• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

regwinguofmfan

I have never been a Hasek fan

Rate this topic

I'm not what you'd call a fan of Hasek by any means, he's bugged me since his days in Buffalo. I even started a thread bitching about him lying on his back instead of covering the net. And I don't think he had a very good game last night.

All that being said, I still think he's our best option in net. Overall this playoff year and regular season he's been pretty dang good. A few times a game he gives me a heart attack, but quite a few times a game our defense as a team gives me a heart attack and he saves our ass. He's been one of the best players on the team just about every game.

I don't like him, but I love him in net for the Wings (as much as I hate to admit that). I think he'll come out pissed in Game 5 and basically refuse to lose back to back games.

Ozzie has been good for us in the past, and does an admirable job in net, but Hasek is our #1 goaltender, no doubt.

Once again, for the slower people on here.

He has had a few games in these playoffs he did not play well.

Last night was one of them.

I am alot more comfortable with Osgood than Hasek.

He handles the puck alot better and you know what you are gonna get from him. A solid effort every single game.

Yes, Ozzie is way better at handling the puck when he's fishing it out of the back of the net...

I almost feel like gouging my eyes out after reading all this drivel. You obviously are just here to antagonize and drag people into this pointless thread... sad thing is, we have obliged you.

Hasek had one goal that he shouldn't have let in when he played the puck around the net and gave it away, but other than that, it just wasn't his night. He will be great in game 5 guaranteed.

He handles the puck alot better and you know what you are gonna get from him. A solid effort every single game.

To question Hasek's performance last night and throughout these playoffs is one thing, but to actually question Dom's effort is sheer stupidity. The guy's practice habits are absolutely legendary, and all you hear about him is how much he hates letting pucks in behind him. Hasek's as competitive a goalie as there is in the game right now.

And where were you following Games 1 and 3? I find it amusing that people like you only want to talk about Dominik Hasek after we lose.

Hasek obviously had an 'off' night. Well, it's no wonder, all the traveling they've done in thee last how many weeks? Maybe you sould watch the replay of the game again, there were a few bounces that Hasek had no cance on. Not his fault.

It's okay to not like Hasek, but right now, he is our number one goalie, and for the entire playoffs, so far, he has played like it. This is hockey. Bounces go one way or the other. Luck plays a lot into it too.

But no worries, though, because Hasek's worth ethic and competitiveness will make up for one game that wasn't great for him. He's human and can't be perfect all the time!!!

GO WINGS!!!!

i'm not even sure i believe he had an off night... two of the four goals were absolutely not his fault, he was screened 100%. as for the other 2... one was a blazing slapshot from up close and the other a deflection. Besides, if those second two WERE completely his fault, he'd still only have let in 2 goals. Wings win 3-2 and this thread never exists. So yeah, I don't think he had much of an off night.

Do you?

I assume you've never watched Buffalo or Ottawa either, or the Olympics, or any All Star Games or other hockey aside from the Yucks. I am willing to bet on that fact, actually. Are you actually 15, because if you are, it explains a lot.

The question was valid, seriously, get off it. It wasn't even accusatory--you started pointing the finger when someone wondered at Hasek's non-removal of the helmet... and assumed that everyone gets broadcasts of the anthem being sung, or has for sure gone to see a game with him in it.

Or even that everyone pays that much attention to the guy. Yeah, he's played 14 years, that doesn't mean that fans from SoCal to New Brunswick are going to know the lowdown on Dom's habits. Guy didn't start anything with that one, so lay off.

Please don't get all righteously defensive after reading this, either. I merely consider your expectation here of other fans to be ridiculous in terms of the 411 on Dominik Hasek. Again, that question was completely valid, and non-hostile.

It is totally reasonable to not know, believe it or not.

I don't even mean this as a rip on Osgood (because you could say this about 90% of the goalies in the league and it would still ring true), but if you'd prefer him in net over Hasek, you need to get your head examined.

Like I said in the other thread, based on a very quick look at the stats this year, Osgood allowed 4+ goals six times. Hasek did it 7 (in many more starts). Ozzie's most definitely not the model of consistency you make him out to be.

Dom's had a few average games in these playoffs and one or two bad ones. It's impossible to go through a 16 game stretch (which hopefully will end up being around 24 games or so) and be at your absolute best every single night when you're playing good teams all the time. Those guys on the Flames, Sharks, and Ducks are paid to play hockey too and some of them are pretty damn good at it. We've had the hardest route (by far) to the Final Four of any team in the league, and in getting here we beat (IMO) the best team in hockey (apart from us, of course) and now we're facing (again, IMO) the second best team in the league. You're not going to win every series 4-0 and every game isn't going to be a shutout. These are good hockey teams. They're going to score some goals.

As it is, he's giving up well under two goals per game, and that will win you a Stanley Cup. We've been tied 2-2 in two other series, and after that point, Hasek is 4-0 and has given up 3 goals TOTAL.

We're fine.

Edited for clarification on a couple of points.

-Tim

Edited by Packer487

Guest Crymson

Hasek has on the whole played better than pretty much any other goalie throughout these playoffs. That's the point.

Hasek did not play badly last night. Also, list what other games you are referring to in which he played badly.

I believe even the hardcore Osgood fans on this board are happy that Babcock does not share your comfort level; while Osgood is very skilled, I'm confident they're very aware that Hasek is our best option. Beyond this, I think this entire board will laugh out loud at any notion that Hasek does not give his all EVERY game. His work ethic, self-drive and will to win are famous.

Just quit and admit you made a mistake. It's no big deal.

Yes, Ozzie is way better at handling the puck when he's fishing it out of the back of the net...

I almost feel like gouging my eyes out after reading all this drivel. You obviously are just here to antagonize and drag people into this pointless thread... sad thing is, we have obliged you.

Hasek had one goal that he shouldn't have let in when he played the puck around the net and gave it away, but other than that, it just wasn't his night. He will be great in game 5 guaranteed.

I evidently misunderstood you last night on IRC-- I had believed that you were blaming Hasek for the meltdown in the 1st. I apologize.

i'm not even sure i believe he had an off night... two of the four goals were absolutely not his fault, he was screened 100%. as for the other 2... one was a blazing slapshot from up close and the other a deflection. Besides, if those second two WERE completely his fault, he'd still only have let in 2 goals. Wings win 3-2 and this thread never exists. So yeah, I don't think he had much of an off night.

You made some good points here.

we don't know that. he could just be the first machine to pass the turing test.

he could be built to feel compassion, and understanding, and competitiveness, thus allowing him to let other teams win to keep things exciting.

hasekbot 5000

Evidently the factory build the groin area incorrectly. Have Holland order 5000 units tomorrow.

Edited by Crymson

Yep. And I gotta say I totally love the fact that you are not ragging on Oz.

Hey, I will when he deserves it. But the guy hasn't played a game in what? A month and a half--and he was pretty decent down the stretch (especially against Nashville). No sense in taking cheap shots for no reason, especially since he's a pretty likable guy when he's not throwing up his arms at his defensemen after a goal.

Like I said...he ain't as good as Hasek, but you could say that about pretty much everyone in the league. The guy is the best goalie of his era, and he's put up sparkling numbers so far in the playoffs. We could have Brick McWall in front of our goal and some people would rag on him for giving up too many rebounds.

-Tim

Personally, I think Dom's free wheeling style is what keeps him fresh at his age. I played a LOT of hockey, and the goalie position is the most boring. I know most goalies want to get out of the crease and have some fun. Dom does just that but at the expense of my ticker. Every time he is out, my heart stops.

The man has 6 pieces of hardware in his house, saying he was the best in the league.

Dom is a true competitor, not many men over 40 can compete (and DOMinate) on such a level.

Give the man a break.

If OZ was starter, the Wings would have been playing golf the last month.

The question was valid, seriously, get off it. It wasn't even accusatory--you started pointing the finger when someone wondered at Hasek's non-removal of the helmet... and assumed that everyone gets broadcasts of the anthem being sung, or has for sure gone to see a game with him in it.

Or even that everyone pays that much attention to the guy. Yeah, he's played 14 years, that doesn't mean that fans from SoCal to New Brunswick are going to know the lowdown on Dom's habits. Guy didn't start anything with that one, so lay off.

Please don't get all righteously defensive after reading this, either. I merely consider your expectation here of other fans to be ridiculous in terms of the 411 on Dominik Hasek. Again, that question was completely valid, and non-hostile.

It is totally reasonable to not know, believe it or not.

Here's the original post:

<<Hey whats the scoop on Hasek? At both games in Anaheim the guy wouldnt remove his helmet and respect the Flag of the USA . 2 games stood there with his helmet on while the Anthem was sung. Does he not appreciate the country he makes a living in ? Does he do this at JLA?>>

My initial reactions: What the hell? and STFU, came to mind. This guy looks for trouble, so don't bother to defend him as if the question was innocent, since it wasn't from the tone of it. You don't think it's hostile? Read it again.

The post was unwarranted, has no basis in fact, and doesn't have anything to do with Hasek or his play. It's meant to cause trouble. I think it's ridiculous to have to reach and make up things about Hasek's supposed lack of respect-- as if keeping his helmet on is an indicator? -- it's pretty sad.

Sorry you wasted your time trying to tell me to back off this poster. Not gonna happen. If this is too righteously defensive for ya, oh, well... I gave him attention, you encouraged him to do it some more. :clap:

Edited by puckloo39

If OZ was starter, the Wings would have been playing golf the last month.

Yeah, really? I don't think so.

Why do people always find it necessary to bring one Wings goalie down to make the other look better? They both are very good, and we all know Hasek is great. That is that. End of story.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

to be fair, yes, thi sis the internet and emotion is hard to show in text and it's up for interpretation, but the question was asked in an accusatory manner. "does he not appreciate the country he makes a living in?" does not in any way sound like a simple hockey fan wondering about dom's habits.

oh, and only on the internet, could you find a place where hasek is mentioned as a conn smythe candidate if we go all the way, AND as one of our worst players who osgood, CHRIS OSGOOD, should replace.

You're right, it does leave things up in the air, that's very true. I figured though that since he wasn't getting hostile with Loo after she responded the first time, he wasn't coming at it from a "let's goddamm get the pitchforks and torches" angle. He was questioning the guy's respect for other countries, but I don't think it warranted the over defensiveness -- due to this fact:

It's a natural question. Anyone sees a baseball player not take their cap off, they'll wonder about it. I wouldn't expect a Black Sox fan to know about, say, some unique thing about Pudge's catcher's mask if we applied the same example there.

Seriously, that's ridiculous and myopic.

@ HockeyCrazy3033

Dont get me wrong, I like OZ. But I feel Dom is better. Oz did bring a cup here. But I have seen both play for years, and Dom is better. If it was not so, then why was Oz brought in solely for the purpose as a backup to Dom?

@ ForsbergisaFairy

You know I didnt mean the games, but at practice, and those "fun times out on the ice. Every goalie I ever played with WANTED to get out of the goal and do something different when there was nothing at stake. We all did/do what we do best. I was a defenseman, so I aways played wing when I could. (I just sucked at center). In a nutshell, defense is not as fun.

With that said, Dom is a ectentric person, and he needs to roam, IMO.

I think it's ridiculous to have to reach and make up things about Hasek's supposed lack of respect-- as if keeping his helmet on is an indicator? -- it's pretty sad.

How in the world is that "making up things"? Imagine for one second this isn't Dom. Let's stretch this and say that Patrick Roy doesn't take off his helmet playing for the Avs during a singing of the Star Spangled Banner and a San Jose fan wonders about that.

I'm not attacking you. What I am doing is asking you to look beyond this and recognize that many an individual could have the same question spark in their mind, whoever -they- are, and whoever the -player- is.

No one is out to get Hasek.

@ HockeyCrazy3033

Dont get me wrong, I like OZ. But I feel Dom is better. Oz did bring a cup here. But I have seen both play for years, and Dom is better. If it was not so, then why was Oz brought in solely for the purpose as a backup to Dom?

I never stated that Dom wasn't better. I just didn't care for the fact that you brought Osgood down to make Hasek look better.

Yeah, really? I don't think so.

Why do people always find it necessary to bring one Wings goalie down to make the other look better? They both are very good, and we all know Hasek is great. That is that. End of story.

I think there's a lot of goalies who wouldn't have allowed us to get past the Flames, and even more who wouldn't have allowed us to get past the Sharks.

Dom gives this team that swagger they've been missing. He's the guy that makes teams think, "Oh s***" when they have to face him. He's the type of goalie that we as fans are always pissed that the Wings seem to draw.

I feel that he brings out the best in this team. They play better in front of him because they know that he's got their back if they make a mistake. It's a lot easier to play loose when you aren't scared to make a mistake.

I think we'd be golfing right now if Osgood was in net for us. Just the same as I think we'd be golfing if we still had Legace, or Cujo, or had picked up Gerber, Cloutier, or Belfour, or all but about 5 or 6 goalies in the league. And it's not a knock on any of them. It's the amount of respect that I have for the San Jose Sharks (and the amount of respect that I have for Kipper as a goalie). And it's the amount of respect that I have for the play of Dominik Hasek.

All 3 of the teams that we've played are extremely tough outs. Calgary was an 8-seed with one of the best goalies in hockey, San Jose may have been the best team in hockey, and if they aren't then Anaheim probably is (Red Wings excluded in this mix).

It's a lot different than playing the Islanders, Rangers, and Senators...I'll tell ya that much.

We're extremely fortunate that Hasek is around. I've been saying it since last summer...he's the only goalie on the market (Luongo excluded, who we never made an offer for) that could give us a chance to win the Cup this year. Hopefully he makes me feel smart. :D

-Tim

How in the world is that "making up things"? Imagine for one second this isn't Dom. Let's stretch this and say that Patrick Roy doesn't take off his helmet playing for the Avs during a singing of the Star Spangled Banner and a San Jose fan wonders about that.

I'm not attacking you. What I am doing is asking you to look beyond this and recognize that many an individual could have the same question spark in their mind, whoever -they- are, and whoever the -player- is.

No one is out to get Hasek.

I understand that you're not attacking me, Flip. You're one of my favorites on here. I am trying to point out that this guy had his way with you, amazingly enough.

OK, making up things, insinuating things, implying things... take your pick. Regardless, what was the point of questioning Hasek's respect for the league or the US? If he'd asked why Dom didn't take of his helmet, I would simply have said because of the straps and the way the helmet fits, he probably doesn't want to take the time to try and get the helmet back on in the crease before the puck drops. He'd get a delay of game if he took too long, most likely. ;)

In the interest of keeping the peace: I wish you wouldn't encourage this poster by validating him this way. He's no innocent, and I'll bet he loves it that you jumped on me -- and made my explanation about Dom's "disrespectful" habits seem less valid by pointing out that he was asking an innocent question. It's what he wanted, I suspect.

I am sorry, to you, if I upset you by defending Dom. I am not sorry to original poster.

I never stated that Dom wasn't better. I just didn't care for the fact that you brought Osgood down to make Hasek look better.

Well, on the roster, there are not many other options, are there?

Look at it this way.

Cups with Hasek - 1 (2002)

Cups with Osgood - 1 (1998)

Most recent: Hasek I am a big Osgood fan, I love the guy. But I think Hasek has more ability to lead us to a cup.

1 bad game and we should play Osgood.

Sometimes I wonder if some people are even Wings fans.

Hasek is the best goalie in the playoffs. No doubt about it , no one is better.

1st goal - Bert set that one up nicely

2nd one - Hit Markovs friggen skate , get real if you think some other goalie couldve stopped it.

3rd - Fluke

4th- Getzlafs great shot got through TRAFFIC. You cant stop what you cant see.

And , if you think osgood is better then Hasek , you need to get your head checked son , Ozzies a great back-up. Doms a sentional starter