• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Filppula41

Wings sign (G) Adam Berkhoel, (D) Brad Ference

Rate this topic

i'm not going to lie... i don't have a clue who these two guys are... somebody care to elaborate?

Berkhoel is a minor league goaltender roughly analogous to what Joey MacD was for us. Brad Ference is a borderline defenseman that hasn't had a consistent NHL job since 03-04, with Phoenix. He does have exactly 250 NHL games under his belt. He's a mean low-skill stay-at-home defenseman.

Seems pretty unlikely that we've picked up Berkhoel. I can't see a solid reason for it, given the presence of Howard et al in the system. Ference is slightly more likely as a banging #7 guy, but that would imply that the #6 spot is now Lilja's permanently, because we'd most likely be done acquiring defensemen. This would leave a significant gap between our #2 guy in Rafalski and everyone else on the roster. We'd have two really solid defenseman followed by a gaggle of low-end guys rounded out with a 45 year old and an underachieving Swede that can't stay healthy.

Needless to say, I'm hoping this is false.

ANDREW Ference played in 250 games. We got his brother, Brad.

No, you're wrong.

Andrew Ference has played 413 NHL games. Brad Ference has played 250 NHL games. I'm not lying. Look on his TSN profile.

I know everybody wants to make Holland look like s*** and try to make these guys look horrible, but he might have hit a gem here in Brad Ference. He's a gritty defenseman who hits a lot, and fights. He's a very capable replacement for Markov, and he's much cheaper too.

Hey i'll take Brad Ference! From what i can recall in his early days, he was a pretty bad fighter, but i'd rather see a guy like this in GR than some nobody who brings nothing to the table.

Berkhoel is a minor league goaltender roughly analogous to what Joey MacD was for us. Brad Ference is a borderline defenseman that hasn't had a consistent NHL job since 03-04, with Phoenix. He does have exactly 250 NHL games under his belt. He's a mean low-skill stay-at-home defenseman.

Seems pretty unlikely that we've picked up Berkhoel. I can't see a solid reason for it, given the presence of Howard et al in the system. Ference is slightly more likely as a banging #7 guy, but that would imply that the #6 spot is now Lilja's permanently, because we'd most likely be done acquiring defensemen. This would leave a significant gap between our #2 guy in Rafalski and everyone else on the roster. We'd have two really solid defenseman followed by a gaggle of low-end guys rounded out with a 45 year old and an underachieving Swede that can't stay healthy.

Needless to say, I'm hoping this is false.

thanks for taking the time to expand on this.

I really dont see Brad making the team Kp...but he can be a call up at some point at least.

I'd like him to get a chance at least. He is big, gritty, and fights. You know that's enough for me to want him up here! :P

Besides that, if he shows he can play decent enough, why not give him a shot? If he works on his all around game, then he'd be a great replacement for Markov.

I'd like him to get a chance at least. He is big, gritty, and fights. You know that's enough for me to want him up here! :P

Besides that, if he shows he can play decent enough, why not give him a shot? If he works on his all around game, then he'd be a great replacement for Markov.

Brad Norton was big, gritty and fought, doesn't mean he was a good hockey player. Brad Ference ever playing on a regular basis for the Wings or any team for that matter is a pipe dream.

With Stefan Liv probably heading back to Sweden next year, and also i heard a rumour that logan koopmans might retire, then berkhoel will probably be the backup in GR/ECHL starter. who knows. at the end of the day, he's young, and provides depth. Ference could make this club as the 7th dman, but that then makes Derek Meech expendable, so he'll be traded if ference makes it outta camp. i can't see the wings letting Meech go on waivers. But hey, it definately gives us some physical punch from the blueline if he is the 7th dman. Good Job Kenny!!

Brad Ference is a minor-leaguer. His brother Andrew is the NHL defenseman.

Brad and Andrew Ference are not related. Andrew is a decent NHL defenseman. Brad is also a defenseman but, like you said, more a minor leaguer and likes to drop the gloves. If he's called up to plug a hole, he'll be alot better fighter than Norton was.

I think the Wings will sign one more defenseman though, maybe not a bigger name but somebody who's a current NHLer who will be on the big club. That combined with Quincey and Kindl, i cant see him really even getting a chance. But like i said...cant hurt to at least have somebody like that in the system.

Brad and Andrew Ference are not related. Andrew is a decent NHL defenseman. Brad is also a defenseman but, like you said, more a minor leaguer and likes to drop the gloves. If he's called up to plug a hole, he'll be alot better fighter than Norton was.

Unless Ference has improved a TON, he wont be a better fighter than Norton. Last i recall about Ference though was being quite the punching bag on the Panthers, which was quite a long time ago. Now, while he may not be a better fighter than Norton, there is no way possible that he can be more boring than Brad!

Brad Norton was big, gritty and fought, doesn't mean he was a good hockey player. Brad Ference ever playing on a regular basis for the Wings or any team for that matter is a pipe dream.

There's a difference though. Brad Ference has been able to keep a roster spot on other teams in the past, unlike Norton. He can also do other things then just fight, unlike Norton.

Don't try to throw this off as a Brad Norton signing. I have a feeling Ference will be a much better player then that.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Berkhoel is a minor league goaltender roughly analogous to what Joey MacD was for us...

Seems pretty unlikely that we've picked up Berkhoel. I can't see a solid reason for it, given the presence of Howard et al in the system.

Actually, now that McIntyre got traded, MacDonald got picked up on waivers, Liv bolted back to Sweden, and Koopmans is probably retiring, Howieboy is the only goalie in the Wings' farm system. Larsson will stay in Sweden for at least another year I think. We just signed some QMJHL goalie (Gilbert somethingorother) to replace Koopmans in Toledo (or Shawn Burr's new team in Port Huron, is it?), and Berkhoel would be a pretty decent pickup for 2nd string in GR or starter in the ECHL.

Pretty sure that's where Berkhoel comes in. After Howard, our goalie depth is pretty much non-existent at this point, so this signing fits a need.

Edited by MUDSHARK

There's a difference though. Brad Ference has been able to keep a roster spot on other teams in the past, unlike Norton. He can also do other things then just fight, unlike Norton.

Don't try to throw this off as a Brad Norton signing. I have a feeling Ference will be a much better player then that.

Possibly, but he won't be on the Red Wings. He is currently 10th on the depth chart without the depth defensemen even signed.

Actually, now that McIntyre got traded, MacDonald got picked up on waivers, Liv bolted back to Sweden, and Koopmans is probably retiring, Howieboy is the only goalie in the Wings' farm system. Larsson will stay in Sweden for at least another year I think. We just signed some QMJHL goalie (Gilbert somethingorother) to replace Koopmans in Toledo (or Shawn Burr's new team in Port Huron, is it?), and Berkhoel would be a pretty decent pickup for 2nd string in GR or starter in the ECHL.

Pretty sure that's where Berkhoel comes in. After Howard, our goalie depth is pretty much non-existent at this point, so this signing fits a need.

Wow, I'm guilty of not having kept up with our minors situation. I have to second the question, why is Koopmans done? Looking into it, I suppose it has to be injury related. Was it the groin? Berkhoel would presumably pair up well with Howard and perhaps this Pelletier kid we're picking up can sit in the ECHL and develop, so it does indeed seem more likely.

Why is Koopmans going to retire? He's only 23.

Eh, I guess you can only ride the bus and make $250 a week for so long, ya know?

Koopmans wouldn't have gotten any farther tnan occasional AHL stints, and likely would have bounced around the ECHL and (new) IHL. I guess he wants to find something more stable.