• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BringHomeTheCup!

Off season....

Rate this topic

Howard's ready. He helped the 8th place Griffin's take the 1st place Moose to 7 games. His numbers? 1.93 GAA and .920 SV%

At this stage in Ryan Miller's career he was ready to play 30 - 40 games with Buffalo.

Start Howard and Osgood in tandem.

Edited by rick zombo

Osgood. Am I the only one on this board who is NOT impressed with Hasek's play these playoffs? If Osgood were in, I'm willing to bet we'd be in the same situation if not a better one.

Dom has allowed some questionable goals but at the sametime he hasnt allowed more than 2 goals in 7 straight games.I like our chances to win when that happens.

Bäckström would be interesting choice. He has really been impressive playing behind good defensive team like he did four years here in Finland. He just frustrates opponents. Dominating Kärpät Oulu was very kind of similar dominating team like Wings are at heir own level, so I think he could be a good fit.

Except that it's one thing to be the starter in Minny (let alone Kärpät) and quite another in Detroit. He's a good goalie no question, but I'd rather have Ozzie as our starter since he knows what it takes.

I know some people don't like the idea of a stop-gap goalie, but I still believe that Howard needs another year. If he needs 1 more year (and since this thread is predicated on the assumption Hasek doesn't come back) then we would want a 1 year goalie that won't break the bank.

ANSWER: Vesa Toskala. Vesa has 1 year left on his contract and I believe he is making UNDER 2 mil. Also, the Sharks have been shopping him, reportedly for a first round pick from FLA. Well, since our first round pics are less valuable, we'd have to sweeten the deal a bit, but I think Vesa would be perfect.

Then, if he turns into a Kipper and will re-sign for a reasonable amount, we have a blue chip talent in Howard that we could use for trade, and the back-up of the future in Liv (or visa versa). It just makes sense.

Dom is 42. He is no spring chicken. He very well could retire, espesically is we win the Cup.

With a lack of goaltending depth on the UFA market, what do you think the Wings should do? I'm not a Hasek fan, but if he doesn't retire, I just don't see a better choice in net. I could see a guy like Belfour stepping in for a season like Dom did, but that is a lateral move in net. As much as I wish there was someone available at an affordable price to take Dom's place, there simply isn't.

The best possible UFA options are Giguere and Backstrom. Backstrom is largely unproven, evenso, he most likely will attract a lot of attention from several teams. Giguere is simply going to cost too much. He will command $6 million per, I just don't see Kenny spending what little room we have in that manner.

So, who is your choice if Dom retires or signs elsewhere? This is just for fun, something to talk about on a day off. Again, I DO think Dom is our best option, this is just a hypothetical. Let's have some fun with it. Here are my ideas.

1. Denis: He had a horrible year in Tampa, there is a lot of talk he will get bought out. He was amazing for the Jackets. I think he'd be worth a one-year shot.

2. Theodore: I know, I know, he has also been awful. But again, what would it hurt to sign him to a one-year deal? Even if say he wanted a three-year deal, remember he was the league MVP once. Worse case senario, we buy him out.

3. Osgood Liv/Howard: I'm not sure how I feel about these guys. I like Ozzie, I think he could backstop us without much trouble, and the young guys need some steady NHL experience sometime.

Remember, just have FUN with this....

What about Turco I have heard some rumblings that he might be moved out of Dallas

One name that Im suprised no one has really mentioned is Kiprusoff. We all know his ability and with a better defense in front of him, just think of the possibilities. With Iginla being Calgary's #1 priority this offseason, it is very possible that Kipper could hit the market.

Another possibility is the trade. Both Anaheim and San Jose always seem to be the center of possible goalie trades. Both Bryzgalov and Toskala have proven to be solid starters in the past and it's possible one of them could be headed to a #1 spot this year. Chris Mason of Nashville is also rumored to be on the block, but with questions about Vokoun I doubt that will happen this year. Another possibility is that if Boston goes after a big time goalie (Giguere and Kipper) then Tim Thomas could go somewhere else.

Who knows, maybe we can see something totally unexpected like the Bertuzzi-Luongo trade. Maybe Ozzie will step back into the number one. Maybe Jimmy Howard will emerge like Cam Ward did last year. You can never exactly tell with Kenny, but you acn always trust him to make the move thats best for the team.

I know some people don't like the idea of a stop-gap goalie, but I still believe that Howard needs another year. If he needs 1 more year (and since this thread is predicated on the assumption Hasek doesn't come back) then we would want a 1 year goalie that won't break the bank.

ANSWER: Vesa Toskala. Vesa has 1 year left on his contract and I believe he is making UNDER 2 mil. Also, the Sharks have been shopping him, reportedly for a first round pick from FLA. Well, since our first round pics are less valuable, we'd have to sweeten the deal a bit, but I think Vesa would be perfect.

Then, if he turns into a Kipper and will re-sign for a reasonable amount, we have a blue chip talent in Howard that we could use for trade, and the back-up of the future in Liv (or visa versa). It just makes sense.

Q: Why would SJS give up a young, cheap starter for a first rounder? SJS isnt the Flyers - they're a contender and would give up Nabokov before Vesa any day of the week. They have similiar skills and Nabokov makes what, $6mill? They arent shopping Vesa.

One name that Im suprised no one has really mentioned is Kiprusoff. We all know his ability and with a better defense in front of him, just think of the possibilities. With Iginla being Calgary's #1 priority this offseason, it is very possible that Kipper could hit the market.

I hear that Calgary is looking to build around Kipper, and Jarome may be on the block...

What about Turco I have heard some rumblings that he might be moved out of Dallas

We'd have to trade for Turco, I don't think we have what it would take to get him.

Another possibility is the trade. Both Anaheim and San Jose always seem to be the center of possible goalie trades. Both Bryzgalov and Toskala have proven to be solid starters in the past and it's possible one of them could be headed to a #1 spot this year. Chris Mason of Nashville is also rumored to be on the block, but with questions about Vokoun I doubt that will happen this year. Another possibility is that if Boston goes after a big time goalie (Giguere and Kipper) then Tim Thomas could go somewhere else.

Who knows, maybe we can see something totally unexpected like the Bertuzzi-Luongo trade. Maybe Ozzie will step back into the number one. Maybe Jimmy Howard will emerge like Cam Ward did last year. You can never exactly tell with Kenny, but you acn always trust him to make the move thats best for the team.

Kipper is signed through next season, our first crack at him would be after the 0-08 season.

I hear that Calgary is looking to build around Kipper, and Jarome may be on the block...

You did hear this. The TSN guys were speculating after Clagary got bumped by the Wings.

It makes perfect sence. If you had to chose only one of Kipper and Iginla, you have to go with Kipper.

After seeing how the whole Ryan Smith situation played out, I highly doubt that Iggy will get moved. He wants to stay, Sutter wants him back. He will be a Flame for at least the next few years. Kipper and Iggy will eat up about $12-14 of the salary cap. Calgary will work from there.

Giguere and Backstrom are the only decent options really, but the chances of landing them are slim to none. Giguere will ask for a lot of money and Backstrom will likely stay in Minnesota.

Belfour is an idiot, and is miles past his prime. Pass.

Theodore would only become a good goalie again if he played in a market where has zero pressure to perform, such as Phoenix or Florida. He would get fried here in Detroit, by not only the opposing teams players, but us, the fans. Pass.

Joseph will never play here again. I think we all know why, so I don't need to disgress any further.

And I've got to say here: I find it so funny that some of you actually think Marc Denis should be the guy. Why not just keep Osgood? Osgood is a decent goalie and can hold on to at least the backup job. Denis can't even do that. He lost out to Karri Rammo, and was the #3 goalie.

There's not much to choose from, as you can see. There are a few other names thrown around of guys that have been starters before, like Robert Esche, Jocelyn Thibault, David Aebischer, Sean Burke, Kevin Weekes, Brian Boucher, Mike Dunham or Mika Noronen, but in reality we would just be better off keeping Hasek or going with Osgood as the starter.

As far as Belfour is concerned, Dom is also way passed his prime, so what makes him so different?

The only guy worth looking at in the group you mentioned is Aebischer, much like Denis and Theodore, he has just been on the wrong end of a bad season. Theodore can play under pressure, he did win an MVP while playing in Montreal, arguably the hardest city for a goaltender to play.

I still maintain if Dom wants to come back, and he is willing to take a paycut (his salary was over $1.5 this season) to return, sign him.

Jim Howard.

I'm sick of hearing "He's not ready..another year." How can one tell if he's ready without experience? Let him play, if Dom is gone. Split the games between Osgood and Howard. If Howard if failing, try out Liv. We don't need to buy a goalie when we already have them.

What we need to do is boost our blueline this offseason. We need one big tough guy on D. I don't know who is out there, but thats what we need the most. Second, some bigger, meaner forwards.

As far as Belfour is concerned, Dom is also way passed his prime, so what makes him so different?

We might as well just keep Hasek rather then bring in Belfour. I hate Belfour personally, so I guess that kind of effects my judgement, but still. Hasek had a good season this year, and I think if he wants to come back, just let him.

Jim Howard.

I'm sick of hearing "He's not ready..another year." How can one tell if he's ready without experience? Let him play, if Dom is gone. Split the games between Osgood and Howard. If Howard if failing, try out Liv. We don't need to buy a goalie when we already have them.

What we need to do is boost our blueline this offseason. We need one big tough guy on D. I don't know who is out there, but thats what we need the most. Second, some bigger, meaner forwards.

Howard is not even a proven AHL goaltender. What makes you think he'll be any better in the NHL? Unless he turns out like Dan Cloutier, where he might look good with a good team in front of him, what's the use of bringing him up?

Why in the world would we get rid of Hasek if he doesn't retire? Someone give me an actual reason.... because seriously?

Well, given his stats this season, he may want more money than he would be worth to us. I couldn't justify spending more than what we did this year on him. IMO there is too much injury risk with him to pay him more.

But the original idea of this thread was in the event Hasek doesn't return, regardless of why, what would we do for a goaltender.

Why in the world would we get rid of Hasek if he doesn't retire? Someone give me an actual reason.... because seriously?

The fans apparently like the Wings playing musical goalies every year.

Well, given his stats this season, he may want more money than he would be worth to us. I couldn't justify spending more than what we did this year on him. IMO there is too much injury risk with him to pay him more.

But the original idea of this thread was in the event Hasek doesn't return, regardless of why, what would we do for a goaltender.

I highly doubt he'll ask for $8 mil or something. He took very little to play this year, while I'm sure he'll get a raise, I think he'd not ask for anything *too* ridiculous...

But if we can't afford to give Hasek a raise, we definitely can't afford to pull in a big name goaltender SO Ozzie/Howard all they way, eh?

IPB Image

we already lost 450 k cap space for next season due to hasek's bonus's i was wondering if anyone else knew how the bonus's work , if they go the west finals how much more does he get ??

According to a site I found, we owe Dom about another $800k already, and an additional $1.1 if we win the Cup.

I highly doubt he'll ask for $8 mil or something. He took very little to play this year, while I'm sure he'll get a raise, I think he'd not ask for anything *too* ridiculous...

But if we can't afford to give Hasek a raise, we definitely can't afford to pull in a big name goaltender SO Ozzie/Howard all they way, eh?

IPB Image

I'm not saying he'd ask for a ridiculous amount, but I really can't see spending more than $1-1.5 on him as a good investment. I'd take him with the same contract or near it, but not much more.

I love Ozzie, he is the ideal mentor for Howard and Liv. I would like to see Ozzie get more love and PT. I think he would be just fine as a starter, giving him about 30-40 games, and breaking up the other 40-50 between Howard and Liv, depending on their preformances.