• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BringHomeTheCup!

Off season....

Rate this topic

According to a site I found, we owe Dom about another $800k already, and an additional $1.1 if we win the Cup.

I'm not saying he'd ask for a ridiculous amount, but I really can't see spending more than $1-1.5 on him as a good investment. I'd take him with the same contract or near it, but not much more.

what do you mean we owe him 800 k already ??? i thought we just owed him 450 k for winning the 1st round so far , do you know how much he gets if we win this round and the west conference ?? .......if we win the cup were gonna have to dish out like 2 million bonus ??? thats gonna really screw us hard next season, thats means we'll only have a 46 million cap + you know holland will wanna leave cap space ......so we'll have like 44.500 cap space to work with

what do you mean we owe him 800 k already ??? i thought we just owed him 450 k for winning the 1st round so far , do you know how much he gets if we win this round and the west conference ?? .......if we win the cup were gonna have to dish out like 2 million bonus ??? thats gonna really screw us hard next season, thats means we'll only have a 46 million cap + you know holland will wanna leave cap space ......so we'll have like 44.500 cap space to work with

I hope we don't win the Cup then :ph34r:

I don't remember the specifics, but his base was $750k ish, and he has preformace bonuses for the regular season. The site I have listed his salary owed this season at about $1.5 so far. I am pretty sure it's $1.1 for the Cup bonus. I'm at work, and after work I am headed to the bar to catch the game. If I remember, when I get home, I'll post the link to the site I am referring to.

I hope we don't win the Cup then :ph34r:

lmao thats not what i meant, id gladly give up 5 million cap space if we won the cup

I don't remember the specifics, but his base was $750k ish, and he has preformace bonuses for the regular season. The site I have listed his salary owed this season at about $1.5 so far. I am pretty sure it's $1.1 for the Cup bonus. I'm at work, and after work I am headed to the bar to catch the game. If I remember, when I get home, I'll post the link to the site I am referring to.

i just saw it on redwingscentral.com it said 1.1 in bonus's .........but since he got 450k after 1 round i guess that only leaves 650k for the next 3 rounds , maybe he gets 200k for the next 2 rounds and 250k for the cup

lmao thats not what i meant, id gladly give up 5 million cap space if we won the cup

i just saw it on redwingscentral.com it said 1.1 in bonus's .........but since he got 450k after 1 round i guess that only leaves 650k for the next 3 rounds , maybe he gets 200k for the next 2 rounds and 250k for the cup

I am pretty certian that the Cup bonus is $1.1 itself, I'm not sure about any other bonus per round.

Perhaps by the time he gets to the Cup it adds up to $1.1 mil

That is quite possible, I've heard it described as a 'Cup bonus' so it could be paid per round, but why would he get $450k for the first round? I would think that the bonus for each round would get bigger, say $100k first round, $200k secound round, $300k third round, and $600 for the Cup. Make sense?

People need to relax about Dom asking for more money. He had great stats with Ottawa too, and he still signed for 750k with incentives. Why? Because the risk with Dom isnt his skill, its whether or not hell get injured. That risk only increases with his age, as we all know. There isnt a team that is going to drop big bucks on the guy when his body itself is such a risk. If Dom asks for double the salary, why wouldnt you welcome him back for 1.5M? I cant see him asking for nor getting a big raise on the open market. Not to mention hes a competitor - hes not going to go play for some mid-range/rebuilding team at this stage of his career.

Bet some of ya are wishin you had Joey Mac back.

I personally never thought we should have let him go...

In those starts, save for 1, the team didn't show up to play in front of him. then he had 1 bad night and they put him on waivers...

People need to relax about Dom asking for more money. He had great stats with Ottawa too, and he still signed for 750k with incentives. Why? Because the risk with Dom isnt his skill, its whether or not hell get injured. That risk only increases with his age, as we all know. There isnt a team that is going to drop big bucks on the guy when his body itself is such a risk. If Dom asks for double the salary, why wouldnt you welcome him back for 1.5M? I cant see him asking for nor getting a big raise on the open market. Not to mention hes a competitor - hes not going to go play for some mid-range/rebuilding team at this stage of his career.

I wouldn't want Dom back at more than $1.5 because of the injury risk factor, as you stated, just rises as he gets older.

Bet some of ya are wishin you had Joey Mac back.

I personally never thought we should have let him go...

In those starts, save for 1, the team didn't show up to play in front of him. then he had 1 bad night and they put him on waivers...

They had to put him on waivers to send him to the minors. Mind you I think they were trying to showcase him for a trade value, but that didn't work, so they did the next best thing to get rid of him. With Howard and Liv, Mac didn't have a real shot in this organization.

Guest Crymson

Dom is 42. He is no spring chicken. He very well could retire, espesically is we win the Cup.

With a lack of goaltending depth on the UFA market, what do you think the Wings should do? I'm not a Hasek fan, but if he doesn't retire, I just don't see a better choice in net. I could see a guy like Belfour stepping in for a season like Dom did, but that is a lateral move in net. As much as I wish there was someone available at an affordable price to take Dom's place, there simply isn't.

The best possible UFA options are Giguere and Backstrom. Backstrom is largely unproven, evenso, he most likely will attract a lot of attention from several teams. Giguere is simply going to cost too much. He will command $6 million per, I just don't see Kenny spending what little room we have in that manner.

So, who is your choice if Dom retires or signs elsewhere? This is just for fun, something to talk about on a day off. Again, I DO think Dom is our best option, this is just a hypothetical. Let's have some fun with it. Here are my ideas.

1. Denis: He had a horrible year in Tampa, there is a lot of talk he will get bought out. He was amazing for the Jackets. I think he'd be worth a one-year shot.

2. Theodore: I know, I know, he has also been awful. But again, what would it hurt to sign him to a one-year deal? Even if say he wanted a three-year deal, remember he was the league MVP once. Worse case senario, we buy him out.

3. Osgood Liv/Howard: I'm not sure how I feel about these guys. I like Ozzie, I think he could backstop us without much trouble, and the young guys need some steady NHL experience sometime.

Remember, just have FUN with this....

BACKSTROM.

Ozzie cannot backstop us. He is now a backup; he knows it and we know it. There's no need to take that risk, and Holland very well knows it. Howard, also, is untested.

Edited by Crymson

BACKSTROM.

Ozzie cannot backstop us. He is now a backup; he knows it and we know it. There's no need to take that risk, and Holland very well knows it. Howard, also, is untested.

I think if Kenny is going ot go with a guy who is unproven, as Backstrom largely is, it would be Liv or Howard.

BACKSTROM.

I agree, Ozzie's the backup ... a capable one who can step up and log some games, but still the backup. If we wanted him to start we never would have signed Dom this year, and I don't see Kenny going backward.

I'd like to see Howard get the chance assuming Dom's not back ... he's always going to be untested -- until we test him. I just don't think there's much on the market now, we might do better to try Howard with Ozzie as back up, and if we're not happy try to make a move at next year's deadline. We have a strong enough team that can hold it together through some turbulent netminding.

Edited by lets go pavel

How is Howard not a proven AHL goalie?

Grand Rapids AHL 38 27-6-2 2.58 .910

Detroit NHL 4 1-2-0 2.99 .904

Grand Rapids AHL 49 21-21-3 2.70 .911

He was playing like a proven NHL goalie for 4 games.....

Give him a chance.

How is Howard not a proven AHL goalie?

Grand Rapids AHL 38 27-6-2 2.58 .910

Detroit NHL 4 1-2-0 2.99 .904

Grand Rapids AHL 49 21-21-3 2.70 .911

He was playing like a proven NHL goalie for 4 games.....

Give him a chance.

Detroit has had stellar goaltending prospects berfore. Marcle and Hudson, both got brought up too early, and look what hapened!

I really don't know why everyone thinks Howard is so great. He hasn't impressed me at all, and his AHL numbers are not all that great. Besides, just because a guy is regarded as the future starter doesn't mean he will be. I remember a fellow by the name of Arin Miller. Once regarded as a future starting goaltender for the Wings in the late 90's, he never even played a single NHL game. That may be a bit beside the point, as Howard has played an NHL game, but it still is a decent comparison.

Going with an unproven goaltender at the AHL level is not advised at all. If the Wings choose not to sign anyone, then just go with Osgood. In no way at all should Howard be a starting goaltender though. 4 NHL games, 1 win, and struggeling to make it at the AHL level just won't cut it, not yet anyways. I'm not saying he won't be a future starting goaltender, but at the current time, he's not.

Ozzie is backup because he chooses to stay here. He could definitely step up and take the load if needed. I'd like to see him in tandem with our youngins if Dom retires. In tandem with Dom if he stays.

Ozzie is backup because he chooses to stay here. He could definitely step up and take the load if needed. I'd like to see him in tandem with our youngins if Dom retires. In tandem with Dom if he stays.

Exactly. Ozzie is more than capable of handling the job. He's been a starter throughout most of his career, and I can absolutely see him being one again. The guy is a proven winner, then and now. He's a hell of goalie, be it in a tandem, or starting role.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

i would stay away from jose theodre best chances are jiggy or backstrom

I just can't see the Wings winning the bidding war on Giggy, and everyone is crying about an unproven goaltender, and that is what Backstrom is. He was good, not great, good for a half of a season, playing in a system that is very goaltender friendly. I don't think Kenny is going to try and sign a guy like that, especially given what happened to the Sens with Gerber.

I would much rather see Liv or Howard get a shot first.

Agreed. We've waited a long time for Howard to get a real shot...

I just don't get Backstrom, he has played 41 games in the NHL, his stats are pretty good, but he plays on the Western Confrence version of the Devils. With just about everyone on this board complaining that Marty isn't that good, he just looks like it because of the system he plays is, you would think that they could make the same asumption about Backstrom. In stead, many of them go in the other direction. I just don't get it.

And look at his playoff stats, not so hot. BTW, all you Marty haters saying his stats are padded, take a look and see who faced the most shots this year in the NHL.