• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BringHomeTheCup!

New DMan?

Rate this topic

No thanks. I'd rather just use the money on a forward.

Lidstrom - Lilja

Schneider - Kronwall

Chelios - Lebda

Quincey

The defense was amazing last year, and I doubt it'd be terrible without Markov. Though I'm one of the people that prefers Markov to Schneider, it doesn't look like Markov will be back.

Agreed, the only reason Schneider > Markov is goal scoring ability. And that's the ONLY reason. Even if Chelios doesn't come back, Detroit is stocked with quality defensive prospects waiting for a chance.

And yes, we need a goal scoring forward more than a dman.

I don't remember exactly what the problems were. The only one that comes to mind is quite ridiculous, but here goes. If my memory serves me Markov was doing an interview before a playoff game, while smoking a cigarette. As I recall, this wasn't the first time this had happened, and it did sit well with Babs.

But from what I can gather, simply based on payroll, the Wings don't have the cap room to spend on Markov and Matty. While Kenny has already stated that getting Matty to sign is his #1 off season priority.

The times they are a changing Guy Lafleur used to smokein the dressing room during after game interviews

Agreed, the only reason Schneider > Markov is goal scoring ability. And that's the ONLY reason. Even if Chelios doesn't come back, Detroit is stocked with quality defensive prospects waiting for a chance.

And yes, we need a goal scoring forward more than a dman.

I wish more people thought about this stuff... someday, somewhere, somehow, if you draft these guys, you need to play them. It's time to start grooming some players while we have great teachers like Lids, Cheli and Schneids around.

Another thread pertaining to an article in the NY Post speculating the cap could be up to $52 million for next season...Seems a bit high, but since I'm not on the Board of Govenors - what do I know?

Valid point, but in all the reading I've done on TSN, Spectors, and other credible sites, $49 seems to be the highest. I just can't see the cap getting raised to $52, that's a pretty big jump.

Nope - I agree; just can't see the owners allowing/wanting it to hit the $52 million mark...$47 to $49 seems about what many "think" it'll hit.

That said I'm not 100% on what amounts of $$$ the Red Wings are committed to for next season (gotta add Dom's & Cheli's bonus $$$)...I'm just hoping that a top notch winger can be added other than Bert whom IMHO isn't worth more than $2.5 million at this time.

The Wings will only owe about 163k in bonuses from this season that will hit next season's cap.

The Wings will only owe about 163k in bonuses from this season that will hit next season's cap.

They owe MUCH more than that. We would be on the hook for an additional 100k if we had won the Cup, but we owe Dom in the neighborhood of 300K, I'm not sure about Cheli.

Here is a great site for salsry numbers, WALZY

The Wings have about $32 tied up already, and are in need of 6 skaters and a goalie. They can't afford to back any big splashes in the UFA market this offseason, and still hope to retain NIck and Hank when their time comes. One of the most ridiculous ideas I've heard so far is cutting the roster from 12 forwards to 9. The guy claimed 'we only need three lines'. Yeah buddy, that's a spectacular idea.

No on DeVries... no more "veterans" needed at this time. Cheil, Lids and Schneids are fine. Lilja, Lebda and Kronner with the possibility of Quincey or another youngster suits me just fine.

If we are going to sign somebody on D, I think we need to look at someone we feel has long term potential at this point. Lids, Schneids and Cheli can't play forever... well, Lids and Schneids anyway.

:clap::clap::clap:

THANK YOU

Why is everyone seem to think we need to keep signing older veterans??? We need some younger players, I would like to see some more "youth" on the blue line.... From what I have heard Quincy was Pheneufs partner in Jr and plays the same style, not sure of the truth behind that, but its time for some young players to step up...

I live by what David Puddy always says...

"Gotta support the team."

Jerry's impression of him saying that in that episode was almost perfect too. :P

Edited by Kp-Wings

:clap::clap::clap:

THANK YOU

Why is everyone seem to think we need to keep signing older veterans??? We need some younger players, I would like to see some more "youth" on the blue line.... From what I have heard Quincy was Pheneufs partner in Jr and plays the same style, not sure of the truth behind that, but its time for some young players to step up...

That was Derek Meech, not Quincey.

I may be a bit naive, but since the 2007-2008 season will be Nick's last under contract for $7.6 million - maybe he could take another discount & sign another 2 year deal for $4 to $5 million per season :unsure:

This would help alot in signing Hank for the $6 million plus per season in a few years when his current contract expires.

That is naive. Nick at $5 per? What are you smoking? He is at a hometown discount already! To even offer him anything less than $6 would be a slap in his face.

Correct me if I am wrong but do we not have 2 Dman that are just about ready to make the move up in Grand Rapids, Meech and Erikson I say keep the D we have and build up the front end and bring the kids up at let them learn from Cheli and Lids before they both retire

Yup; have Quincey fill in for Markov, & let Lilja/Quincey/Lebda fight for the 5th, & 6th Dman spots.

As of right now, on the roster, the Wings don't even have 2 solid pairings. That will change once Cheli is back in the fold. However, if a serious Cup run is what you are looking for, you can NEVER have too much depth on D. That is why I think the Wings should sign a guy like DeVries. Even if Quincey, Kindl, or whomever else from Grand Rapids is ready to make the jump, you can count on Kronwall missing 15-20 games do to a rare form of chicken pox that only effect Swedish defensmen playing in the NHL for Detroit that wear haffies and are under the age of 30.

A lack of defensive depth really hurt us in this years playoffs. Once Matty went down, we were a totally different team. Could Detroit have won it all without him? Unlikely. Even if Detroit gets past the Ducks, the Sens would have torn apart the depleted D corps with their blazing speed. We need more depth. Just because there are a few guys in the system who are getting better doesn't mean that Detroit has depth.

I'd love to see Andy Sutton in a Wings jersey. I watched him play college hockey when I was younger at the school I go to now. It was great to see him improve and grow as a player.

IN theory I agree; however with a limited cap space we can't have too much $$$ tied up in players spending time in the press box, or "forced" to play in GR on a 2-way contract...Many UFA's may lose interest in wanting to play in Detroit. The injury bug hit us @ a bad time; it's something that's unpredictable, & there's not alot you can do in the new cap era of the NHL :(

IMHO we gotta bring up young guys to take Markov's spot, but def need to re-sign Schneider (hopefully he won't demand too much $$$).

A few lucky bounces our way, & we'd be the ones facing the Sens.

I don't think any UFA is going to be shy about coming to Detroit simply because the Wings are deep in prospects. The injury bug is something that is unpredictable. Had Kenny prepared for it, say by acquiring a Dman at the deadline like he always used to, it wouldn't have hurt so badly.

Now I'm not ridiculing Kenny for not making that move. And I understand that with the cap, just bringing in whomever Kenny wanted isn't going to happen any longer. My point is this, realisticly, past Matty and Nick, the Wings didn't have a top 4 Dman that could be depended on to take on extra minutes in event of an injury. Yeah, Cheli stepped in and played very well. Yeah, Quincey did a fine job. Sure, Lilja played out of his mind.

However, I just can't see Kenny feeling comfortable going into next season with a D corps that is so young. I'm not talking average age here, rather the number of vets vs young inexperienced guys. Kronwall, Lilja, Lebda, Quincey, ect. just aren't experienced enough to be what this team needs to make a legit Cup run.

Nick isn't going to be around forever. Cheli, well, he might. Detroit also needs to get more grit on the blueline. Markov is all but gone. That is a HUGE loss of physcial play for the Wings. No, Kronwall isn't going to be able to fill that roll. He can play a pretty good physcial game, but he isn't any where near as intimidating as Markov is.

Combine all this with the fact that Cheli will likely have the same role next season as he did this past season. That is, extra nights off, mainly a 5th or 6th D man, lot of PK time. We need someone who is a top 4 D man to come in play. No one currently on the roster fills that void left by Markov.

I don't think a D man is needed. You gotta think Kronwall is due for a injury-free season and Kindl is ready for the NHL then either Markov or Schneider will probably be back if not both so we are stocked at D then Lilja showed promise in the playoffs and Lebda and Quincey are reliable defensemen and we know about Chelios and Lidstrom !

This is for those of you don't think Markov is a big deal,

As an added bous there's a sweet move by Datsyuk in there.

I'm not against resigning Markov, but how many of those hits did he have all year? 1... :(