Rafalski a Red Wing: 5-years, $30-million

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#1 d-city

d-city

Jr. Prospect

• 15 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:56 PM

YESSSSSS Brian Rafalski agrees to a five year, $30 million contract with the Detroit Red Wings

#2 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:57 PM

WOOT WOOT!!!!

#3 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:58 PM

so he will be here till hes 38? don't know if i like that.. great player though

Edited by redwingfan19, 01 July 2007 - 02:58 PM.

You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#4 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

I dont know if I think this is the best move, but after Schneider leaving I needed this.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#5 DRAPES RULES

DRAPES RULES

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

No s*** !? biggrin.gif

This is "Katie Bar The Door Type of Hockey" -Mickey Redman

"It's only Rock and Roll, But I like it "- Mick Jagger

"DAVE IS A KILLER! "- The Hanson Brotherswinggirl.jpg

#6 kindlwillbegreat

kindlwillbegreat

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:09 PM

what an awful signing , awful ...........6 million a year for rafalski ????? give me a f'n break , hes not worth that money and the last thing we needed was another small defensemen , nice way to screw us up in a few years when zetterberg will get his raise ...........zetterberg lidstrom datsyuk rafalski = 27 million = bye bye redwings

#7 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:10 PM

He is most definately a good Defensemen. I just hope he comes in to own for his hometown. We need him to play GREAT for 6 damn million a year, because now we are not going to get much else.

I hope they manage Blake now.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#8 BerkeleyWingsFan19

BerkeleyWingsFan19

Jr. Prospect

• 19 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:11 PM

good pickup, although I think for a bit too much money and over 6 years too...

we have, what, $10 million in cap room left? Sign Hasek for $2.5 mil and make a bid for Smyth at $5.5 mil. Let Quincy or Kindl come up and be the 6th/7th defenseman. I'd say at this point let's go for quality over quanitity and let some young kids in the system make an impact.

f*** Schneider though, although I suppose he probably likes southern California.

#9 moocat

moocat

Babcock's hair really is magnificent..

• PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:12 PM

Not a fan of the length of the contract but a good signing.
IPB Image

Got Moo?

#10 Stevie Y

Stevie Y

Rookie

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE(kindlwillbegreat @ July 1, 2007 - 03:09PM) View Post

what an awful signing , awful ...........6 million a year for rafalski ????? give me a f'n break , hes not worth that money and the last thing we needed was another small defensemen , nice way to screw us up in a few years when zetterberg will get his raise ...........zetterberg lidstrom datsyuk rafalski = 27 million = bye bye redwings

I also think that 6 mil is a lot. but don't forget in 2 years when we have to re-sign Zetterberg Lidstrom might no be playing anymore...or at least for less money.

#11 kindlwillbegreat

kindlwillbegreat

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:13 PM

we are done man , lidstrom zetterberg datsyuk raflaski will total 27 million cap space in 3 yrs , thats 23 million left for the whole team and thats if the cap doesnt decrease ..........stupid, stupid mistake by the redwings

and dont forget filppula franzen cleary lebda will all get raises ......... then what happens if howard sucks ?? we'll have to get a goalie at least at 4 mill per , thats 31 million for 5 guys not too mention the pay increases of other players

Edited by kindlwillbegreat, 01 July 2007 - 03:14 PM.

#12 Offsides

Offsides

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

Oh this is HORRIBLE. I'm so mad.

Posted Image

#13 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:15 PM

i dunno it might work out if lids retires by the time hank get his rasie otherwise we could be screwed.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#14 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

I have mixed feelings about this. Rafalski is an upgrade from Schneider, IMO. Hes got great offensive skills, but great defensive skills too. He thinks the game like Lidstrom does, hes younger than Schneider, and hes less injury prone as well. Hes put up big points in NJ on a defensive minded team and will definitely benefit from playing with Schneider on the PP. All those are a plus.

The length? Its easy to see why Detroit signed him to a 5 year contract. Lidstrom is no Chelios, and its very possible that he retires after this season, especially if we win the cup. Having Rafalski here for 5 years gives Detroit a lot of insurance.

And BEFORE everyone freaks out about the 6M per price tag, keep in mind two things: Defenseman in the new cap era are continually overpaid, and should the cap number continue to rise, the price of Defenseman will too. 6M may look more like 5M next year.

On top of all this, Rafalski is a champion. A guy that loves to win. Thats always a great thing to have on your team. However, this signing makes me a little concerned about the physicality on the blueline. Hopefully that will be addressed.
It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.

#15 kindlwillbegreat

kindlwillbegreat

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 411 posts

QUOTE(Stevie Y @ July 1, 2007 - 04:13PM) View Post

I also think that 6 mil is a lot. but don't forget in 2 years when we have to re-sign Zetterberg Lidstrom might no be playing anymore...or at least for less money.

we cant count on that , if in 2 yrs hes still playing and surprisingly winning norris's then we cant ask him to take a huge paycut

#16 e_mcgrath88

e_mcgrath88

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

why is everyone complaining about this? he got 500,000K more than Schnedier and he's a much better player.. he knows how to win and is a beast in the playoffs.. top line dmen dont come cheap.. great signing

#17 Stan Leycup X

Stan Leycup X

Net Crasher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:16 PM

With as many players as Detroit has "of age," they constantly have to focus on keeping those guys and signing them for one or two years every time a contract is up. It;s good to get a guy they don't have to worry about for awhile.
STAN LEYCUP - XI

#18 Kass

Kass

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

Sooo
uhhh
How much DID Schneider want?

#19 wingsnut25

wingsnut25

Rookie

• Pip
  • 120 posts

is rafalski worth more to the wings then Schneider? I dont think they got a steal on Rafalski, they could have offered the same contract or even a little less to retain Schneider?

Edited by wingsnut25, 01 July 2007 - 03:22 PM.

#20 Arelius19

Arelius19

Draftee

• 7 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:17 PM

After we lost schneids we needed a top 4 D-man and thats what Rafalski is.
Rafalski is more mobile and better in his own end, offensively Schneids was better…

I say Hasek for 2 - 2.5
Markov for 3
And since we wont have the money for Smyth, I say we go for a forward thats not in this top group… more of a 2nd tier/2nd wave of movement guy