• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
d-city

Rafalski a Red Wing: 5-years, $30-million

Rate this topic

Guest nutz2u

All that matters is the cap average afaik.

I know that the cap average is the main thing I was just wondering if maybe the first 2 yrs might be a little heavy and then signing Z wouldn't be a problem.

Thats the first thing I thought about. No way we're signing Smyth now. It seams like maybe there is a slight, slight chance of still re-signing Markov. But Smyth will never be in the winged wheel.

I wouldn't say never for as it is etremely unlikely now, it could still happen in the future.

We could actually still sign Smyth if hasek doesn't take over 1.25 million. :P

With Schneider leaving for La-La land the next best options were Souray and Rafalski. Of those two Rafalski has been much more consistent over his career.

The price tag is a little worrisome but like several of you brought up, in a few years it may look like a cheap price. Plus Cheli will definitely be done after this season and Nick probably has 2 seasons left.

Lets see how he meshes into Babcock's system.

I know that the cap average is the main thing I was just wondering if maybe the first 2 yrs might be a little heavy and then signing Z wouldn't be a problem.

It still doesn't matter because the only thing that matters is the cap hit. Ilitch has a ton of cash to burn.

Too many years and too many dollars spent here.

I would have rather seen us get Schnider for one year at 6million.

Oh well i will try and hold my judgment untill i see him play for the wings.

This is exactly my concern. As it stands right now, the softest team in the league last year just got softer. They need a big, physical d-man that can knock someone off the puck. But they also need some big, physical forwards and there isn't enough money to get all of that.

I like Rafalski as a player, I'm just not convinced that he's the type of player they need and I don't like the five year contract.

so who would you have liked to see as our #2 dman?? Cory Sarich..lol.. what about the big physical forwards? who do you got in mind and who would they replace?!?!?! ;)

I really don't see why people think the amount of money is that troublesome. Remember how much Philly signed Kimmonen for? We knew that was going to drive up D-man prices, but when people actually see it happen here they get all upset. I think this is a great signing by Kenny, and like people have been saying, the first thing I thought when I saw the length was that Nick's gone after next year.

Edited by SeeinRed

...yep, nice to replace Schneider, but I still think Meech and Quincey deserved the shot and we should have went big on the wing. BUt, hey, I am not a Gm, maybe Smyth's agent told them no...

...looks like we will sign Bertuzzi and one other forward to fill our roster...

...welcome back Fedorov at the trade deadline! LOL! J/K! Funny nobody has mentioned him in a while!

...maybe Holland isn't done, maybe he has more tricks and cash up his sleeve!

what an awful signing , awful ...........6 million a year for rafalski ????? give me a f'n break , hes not worth that money and the last thing we needed was another small defensemen , nice way to screw us up in a few years when zetterberg will get his raise ...........zetterberg lidstrom datsyuk rafalski = 27 million = bye bye redwings

Your logic is flawed when you include Lidstrom in your Wings "armageddon $ list" because he will probably be around for one season with Zetterberg's higher income. Oh and Datsyuk is locked in for a long time too, so no worries.

I'm not saying that 6 million is what Rafalski is worth, but after losing Schneider, we got another solid defensemen, who is relatively close in stats with schnedier on the offensive side, but possesses a better sense of the defensive zone.

Too many years and too many dollars spent here.

I would have rather seen us get Schnider for one year at 6million.

Oh well i will try and hold my judgment untill i see him play for the wings.

why? Rafalski is a way better player... he will be Schneiders present age when his contracts up.. whats the problem?

I am so sick of hearing about Ryan Smyth.... yeah, we have a much better - similar player in Holmstrom. Why not go out and get a guy that can take one-timers if possible. We need a pure goal scorer if anything. I think we'll go into the season with Bert as our big forward re-signing. And then we can see if Grigorenko is ready to give it a go, because he could be spectacular too - I think we forget that option.

so who would you have liked to see as our #2 dman?? Cory Sarich..lol.. what about the big physical forwards? who do you got in mind and who would they replace?!?!?! ;)

I don't know but I DO know that having 13.6 million dollars per year tied up in two defensemen makes it hard for the wings to address other needs. To be honest, I'd rather have had Schneider for 2 years than Rafalski for 5. Lidstrom and Zetterberg will need to be resigned within the next two years and the Wings have a ton of talented young d-men that will probably be ready in a couple years.

In terms of forwards, it appears that the best option left with the money that's left is Bertuzzi. Hopefully with a full summer to heal and rehab he can be consistently physical again.

Wow, I never expected Rafalski!! With our young talent at the blueline, I thought we were going after a Forward.

I like this deal. I too like it a lot better than re-signing Schneider. Nice move by Kenny, Jimmy D, Scotty, and Iron Mike. :clap:

I would assume signing Smyth (or another big named forward) is out of the picture now. I bet after the Rafalski deal, we'll re-sign Hasek and Betruzzi.

We look real solid for 2007-08 :thumbup:

"It was a difficult decision leaving New Jersey, the only team I've known, but I'm coming home to play for the team I grew up watching," Rafalski said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "To have this opportunity, is a dream."

Rafalski's agent, William Zito, said five teams tried to sign the defenseman - including one offering a six-year, $40 million contract - but he wanted to play for his hometown team.

-nhl.com

why? Rafalski is a way better player... he will be Schneiders present age when his contracts up.. whats the problem?

The problem is 13-14 million tied up in two defensemen. That really cuts into what they can do with the rest of the team.

Rafalski's agent, William Zito, said five teams tried to sign the defenseman - including one offering a six-year, $40 million contract - but he wanted to play for his hometown team.

-nhl.com

now thats awesome :clap:

The problem is 13-14 million tied up in two defensemen. That really cuts into what they can do with the rest of the team.

Yeah, but it's Lidstrom and Rafalski we're talking about. Both can play 30 minutes a night. Most nights one will be on the ice at all times.

How quickly we forget that Anaheim won the Cup with Niedermayer and Pronger.

Edited by Barrie

Guest nutz2u

It still doesn't matter because the only thing that matters is the cap hit. Ilitch has a ton of cash to burn.

You're right. It would only come into play if they wanted to get rid of the contract I guess.

Well you make it sound so bad...That much money tied up in Lidström and Rafalski doesn't sound so bad to be honest...

Well you make it sound so bad...That much money tied up in Lidström and Rafalski doesn't sound so bad to be honest...

Right, we're talking about Lidstrom and Rafalski, not McCabe and Kaberle. It's money well spent.