obsessed with it -- although that is my tendency. My trainer makes me take a day off (Friday) with no wieghts and no aerobics. But, also like Jack, I take that day to go home after work and mow the lawn, wash the car, clean the house, and do all sorts of chores outside in the 100 degree heat. I count that as a workout (and usually add a 3 mile walk to it, for good measure).

I asked said trainer if all those chores and sweating and labor counted as a work-out. He responded: "well, it counts as work." :lol:

Turkey burgers.... good idea. I am making my grocery list for next week. Might have to try some of that!

thanks!! :) I am much encouraged, with the new meds and all. My trainer thinks I am much more capable than I probably really am, but he knows to give me a challenge. I am a bit competitive, even if it is only with myself. :blush: I have gone from lifting 10 pound dumbells, 2 sets of 10, to 20 pounders 3 sets of 15 in three weeks. I can tell my balance and coordination is much better in less than a month.

I am stoked. Like Jack, I don't want my gym routine to be a chore, nor do I want to get obsessed with it -- although that is my tendency. My trainer makes me take a day off (Friday) with no wieghts and no aerobics. But, also like Jack, I take that day to go home after work and mow the lawn, wash the car, clean the house, and do all sorts of chores outside in the 100 degree heat. I count that as a workout (and usually add a 3 mile walk to it, for good measure).

I asked said trainer if all those chores and sweating and labor counted as a work-out. He responded: "well, it counts as work." :lol:

Turkey burgers.... good idea. I am making my grocery list for next week. Might have to try some of that!

They are soooo good, the recipe I use is a little spicy, and I love it. Here's the recipe, super easy:

1 pound ground turkey

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon dried minced onion (optional)

1 egg

dash of salt

Mix all the ingredients together - recipe makes 4 patties but I have also halved it just to make 2.

Grill for about 5 minutes on each side on high heat on the grill.

Oh, and I agree that you should always have a rest day! Back when I was actually working out more, I'd always take Sunday off. :)

They are soooo good, the recipe I use is a little spicy, and I love it. Here's the recipe, super easy:

1 pound ground turkey

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon dried minced onion (optional)

1 egg

dash of salt

Mix all the ingredients together - recipe makes 4 patties but I have also halved it just to make 2.

Grill for about 5 minutes on each side on high heat on the grill.

Oh, and I agree that you should always have a rest day! Back when I was actually working out more, I'd always take Sunday off. :)

I made the turkey burgers, or rather, I made them into meatballs and baked them. I have a grill, but it's 106 degrees outside here. I could just set them outside and they would grill themselves, I guess. :o

Here's a variation of turkey meat patties or meatballs.

Italian turkey meatballs

1 pound ground turkey

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 tablespoon dried dry parsley (or 1/4 cup fresh)

1/2 tsp dried oregano

1 teaspoon dried minced onion (optional, but I always add it)

1/2 cup fine bread crumbs

1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

1 egg

dash of salt and pepper

Mix together and shape into 1 1/2 inch meatballs. Bake at 400 degrees, until they are brown and no longer pink in the middle. You can also fry them in a skillet with a little olive oil, if you prefer.

I make these to take to work for lunch. Salad and meatballs as an entree... yum!

Hope you all like them, too!

I made the turkey burgers, or rather, I made them into meatballs and baked them. I have a grill, but it's 106 degrees outside here. I could just set them outside and they would grill themselves, I guess.

Good Christ. It's no wonder I will NEVER live in the South.

Anyway, progress report. Tried the Daily Plate like I said I would, but I can't remember to do it every day. Just can't do it. Also, it doesn't really cover some of what I eat. For example, they have these really good buffalo chicken wraps in the cafeteria at work, but Daily Plate doesn't cover it. I have no idea what to enter for these things. They've got buffalo chicken wraps ranging from 300 calories all the way up to 900. (I went with 450. Wild guess.)

I did measure out how much cereal I'm eating in the usual bowl. Turns out a bowl of cereal and milk is like 500 calories. Theoretically then I should lose a pound a week just by having gotten rid of that second bowl. So hopefully I'll be seeing some results from that. This week was actually pretty good in that department. I weighed in at about 187-188 most of the time instead of 190-191. So maybe things are looking up. Not the first time I've dropped a few pounds this summer though.....most of the time, only to see them come right back somehow.

Oh, good... I would go eat a (bag of) cookie/s, then, and celebrate. Glad you're OK! :thumbup:

I know nothing about building houses - except I wish you were here to help me replace the windows on my little old house. Oy... so confusing. You don't want to be here, though. 102 degrees again today and tomorrow. I am afraid to look at the rest of the week's forecast. <_<

I don't wanna sound like a smartass - but I can't help it - some are born into money, some into smartass.

Take the old window OUT. And put the new window in.

4' level, catspaw, a recip saw and yer done. Oh and some flashing. Flash from the bottom up.

What kind of siding does your 'lil house have? This may require more work than you know.

::::::EDIT::::::::::

Yer gonna need a bundle of shims.

And.......Ah f*** it........I'll be right over.

Edited by DaKineMaui

I don't wanna sound like a smartass - but I can't help it - some are born into money, some into smartass.

Take the old window OUT. And put the new window in.

4' level, catspaw, a recip saw and yer done. Oh and some flashing. Flash from the bottom up.

What kind of siding does your 'lil house have? This may require more work than you know.

::::::EDIT::::::::::

Yer gonna need a bundle of shims.

And.......Ah f*** it........I'll be right over.

my hero! :wub:

I can do lots of stuff, DKM, but I'm a woman, alone with this house. I think I would wind up with a hole in the wall of my house, and have to pay someone even more to fix it. :lol:

What's a catspaw, aside from the obvious (a paw attached to a kittycat). :huh:

On the weather front here in "New Iraq" (Austin), there's a tropical storm headed for Louisiana coast which maybe, sometimes, means rain for us. Bulls***, I say. It's not going to rain again here. Maybe in November or December, if we're lucky.

Thank goodness for my little gym, the one with air conditioning. I was watching some guys this weekend out there in the black asphalt parking lot, doing some ironman thing where they had truck tires harnessed to chains, and they were pulling them across the lot... in the blazing sun. Retarded. Sorry, there's something wrong with them! Then, I glanced back out, and they had attached the chain to the pickup truck with the big tires in it, and were pulling to around the parking lot!

Wow. OK, then... :o

Edited by puckloo39

About a month and a half ago I started to truly increase gym time. I was still gaining muscle but not losing fat. So I included about an hour to and hour and half of Cardio each day, plus I lift for about 1.5 to 2 hrs. I went from a bad 228 to 207 in about a month. Then I platued on weight lose, which started to frustrate me to no end. So I decided to take Hydroxicut Hardcore to boost through the plane. So far it has not worked on weight lose. I had a goal of under 200 by September. While my weight platued (so spelling that wrong) I still lost BF%. I went from 28% to 21% in about a month and a half. Unfortunatly I have hit yet another injury while slipping and sliding at my neice and nephews birthday yesterday and messed up my foot. Luckily no breaks but tendon damage is very possible. Go figure.

6 pounds is good.

I've actually been able to pull off double-duty workouts on somewhat of a consistent basis these past two weeks usually lifting weights early in the morning and doing cardio work/jogging late in the afternoons, but I'm going to start flip-flopping that around since it is pretty much in the peak hot period down here and the temperature won't really go down all that much until late September probably.

I have really been focusing hard though on lifting weights on my upper body since I've pretty much always been a shrimp in life. Gotta impress the ladies (and some men I guess, assuming they prefer that route :P). I typically do yard work once a week for a few hours that I consider that a workout in itself since it is usually so warm down here.

All in all along with my normal eating habits I pretty much am maintaining my weight which is what I want to do.

If there is something that I will always take pride in and hopefully never do at all in the near future while I'm still young, is not have fun or make it sound like a chore to maintain my health or weight bu taking any special supplements or pills or following formal/special diets with rules on what you can eat or not eat or weight building/control products. Just my own decisions what to eat or drink and exercising when I want and not taking anything that might do more harm than good. Thankfully it has done me good so far I think.

Thats kinda how I like to be too. I understand weight loss products and supplements may work, but I never understood why anyone would take them. To me, its not so much about weight loss as it is about being healthy, and I dont think taking a supplement everyday is "healthy". I dont know, my friend takes all that s***, and it worked for him, but I would consider my conditioning a lot better than his (could be the smoking).

Personally, I have kicked the soda (pop for all you weirdos) and run atleast 2 miles a day for about a month now. I hear its better to run/work out in the morning since it "kick starts" your metabolism, but whatever. I dont really eye the scale, as I can usually tell how fit I am by how I feel after a run. I was in pretty sad shape in early May when college was getting out. I attribute that to all that college food (if you wanna call it that). I dont intend to let it happen this year :)

Thats kinda how I like to be too. I understand weight loss products and supplements may work, but I never understood why anyone would take them. To me, its not so much about weight loss as it is about being healthy, and I dont think taking a supplement everyday is "healthy". I dont know, my friend takes all that s***, and it worked for him, but I would consider my conditioning a lot better than his (could be the smoking).

Personally, I have kicked the soda (pop for all you weirdos) and run atleast 2 miles a day for about a month now. I hear its better to run/work out in the morning since it "kick starts" your metabolism, but whatever. I dont really eye the scale, as I can usually tell how fit I am by how I feel after a run. I was in pretty sad shape in early May when college was getting out. I attribute that to all that college food (if you wanna call it that). I dont intend to let it happen this year :)

Good. We should all eat food, not a substitute. I don't see how anyone can live their life on something you have to order online or go to a health food store to buy. It's literally just not natural. Some supplements are good for you, if your diet is deficient, but those weight loss things on TV... I don't believe any of them actually work. Hoodia, hydroxycut, etc.

I notice they all say that without diet and exercise, the product won't work. Well, duh. :rolleyes: Could it be the diet and exercise would have helped, without spending hundreds of dollars over time to buy their product?

You're doing fine, it sounds like to me. You, too, Munk. Sorry about your injury, but maybe you can manage to so some weights or something that doesn't test your sore foot?

Good Christ. It's no wonder I will NEVER live in the South.

Anyway, progress report. Tried the Daily Plate like I said I would, but I can't remember to do it every day. Just can't do it. Also, it doesn't really cover some of what I eat. For example, they have these really good buffalo chicken wraps in the cafeteria at work, but Daily Plate doesn't cover it. I have no idea what to enter for these things. They've got buffalo chicken wraps ranging from 300 calories all the way up to 900. (I went with 450. Wild guess.)

When I run into cases like that, I try and see which entries have ingredients listed and if all else fails, I tend to lean toward logging the higher calorie entry. Sometimes, it could be the difference between me being 300 calories under for a day or 300 OVER for a day. A lot of it is just intelligent guessing when it comes down to it, but in that sense, TDP is teaching you to pay attention to your food.

I did measure out how much cereal I'm eating in the usual bowl. Turns out a bowl of cereal and milk is like 500 calories. Theoretically then I should lose a pound a week just by having gotten rid of that second bowl.

Good lord, what kind of cereal are you eating?! I have a bowl of bran flakes (about 3/4 - 1 cup) with 3/4 cup of 1% milk and that comes to about 170 - 190 calories. If you're eating sugary cereal, though...I totally get that. It's delicious, dammit. :P And if you're using whole or 2% milk, I can totally understand that too. It's hard to get away from that milk-type comfort zone. Took me years to get used to 1% after drinking whole milk for eons back home.

I've now also decided to remove sugar from my morning coffee (unless I have Sweet N' Low, Equal or Splenda handy) and now I can have a 12 oz. cup with 3 tbsp of fat-free half and half for only...*drum roll*...30 calories. And you wouldn't believe how happy I was when I found out that a tall nonfat caffe latte at Starbucks is only 100 calories. I have a new drink! (though it didn't help that I ate a 390 calorie piece of 'reduced fat' banana chocolate chip coffee cake with it :P).

Currently sitting at about 218.5 lbs and would absolutely love to be below 200 by Christmas. I've plateaued a little right now, but I think it's possible.

Good lord, what kind of cereal are you eating?! I have a bowl of bran flakes (about 3/4 - 1 cup) with 3/4 cup of 1% milk and that comes to about 170 - 190 calories. If you're eating sugary cereal, though...I totally get that. It's delicious, dammit. :P And if you're using whole or 2% milk, I can totally understand that too. It's hard to get away from that milk-type comfort zone. Took me years to get used to 1% after drinking whole milk for eons back home.

It's not the cereal, it's the size of the bowl. And it's really not that big a bowl, but I always fill it up. Turns out I use about a cup and a half of cereal (which is 2 servings, so, about 360 calories.) Then add a cup of milk for 160 more, and you've got over 500 calories. Unless you're eating vapor flakes or something, most cereals, even the sugary ones, run about 175-200 calories per cup.

And it's 2% for me. I can drink 1% maybe, but the calorie difference really isn't that great. It's worth more to just cut back on what I drink: one bowl of cereal instead of two, one glass with dinner instead of three. Don't even mention skim. That's not milk.

Since it's almost as hot as a sauna on a daily basis here, I've actually been getting back into working out on machines for cardio lately instead of running outdoors. I'm starting to fall in love with EFX machines again. Being able to hold onto the bars/machine makes it a little less taxing than running on a treadmill obviously, and I definitely wouldn't be able to move as fast on a treadmill and keep my energy up, but whenever I'm on the EFX and after getting going on it I feel like I'm shot out of a cannon and I just go as fast as I can and kill as many calories as I can. In 35 minutes today I went for 4.3 miles and killed just over 490 calories in the exercise I did. I do need to get back to just jogging/running though, and I haven't biked outside in forever due to hot weather and house/yard chores on weekends and other stuff going on.

And it's 2% for me. I can drink 1% maybe, but the calorie difference really isn't that great. It's worth more to just cut back on what I drink: one bowl of cereal instead of two, one glass with dinner instead of three. Don't even mention skim. That's not milk.

I totally concur. It's dirty dishwater. :lol:

Since it's almost as hot as a sauna on a daily basis here, I've actually been getting back into working out on machines for cardio lately instead of running outdoors. I'm starting to fall in love with EFX machines again. Being able to hold onto the bars/machine makes it a little less taxing than running on a treadmill obviously, and I definitely wouldn't be able to move as fast on a treadmill and keep my energy up, but whenever I'm on the EFX and after getting going on it I feel like I'm shot out of a cannon and I just go as fast as I can and kill as many calories as I can. In 35 minutes today I went for 4.3 miles and killed just over 490 calories in the exercise I did. I do need to get back to just jogging/running though, and I haven't biked outside in forever due to hot weather and house/yard chores on weekends and other stuff going on.

Good job, Jack!! :thumbup: Ditto, me! Love the EFX. Hate the StairMill but do it anyway. It is my idea of a torture device, so it must be good for ya, right? It's so freakin' hot here, you really can't go outside. I miss the trail, but even I draw the line at 105 degrees. :blink:

As for the cereal discussion, I cut out my evening treat of cereal and fruit, when I realized my healthy dessert wasn't, so much. :angry: rats.