• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

Now a 1 Game Series

Rate this topic

I hate to say it, but Game 4 might as well be Game 7 for the Wings.

As much faith as I have in them to not lose 4 times in 7 games or less, the SJ Sharks are playing a different game than the Wings on the ice.

Yes, the Wings have not played a 60 min game each time that they lost and Dom has let in some questionable goals (God the one that squeaked in past his skate, glove, and post gave me a stroke) and the passing has been terrible and the shots should come from much closer and flukey goals have kept us alfloat. BUT, the Wings HAVE to win Game 4 in order to pull off a series victory.

A 3-1 defacit is worse than some think it is. If they lose Wednesday, they will have to win 3 games in a row against a team that has lost only 1 regular season game and 1 playoff game against the #1 team in the West and eliminated the "bad-ass" Predators in 5 games.

The prospect of winning a 2-2 series is much more promising. They are able to win 2 of 3, especially since 2 would be at JLA. And with the return of Homer, our PP and 1st line will have more consistancy. Nabokov has not had to deal with an "elite" net-crasher/screener so far in this series or vs. Trashville. Bert gave him some problems with vision, but he didn't do his job picking up rebounds or making deflections. Plus (and this is a HUGE plus), Homer is not afraid of standing in front of a slap-shot and keeping his eye on the puck (I think Bert turns away to see where the rebound goes, while Homer watches the puck all the time).

So if they do win Game 4, their odds are good. However, if they lose, they may have too deep of a hole to climb out of.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

My main worry about being down 3-1 is that we are 1-3 on the road and Dats and Zetts have a combined 0 points in those games.

I'll go you one better. It's not a one game series, it's a 2 games single elimination. Not only do the Wings have to win game 4, they MUST win game 5 as well. If they go back to San Jose for game 6 down 3-2, the series is over.

At some point in this series Detroit has to win 2 straight.

If the two teams keep playing "win tag", San Jose pulls it out in 7.

Hahahaha! I love your avatar! Ron Wilson is such a goof!

I'll go you one better. It's not a one game series, it's a 2 games single elimination. Not only do the Wings have to win game 4, they MUST win game 5 as well. If they go back to San Jose for game 6 down 3-2, the series is over.

That's what they said in '02 about heading back to COL.

Honta Yo Ya'll

Its a good day to die , but in our case , its a good game to lose.

Ok , i know , overused :P , But its true , we'll probbaly win tho , Getting Homer back is big , he's so greatly underrated.

I like the sentiment, but this team doesnt have the same skill level or leadership we did in 02

Hasek shut out the avs in game 6 back then , and the avs were twice the team SJ are now.

That can happen again

Detroit dominated the first period last night, and basically the games have seen huge momentum swings with neither team able to settle in to a dedicated routine, with the exeption of when Detroit slammed the door in SJ's face in the final minute of game 2. As a Sharks fan, I certainly haven't stopped having heartburn over this series just because SJ's up 2-1.

I agree that game 4 is huge, though. Going back for 2 of 3 at JLA in a tied series terrifies me. Even being up 3-1 is no lock, considering the Wings' firepower and the Sharks uncanny ability to disappear for stretches.

there is a reason the games are played, and there is a reason each series is potentially 7 games. I am sick of all the negativity here, if we go down 3-1, we are perfectly capable of winning 3 straight. We did not get the #1 seed by fluke. WE HAVE A GREAT TEAM! Over 82 games, no other team in the west was as good as us. To quote Yogi Berra, "It aint over til it's over" please do not sell this team off. We are good. Take a chill pill people, theres plenty of hockey left to be played.

there is a reason the games are played, and there is a reason each series is potentially 7 games. I am sick of all the negativity here, if we go down 3-1, we are perfectly capable of winning 3 straight. We did not get the #1 seed by fluke. WE HAVE A GREAT TEAM! Over 82 games, no other team in the west was as good as us. To quote Yogi Berra, "It aint over til it's over" please do not sell this team off. We are good. Take a chill pill people, theres plenty of hockey left to be played.

I appreciate this post. You are damn straight the Wings can still take this even down 3-1 if that were to happen. While some are looking for bridges or cliffs, you are "sacking-up" for your team. :thumbup:

AMEN.

I'm enjoying this series very much, and was even WHILE the Sharks were losing in Game 2. Not that it didn't give me heartburn, mind, but playoff intensity is a great thing to watch regardless. Even if the Sharks were down 3-1 in a series, I wouldn't count them out for a second. The NHL has a history of 3-1 series deficit comebacks (including the Wings: 1987 against the North Stars, and 1992 against the Leafs), so the outcome of Game 4 will NOT have decided anything with any finality whatsoever.

So I agree, sit back and enjoy the entire series, right down the end. What a shame for any team's fans (and this is not meant as a guilt trip for fans, because I don't believe in them) if your team ends up winning, but you only enjoyed the parts where they actually won. That means you missed out on part of it. Think I didn't enjoy Game 2? I didn't like the outcome, but the game itself -- I thoroughly enjoyed it, the good, the bad and the ugly.

In all reality we need to win this one. Winning 3 games straight is tough but not impossible. I'd rather have this series tied 2-2 than SJ up 3-1, especially since they won the most away games this year....

\

bingo.

in my heart, i feel the Wings MUST win game 4 tomorrow night,

no i dont think they couldn't come back from 1-3, but my goodness, i just cant see it happening, not the way the series has panned out thus far.

SJ won on detroit ice, i dont like that at all.

Detroit really needs to win in a convincing way tomorrow for me to really think they can take this series.

game 7 attitude/intensity from here on out.

here's to a strong win tomorrow in the tank. game four will say a whole lot about the team this year.

i want nothing more than to see detroit play like they did in the 1st period in game three for SIXTY FULL MINUTES

come on Wings!

:siren:

Am I the only one who thinks there's JUST as much pressure on the Sharks going into Game 4 as the Wings? If the Wings get the Game 4 win, the Sharks face a loss of momentum and a best-of-three with two games in Detroit. Bad scenario for San Jose. Yes, they're a great road team. Bet you they'd still rather go to the Joe as little as possible.

Nope.

No, there is intense pressure on them for sure, but nearly as much as the Wings have. If the Sharks lose Game 4, they lose home ice back to the Wings, and it's correct, they do want as little of the Joe as possible. But there's a huge difference between having a best of three series forced, and facing a 10% chance of staging a three game comeback.

But it really doesn't matter. Until that last second ticks off from the last deciding game of the series (or the last OT goal is scored), it's far from over for either team. What you DON'T want is for your team to dwell on probabilities, positive or negative. They have to play like they're going to WIN right until the very end, so I, as a fan, want to be in that same mode with them. If my team dies, it dies once. That's all I want as a fan, is to be there with them, both empathy and sympathy-wise, which means it's NEVER over until it's really over.

Think I'm counting out the Nucks now that they're down 3-1 in the series (as I type, no less)? I'm not. The Nucks, like the Wings, already HAVE a history of 3-1 comebacks. If the Nucks bring that same game to the rest of the series, they could pull it off still, because they played fantastically. The odds aren't good for them, but f*** the odds - they can't afford to look at the odds, as this is hockey playoffs, and there are still games left to be played. The Ducks still have to win one more. If they can't, they're out.

Meanwhile, all this talk is about speculation that anticipates the importance of the next game between our teams. Of course it's important for the Wings to win! They really do need to play desperately, and to even up the series. But to call it the decisive or killing blow isn't how I would see it at all. I'll believe the outcome when I see one of these teams actually take their FOURTH game of this series, NOT GAME FOUR of the series. That's all the difference in the world to me.

Edited by Grypho

Think I'm counting out the Nucks now that they're down 3-1 in the series (as I type, no less)? I'm not. The Nucks, like the Wings, already HAVE a history of 3-1 comebacks. If the Nucks bring that same game to the rest of the series, they could pull it off still, because they played fantastically. The odds aren't good for them, but f*** the odds - they can't afford to look at the odds, as this is hockey playoffs, and there are still games left to be played. The Ducks still have to win one more. If they can't, they're out.

Well, problematically for the Canucks, they have more of a history of being on the wrong end of the comebacks :P

I like the sentiment, but this team doesnt have the same skill level or leadership we did in 02

I dont listen to much out of a fairweather fan like yourself.... I will find the posts if you want me too!!

Am I the only one who thinks there's JUST as much pressure on the Sharks going into Game 4 as the Wings? If the Wings get the Game 4 win, the Sharks face a loss of momentum and a best-of-three with two games in Detroit. Bad scenario for San Jose. Yes, they're a great road team. Bet you they'd still rather go to the Joe as little as possible.

I agree -- to a point. The Sharks had to win at JLA. Having done so, the pressure on them is to keep the advantage they have gained by winning both games at the Tank.

The Sharks gained the split but the Game 2 loss could have been the turning point in the series. That loss itself wasn't as critical since the Sharks had the split in hand. But the way they lost, blowing a lead, could have had a lingering hangover. No problem so long as the Sharks stayed to form. The Tank was rocking with anticipation that the Sharks would get off to a great start, just like they did on the road in Game 1 and 2.

Boom. The Red Wings totally dominated the first period. *THAT* was when the Sharks faced real pressure -- the pressure of choking away the series. Pulling out that game was huge. Had they lost, the Red Wings quite likely run the table just as Edmonton did to the Sharks last year. As it is, the Sharks are much more likely to play with confidence in Game 4. Doesn't mean they win, of course. This series still looks to be a long one with more twists to the plot.

Well, problematically for the Canucks, they have more of a history of being on the wrong end of the comebacks :P

That's true, unlike the Wings, whom history favors in that regard. ;)

Even so, the Nucks did stave off a Game 7 comeback against the Stars, and the Nucks and the Wings have both proven to be extremely gifted teams under pressure. Nobody can take that away from either team.

I dont listen to much out of a fairweather fan like yourself.... I will find the posts if you want me too!!

oh PB, don't give him hope of an arguement. he's trying to be positive and nice. you can do it REGWING.