• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

The big three or bust?

Rate this topic

Big targets, but are they for the Wings>?

Sheldon Souray

Jason Blake

Ryan Smyth

It seems to me that the Wings are looking to bring back the people we have and add one of these big three guys in some sort of combination.

Is the offseason considered a bust if they don't get one of these three guys added to the lineup?

Personally I don't know what they are thinking of doing, but I would like to see aggression, so I am just going to throw out my Free Agents I like.

C Scott Gomez C Dainius Zubrus C Bryan Smolinski C Yanic Perreault C Mike Comrie C Jan Bulis

LW Ryan Smyth LW Pascal Dupuis , LW Richard Zednik LW Niko Dimitrakos

RW Jason Blake RW Bill Guerin

D Sheldon Souray D Brad Stuart D Teppo Numminen D Brian Rafalski D Darryl Sydor

Edited by Majsheppard

Big targets, but are they for the Wings>?

Sheldon Souray

Jason Blake

Ryan Smyth

It seems to me that the Wings are looking to bring back the people we have and add one of these big three guys in some sort of combination.

Is the offseason considered a bust if they don't get one of these three guys added to the lineup?

Personally I don't know what they are thinking of doing, but I would like to see aggression, so I am just going to throw out my Free Agents I like.

C Scott Gomez C Dainius Zubrus C Bryan Smolinski C Yanic Perreault C Mike Comrie C Jan Bulis

LW Ryan Smyth LW Pascal Dupuis , LW Richard Zednik LW Niko Dimitrakos

RW Jason Blake RW Bill Guerin

D Sheldon Souray D Brad Stuart D Teppo Numminen D Brian Rafalski D Darryl Sydor

ryan smyth and guerin are the only ones id consider from the ones you put .........i wouldnt mind stuart but he'd cost to much , id rather have sarich

I think Brad Stuart will want out of Boston bad enough that he may be a little cheaper than most think, especially after spending two years on a sub par team that just doesn's seem committed to winning. And then a team like the wings, Sens, or other committed team gives him a little less he may be interested.

RW's- I don't really want either

LW's - I like Dimitrakos (not in the wheel though), I would like Smyth but I think he will command top dollar, and the wings won't have the cheddar to get him.

C's -I would take Zubrius, Comrie or Gomez, unless they can get Drury.

D - Souray is the only one on that list that fills a need the wings have. Unless Kenny misses with Schnieds then they need to go after Rafalski or Sydor.

Ha, I knew I shouldn't have put that list of players up. I wanted the thread to be about will we consider the offseason a bust if we don't land one of those three.

The list was just a general guys I like, not guys who fit or who I expect to be wearing Red. Just ignore that part.

ryan smyth and guerin are the only ones id consider from the ones you put .........i wouldnt mind stuart but he'd cost to much , id rather have sarich

Brad Stuart is in Calgary.

D'Oh forgot about that trade. Just forget everything I typed about him!!!

Edit:

I guess I would say no it isn't a bust any year if the wings do not get one of the top 3. This team is always at the top of the league (well at least for the last 10-15 yrs), if last year was a <30 win season I would say yes it would be a bust of an off season with out one of them.

Edited by Opie

Guest DetroitIan

Nah it wont be a bust if we don't get either of those three. As long as we do something in free agency I'll be happy. Cause I know Kenny will get a scorer. It doesnt have to be those three for me to be happy. I'll be happy with Kozzie. Or getting Drury would be nice. I don't expect us to even go after Jason Blake. If any of the three, maybe Ryan Smyth. But I just dont see us going after him for some reason. He would be great in the winged wheel. I just dont think its gonna happen.

Absolutely not, since I don't think we can realistically get one of those guys if we sign Schneider, who I think it's pretty clear they want back. Honestly, I'd be really surprised if they break the bank to sign one of the marquee free agents out there (like Drury). With Zetterberg coming up in 2 more years, they can't afford to sign a high-priced guy long term, especially if they think Lidstrom will be playing for a few more years yet....

It'll be more like a Kozlov type signing.

-Tim

If you are looking for any marquee UFA's to come to Detroit - don't hold your breath.

Detroit doesn't have the cap room to sign a big name, and still properly fill out the roster. Especially if Matty comes back. Without thinking about re-signing Hank, sure maybe you could squeeze in $5 or $6 for a guy like Smyth or Drury. But personally, I'd rather stick with Hank.

While it definitely wouldn't hurt to get one of the three originally listed in this thread, this offseason isn't going to be much of a bust to begin with IMO, b/c the roster the WIngs have is a pretty solid combination of skill/grit. They could get a little bigger and fiestier still but this past playoffs showed they aren't backing down from any team and aren't going to be intimidated physically, and they can dish out just as much as more "physical" teams. I don't forsee the roster changing much in terms of losing players, so already then, that makes the offseason a success given how the team performed last season and postseason.

If you are looking for any marquee UFA's to come to Detroit - don't hold your breath.

Detroit doesn't have the cap room to sign a big name, and still properly fill out the roster. Especially if Matty comes back. Without thinking about re-signing Hank, sure maybe you could squeeze in $5 or $6 for a guy like Smyth or Drury. But personally, I'd rather stick with Hank.

your right on that but if we dont resign matt which i dont think will happen i think we might be able to get a bill guerin maybe , he would cost us say 4 million and wouldnt require a longterm deal , so we can get rid of him when lidstrom needs the big contract , plus guerin is the kind of player we need , physical and can score

Say no to Guerin. Arrgh I can't stand that guy, and at 37, he really doesn't have much left in the tank.

I'll be happy if we keep Schneids and Bert + get the new call-ups some NHL ice time, and maybe add a second tier signing like Kozlov.

Question though, if Kozlov comes back, will he try to take number 13 back from Datsyuk? He's been in the league longer, and IIRC, the guy with more time in the league traditionally gets the number.

your right on that but if we dont resign matt which i dont think will happen i think we might be able to get a bill guerin maybe , he would cost us say 4 million and wouldnt require a longterm deal , so we can get rid of him when lidstrom needs the big contract , plus guerin is the kind of player we need , physical and can score

Bill Guerin? Did you watch the playoffs? We don't need a guy that disappears in the playpffs

Guest jaytan

In my opinion, the offseason won't be a bust if we manage to re-sign all of the current players on the roster that we want, even if we don't pick up a big-time UFA.... But we all know it could help to.

Question though, if Kozlov comes back, will he try to take number 13 back from Datsyuk? He's been in the league longer, and IIRC, the guy with more time in the league traditionally gets the number.

Hopefully, they won't have to make that decision.... But if for some foolish reason, the Wings sign Kozlov, I doubt he'd be dick enough to try to pry Datsyuk's number back from him.

Whats the friggin point in trying to sign Guerin. The Wings are old enough...Holland HAS GOT to start going after the younger free agents.

But - Darryl Sydor would be nice in a Wings uni... Ive always been a fan.

Jason Blake wont repeat a 40 goal season, especially not in the bigger, tougher Western Conf.

Smyth - out of our price range.

I don't know about the money situation, a big name is realistic. It doesn't mean we can't give Zetter Money down the road nor would it keep us from filling out the roster. It just needs to be a good signing more then anything. The cap could explode over the next two years.

I am more worried about what it would do if someone we could use more becomes available.

I would rather be agressive then bringing back everyone and hoping Bertuzzi plays better this time around.

I would be fine with giving the youngsters more playing time, but I don't want to sit by and watch everyone else make waves.

I think Schneids is coming back, so no souray or any other Dman. One of the youngsters is going to fill in for markov possibly. Though I think Smyth will get an offer, and Blake I think will be the one we sign.

Ha, I knew I shouldn't have put that list of players up. I wanted the thread to be about will we consider the offseason a bust if we don't land one of those three.

The list was just a general guys I like, not guys who fit or who I expect to be wearing Red. Just ignore that part.

the fact is you never know how your offseason goes look at the past colarodo picking up kariya and selanne or the wings past offseason losing shannahan and yzerman and pretty much getting nothing

Whats the friggin point in trying to sign Guerin. The Wings are old enough...Holland HAS GOT to start going after the younger free agents.

But - Darryl Sydor would be nice in a Wings uni... Ive always been a fan.

Jason Blake wont repeat a 40 goal season, especially not in the bigger, tougher Western Conf.

Smyth - out of our price range.

To your points, Couldn't agree more

Also true, but also contigent on Schnieders availablity.

Jason Blake is a Holland type guy, and there was intrest at the deadline.

Everyone is in our price range. We have money. It simply is whether we want to be gamble big, or be safe for the future. Considering our core players being older, and the last couple of years. I want to see us go down gambling. I'll be pissed If Schneider comes back only for him and Zetter to never win a Championship while that dick Pronger gets a cup.

the fact is you never know how your offseason goes look at the past colarodo picking up kariya and selanne or the wings past offseason losing shannahan and yzerman and pretty much getting nothing

None of your points can be taken serriously as long as you misspell "Canadian"

This will be the last time I respond to you until you get a decent name.

Edited by Majsheppard

To your points, Couldn't agree more

Also true, but also contigent on Schnieders availablity.

Jason Blake is a Holland type guy, and there was intrest at the deadline.

Everyone is in our price range. We have money. It simply is whether we want to be gamble big, or be safe for the future. Considering our core players being older, and the last couple of years. I want to see us go down gambling. I'll be pissed If Schneider comes back only for him and Zetter to never win a Championship while that dick Pronger gets a cup.

None of your points can be taken serriously as long as you misspell "Canadian"

This will be the last time I respond to you until you get a decent name.

I suggest you take a look at the Wings cap space. Whatever site you use, look at it. The Wings have about $34 already tied up. With the current roster needs, the biggest signing you will see is going to be Matty (if he signs with Detroit) for around $3-$4.

After that signing, Detroit would have about $38 committed. Even if the cap goes up to $52, which I've read that it's more likely to be $49, Kenny still would only have $14 to play with.

Kenny would still need to sign at least one more top 4 dman, 2 top 6 forwards, and a goaltender. If you give anyone of those players more than $3 per, you really place a strangle hold on Detroit's ability to call anyone up in event of injury or make any trades. Remember, Kenny will like to leave himself about $2-$4 in cap space for just such occasions.

Mr. I has the money, it's a shame he can't spend it.

I suggest you take a look at the Wings cap space. Whatever site you use, look at it. The Wings have about $34 already tied up. With the current roster needs, the biggest signing you will see is going to be Matty (if he signs with Detroit) for around $3-$4.

After that signing, Detroit would have about $38 committed. Even if the cap goes up to $52, which I've read that it's more likely to be $49, Kenny still would only have $14 to play with.

Kenny would still need to sign at least one more top 4 dman, 2 top 6 forwards, and a goaltender. If you give anyone of those players more than $3 per, you really place a strangle hold on Detroit's ability to call anyone up in event of injury or make any trades. Remember, Kenny will like to leave himself about $2-$4 in cap space for just such occasions.

Well if he signs one top six forward and played a youngster up there forwards would be taken care of.

Schneider would the top four man. As for Goaltender, Hasek made nothing last year and I don't think he is going to get 3 million this time around.

We have alot of money without it being a 52 million cap. If it is, bonus because 14 million dollars is roughly 7 million more then would be needed to sign anyone we want. We have depth, we need to improve from the top now.

Correct. Except i dont think its a shame he cant spend it. Makes everything a little more even and exciting..doncha think?

We've had 2 years of post lockout hockey and they've been pretty darn exciting if you ask me.

But yeah, the Wings have a number of guys they need to resign, and i think alot of what Detroit does on the Free Agent market this summer depends on how much they sign Hasek for.

Im afraid he might command a bit more cash - he proved last year he can still play and that he wants the cup again.

It will be interesting to see what he signs for.

Correct. Except i dont think its a shame he cant spend it. Makes everything a little more even and exciting..doncha think?

We've had 2 years of post lockout hockey and they've been pretty darn exciting if you ask me.

But yeah, the Wings have a number of guys they need to resign, and i think alot of what Detroit does on the Free Agent market this summer depends on how much they sign Hasek for.

Im afraid he might command a bit more cash - he proved last year he can still play and that he wants the cup again.

It will be interesting to see what he signs for.

I don't think it's a shame. I wish an owner willing to spend could spend as he wishes. I understand the need for a cap, but I would do things differently.

Both Kozlov and Datsyuk have worn 13 their entire careers. Kozlov wore it when he was here. But now Datsyuk wears it and he has established himself as a premier player. Datsyuk can offer up the number if he wants. Kozlov can ask Datsyuk for the number, and Datsyuk can say yes or no. If he says yes, there's a price, Kozlov would buy Datsyuk something or take him out for (an expensive) dinner. But once a player is given a number, it's his... he can choose to give it up if asked, or he can keep it.