• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
union drone

Redwings flashback: 2002

Rate this topic

I was in Sault Ste Marie at the Kewadin Hotel. It was the State Convention of the Fraternal Order of Eagles (yes I am a member of the Auxiliary), and my hubby and I were sharing a suite with our friends Jim and Carol Weiss. Jim and Terry were at a meeting, Carol was in one of the bedrooms reading and I was in the living room area of the suite watching the game and laughing my ass off. About the time it got to 3-0, Terry called me from downstairs and asked me to come join him, Jim, and a few others in the bar. That's where I saw the 4th and 5th goals. Then we went back upstairs to another friend's suite for an open bar, and that's where I saw the last two goals.

The next morning (Saturday), I met the Grand Madam President of the Auxiliary, who happened to be from North Carolina. "I have a problem,' I said to her. "Your Hurricanes are playing my Red Wings, and you're gonna lose."

"No we're not!", she vehemently replied. "We're gonna win!"

"Wings in five", I said. "You watch."

Damned if I didn't call it right on the money!

I was at my house with some family, and friends. We went all out for the game. Food, Appetizers, Drinks, etc.. it was a blast. I remember after Robitaille scored the third goal with about 9 minutes to the first we all just stared at each other and had HUGE smiles on our face. We all went CRAZY for every single goal that was scored. It was amazing. Easily my favorite Red Wings game, ever.

Ahh and then the PATRICCCKKKK chants. And the NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA HEY HEY HEY GOODBYE.

GOOD TIMES! :D

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

I was Home Alone, in Mount Carroll, Illinois, at age 14, and when that first sweet shot floated by (keep in mind, was watching this in the living room's 32" TV with the 2000+ Watt stereo on) THE CITY OF MOUNT CARROLL WAS ALIGHT WITH THE JOE LOUIS GOAL HORN!!!!!!!!! SEVEN TIMES! It was all i could do from fainting from laughing so hard, i nearly Pissed myself!

No great story here, I was just at my parents' house in Solon, OH watching it as part of killing off the LONG couple months between my graduation from PSU and moving out on my own. I seem to remember having to duck yardwork to watch it, but I could be wrong about that.

I was at friend of the family's house for a hockey party. That was a great game..I remember being so amused.

Out of all the Cups we won, though, that one meant the least to me, so I don't think I was quite as excited as some of you.

However, if they win it this year......

Guest bullocks

i was at home watchin it on my 52" with surround sound...i remember going up so quick in that game but being really nervous b4 it...and knowing we'd win after going up about 3-0 It was great!

In some little Irish bar in Hot Springs Arkansas of all places. Wife and I went camping for the weekend and I told her in advance that if went to 7, we were going to find a place to watch the game - no ifs, ands or buts.

We walk into this joint and ask if we can watch the game on ESPN. The girl points to an empty side room of the bar and says, "Go ahead you can watch it in there." Had the whole room and big screen to ourselves. Everytime we cheered and hollered the 10 people in the bar would look over like we were insane.

I was at friend of the family's house for a hockey party. That was a great game..I remember being so amused.

Out of all the Cups we won, though, that one meant the least to me, so I don't think I was quite as excited as some of you.

However, if they win it this year......

98 was my fave. The whole Vladdy situation, and Ozzie proving the WORLD wrong. But damn '02 was freaking pure domination from everyone. I think maybe it was the least exciting because we all knew no matter what they were going to win it all with that completely stacked/ hall of fame line up.

I'll tell you what though and im sure you're going to agree because you kinda hinted about this year. IF the Wings win it this year, it would be my absolute favorite. Love the line up more than any of the years past. I know that may sound crazy because of Stevie, Shanny, Feds, etc.. but I don't know..just something about this Wings team that is so different than all the rest. I just love the make of them. I don't know. lol

98 was my fave. The whole Vladdy situation, and Ozzie proving the WORLD wrong. But damn '02 was freaking pure domination from everyone. I think maybe it was the least exciting because we all knew no matter what they were going to win it all with that completely stacked/ hall of fame line up.

I'll tell you what though and im sure you're going to agree because you kinda hinted about this year. IF the Wings win it this year, it would be my absolute favorite. Love the line up more than any of the years past. I know that may sound crazy because of Stevie, Shanny, Feds, etc.. but I don't know..just something about this Wings team that is so different than all the rest. I just love the make of them. I don't know. lol

I agree. Best. Line-up. Ever. this year.

That was the thing with '02 that I didn't like. I always felt that we bought that Cup, and it was too much of an all-star team for my liking. In 97 and 98 we had some people we brought in but most of the team was drafted or a cast off from another team (except Shanny), and thus it made it all the greater. I also think 98 was the best Cup. I sort of disown the 02 Cup, honestly :ph34r: I always defended the team when everyone said the Wings bought our teams in 97 and 98, but how could I in 02...it was a disapointment in that respect. Plus, it took like 3 years for me to get over Ozzie leaving, so that was still a painful memory then.

So, this line-up pretty much rules all. Since Fedorov was on the team I haven't loved a specific line-up quite so much...actually probably since 99 or 00. If Feds was on the team now it would be maybe better for me, but I don't know, I do love this line-up.

And if we WIN...OMG...sign them all back up, Kenny!!! :thumbup:

Guest jaytan

'97 might have been my favorite, just because I thought we'd NEVER win until that one, but I like 2002 a lot because that capped a great hockey year for me. Team Canada? Check. Golden Gophers? Check, and I was there (sorry Wolverines fans :P)! Red Wings? Check, plus we beat colorado!

Great times.

I was at a bar in Madison WI, with a few of my Michiganian friends and other people who didn't care about the game. I was extremely nervous and regretting agreeing to go out to watch the game. But it turnde out to be the perfect game to watch with a bunch of people. I could relax and have fun starting from about half-way through the first period.

This thread has inspired me to rewatch that game until the start of tonight's game. It's funny, there was a long stoppage in play about 30 sec into the game to get some octopus sludge off the ice, and the ESPN commentators made a big deal about how that would take the crowd out of the game and how it would be detrimental to the wings. Yeah, that didn't last long.

Guest REDWINGS4LYFE

i was watching the game at home, i was 14 years old at the time

...This thread has inspired me to rewatch that game until the start of tonight's game. It's funny, there was a long stoppage in play about 30 sec into the game to get some octopus sludge off the ice, and the ESPN commentators made a big deal about how that would take the crowd out of the game and how it would be detrimental to the wings. Yeah, that didn't last long.

Is that game on that Detroit Red Wings box set? if it is, I'm ordering it right now.

I was watching it at home with my dad and brother. I remember after Fedorov's goals and Homer's second goal we all went especially insane. The only time I think we've ever been louder was when we had the whole family over for Game 5 of the Finals and Shanny put it into the empty net to ice the game.

The neighbors always say they dont have to watch the games to know how the Wings did.

Is that game on that Detroit Red Wings box set? if it is, I'm ordering it right now.

Yes it is.

Yes sir! Order it up!!

Yes that's how I'm watching it. I have to say, I was a little disappointed with the choice of this game when I first got the set a few years ago. I would have preferred Game 2 of the WCF from 1997 or Game 2 of the SCF from 1998. But actually this game is so much damn fun to watch, it's perfect for this box set. The game that actually stands out as pretty boring is game 3 of the SCF from 2002. Carolina clutching and grabbing their way to a late 2-1 lead, Hull tying it late, 2 rather boring OT periods and Larionov scoring in the 3OT. Would have made a better highlight reel. Game 2, SCF '98 was in my recollection the most exciting game I've ever seen.

Yes that's how I'm watching it. I have to say, I was a little disappointed with the choice of this game when I first got the set a few years ago. I would have preferred Game 2 of the WCF from 1997 or Game 2 of the SCF from 1998. But actually this game is so much damn fun to watch, it's perfect for this box set. The game that actually stands out as pretty boring is game 3 of the SCF from 2002. Carolina clutching and grabbing their way to a late 2-1 lead, Hull tying it late, 2 rather boring OT periods and Larionov scoring in the 3OT. Would have made a better highlight reel. Game 2, SCF '98 was in my recollection the most exciting game I've ever seen.

I agree...I'll always remember that game too. I was in Florida and remember talking to dad on the phone saying "Oh well, onto Game 3." Of course...things took a good turn.

I agree. Best. Line-up. Ever. this year.

That was the thing with '02 that I didn't like. I always felt that we bought that Cup, and it was too much of an all-star team for my liking. In 97 and 98 we had some people we brought in but most of the team was drafted or a cast off from another team (except Shanny), and thus it made it all the greater. I also think 98 was the best Cup. I sort of disown the 02 Cup, honestly :ph34r: I always defended the team when everyone said the Wings bought our teams in 97 and 98, but how could I in 02...it was a disapointment in that respect. Plus, it took like 3 years for me to get over Ozzie leaving, so that was still a painful memory then.

So, this line-up pretty much rules all. Since Fedorov was on the team I haven't loved a specific line-up quite so much...actually probably since 99 or 00. If Feds was on the team now it would be maybe better for me, but I don't know, I do love this line-up.

And if we WIN...OMG...sign them all back up, Kenny!!! :thumbup:

Really ?

I love the 02 cup , hasek was always one of my favs , as soon as we traded for him I bought a Dom jersey :ph34r:

Then when we signed Robataille .. I was ESTASTIC. He was one of my all time favs , Sergei and Stevie was easily the best 1-2 punch for Centerman in the league. Then we got Hull , I didnt really like him , but he was a agme changer, I started to like him.

Plus we had Mac , Drapes and Malts playing together , which was my favorite line.

And when we beat Colorado 7-0 , That just made it way more sweeter.

97 will always be my favorite , Lapointe , Vladdy , Kozzie , Fetisov , Shanny , Yzerman , Fedorov Vernie. Kocur (Who was our best player apart from Vladdy and Stevie against Philly that year)

Thats why I always watch the Wings championship dvd. I watched 98 today. What a goof Ron Wilson used to be :lol: