• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
d-city

Rafalski a Red Wing: 5-years, $30-million

Rate this topic

Guest Agalloch

My initial response. Too much money - too much time.

All of us who wanted Smyth or Drury can kiss that thought goodbye.

Wtf? Why in the hell would you want Drury? He wouldn't fit here at all. We don't need ANOTHER center.

Guest Crymson

Holland is no fool. If he could have signed Rafalski to a 2-3 year contract, he would have. As things stand, Holland probably knew that he'd have no chance at big-name D-men after today. He also knew that the asking price was high. As is, Rafalski probably was looking for this sort of contract. It was almost certainly a case of 'love it or leave it.'

People who talk about needing Markov for "physicality" are forgetting about how Lilja played near the end of the regular season and in the playoffs. Lilja has shown that he will hit and fight, and his offensive production is the same as Markov's, which is to say very little.

What worries me about that is that it wasnt until the end of the year that he decided to use his size. Hes in his early 30s, so Id be shocked to see him change his game at this stage of his career, but if his physical were to stick around, I sure as hell wouldnt mind.

As for this signing, keep in mind that we dont know what management knows. Its very possible that Lidstrom has already had discussions with Holland and co. about his retirement plans, and he may have already told them that hes strongly considering retiring after this year. Theres a ton of information about the motives for signing that we dont know. Personally, Im glad we have a back up plan for when Lidstrom retires. Much better than standing there with your dick in your hand and not many solid options out there for defenseman as of now.

Yeah the money sucks but what could the Wings do that is the market? Not sign anyone and lose no they signed a pretty good player for the market price. For all those that say its a bad deal you need to do some reading cause you really don't know what's up with today's NHL.

This is a great deal under this market and I actually think it's going to really good for the Wings come playoff time and lets face it that's what we're all gearing up for. I mean who's actually going to challenge the Wings in the Central this year now that Nashville has trade off a bunch of their better players?.

At least someones got their heads on straight. Lidstrom has talked about going back to Sweden tons of times over his career, and yet people think he and Cheli will be playing on for years to come.

I thank you.

Of course we all know Lids could leave at any time, even if he doesn't he cannot play forever. No matter how much we hope him to follow in Chelis mold and play until the Pyramids crumble.

I just think that 6 million does hurt us this year. Especally if we are going to pay 2.5 million to Hasek in hopes to win right now.

WE NEED CLUTCH GOALS!!! I do think Schneids leaving hurts that instead of helping. While without a doubt it is a better long term deal assuming Rafalski fits our team (all signs point to yes) in the short term I have to wonder.

The real question is will he live in Dearborn again? Or will he find another nicer area to live lol.

I thank you.

Of course we all know Lids could leave at any time, even if he doesn't he cannot play forever. No matter how much we hope him to follow in Chelis mold and play until the Pyramids crumble.

I just think that 6 million does hurt us this year. Especally if we are going to pay 2.5 million to Hasek in hopes to win right now.

WE NEED CLUTCH GOALS!!! I do think Schneids leaving hurts that instead of helping. While without a doubt it is a better long term deal assuming Rafalski fits our team (all signs point to yes) in the short term I have to wonder.

The real question is will he live in Dearborn again? Or will he find another nicer area to live lol.

I agree. I was hoping for Smyth, but this signing nixes that unless the Wings *know* Lidstrom will be retiring next year.

Guest Agalloch

Oh yeah, because the wings have no need at all for one of the most clutch goal scorers in the NHL. :rolleyes:

Oh my, he's clutch, so he DEFINITELY deserves 7m/year on a team that has a billion centers! I wish I were as smart as you.

I like the signing, he's relatively young and battle tested. He has a right hand shot which we desperately need for the PP and is as steady as they come. He anchored the Devils defense the past few years without Niedermayer and has some of the best hockey sense in the game.

The price may seem high, but this guy is worth it.

why is everyone complaining about this? he got 500,000K more than Schnedier and he's a much better player.. he knows how to win and is a beast in the playoffs.. top line dmen dont come cheap.. great signing

I'm with you. Plus he's only 33. We just got younger too.

My initial response. Too much money - too much time.

All of us who wanted Smyth or Drury can kiss that thought goodbye.

Seconday response. Im cool with it. He may be smaller then Schneider, but he is the same if not better on the PP and seems like a pretty smart player. IMO - he is an upgrade. Not worth 6 mill, but it seems like overpaying guys is the trend this free agent season.

I will be REALLY happy if we lock up Bertuzzi and sign a guy like Michel Ouellet. Them along with Hasek will round out a pretty solid team.

Edited by Yzerfan1999

I love this deal.

Holland couldn't have found a better replacement for Schneider. The man knows what he's doing.

Also, I don't think it means anything against Bert or Dom. I bet they'll both be back. Bert wants around 2.5-3 mil. It's just the years they are working on. Dom is said to be close. The way I see it they can sign them both and have about 4 mil to play with. Well 3, keeping 1 or so around for the trade deadline.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not all that familiar with Rafalski. However some of the posts in this thread are making me feel pretty good about this signing. It's great to see our defence get a little bit younger for once, as much as I loved having Schiender a part of the team. The price tag may be steep, but I blame the Flyers for setting the bar so high.

Excited to see him play. If we could get Smyth at this point, I would be ecstatic. Still hoping for Bert to resign though.

Smyth, Smyth, Smyth. Forget about Smyth. We have about 6-7 Mil more to spend and we will spend 2-2.5 on Hasek, 2-2.5 on Bert and around 2 on Markov. All Done. Smyth will go for 7+. No thanks

Wtf? Why in the hell would you want Drury? He wouldn't fit here at all. We don't need ANOTHER center.

I didnt... i just mentioned the name thinking thinking he fit in the category of big free agent signings.

Just remember how good Detroits development system is and how easy it is for them to get a guy from GR for minimum like Hudler this year, I dont think its a problem with him making this much.

Guest jaytan

I'm loving this! I was hoping for Rafalski, but thought it was impossible. Thanks to Useless Schneider leaving, he became affordable. Local boy coming home.

Guest Crymson

IMO we don't need Markov back. Lilja can fill his spot, and we have SOOOOO MANNNNYYY good defensemen in the minors who NEED a shot. If we lock up a 6th defenseman for a long while, we'll never get them any experience.

Guest DetroitIan

WOOOOO!!!! I'LL TAKE IT! WELCOME BACK TO MICHIGAN!!! We just made a huge step in filling the void Schneider left. I will admit I was hoping for Souray. But I knew we werent gonna be abl to afford him. But wow, what an AWESOME signing this is. And for 5 years!!!??? IM SO ******* PUMPED. Im like bouncing around my room. IN KENNY WE TRUST!

Smyth, Smyth, Smyth. Forget about Smyth. We have about 6-7 Mil more to spend and we will spend 2-2.5 on Hasek, 2-2.5 on Bert and around 2 on Markov. All Done. Smyth will go for 7+. No thanks

I'm just saying that If there was any possible way we could afford him, I would be all for it. Smyth is one player I've always wanted to see in the Winged wheel. Obviously I don't expect us to get him though.

I think resigning Markov at this point is pretty unlikely, though I would like to see him back. I think Holland will leave the defence as it is and resign Hasek and Bert, and then probably sign another forward.

New Jersey's going to be in pretty tough this season by the looks of it, losing Rafalski and probably Gomez as well.