• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
d-city

Rafalski a Red Wing: 5-years, $30-million

Rate this topic

Rafalski is not 'just entering the prime of his career'. I like the signing, but don't spew out random crap that isn't true.

Most defenseman seem to peak in their early to mid thirties (see Lidstrom, Orr, Borque, Neidermayer to name just a few) which is right where Rafalski is at - how is he not in the prime of his career? He produced a career high in both points and assists last season. If you're going to challenge my assertions, at least back up your argument.

Well, now that Blake and Smyth are gone... who else we tryign to pick up after we spent the money on Rafalski... which I believe was a good pick up and a needed pick up... and Im extremely excited to see him in the Red and White... but who else do we want... I know I want Bert back but I dont know who else with our remaining cap left... any input... or possibilites...?

Wow. I go on vacation (still on it, actually) and this happens? Crazy stuff. Jersey's in major trouble next season after losing both Rafalski and Gomez now. And I get the feeling that not many outsiders want to come into the Devils organization and play under Lou.

But hey, at least they're getting a shiny new arena! :lol:

Well, now that Blake and Smyth are gone... who else we tryign to pick up after we spent the money on Rafalski... which I believe was a good pick up and a needed pick up... and Im extremely excited to see him in the Red and White... but who else do we want... I know I want Bert back but I dont know who else with our remaining cap left... any input... or possibilites...?

If Bert and Dom re-sign, there won't be much room left for anyone with a big name. Maybe a depth forward, but nothing more.

Most defenseman seem to peak in their early to mid thirties (see Lidstrom, Orr, Borque, Neidermayer to name just a few) which is right where Rafalski is at - how is he not in the prime of his career? He produced a career high in both points and assists last season. If you're going to challenge my assertions, at least back up your argument.

Orr had his best season at 22 in 1970-71. Orr retired at age 31, his knees shot. Bourque's best year was probably 86-87, when he was 26. Niedermayer's peak has been from 31 to 34, and Lidstrom's peak was from age 28 to 32. Rafalski does seem to be a bit of a late bloomer, and has been having the best couple seasons of his career the past couple years, but part of that is taking on the ice time and responsibility as #1 defenseman in New Jersey. Rafalski will probably decline over the life of his contract, however, he will likely be better at age 38 than Schneider is.

I like this signing...he is a top 2 defender, and even though he's costing us, it makes me feel better about not having Schneider...

He isnt "Just" entering the prime of his career, but he is in it and will be there for a few more years. Holland made a very smart move here. If Lidstrom only plays 1-3 more years, we have a solid guy to fill his void (not that anyone truly could)

I love this signing :clap:

Orr had his best season at 22 in 1970-71. Orr retired at age 31, his knees shot. Bourque's best year was probably 86-87, when he was 26. Niedermayer's peak has been from 31 to 34, and Lidstrom's peak was from age 28 to 32. Rafalski does seem to be a bit of a late bloomer, and has been having the best couple seasons of his career the past couple years, but part of that is taking on the ice time and responsibility as #1 defenseman in New Jersey. Rafalski will probably decline over the life of his contract, however, he will likely be better at age 38 than Schneider is.

OK, you can make an argument about Orr in 70-71 and Borque in 86-87 (though I would argue that Borque rounded into a more complete player later on), but Lidstrom is a tougher argument. He had his highest point output last season and matched his career high +/- this year. Rafalski didn't play in the NHL until '99 so, as you said, is a late bloomer. I think he's peaking.

Oh, and Neidermayer is only 33 - which is exactly how old Rafalski is.

Hello all!!

I am torn with this signing, I'm also pissed about losing Shneids..

So what's the FINAL CONSENSUS? Is Rafalski a better player than Schneider?

Yes and the gap in overall skill will only grow since Schneider is 5 years older.

It must be obvious that Schneider wanted to go, so Kenny had to get a offensive Blueliner in.

No one in the minors is ready just yet to fill the void. Picking up Rafalski is a great move by him.

I can't understand all the bitching going on on here about it. Top D are going to cost top $.

The Ducks have payed Schneider $11.25m for a 2 year deal. He'll be nearly 40 when that expires.

I think in the long term we have made a good signing in Rafalski. Forget the money, if he performs

in the uniform as expected then I'll be happy, he's a proven winner and he's a Michigan boy to boot.

Just a few pluses over Schneider;

1, Rafalski is actually a bigger body than Schneider

2, Rafalski comes to the team at a career +100 rating, Schneider was a -16 when he signed.

3, Rafalski is coming from a defence minded team with ave of .57 ppg Schneider had .55 ppg.

Schneider has put his numbers up to .7 ppg whilst in a Wings uniform giving him a .58 overall

career average. I believe that Rafalski will flurish playing in Detroit and will put up better numbers

than Schneider has. His role in the team will depend on wether we re-sign Markov. If we do then

I can see Lids having Kronvall as his partner, as the do playing for Sweden. Rafalski playing with

Markov and then we have Cheli Lebda and Lilja as 5,6 and 7.

Very happy about the signing. I feel Kenny made the right choice. For all of you who are bitching, I think the General Manager for the Red Wings knows what he's doing more then you guys.

Think about it though. Rafalski could have EASILY garnered 6.5-7 million. Easy.

NO, NO, NO. A finesse D-man not named Lidstrom (who struggles to handle big forwards in front of the net, along the boards or anywhere) would never get 7 million from any sane NHL GM.

NO, NO, NO. A finesse D-man not named Lidstrom (who struggles to handle big forwards in front of the net, along the boards or anywhere) would never get 7 million from any sane NHL GM.

Well apparently someone offered Rafalski a 5 year, 40m deal.

Very happy about the signing. I feel Kenny made the right choice. For all of you who are bitching, I think the General Manager for the Red Wings knows what he's doing more then you guys.

Had our Power play been just a tad bit more effective in the playoffs, we'd be talking about the WIngs as Stanley CUp champions and all that without a blueline full of Pronger type thugs.

i really don't understand why some of us are upset with this. We get a younger version of Schneider who can actually play D better (minus the shot) and some are upset with this? Who else would we have got to replace matty? He wasn't comming back and holland knew it.

A few things on Rafalski people are forgetting:

- Schneider had only 11 goals last year. Rafalski had 8. Not as big a gap as you'd think with Schneider's shot. Granted, Rafalski played 82 games and Schneider played 68.

- Schneider had only two powerplay goals last year. Rafalski had three.

- Rafalski had 55 points in a defense oriented system.

- Schneider had 66 PIM's. Rafalski had 34.

- Rafalski averaged 26 minutes a game last year. Schneider averaged 23.

Rafalski is an upgrade and he's going to flourish in Detroit.

Oh, and another thing: Schneider was playing with Nick Lidstrom. Rafalski wasn't.

Edited by ARice89

A few things on Rafalski people are forgetting:

- Schneider had only 11 goals last year. Rafalski had 8. Not as big a gap as you'd think with Schneider's shot. Granted, Rafalski played 82 games and Schneider played 68.

- Schneider had only two powerplay goals last year. Rafalski had three.

- Rafalski had 55 points in a defense oriented system.

- Schneider had 66 PIM's. Rafalski had 34.

- Rafalski averaged 26 minutes a game last year. Schneider averaged 23.

Rafalski is an upgrade and he's going to flourish in Detroit.

yatzee!

in fact if i remember correctly pierre maguire (not that dropping his name adds to my point) said after we aquired him that this makes us instant cup contenders.