No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest MrSandMan

Ducks; A disgrace to NHL? Trend for good ol' hockey going to the

Rate this topic

Guest MrSandMan

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r4RMCvVxIi0 :thumbdown:

:thumbdown:

"Murray said Bowman told him that the Senators had to be ready for the Ducks being allowed to get away with illegal tactics."

"Hood, who was on the ice for 157 Stanley Cup games in his 21-year Hall of Fame career as a National Hockey League official, couldn't believe what he was watching from his rural home northwest of Toronto. To him, it wasn't just the Anaheim defencemen holding up and interfering with Ottawa attackers at will, and without many calls, it was a return to the old intimidation tactics of the Bobby Clarke Flyers.

He saw Dave (the Hammer) Schultz back on the ice, staying in the Ottawa crease even after whistles had blown, continuing to hack away at the goaltender and daring any Ottawa player to try to stop him. He saw Ed Van Impe back on the ice delivering those short and painful in-close cross-checks to any Senator who happened to reach the Anaheim net. He saw Clarke jabbing with his stick in the corners and strategically slashing the hands of any Ottawa player trying to work the puck along the boards.

But it wasn't Clarke, Van Impe or Schultz. It was players not even born when the Broad Street Bullies briefly ruled, and some say briefly ruined, the NHL."

"NHL should be embarrassed by Datsyuk penalty in game 5" Refs handed Ducks the remainder of the series in a box with a cute little bow tie. :thumbdown:

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...ory/GlobeSports

I for one, don't support this kind of Hockey. What happen to honorable wins in NHL? Ducks are proving to be one of the most classless teams in NHL, not dignified winners!

I miss good hockey! :!:

Edited by MrSandMan

Now, had the Ducks not eliminated your Wings, and instead eliminated another NHL team to get to the SCF, you wouldn't be whining like this. All I hear is a bitter, illogical fan :rolleyes:

You didn't watch game 4? The Pronger and Niedermayer. Not just those two, the entire team was gooning it up.

IMHO, that's bad for NHL, an already fragile sport in the national league.

Players in NFL can in take steriodes, and not hurt the sport.

Players in Baseball can use bats filled with cork, and not hurt the sport.

Players in NBA can dress like a girl and have a bad attitudes, and not hurt the sport.

Goony dirty teams in NHL WILL HURT THIS SPORT!

Hockey is the sport I live for. I want it to be around forever. Yuppie teams like the Ducks are destroying it's future.

LONG LIVE HOCKEY!

Somebody is being a drama queen.

The igonre button is going to be a nice feature on you.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Oh geez, just because the Red Wings lost to the Ducks, now we have to resort to this. Anaheim is a terrific hockey team and if they win the Stanley Cup, they deserve it by all means. Don't blame the loss to the Ducks on the refs, dirty play, or Giguere's pads. Blame it on the Red Wings inability to make the most of their opportunities when they had the chance to win. Anaheim capitalized when they had to, Detroit didn't. Was the Datsyuk call in Game 5 terrible? Yes it was, but even so the Red Wings still had a chance to win in OT and didn't. I dislike Chris Pronger just as much as everyone else, but discrediting what the Ducks have done as a team is completely not necessary. The Red Wings had their chances to win, and they failed. Don't look elsewhere to place the blame.

This thread was made to each of their own decision. I provided the tools. Don't get sassy with me because I have watched the series and saw all the same things a former "all of fame" coach had saw. Mr Murry had saw, and a 21 year veteran official had saw.

If you don't agree with their opinion (or mine), then just say so and move on. It's that simple really.

LINK: http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2...219266-sun.html

Enjoy :thumbup:

Opinions are fine.

When you say the same opinion

OVER

and

OVER

and

OVER

and

OVER

and

OVER

and

OVER

again

in different threads when we already know what is coming out of your thoughts, it gets extremely annoying, just as annoying as me saying OVER AND OVER AND OVER again.

WE GET YOUR POINT, we got in a long, long time ago, so for the love of god, put a sock in it for everybody else's sake.

I respect your opinion, and I even agree with some of your points to an extent. Does Anaheim get away with a lot of obstruction penalties? Yeah they probably do. However, you can't argue this is the reason they are successful. The Red Wings scored 3 or more goals in 3 of their 4 losses to the Ducks, so its not like all of the holding and hooking was the difference. Besides, they already call way too many penalties anyways. I personally do not want to see a whole game of power-plays. The number of them right now is already bad enough. Anaheim takes their fair share of penalties in the first place. I think people are always looking for a scapegoat to find what's wrong with the NHL, and sadly the Ducks have become their new target.

Edited by GoWings1905

*Whole*

What's YOUR point?

Just click the "ignore" button, sweety.

Please control yourself and keep the thead on topic :thumbup: Have respect for the Detroit Wings forum, please. I would gladly enjoy reading your intelligent thoughts if you wish to provide some. Otherwise, please move along.

That you are being annoying and contibuting very little but the SAME SUBSTANCE that we already know 100 times about.

The igonre feature will be used on you, and quite frankly I should've used it a lot sooner to avoid reading your pointless banter.

I hate the Ducks as much as the next guy. but I think that a lot of the Wings fan's on here are letting their hatred of Pronger clowd their judgement. The Ducks have been at time's been overly agressive and overly physical but to say that they are a disgrace to the NHL is a little Harsh IMO.

I think we are more of a disgrace to be honest, our line up is so soft (although we did play a bit out of character these playoffs) that we have to RELY on the refs to call penalties for us and RELY on the league to give suspensions because we can't back it up ourselves... as a fan of physical/tough hockey, I think we are ruining the game more than the Ducks are

Sandman.... Wait.. Mr. Sandman ;) We don't agree on much... However regardless of the circumstances... I do agree with you on this.

I thought the Ducks were dirty in every series, before, including and after ours. I am sorry... Pronger may have spread the disease to the rest of team or what... but the entire team save maybe Jiggy and a handful of others are goons.

Pronger is just the tip of the cake. Pronger is not a dumb ass, he KNOWS EXACTLY what he is doing at all times... I don't buy into the "well pronger didn't mean to raise his elbows" BS, he knew what he was doing and he knows just how far he can cheat and not get caught...

I am also sorry because I just can't get behind a guy like Ryan "I can take 5 x-checks in the back to a player before I get caught" Getsalaugh... He maybe able to score, but if anyone would be able to retaliate on him without getting a penalty... he would find his ass in the hospital.

I actually don't blame the ducks themselves... Ever since Disney pulled out they have become rogue agents. So you see Disney needs to be blamed!

BTW this has nothing to do with the Ducks beating the wings... just an observation of the games and series I have watched.

Regardless, Osgod. Didn't know you didnt agree much with me... another thing we have in common, is I'll always be an Ozzie fan. He is a superb goalie. I have great respect for the man.

Hmmm, maybe it is a case of mistaken identity, TOTALLY MY BAD.... I wondered why I agree with you so much now... :lol:

Sweet, Cheers right back *insert beer clanging smilie*

Sandman.... Wait.. Mr. Sandman ;) We don't agree on much... However regardless of the circumstances... I do agree with you on this.

I thought the Ducks were dirty in every series, before, including and after ours. I am sorry... Pronger may have spread the disease to the rest of team or what... but the entire team save maybe Jiggy and a handful of others are goons.

Pronger is just the tip of the cake. Pronger is not a dumb ass, he KNOWS EXACTLY what he is doing at all times... I don't buy into the "well pronger didn't mean to raise his elbows" BS, he knew what he was doing and he knows just how far he can cheat and not get caught...

I am also sorry because I just can't get behind a guy like Ryan "I can take 5 x-checks in the back to a player before I get caught" Getsalaugh... He maybe able to score, but if anyone would be able to retaliate on him without getting a penalty... he would find his ass in the hospital.

I actually don't blame the ducks themselves... Ever since Disney pulled out they have become rogue agents. So you see Disney needs to be blamed!

BTW this has nothing to do with the Ducks beating the wings... just an observation of the games and series I have watched.

I agree with just about everything, just QFT. Especially the Getzlaf comment. For all the Pronger hoopla, this talented kid is going for the quick cheap fix, and getting away with it. I hate to think of him becoming another Pronger. (I do blame Pronger and Duck PTB for infecting these young guns. Lie down with dogs and you wake up with fleas).

Are the Ducks a disgrace? Now, that's going a wee bit too far for me.

What is a disgrace is the officiating, and I'm not talking about individual calls, missed calls, whatever. The Wings didn't lose because of officiating, per se-- they lost because our PP couldn't seal the deal, and because of a goalie who had our number all the way, and maybe just because the Ducks wanted it more (*washes mouth out w/ soap* ...I hate that phrase, wtf does it mean anyway).

My problem with the officiating, and by extension, the NHL, is that the two teams playing in the finals are both teams who beat skilled teams with "obstruction" that's supposedly not paart of the New NHL. Dude, that's fine if that's what the game is gonna be about, but don't lead skilled teams like the Wings and the Sabres to top the NHL in regular season wins and then pull the comfy, shaggy ref-rug out from under them in the playoffs.

The NHL is sending a clear message here. Wait, where'd it go? We seek it here, we seek it there, that demm'd, elusive NHL. :rolleyes:

Edited by RedRockit

I hated watching the last two SCF. I actually find the Ducks alot more exciting than alot of teams.I do think that if they are going to take so many penalties, a team of equal talent should make them pay for that. Well that team was the Wings and we just couldn't swqing it. Sandman you're still bitter about the Wings losing - try to take the PRonger thing out of the WCF series - and you'll find that was a great, fun hockey series- and we didn't come up on the winning end. I don't hear people bashing the Sharks as much because we beat them....

The vote is already in 523,000 fans watching game 1 and 446,000 fans watching game 2 in the US can't be wrong. Of course it's good for hockey. :crazy:

Guest Shoreline

Have we not learned that it is not the team itself, it's the coaching, and it's the league that is permissive of this type of play?

Remember Calgary a few years back in the playoffs, Nieminen being told by coaches to run into Cujo, because the coaches were upset at how much Holmstrom was getting in the face of Kiprusoff.

Nastiness of the last several seasons is winning in many cases. The league has to correct this, because it flies in the face, for us relatively new hockey fans (I've only been a hockey fan since 1993 -- when my family in Detroit introduced me), of what once was great (and just as importantly, clean) offensive hockey in the 80s and 90s.

Edited by Shoreline

Have we not learned that it is not the team itself, it's the coaching, and it's the league that is permissive of this type of play?

Remember Calgary a few years back in the playoffs, Nieminen being told by coaches to run into Cujo, because the coaches were upset at how much Holmstrom was getting in the face of Kiprusoff.

Nastiness of the last several seasons is winning in many cases. The league has to correct this, because it flies in the face, for us relatively new hockey fans (I've only been a hockey fan since 1993 -- when my family in Detroit introduced me), of what once was great (and just as importantly, clean) offensive hockey in the 80s and 90s.

Ehmm... errr... you've been watching hockey since '93?

And you think hockey was CLEANER BITD?! mmmkay. Scott Stevens' hits were admittedly far cleaner than, say, Pronger's, but he was no less a brutal headhunter. Probie was there for only one thing: bad arse bodyguard to Stevie. Hell, even Vladddie said himself that he felt his role was primarily to stop the other guy from thinking about scoring-- a pest.

Please don't revise our proud hockey history. I don't know what you've been told/have seen about the past, but don't go all grandaddy'-ish "in MY day, it was so much better" on us. It wasn't cleaner, it wasn't more honest.

We just knew what to expect a little bit better than with our "New NHL Rules."

(and we used to have to walk 20 miles in a blizzard just to get tickets....! and then stand outside the Joe for a week before they opened the doors...! sometimes our toes froze to the pavement, but we were TOUGH back then, by cracky!) :P

(and we used to have to walk 20 miles in a blizzard just to get tickets....! and then stand outside the Joe for a week before they opened the doors...! sometimes our toes froze to the pavement, but we were TOUGH back then, by cracky!) :P

:lol: I only had to pay $10 to see a game, when I was a boy ;)

Now its 10 - 20 times that.

Edited by OsGOD

Besides Pronger and Geztlaff (really his entire line at times) are the players that seem to be into cheapshotting. The series overall has been very entertaining. The Ducks are playing physical which has been fun to watch besides the cheap stuff. Neil was a pain in the ass last night for Ottawa and got the Ducks off their game a little... you gotta' love that too. For me it all comes back to not being afraid to send someone out to let Pronger and Getzlaff know they won't be running around hitting our guys. There is still a place for that and there always should be or people like them will get away with this crap all the time.

My quick 2 cents:

Pronger is a definite disgrace to the game of Hockey (Just see my new avatar)

I don't know if I can follow this thread all the way to calling the Ducks a disgrace. I think the Referees are the real problem. The current state of the league allows teams to reach the point the Ducks are at now.

Just my opinion.

Honestly guys. The only real problem on Anaheim is Pronger. The rest of them get their dirty play directly from him.

The thing that annoys me about Anaheim is the amount of luck they've gotten so far during these playoffs. I don't care what you say to me, Giguere sucks. He's big enough to take up most of the net. It's not this "sound positioning" bulls*** I keep hearing either. He takes up the net with his large size (fat ass) and large equipment. I know the argument is overused, but it's still true, nonetheless.

They've gotten wayyyyyy to lucky so far. The Wings were the better team. Again, overused argument, but still true. It's the simple fact. While the Ducks have decent players, luck has been on their side more than often. And when you have a ******* bastard like Chris Pronger on that team, who by the way shouldn't even be in the league, it's hard to believe they are blessed with all this luck. That is the main reason I can't stand Anaheim, along with Pronger.

Edited by Kp-Wings