• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu in Israel

Second Round

Rate this topic

if brodeur was a boat, our high shot count would be his anchor

brodeur sinks when his defense doesn't limit the scoring chances. i feel extremely confident we'd dispose of the devils in 5 games.

he also didn't face a defense based vancouver team, who is known to sometimes have trouble scoring.

not ot mention, dom was within 2 lucky shots and a high stick goal of having possibly 3 shutouts.

Serious question - did Vancouver even try to score in games 5 or 6? I watched them on and off (it was pretty easy to lose interest) and if Vancouver reated any sort of scoring chances I missed em.

Point - they were two of the easiest shutouts a goalie could earn. I'm not sure about Dallas' first shutout in game 2, I didn't see any of it.

Edited by OkThatSmells

I kind of would rather play Dallas because we have owned them the last few years...and I think Detroit matches up well. Plus it'd be nice to see SJ and Ana go at each other.

On the other hand, it'd be cool to see Giguere vs Luongo, and guarentee that one of those beasts gets knocked out before the wings would have to play them (hopefully).

I still want Dallas though. We'll see if they can complete the comeback.

I guess I agree with most of the sentiments on here. I would much rather play Dallas than San Jose. I think we can solve Turco and his gang pretty easily, especially after having the First Round From Hell against just Miika Kiprusoff.

Besides Brodeur, Kipper is the only goalie that scares me this playoff race. I think if the Wings fire over 250 shots at Turco like they did with Kipper. Wings will be just fine!

Agreed: Kipper>Turco

Kipper>Giguere

DOM>Kipper and Giguere :):)

Edited by WingsWingsWings

We survived the first round nastiness of Calgary, in part because of Hasek's contributions. Somehow I think the next round can't be any worse, in some ways. Dallas would be a fine opponent, and Marty will probably lose some steam. He has a lot on the line tonight with that gigantic, "can't get out of the first round" monkey on his back. Let's see if the Stars can do this or not.

Back to topic: I don't really understand why Dom got such a low "approval rating" by the experts. Maybe I should not call the commentators on Versus that, but I guess when all you hear pounded into your head every single game is "Kipper is the best, Kipper is the best..." people start to take it as gospel.

Dom won 4 games out of six, like he was "supposed" to, with a .922 sv% and 1.57GAA. He made huge stops when needed. He was a difference maker. The fact that he didn't get 250 shots on him is not something he controls, and it should not diminish the accomplishment. No, he didn't get shutouts, but it was so close a couple of times, it wasn't even funny. Dom doesn't care. He likes "W"s better than SOs. :)

Dom is greater than Kipper. Dom is moving on in the playoffs and Kipper is not. I think that about says it all.

Edited by puckloo39

I agree with the posters that say we won't face another Kipper all playoffs. Yes there are some outstanding goalies left in the West, but I really feel that we have shown we can SCORE for once - even strength at that.

No goalie is unbeatable unless you trick yourself into thinking so. Sure, there is some history (as with Kipper and Jiggy), but having a slew of young/different guys on the team pretty much negates any memories of series past.

Turco will collapse in round 2 as usual.

Well... as usual would have been round 1, but since he managed to pull through with some decent goaltending, it will be round 2...

He has to win tonight before he makes it to round 2.

I agree with the posters that say we won't face another Kipper all playoffs. Yes there are some outstanding goalies left in the West, but I really feel that we have shown we can SCORE for once - even strength at that.

and Shorthanded. Don't forget those ones!!! :)

If we continue to put up 40-50 SOG a game it doesn't matter who is between the pipes, they are going to have to work for every save.

My thoughts exactly!!!! :)

But I would still rather see them face Turco instead of the Sharks.

Ehhhhhhhh, Dom didn't face an average of 40+ shots a game, which definitely helped

Not to perpetuate this little carousel, but Dom actually doesn't control how many shots he sees. If he had seen 40+ SOG per game, who says the result would not have been the same? It doesn't seem right (to me, anyway) to brush off Hasek's contributions to the series win by constantly saying how much "better" Kiprusoff was just because more pucks got through. Quality, not quantity.

Hasek himself said he felt good about the games and was glad he won, but that he might have felt differently (and more tired) if the numbers had been reversed. He's too humble, that's his problem. :lol:

I think Dom and Datsyuk both got little recognition for the frist round series win. That's OK, though. In time all things work out the way they should. :thumbup:

My thoughts exactly!!!! :)

But I would still rather see them face Turco instead of the Sharks.

gimme Turco. He's been on a mission in the first round (which the Stars haven't won yet, BTW). All the Wings have to do is play exactly like they did in Game 5 vs. Calgary, and Dallas won't know what hit them.

Not to perpetuate this little carousel, but Dom actually doesn't control how many shots he sees. If he had seen 40+ SOG per game, who says the result would not have been the same? It doesn't seem right (to me, anyway) to brush off Hasek's contributions to the series win by constantly saying how much "better" Kiprusoff was just because more pucks got through. Quality, not quantity.

Hasek himself said he felt good about the games and was glad he won, but that he might have felt differently (and more tired) if the numbers had been reversed. He's too humble, that's his problem. :lol:

I think Dom and Datsyuk both got little recognition for the frist round series win. That's OK, though. In time all things work out the way they should. :thumbup:

But you basically said Dom is the better goalie simply because he is moving on and Kipper is not. I think that argument is open for more critism than someone saying the other guy had to fact 40+ shots a night. If you want to argue quality of shots, that's fine, but don't suggest Dom is better just because he is moving on. The Wings are moving on and Dom happens to be a part of that team. For the record, I thought Dom played a great series, but he was not the better goalie in the series.

Many thanks to the posters who clued me in on the reseeding process, my mistake!

To KevinD, thanks for your kind words.

To all: Living so far away, with absolutely no chance to see Hasek or any other Red Wing in action, I have to rely on your analyses, or what I read in the various sport sites I surf; so, I noticed that there was a great disparity between the number of shots and goals that Hasek saw, and the number of shots and goals that Kiprusoff saw, and that was my only basis of comparison for the two goalies. From what I've read from all of you, I guess my statistical comparison didn't fully reflect what Hasek had been doing, and what you were able to observe.

In any case I'm sure we've all been heartened by the Wings' performance in the first round after the early season hope for them was to merely reach the playoffs, and now we can see them as a very serious Stanley Cup contender!

But you basically said Dom is the better goalie simply because he is moving on and Kipper is not. I think that argument is open for more critism than someone saying the other guy had to fact 40+ shots a night. If you want to argue quality of shots, that's fine, but don't suggest Dom is better just because he is moving on. The Wings are moving on and Dom happens to be a part of that team. For the record, I thought Dom played a great series, but he was not the better goalie in the series.

He certainly wasn't the worst one. Who knows (not us) that Hasek wouldn't have been just as good as Kipper at stopping all those shots on goal, that Kipper could see. Dom stops what he sees, as well. The goals that got past Kipper were not all incredibly brilliant goals, like Mules GWG last night. No one could have stopped that one.

If one dismisses Hasek's contributions to the win and infer that he was just along for the ride, I think that's just not right. Sorry.

We survived the first round nastiness of Calgary, in part because of Hasek's contributions. Somehow I think the next round can't be any worse, in some ways. Dallas would be a fine opponent, and Marty will probably lose some steam. He has a lot on the line tonight with that gigantic, "can't get out of the first round" monkey on his back. Let's see if the Stars can do this or not.

Back to topic: I don't really understand why Dom got such a low "approval rating" by the experts. Maybe I should not call the commentators on Versus that, but I guess when all you hear pounded into your head every single game is "Kipper is the best, Kipper is the best..." people start to take it as gospel.

Dom won 4 games out of six, like he was "supposed" to, with a .922 sv% and 1.57GAA. He made huge stops when needed. He was a difference maker. The fact that he didn't get 250 shots on him is not something he controls, and it should not diminish the accomplishment. No, he didn't get shutouts, but it was so close a couple of times, it wasn't even funny. Dom doesn't care. He likes "W"s better than SOs. :)

Dom is greater than Kipper. Dom is moving on in the playoffs and Kipper is not. I think that about says it all.

Dom didn't get as much hype because the Wings were so much more dominant than Calgary. Don't get me wrong, he made HUGE saves, but that's still gonna be overshadowed by a goalie who is getting shelled and pretty much single-handedly keeping his team in the series.

Kipper was awesome. But I heard several announcers mention Dom's key saves. It's hard getting shelled like Kiprusoff was, but it's also extremely hard not to see the puck for ten minutes, then have to make a huge save like Dom did.

As for Dom being greater than Kipper, honestly I don't know that it's that clear anymore. Dom is great, but so is Kipper. It's not hype. He's the real deal.

As for Dom vs. Turco, it's Hasek all the way.

If one dismisses Hasek's contributions to the win and infer that he was just along for the ride, I think that's just not right. Sorry.

I don't think anyone has really done that.

At least not anyone who saw the games.

Unless I'm mistaken the Anaheim Ducks will be the Wings' opponent in the Second Round, and if so, they will have to face an even better goalie than Kiprusoff, meaning: Jean-Sebastien Giguere (look at his playoff figures)!

Yes, "the Dominator" has the name, and the aura, and the mystique, but look at the number of shots that Kiprusoff faced and the number that Hasek faced, then at the number of goals scored; the offense and the defense are what's carried this team along so far.

I do not mean to demean Hasek's worth as a goalie, I merely mean to look at the statistics, "Just the facts ma'am," as Sgt. Joe Friday (Jack Webb) used to say in the TV series "Dragnet."

anaheim is 2nd overall , only way we would of faced them is in the western finals ..... i for one am going for dallas tonight , im not afraid of san jose even though i know itll be really tough to beat them , but id rather face turco cause we got his number even thiough hes playing good ..........and id like to let san jose and ahaheim go at it in a dogfight and tire eachother out

I’d rather see Dallas in the second round simply because I think we match up against them much better. If we draw the Sharks I think it will be very similar to the Calgary series, they can be a tough team to play against. That being said, Calgary provided us a nice first round warm up to get our heads in the game.

As far as Turco being “hotâ€Â, it think it would be more accurate to say that Vancouver’s offense has been ice cold. I’d like to see what kind of numbers he puts up with the boys in red throwing 50 shots at him a game.

The only way that we face a better goalie than Kipper is if VAN wins tonight and then beats ANA and we get by SJ.

The we deal with Roberto.

And the only way we face a goalie better than Luongo is if we get by Luongo and play Brodeur.

If the Wings do beat Kipper, Nabokov/Toskala, Luongo, and Brodeur; they are the best scoring play-off team EVER.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

Had the wings had Kipper and the Flames had DOm in this series -- Wings win 4 games to none -- Calgary probably nets one goal in total.

Two reasons this series went six games: Kipper and some good special teams by the flames.

Looking ahead I also prefer the Stars -- Turco has a really poor history against the wings -- I mean really bad.

San Jose is a BIG team. Their roster only has a couple of people under 2 bills. The wings should have the speed factor over San Jose. But the Sharks PP is perhaps the best there is....\

from what I've been reading, it seems the general consensus seems to be a desire to play dallas. I'm not too sure who I'd rather play, I'm more concerned with how WE play. for the wings to continue to win, we've got to play OUR game and not be sucked into the gameplans of the other teams. IMO that's why we lost two games to calgary. no matter which goalie we end up facing, we still need to pepper him with 40 shots a game. If the other goalies aren't as good as kipper, (which only time can tell), then we'll destroy whoever we play and win each game 10-1. I guess my point is just that we need to play inspired hockey, and we need to play our game. If we do so, no matter which team we play I predict wings 4-2 in the series.