• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wing Nut

Why are the Duck fans / press so cocky?

Rate this topic

The Ducks have the edge, no question...The Wings still have a great chance. If we get secondary scoring (where would be without Sammy coming through with the deadly dagger goals vs the Sharks?) we'll do fine. It's gut check time for Bert. Our pk is also going to be so key--I just have this image in my head of Pronger/Niedermayer chucking wristers on net and getting pinball goals--not good.

Perhaps most of all, the Wings need to go back and look at the video of the games the Wings chased Giguere the year after the Ducks bounced us. Didn't we own him for the next several games in the reg. season?

Agreed.

I say Wings in 6 ( 1 ot win )

I think the difference in the series will be depth, the ducks have nothing past Pronger and Niedermeyer on D...they do not have enuff offense. I think games 1-4 will be low scroing and tight until Pronger and Niedermayere start to wear down after tthe Wings are able to roll 4 lines at them. They are averaging 30 and 29 mins each...that won't work against the Wings skill.

I wouldn't suggest the Wings have nothing past Prong/Nied. They also have Beauchemin (sp?) and a remaining group of servicable guys. That's akin to saying the Wings have nothing past Lidstrom. Just because they aren't household names doesn't mean they aren't up to the task. They don't have to defend the Wings top line and while the Wings have some good balance to their scoring, their 3rd and 4th lines are not offensive powerhouses.

The idea that the icetime of Prong/Nied won't work against the Wings skill is truly bizarre. They play like this all the time. They played like this against the Wild and the Nucks and it worked well. Those two teams are far more physical than the Wings. I don't see the Wings skill crumpling the Ducks D in the corners. If anything, playing the Wings will seem like a walk in the park compare to the physical toll the other two teams tried to put on these guys. You surely can't think that the Wings can outrun Scott N either.

Here's my take:

Goaltending - call it a draw individually, advantage Ducks for the tandem should the starters go down. However, Dom will provide more heart attack moments than JS and is more likely to cost his team a game. Both can easily steal a game.

D - advantage Ducks. I think all can agree that the top 3 dmen in the world are in this series. The Ducks have two of them. That said, TEAM defense is advantage Wings. Best GAA in the playoffs and I personally will take Chris Draper over anyone, no matter how underappreciated/overlooked they are.

F - tie. This one is so close and will swing back and forth throughout the series and throughout each game. If they play as they can and as they should, the Ducks two top lines are more physical than the Wings and this will play a factor against the depleted Wings D. The Ducks are scoring slightly more goals than the Wings through 2 rounds, but the Wings big guns have shown up more than the Ducks so far.

Coaching - even. Both are more than adequate coaches, but let's face it, neither is the type to be a significant factor in the playoffs.

Style - I don't care about the differences, what I see is one large similarity. Both teams just keep coming. If there is one word to describe the Wings its poise - they never seem to lose it. Even if they get running around in their own zone, its more of a shift thing than a game thing. They are very European - just play the system. The Ducks are much the same, but their's is based more on speed than poise. Again, they just keep coming and coming and coming.

Intangibles - and here is where you throw out everything I just said, cuz it just doesn't matter. Paper evaluations are typically meaningless. On paper the Flames shouldn't have won in 2004 and the Wings shouldn't have beat SJ the last series. The Ducks know they can beat the Wings. They did it in 2003 and this year they have a far better team. As well, go back to what I said about style. The Wings are European, the Ducks are North American. More emotion, more dedication to the team and to each other than to the system. I'll take North American over European every time.

BUT, my belief is that you want to play the Wings in round 1 or 2, not 3 or 4. They've had two rounds of success and now they can start to smell it. Too many guys have been there, done that, got the ring. You can say what you want about old and slow, but experience and desire can make a huge difference too. The Wings are not just glad to be here and now that the goal is in sight, they'll be even tougher to play. Advantage Wings.

In the SJ series, the hidden intangible was adversity. The Wings handled it better than the Sharks and used that to turn and win the series. To me the hidden intangible is aggression. The Ducks can turn and win this series if they stick to a relentless attacking/hitting style of play. Not because they'll wear the Wings down, but because they seem to feed off of that style and find the open ice.

You have to go with the intangibles. Wings in 6 unless the Ducks kick in the hidden intangibles.

THe way I see it the teams are pretty even but I think the WIngs are a bit better...

We have better team defense, and the checking lines are equally talented but Draper and Maltby have so much playoff experience that I think that it gives them an edge, and scoring is also pretty much even.

I think that Dom is a better goalie than Giguere, as well

I'm suprised this is bothering you. Usually you were one of the people telling us not to be bothered by the Wings bashing in the media.

It really doesn't bother me, because I've heard it all before. It's just one big cliche that follows the Wings: old, soft, and European. If the Wings win the Cup though, which I certainly believe they will, all this stuff people say won't mean a thing. And all these so-called "experts" can warm up their crow and have a nice helping of it. :D

That's the thing. I'm just so sick of everyone disrespecting the Wings. It bothers me because of the lack of the credit they are getting. I just don't understand it and I thought maybe after the first two rounds and how great they played that everyone would shut up, and then I read this crap and it's like how immature can someone get? I'm better now though. We'll have the last laugh and that's all that matters.

I will say it again: IGNORE THE LA TIMES! They wouldn't know hockey if it backhanded them across the face. They cover the Kings, what more need I say? They're all stupid. Read the OC Register if you want info on the Ducks and the REAL, viable opinions.

I will say it again: IGNORE THE LA TIMES! They wouldn't know hockey if it backhanded them across the face. They cover the Kings, what more need I say? They're all stupid. Read the OC Register if you want info on the Ducks and the REAL, viable opinions.

Well, it's not that I went on to their site or anything. I got the Detroit News today at a local store and when I opened it up, the LA times article was in there. I had no choice really. lol

Guest Tunbo Batman

yup. every team is so much tougher and better than us before we beat them. after we beat them, well they are soulless and slow and soft.

i have a feeling the experts will pick ottawa in 5 against us in 2 weeks, since you know, we will have no merit at all beating those unidimensional, overrated ducks :P

Well, it's not that I went on to their site or anything. I got the Detroit News today at a local store and when I opened it up, the LA times article was in there. I had no choice really. lol

Hello all,yet another Ducks fan looking forward to some hardhitting action. I'm looking forward to some good matchups in this series. Tons of respect for the dreaded wings,they always seem to be in the thick of the cup hunt every year. Even with the New NHL they couldn't sap the wings of their strength,Great drafting will do that for you. I'm very eager to see how the shut down line for the ducks matches up in particular against DATSYUK AND ZETTERBERG. Pahllson has been exceptional this year,but i must confess Datsyuk scares the hell out of me. I'm expecting some hard fought low scoring affairs as both team defenses are stingy and both offenses while having exceptional first lines,still have some questions to answer from line 2 down. Cheers to a great series and some hard hitting action.

Hello all,yet another Ducks fan looking forward to some hardhitting action. I'm looking forward to some good matchups in this series. Tons of respect for the dreaded wings,they always seem to be in the thick of the cup hunt every year. Even with the New NHL they couldn't sap the wings of their strength,Great drafting will do that for you. I'm very eager to see how the shut down line for the ducks matches up in particular against DATSYUK AND ZETTERBERG. Pahllson has been exceptional this year,but i must confess Datsyuk scares the hell out of me. I'm expecting some hard fought low scoring affairs as both team defenses are stingy and both offenses while having exceptional first lines,still have some questions to answer from line 2 down. Cheers to a great series and some hard hitting action.

Welcome to the boards! Thanks for being awesome, and coming on here with respect. It's going to be a great series indeed!

I'm just so sick of everyone disrespecting the Wings.

You've got to look at in context, though.

- The major networks need to make a story out of this matchup in order to the garner attention. Frankly, "Teams evenly-matched. Could go either way" isn't going to sell as well as "Rugged Ducks have advantage over those buncha softies that we love to hate" will.

- The Ducks fans are going to vehemently support their team because that's what fans do, and when you mix in the strange California hockey culture and a lack of serious history behind the franchise...well, you get the idea.

- The Ducks themselves know that if they're going to beat the Wings, they're going to have to get them off their game and wear them down physically. Regardless of how well the Wings have done thus far, that is the way to beat them. The Wings themselves would tell you that.

you ain't lyin'... they should stick to covering the lakers. :lol:

You've got to look at in context, though.

- The major networks need to make a story out of this matchup in order to the garner attention. Frankly, "Teams evenly-matched. Could go either way" isn't going to sell as well as "Rugged Ducks have advantage over those buncha softies that we love to hate" will.

- The Ducks fans are going to vehemently support their team because that's what fans do, and when you mix in the strange California hockey culture and a lack of serious history behind the franchise...well, you get the idea.

- The Ducks themselves know that if they're going to beat the Wings, they're going to have to get them off their game and wear them down physically. Regardless of how well the Wings have done thus far, that is the way to beat them. The Wings themselves would tell you that.

I think any fanbase is gonna back their boys,nature of the beast. I think you need look no further then their regular season matchups to determine how the series might tilt. The wings really play lockdown D at home and showed the ducks how hard keeping the puck in the zone and actually getting shots was gonna be. 2-1 AND 1-0 games look highly likely. At the Honda Center the games had a more free flow and really opened up offensively but i don't suspect the ducks will have as easy a time as they did in their previous meetings at HC. Giguere has been outstanding and playing really well and The dominator has really impressed me in both series. Its really a crap shoot in guessing this series don't let the press or loudmouth fans tell you differently. The players all know its gonna be decided by bounces and it all comes down to hardwork and some luck. The hockey culture in California is growing,its never gonna be Canada,Detroit,Minnesota, but thats to be expected. I think if you attend some games at the honda center you would be pleasantly surprised at the atmosphere and love of the game,its not the Joe,but people love the game in Cali overall. While i think the ducks forecheck could prove decisive in this series i'm gonna take a wait and see approach because one thing detroit always does is surprise with me with their resolve and i gotta say Babcock knows how to win in playoff hockey.

That's the thing. I'm just so sick of everyone disrespecting the Wings. It bothers me because of the lack of the credit they are getting. I just don't understand it and I thought maybe after the first two rounds and how great they played that everyone would shut up, and then I read this crap and it's like how immature can someone get? I'm better now though. We'll have the last laugh and that's all that matters.

Look at it as a blessing in disguise. If it weren't for some of these low-bridge articles that these idiots are writing, the Wings might not have been fired up enough to prove them wrong and win the previous series. In reality, this sort of thing can work in our favor.

Really odd considering the Sharks were a "YOUNG, FAST, GRITTY' team to be feared a few days ago. How hard is it to figure out this guy is talking out of his A$$. Anyone who "BUYS INTO" what this clown is saying doesn't pay attention to the rest of the world. Who cares...

:thumbdown:

The guy is a writer for the LA times. Of course he's not gonna like the Sharks.

1) Pronger is NOT a Wings killer. Quite the opposite in fact. The ONLY time he has performed well was last year. Prior to that, the Red Wings wiped their asses with his jersey most often in the playoffs.

Thank god you called this guy on that. I can't believe that after one series win against the wings by pronger anyone could call him a wing killer after the years ass whippings we gave that guy in the playoffs.

CODEMAN

Thank god you called this guy on that. I can't believe that after one series win against the wings by pronger anyone could call him a wing killer after the years ass whippings we gave that guy in the playoffs.

CODEMAN

yeah thank god that guys an idiot

;)

No, he isn't.

Pronger is a very solid defenseman and judging from his selection as a finalist for the Norris trophy and his past one of the best. He can be beat,i've seen it numerous times this year. The best way to beat him is with a rush through the zone with your wingers,they can get around him. The thing to remember is he will always make up for a mistake with his plastic man arms. The guy can reach into the stands and grab your soda with his reach and hes one of the best poke check artists in the game today. While i think there were at least ten guys in the league this year that could have been nominated also for the norris,he clearly had a great year and is worthy of praise. He isn't very well liked around the league,but hes an exceptional talent and has added a real presence that cannot go unlooked to the ducks. My boy is Frankie B though,he is vastly underrated just like Lilja who has just been phenomenal this year. I think we're in for one hell of a defensive battle tonight,looking forward to it.

what's so bad about this article?

most of what is written is true.

wings will lose this series, they just don't have the depth.

wings were lucky that the sharks tanked and shot themselves in the foot, how many total mins did the wings lead the sharks by in their series? like < 30?

and the wings have never faired well against the ducks. they will get exploited and exposed in every way by the ducks... size, speed, depth, health... the only hope for the wings is hasek to stand on his head every game and the ducks beating themselves.

Edited by Hossa

what's so bad about this article?

most of what is written is true.

wings will lose this series, they just don't have the depth.

wings were lucky that the sharks tanked and shot themselves in the foot, how many total mins did the wings lead the sharks by in their series? like < 30?

and the wings have never faired well against the ducks. they will get exploited and exposed in every way by the ducks... size, speed, depth, health... the only hope for the wings is hasek to stand on his head every game and the ducks beating themselves.

yah wings never failed well against the ducks yah before 2003 the wings swept them twice. point is this anyone who thinks this series is going less than six games is a moron the ducks may win this series but the wings will give them a fight they have beaten cagary a big physical team and san jose a big physical team the experts are picking anahiem just like they picked cagary and san jose on paper the ducks should win but the game is played on a 200 by 85 foot slab of ice lets wait and see folks my prediction wings in 6

yeah thank god that guys an idiot

;)

BUT, my belief is that you want to play the Wings in round 1 or 2, not 3 or 4.

Calfan: Your posts are outstanding.. another one of them sneaky media-members posing as a regular dude. :P I especially like when you said it's better to get the Wings in rounds 1 or 2, I so agree.

Pronger, overrated?

What a joke. Anyone that thinks Pronger is overrated loses their right to be taken seriously. It's pretty clear that you can't comment objectively if you think Pronger is overrated.

Tunbo Batman thinks everyone is overrated. ;)