• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
d-city

Rafalski a Red Wing: 5-years, $30-million

Rate this topic

Hello all!!

I am torn with this signing, I'm also pissed about losing Shneids..

So what's the FINAL CONSENSUS? Is Rafalski a better player than Schneider?

Without question. The one and only advantage Schneider holds over Rafalski is his shot. Brian skates, passes, defends, etc... better. Oh and I guess Mathieu is better at crosschecking, slashing, and stupid interference penalties.

x2, this is a great signing. Lidstrom and Rafalski is going to be sweet. It seems like Rafalski could be more of a leader than Schneider was too.

Not that we really lack those here but sure impact players are much more appreciated...Which is why I want Ryan right now...

Without question. The one and only advantage Schneider holds over Rafalski is his shot. Brian skates, passes, defends, etc... better. Oh and I guess Mathieu is better at crosschecking, slashing, and stupid interference penalties.

Agreed. I haven't gotten to see Rafalski play much as of late, but think he's overall a better defenseman than Mathieu.

So for half a mill more and 5 years younger, this is still a decent deal, which only gets better and better as the contract goes on. (Whereas Schneider at 5.5 for 2 years would only get worse).

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Not that we really lack those here but sure impact players are much more appreciated...Which is why I want Ryan right now...

I don't see a thread for it, but it's just spector's reporting right now that he's gone to Colorado.

norrisnick, we agree. This day shall go down in history sir

"It was a difficult decision leaving New Jersey, the only team I've known, but I'm coming home to play for the team I grew up watching," Rafalski said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "To have this opportunity, is a dream."

Rafalski's agent, William Zito, said five teams tried to sign the defenseman - including one offering a six-year, $40 million contract - but he wanted to play for his hometown team.

-nhl.com

very classy move on his part... this might be what it takes for me to feel better and bridge the gap of 1M i didn't want the wings brass to spend. no doubt rafalski is going to address a need we've had for awhile, perhaps 6M per isn't all that different than 5M per (if it breaks down evenly each year of his contract) when all is said and done. people bring up a real good point, the flyers and the market in general really forced the issue for high stake salaries. :angry:

i feel confident this is a great long term investment.

*edited, accidentally placed 6M isn't different than 6M, instead of 5M

Edited by spydrwebb

I just got home from a vacation and was happy to see this signing. Good move imo because you lose Schneider and in less than 2 hours you have Rafalski signed. He is not as physical as Schneider but Kronwall will be back, and hope he stays healthy, so that helps there. The Wings improved I think. Kinda bugs me about Schneider. He first said he wanted to stay but in the end money I think won out. Not like going to the Ducks is a step up especially if #27 is gone. Money and being back in Cali I think were the big things. He isn't worth $5.6 mil a year at his agem. Ralaski helps short-term and longer term. Been a crazy afternoon in the NHL. Should be an interesting few days I would think too.

Guest DetroitIan

I like him. I don't like this contract. 5 years?And, hello - 6 million? Come. On. Holland?!!

Think about it though. Rafalski could have EASILY garnered 6.5-7 million. Easy. And look at Schneider's contract. He got 5.5 mill. And Brian is a definite upgrade to Schneider. Not to mention he's younger, and he's used to hoisting that Cup. So all and all, I would say Kenny did a great job by giving him a 6 mill per year deal. It could have been much worse.

Interesting about Rafalski, he is a right handed shot and fits in much better in our umbrella shooting PP. With Lidstrom, left handed shot, and Rafalski, points shots become much more natural than with Lidstrom and Schneider, who is also a left handed shot. Now they can shoot from both points rather than only from one and have to rotate if the other person wants to take the shot.

The money and length are more than you'd like to see, but thats the market value. I'd say he said for a little below market value seeing the prices Flyers and Canadiens are throwing at their defensemen.

The real question is if they needed this signing. It may bring in light on what they think of Kronwall's development. They might not think Kronwall is ready to take Lidstrom's spot once Lidstrom retires in a couple of years and Rafalski may serve as the gap until one of our younger defenseman take over. Rafalski isn't as good as Lidstrom but that's not saying much on how good he is. He has shown he can handle the top defenseman job in NJ. He does bring more toughness so he may serve as two in one as the wings were looking for toughness and a top powerplay guy.

Edited by blind

Interesting about Rafalski, he is a right handed shot and fits in much better in our umbrella shooting PP. With Lidstrom, left handed shot, and Rafalski, points shots become much more natural than with Lidstrom and Schneider, who is also a left handed shot. Now they can shoot from both points rather than only from one and have to rotate if the other person wants to take the shot.

The money and length are more than you'd like to see, but thats the market value. I'd say he said for a little below market value seeing the prices Flyers and Canadiens are throwing at their defensemen.

The real question is if they needed this signing. It may bring in light on what they think of Kronwall's development. They might not think Kronwall is ready to take Lidstrom's spot once Lidstrom retires in a couple of years and Rafalski may serve as the gap until one of our younger defenseman take over. Rafalski isn't as good as Lidstrom but that's not saying much on how good he is. He has shown he can handle the top defenseman job in NJ. He does bring more toughness so he may serve as two in one as the wings were looking for toughness and a top powerplay guy.

All excellent points.I think this is a great aquisition,and he accepted less to play for the Wings. :thumbup:

The Schneider love affair is finally over.I will not miss his cheap shots and his point shot usually misses :thumbdown: .

Well you make it sound so bad...That much money tied up in Lidström and Rafalski doesn't sound so bad to be honest...

Ask Tampa Bay about that. Their big contracts eat up so much of their cap that they can't do anything else. Don't get me wrong, I like Rafalski. I just worry about being able to sign anyone else and being able to resign Lidstrom and Zetterberg in a couple years.

To put it another way, in two years four players will be taking up 25-30 million per year. That would be 50% of the cap this year. I assume it will go up in the next couple years but with tv ratings the way they were this year................

Edited by therock48880

we don't know what will happen in the next couple years, we are gearing up to win this year, and we have a few pieces left to place, but the years coming up will see more people come in and out whether that be via free agency, trade, or through the farm. Kenny is as good as it gets in this business and he will not sacrifice the future to win this year, yet he will not sit idly by watching the league pass him by

Edited by rwfan007

and we have a few pieces left to place

And there's hardly any money left to get those pieces. Hopefully Bertuzzi will take a small base contract heavy with incentives and come back completely healthy next year. But with how tentative he was at times in the playoffs, that's a big IF.

Ask Tampa Bay about that. Their big contracts eat up so much of their cap that they can't do anything else. Don't get me wrong, I like Rafalski. I just worry about being able to sign anyone else and being able to resign Lidstrom and Zetterberg in a couple years.

To put it another way, in two years four players will be taking up 25-30 million per year. That would be 50% of the cap this year. I assume it will go up in the next couple years but with tv ratings the way they were this year................

There's a big difference between a group of only forwards making big money and paying a group of forwards and defensemen big money.

That is Tampa's biggest problem. All their money is tied into offensive forwards whereas we'll have money tied up in a pair of very good two-way defensemen and a pair of very good two-way forwards.

I really like this for a few reasons - many of which have been stated already, but I'll restate them for emphasis:

Rafalski is just entering the prime of his career - and he's better than Schneider right now. Plus, he's been playing in NJ his whole career - think of how he'll thrive here. Things can only get better.

He's a bit better defensively than Schneider was - he's been a plus player almost his whole career and doesn't seem to take as many dumb penalties (I think he had all of 34 pms last season).

Nick isn't going to play forever. Having Rafalski around gives us a bit of a cushion should Nick decide to retire in a year or two. He's young, so he'll be around for a while. Locking him up with a five year deal is awesome considering we've seen the cap go up every year since it's inception. Sure, it's going to hit a ceiling at some point, but a top two defenceman (who could grow into a top defenseman) is pretty cheap at 6 mil per.

The guy is a great passer - he had 40+ assists on a NJ team that does not have the forward corps that we do.

And finally, he's a hometown guy who took less to come here than he could have had elsewhere - could we ask for more?

Guest Agalloch

Rafalski is not 'just entering the prime of his career'. I like the signing, but don't spew out random crap that isn't true.

Rafalski at his age for the next 6 years at $6 million is greater than Schneider for 2 more years at $5.5 million in my opinion.....

I was shocked and ecstatic at this signing....He was the best defenseman on the UFA market, and he's on the Wings now....:D

I said it a few days ago; if Holland can't get Schneider for 4-5m or less, Rafalski should be the priority. He doesn't have Mathieu's shot, but he's better at everything else.

Plus, Rafalski is good enough defensively that we won't miss Markov. Rafalski and Quincey/Kindl combined will make only a few hundred thousand more than Schneider and Markov made combined last season. If one of two things happens; 1) Kronwall stays healthy or 2) Lilja plays like he did in the playoffs all season long, or is replaced cheaply by Kindl or Quincey and they do.

One rather scary thought...if Niedermayer ends up returning, Anaheim could realistically play a 5-man defensive unit that would be better than most 6-man units. They would be paying for it handsomely, but they could do it.

Rafalski is infinitely better than Schneider. He's actually good at defense, and is a better passer. Doesn't have much of a shot, though.

Brian has got a sweet low wrister from the blue line, perfect for homer to deflect on the PP.